St. Charles Exchange
113 S. 7th Street
Louisville, KY 40202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
St. Charles Exchange
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://stcharlesexchange.com/
- Phone: (502) 618-1917
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30pm - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Happy Hour Monday-Friday 4:00-6:00
Friday & Saturday 4:00-12:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Mark Ford
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
A word from St. Charles Exchange
The St. Charles Exchange provides casually elegant environment that is unique to America, not just Louisville, with world class food and an award winning cocktail program. Please come and enjoy a great product in a space that truly captures the history of Louisville!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
St. Charles Exchange - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
St. Charles Exchange reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)fit for foodies (44)neighborhood gem (26)romantic (25)good for groups (24)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (18)notable wine list (13)late-night find (10)great for lunch (9)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- They need to make some changes....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Worst service we have ever had, had to hunt him down for everything we needed. Food was nothing spectacular for the prices. It all sounded great but wasn't. They had a jazz duo but failed to turn off the house music which we ended up asking them to do. The place is beautiful and the hostess was quite nice. Hope they get it together soon.
- Great food, not-so-great serviceThursdayDinerDined on 11/20/2014We had the mussels appetizer, brussels sprouts and cabbage sides, and the scallop and pork belly entree. All of the food was terrific. But the server was absent for long periods and used dishes were slow to disappear. He also did not serve the coffee properly and was slow with refills. The manager explained that he had been called in to fill in because they were busier than expected, but also admitted that that did not excuse poor service. He comped our dessert. I'll be back but will hope for a different serving experience next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodie experience!SuzKDined on 11/18/2014My husband and I had an amazing meal at St Charles Exchange, this chef has incredible talent and plate flavors are paired very well. To start my husband ordered a Manhattan, which he loved & I ordered a glass of Pinot Noir which was a good value & tasty. The deviled eggs appetizer exceeded expectations and my entrée, Steak Diane, was pure perfection. My husband ordered the Scallops & Pork Belly which was delicious as well. The staff is professional and attentive, ambiance good and again, my compliments to the kitchen & chef! This is a hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaraDined on 11/14/2014My husband and I were in Louisville for our anniversary and St. Charles Exchange was recommended by a local friend. Great atmosphere, we had the deviled eggs appetizer which was different and delicious. I had the pork chop which was phenomenal my husband had the chicken and egg and it was pretty good. The server knew it was a our anniversary and offered us a complimentary dessert which was very thoughtfu. Would love to try this place with a group in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown HideawayNolaKamDined on 11/12/2014Convenient to downtown meetings, museums and hotels. No fuss, not your typical steakhouse. It has character and diverse menu with a interesting drink menu. Great bar if you just want to grab a drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luxury at LunchVernoDined on 11/5/2014I loved this spot for lunch. Had no idea it had such a great location downtown. I am at the courthouse a lot so this was the perfect spot for a lunch meeting. It is a beautiful spot inside and out. Parking was very close and easily acessible. Staff was very attentive. Would love to go back for a special occasion at dinnertime soon.Special Features:
- One of our favorites!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014It was great as always! We loved the scallops and pork belly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 5 in LouisvilleJakeCanonDined on 10/25/2014I have never had a bad experience here. I love the bar area its a classic look with a modern cocktail selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great goodVeggieGirlDined on 10/23/2014suprized my daughter with dinner and Actors Theater DraculaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had to rushTintinDined on 10/17/2014Food and wine very good. Atmosphere quite nice. They are known for their cocktails. However, on this visit we had informed the hostess and server that we had a theatre curtain at 8pm. We had arrived at 6:15. Our orders did not come quickly despite our mentioning the problem twice again. We had to quickly eat an expensive meal to make our schedule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Overall excellent experience eating there. However when I called before coming about parking, the lady told me it was free to park in "parking garage" - well I think she meant parking "lot" and misstated which can be easy to do but I passed this on to two other couples. It caused us unnecessary expense and felt that was unfair since it was her mis-communication that caused this.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceChrisVIPDined on 10/13/2014Great experience at ST. Charles. One of the few places in Louisville to offer Bourbon flights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceKandTVIPDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I ate hear prior to going to a show at Kentucky Center. We were pleasantly surprised. To start, this is a great place to have a drink, especially bourbon. The attention to detail, down to the ice cubes, is outstanding. The food was outstanding, preparation and selection. Several unique choices. We will be returning.Special Features:
- lafongVIPDined on 10/10/2014Came to hear Ron Jones but will be back for the food. Very good food and service.Special Features:
- Great DT Place Before ShowBarbknowsbestDined on 10/8/2014We chose this restaurant because it was within walking distance of the KY Center, so we could park ahead of the rush, have a leisurely dinner, and walk to the show. The service was prompt, and the waiter was excellent and made sure we were done before the show. We had beet risotto, arugula salad, scallops, & brussels sprouts. Salad, sprouts, and beet risotto were superb. Portions were ample. Scallops were tasty, well-cooked, rich, but they skimped on the cheese grits needed to balance flavor. Overall, the scallop entrée and brussels sprouts were good but a tad greasy and good but not great. I got prosciutto on the side. Glad I did b/c it was too greasy to eat. The food was beautifully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, very poor serviceJAS1113Dined on 9/20/2014I can't hate on this place too much because my food was devine, and the atmosphere was pretty cool. But our service was terrible. In all honesty we got better service at the cracker barrel in La Grange. i was a server once upon a time so i do not believe in not tipping, but it certainly crossed my mind Saturday at St Charles Exchange.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Old Fashioned in LouisvilleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We always enjoy St. Charles Exchange. Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Control Issues?loueaterVIPDined on 9/16/2014How does a top tier restaurant serve inedible potato chips at lunch? These chips were the stalest items I have experienced in my life. Both my dining companion and I left our untouched save for the first bite. The server never commented on this.
- ExcellentfromLouisvilleVIPDined on 9/13/2014St Charles Exchange continues to impress every time I go. I had a pre-theatre dinner, and as a solo diner I was in no way neglected.Special Features:
- First time visitMarkHVIPDined on 9/12/2014Our first visit and it was really good. The best cocktails in town with solid food to match. Loved the Deviled eggs! We will make this a regular stop when downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would recommend this resturantMarieDined on 9/11/2014I was trying to plan a special day for my husband's 40th birthday. I wanted to make it a Bourbon theme birthday. I had scheduled my reservation on Open Table. In the special request box, I listed it was a 40th Birthday celebration and I had a gluten allergy. St Charles Exchange had called me to confirm reservation, also stated that they could accommodate my gluten allergy. I was greeted by a very pleasant hostess, who informed me that the Chef had circled & noted items that were gluten friendly. I was very impressed ! Lot's of choices with the Bourbon, wine and drink menu. The food& dessert were out of this world. Our service and over all experience was one we will remember. My husband and I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereOutoftownerDined on 8/30/2014We loved sitting at the bar. Gorgeous bar with a great view out the back window. Their famous Old Fashions were delicious! I didn't love the seating arrangements for dinner. It was our anniversary, we slid into bench along side someone eating alone. I felt the intimacy of our dinner was compromised. My husband had the steak which was good but cooked a little more then he prefers. I had the scallops with grits. The three scallops were good but the grits were in the shape of little muffins similar shape as the scallops. The grits were not creamy as I had anticipated and I was disappointed since this was an expensive entrée. We had the deviled egg appetizer which was very good. I definitely recommend the deviled eggs.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceNDC1088Dined on 8/29/2014Food was delicious and service was friendly, prompt and accommodating. Chris our server was kind and attentive. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Nice place in the heart of downtownHoosierVIPDined on 8/26/2014If you're looking for a little more of an upscale lunch, this is the place. It's a little pricey, but quite a nice place to have a business lunch or splurge lunch with friends. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Good food, great ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I had two sides, Brussel sprouts and grits. It was a great size for dinner and really tasty! I tried my friend's mussels, excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AppleberryDined on 8/12/2014Outstanding food, wonderful atmosphere for dining. Always love coming here. This ONE night, the service was slow because there was a large group there and our waiter had too many individuals to serve. This is the only time this has happened, and they can be forgiven. This is NOT a regular occurrence. I will return frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Drink Bonanzamelodyk99Dined on 8/11/2014Great food, unique food and drinks. Will be back for sure. I mean - peanut butter infused bourbon? How could I not go back?Special Features:
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/9/2014I cant say enough about what a GREAT experience we had at St Charles Exchange. Excellent food, outstanding service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014This restaurant is always a solid choice. I ordered a steak this time and it was definitely on par with the city's finest. Live music ( a jazz duo ) was playing and that enhanced an already terrific atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stoessdinnerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Wonderful service and excellent food. Atmosphere was also really nice.Special Features:
- omondiDined on 8/1/2014Loved the ambiance. The place is lovely. It was difficult to hear the person across from me when the music was being played. (I had to ask my guest to repeat a number of times.) I wonder how you could remedy that situation. Other than that obstacle, I enjoyed being there. The appetizer was creative and excellent. The entree was good. My guest loved the chicken. The server was quite knowledgeable regarding the menu. This is the first time anyone indicated that they would respond to a comment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 147 reviews are from the St. Charles Exchange reviews archive.
- Would not recommend it.GourmetDinerDined on 7/25/2014The ambience was too dark and too quiet for Friday night. Food was decent but service was very sketchy. The Bar had very interesting drinks , and we had a couple of new drinks. Restaurant needs to improve overall to make it an exciting place for Friday night dining scene.Special Features:
- omondiDined on 7/18/2014I have eaten here many times and consider it one of my favorite restaurants in Louisville. I came, specifically, because of the live music offered on that night. I will come back when the music is offered again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/15/2014I have dined at St. Charles Exchange numerous times, and it just continues to evolve and improve. It's one of my favorites in downtown Louisville: Creative menu and well prepared food; Gorgeous historic ambience; Welcoming, friendly service; Lively bar scene; Nice private room for events.... What more can you ask for?Special Features:
- Great food!!!!!ehoeyVIPDined on 7/14/2014I had the red quinoa salad, and I found it to be one of the best. I would come back and order the same thing in a heartbeat!!!!Special Features:
- Great ambiencedineout1Dined on 6/30/2014Enjoyed dinner at St Charles Exchange. Server was attentive and knowledgeable. Only suggestion is to increase menu choices, especially for appetizers. Overall, nice restaurant. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014I love to eat and try new restaurants. I lived in Charleston, SC for 8 years where the food scene was vibrant and always exciting. I actually dated a food critic and chef who recently published a cookbook. I take the dining experience seriously and was more than excited to try St. Charles Exchange. To start, the restaurant was empty at 8:00 on a Friday night. We were one of maybe four tables eating. The ambiance was lacking as was the experience in general. We had cheese and meats to start and then split the burger. We waited a long time for our drinks to be refilled. A family of three was seated right next to us and the entire place was empty. We could hear the full conversation of the people next to us. All in all, really disappointing.
- DEParkVIPDined on 6/23/2014Very limited menu and relatively high prices. OK but not great
- Beautiful setting, food was averageKatrinaLynn1211Dined on 6/20/2014This restaurant is gorgeous and it's located in a fun part of town. The cocktail menu is also great. The menu sounded very creative, but the execution was average. We were a little disappointed. The deviled eggs were yummy though!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014The food was poor, at best. I got the burger ordered medium, and it came out medium rare. My husband got the Pompano special, and it was dry and over-cooked. The green beans were great. We eat out four nights per week and will not come back to this restaurant. It is a shame, as we loved the ambiance of the outdoor seating.Special Features: