St. Charles Exchange
113 S. 7th Street
Louisville, KY 40202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
St. Charles Exchange
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://stcharlesexchange.com/
- Phone: 5026181917x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30pm - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Happy Hour Monday-Friday 4:00-6:00
Friday & Saturday 4:00-12:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Mark Ford
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
A word from St. Charles Exchange
The St. Charles Exchange provides casually elegant environment that is unique to America, not just Louisville, with world class food and an award winning cocktail program. Please come and enjoy a great product in a space that truly captures the history of Louisville!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
St. Charles Exchange - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
St. Charles Exchange reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)special occasion (34)romantic (30)good for groups (20)neighborhood gem (20)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (11)hot spot (10)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (10)great for brunch (4)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014We loved sitting at the bar. Gorgeous bar with a great view out the back window. Their famous Old Fashions were delicious! I didn't love the seating arrangements for dinner. It was our anniversary, we slid into bench along side someone eating alone. I felt the intimacy of our dinner was compromised. My husband had the steak which was good but cooked a little more then he prefers. I had the scallops with grits. The three scallops were good but the grits were in the shape of little muffins similar shape as the scallops. The grits were not creamy as I had anticipated and I was disappointed since this was an expensive entrée. We had the deviled egg appetizer which was very good. I definitely recommend the deviled eggs.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceNDC1088Dined on 8/29/2014Food was delicious and service was friendly, prompt and accommodating. Chris our server was kind and attentive. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Nice place in the heart of downtownHoosierDined on 8/26/2014If you're looking for a little more of an upscale lunch, this is the place. It's a little pricey, but quite a nice place to have a business lunch or splurge lunch with friends. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Good food, great ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I had two sides, Brussel sprouts and grits. It was a great size for dinner and really tasty! I tried my friend's mussels, excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AppleberryDined on 8/12/2014Outstanding food, wonderful atmosphere for dining. Always love coming here. This ONE night, the service was slow because there was a large group there and our waiter had too many individuals to serve. This is the only time this has happened, and they can be forgiven. This is NOT a regular occurrence. I will return frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Drink Bonanzamelodyk99Dined on 8/11/2014Great food, unique food and drinks. Will be back for sure. I mean - peanut butter infused bourbon? How could I not go back?Special Features:
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/9/2014I cant say enough about what a GREAT experience we had at St Charles Exchange. Excellent food, outstanding service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014This restaurant is always a solid choice. I ordered a steak this time and it was definitely on par with the city's finest. Live music ( a jazz duo ) was playing and that enhanced an already terrific atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stoessdinnerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Wonderful service and excellent food. Atmosphere was also really nice.Special Features:
- omondiDined on 8/1/2014Loved the ambiance. The place is lovely. It was difficult to hear the person across from me when the music was being played. (I had to ask my guest to repeat a number of times.) I wonder how you could remedy that situation. Other than that obstacle, I enjoyed being there. The appetizer was creative and excellent. The entree was good. My guest loved the chicken. The server was quite knowledgeable regarding the menu. This is the first time anyone indicated that they would respond to a comment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommend it.GourmetDinerDined on 7/25/2014The ambience was too dark and too quiet for Friday night. Food was decent but service was very sketchy. The Bar had very interesting drinks , and we had a couple of new drinks. Restaurant needs to improve overall to make it an exciting place for Friday night dining scene.Special Features:
- omondiDined on 7/18/2014I have eaten here many times and consider it one of my favorite restaurants in Louisville. I came, specifically, because of the live music offered on that night. I will come back when the music is offered again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/15/2014I have dined at St. Charles Exchange numerous times, and it just continues to evolve and improve. It's one of my favorites in downtown Louisville: Creative menu and well prepared food; Gorgeous historic ambience; Welcoming, friendly service; Lively bar scene; Nice private room for events.... What more can you ask for?Special Features:
- Great food!!!!!ehoeyVIPDined on 7/14/2014I had the red quinoa salad, and I found it to be one of the best. I would come back and order the same thing in a heartbeat!!!!Special Features:
- Great ambiencedineout1Dined on 6/30/2014Enjoyed dinner at St Charles Exchange. Server was attentive and knowledgeable. Only suggestion is to increase menu choices, especially for appetizers. Overall, nice restaurant. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014I love to eat and try new restaurants. I lived in Charleston, SC for 8 years where the food scene was vibrant and always exciting. I actually dated a food critic and chef who recently published a cookbook. I take the dining experience seriously and was more than excited to try St. Charles Exchange. To start, the restaurant was empty at 8:00 on a Friday night. We were one of maybe four tables eating. The ambiance was lacking as was the experience in general. We had cheese and meats to start and then split the burger. We waited a long time for our drinks to be refilled. A family of three was seated right next to us and the entire place was empty. We could hear the full conversation of the people next to us. All in all, really disappointing.
- DEParkVIPDined on 6/23/2014Very limited menu and relatively high prices. OK but not great
- Beautiful setting, food was averageKatrinaLynn1211Dined on 6/20/2014This restaurant is gorgeous and it's located in a fun part of town. The cocktail menu is also great. The menu sounded very creative, but the execution was average. We were a little disappointed. The deviled eggs were yummy though!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014The food was poor, at best. I got the burger ordered medium, and it came out medium rare. My husband got the Pompano special, and it was dry and over-cooked. The green beans were great. We eat out four nights per week and will not come back to this restaurant. It is a shame, as we loved the ambiance of the outdoor seating.Special Features:
- Great findLA2KYFoodieVIPDined on 6/7/2014The food and service were incredible, from bar to table. Our waitress was fairly new, but she was great; knowledgeable, courteous, and the right degree of attentiveness. The deviled egg appetizer was better than expected. The Elvis appetizer was also pretty incredible. We have already told our friends they need to go. And, we have to go back, because there are several entrees we want to try. The Beet Risotto was delicious. They also have a nice selection, of desserts. We had the Lemon Creme Brûlée. We sat outside and it was perfect, after sitting at the beautiful bar, for before dinner drinks. They are on the Urban Bourbon Trail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointmentJosephDined on 5/31/2014Service was slow. When food did arrive finally my steak was cold. The options for noise level on here are misleading. I would call it loud, not energetic. This was the second time I'd been, and while the previous time was better than this, it wasn't by much. The facility is phenomenal looking, but the rest leaves a lot to be desired in upscale dinning. There are many other places in town that offer better food, better service, and a better overall experience.
- DisappointingloueaterVIPDined on 5/27/2014Tuesday, May 27, the restaurant was slammed by pre-theater crowds. Trouble began with my husband's bourbon. On the third try, an in-stock bottle was located. My husband orders ice "on the side". The ice was placed in a glass at the start of the bottle hunt. The cubes melted and congealed together into one large lump. Useless. An observant waiter would have noticed. We ordered a soup and a salad, which took over 20 minutes to appear at our table. The soup was room temperature. Clearly, the items were sitting for a period of time in "the pass". The special of the day, a fish, described as like "sea bass" was slightly overcooked. The entire $35 entree was lacking in any flavor other than fishy. This was a disappointing meal.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/20/2014The wait staff was excellent. Number of entree choices was limited but both the pork and salmon dishes were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceJoeTDined on 5/16/2014GM Lauren runs an exceptional and friendly culinary experience. The bourbon flights are a must with over 100 bourbons to choose from.Special Features:
- Slow but worth the waitexercisetoeat48VIPDined on 5/11/2014Loved the food, atmosphere, and price! The servers were very nice but the kitchen was slow, will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but service lackingkktownVIPDined on 5/11/2014The food and drinks were wonderful, but our service was very, very slow. Drinks, food and the check all took a long time to receive. While we had anticipated a relaxed meal, the amount of time to wait for EVERYTHING was too long. Brunch took over 2 hrs. When I asked our server to describe a menu item in detail, he replied "just think brie", without going into any further description as if he didn't know what the ingredients or preparation included.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a good experiencedinnerdatenightDined on 5/10/2014The ambiance of this place is top notch. Very dark and swanky...you feel like you've been transported back in time. The service was excellent! The only draw back is our wait for our dinner was an hour and a half and when our plates arrived, the food temp was lukewarm. The plate presentation was great and the flavors were outstanding. However with the wait and temperature, it was disappointing. We did discreetly discuss this with the manager and she and our server more than made up for it. They knocked off 50% from our bill and gave us all dessert-a bourbon cake topped with a bacon glaze. AMAZING!!! Best dessert we have all ever had. They also gave us a $50 gift card. We will definitely return. However, maybe on a night that is not so busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 129 reviews are from the St. Charles Exchange reviews archive.
- Derby Dinner - poorly executedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014Food itself was very good, but they botched our reservation (in spite of being confirmed by phone and email three times and well in advance), practically made us beg for bread at the table, poured the first wine after food had already been served, and brought coffee well after dessert was served rather than with it. Seemed very understaffed and ill-prepared for a big evening like Derby Dinner. Really soured our experience. How does a restaurant of the caliber of STE not get advance reservations, bread, wine and coffee right for guests paying a prix fix premium for this special evening out?? Should have been much better staffed and prepared, will not return for a special evening.
- Not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2014They have a beautiful bar, but we would barely know because Oaks night we were shuffled into a tent. One of the worst dining experiences in a long time.
- Unique CocktailsMannyTheSaintDined on 5/1/2014Food during derby week was amazing! It was fun to try unique cocktails!Special Features:
- OverpricedJohnDined on 4/26/2014Get you wallet out. My fish was sparse.......... McDonalds fish sandwich would have more on it Drinks are high; wine is high
- JohnVIPDined on 4/26/2014Probably a very good restaurant for many people, however it wasn't my type of food
- St. Charles Dining ExperienceSusanCDined on 4/11/2014I had an early dinner with a friend at St. Charles prior to an orchestra concert. The dining room was not yet overcrowded and bustling with noise and activity. Nothing is wrong with that, of course, as there's a certain energy that comes with it, but the lesser crowded, quieter atmosphere allowed my friend and I to have a nice conversation. Our server was on top of everything and very capable. We told her we had to be at the event at a certain time, and she made sure we were taken care of in a timely fashion. It was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceJovanDined on 4/4/2014This is what white table dining is about - great food, great drink, and top notch service. Courses are well paced and the meal is not hurried. Recommendations for food and wine pairings are on the spot. The ambiance of a historic building is accentuated and complimented by the decor and staff. Very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St. Charles Exchange-almost thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2014Our meal was nice. Presntation was excellent. Matza dumplings with the duck were a little heavy and the bone in ribeye was good not excellent. On the other hand the duck was perfect as were the pork chops and spaetz;leI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeemb1954Dined on 3/29/2014The service and food were great, I was in a party of five, we sat in a quiet booth. Loved the bourbon flights, the staff was very knowledgeable about the bourbon. We all had different entrees and they were all wonderful. The side dishes were large enough to share, and we had plenty of leftovers to take home and enjoy the next day. This is the second time I have eaten there, and will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience and accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2014We visited just before going to a show. The staff was great and facilitated getting us out in time. Service was great, only issue was not placing on item that easily was confusing in the conversation. They made up for it by not charging which was much appreciated but not necessary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took European colleaguesBooneDined on 3/19/2014I live in Louisville and wanted to give my European colleagues a taste of the city. St Charles met all expectations. Food, dessert, drinks were exceptional! Deviled egg appetizer and the Old Fashioned are a must. The maple-bourbon cake with candied bacon was phenominal! This was my second time there. I love it and will keep going back. My colleagues were so impressed. Service was a little slow for my taste, but they may have been keeping their distance because we kept talking business. The atmosphere (volume, lighting) is great for business dinners. Love the high ceilings, all the wood accents around the bar. And it's walking distance to the Louisville Slugger to show off the bat, another great must-see for out-of-towners.Special Features:
- GReat as alwaysLouZVIPDined on 3/15/2014Great food, terrific service and attentive to the fact we had to make the theatre curtain. All went wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Experience!diner42Dined on 3/14/2014The food was excellent along with the variety of the menu. The portions were large. The cocktail menu was notable along with the bourbon flights and whiskey selection. The service was moderately fast. The atmosphere was lively and crowded. The interior reminded me of a classic nineteenth century restaurant. But, everything was brand new and very clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.