St. Arnold's Mussel Bar- Dupont
1827 Jefferson Place NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
St. Arnold's Mussel Bar- Dupont
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://adamsmorganbar.com/
- Phone: 2028331321
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday, Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00am, Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from St. Arnold's Mussel Bar- Dupont
St. Arnold’s on Jefferson is a popular Dupont Circle mussel restaurant. A must is the mussels cooked in duck fat.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
St. Arnold's Mussel Bar- Dupont - Best Restaurants in Dupont Circle ›
St. Arnold's Mussel Bar- Dupont reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (7)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (5)great for lunch (4)romantic (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Loud but the food is greatTerp86VIPDined on 8/22/2014Very noisy and hard to hear. Also rather dark, though that bothered us less. Food as great, as was service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy bar, good foodMaryFromArlingtonDined on 8/7/2014St. Arnold's has a pub type feel and is dominated by the bar area. 4 of us went for dinner at 7 pm on a Thursday night and the noise level was so high that it was difficult to hear across the table. The service was slow, as mentioned by other reviewers, but that was OK with us because we were celebrating a birthday. The food was very good. Our table ordered bruchetta and pear salads as appetizers, all were excellent. Our entrees were Mussels St Arnold style, Waterzooi, Steak Frites, and Roasted Chicken. Also very good. The Waterzooi was a smaller portion than expected.Special Features:
- Best Mussels in DCfoodie1234Dined on 8/2/2014Can't beat the mussels, definitely a go-to for good food and a fun environment.Special Features:
- Great food!dineoutoftenDined on 7/11/2014Great mussels and the best french fries (frites) in the world!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mussels!AmandaDined on 7/3/2014St. Arnold's is a neighborhood gem. It is small and romantic with great food and beer selection. Just a little on the warm and loud side.Special Features:
- What a letdownOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/11/2014This used to be a five star experience. Their mussels deal was incredible. Now, not only have they raise the price by a dollar and eliminated frites from the special ($3 for a side), but they've reduced the quality of the bread and frites significantly. This was a regular spot and I will not be returning.
- Great Mussels & Belgian BeerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014The onion rings, mussels, frittes and Belgian beer selection were great - especially the Mexican mussels. Would definitely visit again when in DC.Special Features:
- Pretty good but not amazingbostonartsDined on 5/10/2014Loud. Really loud. Service was okay but not great; there were long delays for simple things like getting water. Poor service may have been partly because the waitress couldn't really hear us when we ordered. We had a party of 5 and it was impossible to hear what someone on the other side of the table was saying. The creamy mussels were very good, but my wine broth tasted very fishy. I really wanted to like this spot, but it just didn't live up to the reputation.Special Features:
- The following 38 reviews are from the St. Arnold's Mussel Bar- Dupont reviews archive.
- Great secret by DupontLovebostonDined on 4/20/2014Great place for drinks, mussels if you like that, and good appetizers. Only 2 desert selections but they do have waffles on the menu which were yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious...ErinDined on 4/20/2014I continue to go back to St. Arnold's time after time as the mussels are outstanding. The Belgium waffle on the brunch menu left a lot to be desired - while the waffle was delicious it was not the traditional Belgium waffle I was expecting. I was disappointed as the dessert waffle is a traditional Belgium waffle. The mussels and traditional German beer will keep me coming back...Special Features:
- Noisy, small, and delicious.classicDined on 4/11/2014St. Arnolds on Jefferson fits a lot of diner and drinkers into a garden-level room with a fairly small footprint, but the mussels and specialty Belgian beers are worth it. While the noise may require talking loudly to your friends, the din comes mainly from those in the restaurant and not the music. Overall, it's a bar and one with a great menu of drinks and food. Try the house special mussels at happy hour for almost half-off the menu price.I would recommend this to a friend.
- St Arnold;sChrisGo4Dined on 4/3/2014Having been now 4x to St. Arnold's my husband and I really enjoy the place and constantly recommend it to friends or visitors. It's a great combo of seafood (mussels especially) and beer. There's a great selection of light and dark beers that compliment the food. We haven't ventured too far from the St Arnolds mussels (we add ol bay to spice it up). The fries are also exceptional. The place isn't terribly big, and there's really only one spot for the bar. The happy hour is fantastic for drink and $10 mussel specials so, it does get packed. If you want a table I would highly recommend making a reservation. It's not so big I wouldn't really recommend groups more than 6 but it could work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely need a reservationHelenDined on 3/25/2014The mussels are great; you could drink the sauce it is so good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Belgian and German food/beerBarfoodConnoisseurDined on 3/13/2014St. Arnolds is a nice reprieve from the typical Dupont Circle scene. A dark little basement bar with some of the best mussels and frites you can find around DC. Great for happy hour also... half price mussels!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and server was good.FlyingSaucerDined on 3/10/2014Food and server was good. Waiter was very rude when taking orders and serving water. Probably not going to return because of poor service.Special Features:
- Wow!! Best meal I have hadOkieGreenDined on 2/4/2014Wow!! Best meal I have had in a long time. The mussels were an absolute delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous fun night outPreggoJulieDined on 2/1/2014Great beer selection! Went for girls night and the energy was so high, it was def more of a bar scene than fine dinkng, exactly what we wanted. The jalapeño white wine mussels were to die for, so spicy and just perfect! The house favorite was also good and the grilled salmon too. All the mussels came with fries that were also delicious, very crunchy with a nice sauce on the side (and ketchup). They even added cilantro for us, no charge. The server was very attentive keeping our drinks and beers replenished at all times. I will go back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem - ambiance, drink & foodMichelleDined on 1/30/2014I found St Arnold's online and chose it for a different experience for after work drinks/dinner (rather than the usual American adjusted 'theme' food). The place filled up in a matter of 15 mins and the food, service and ambiance were great and our party enjoyed themselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great musselsLramoDined on 1/25/2014Mussels were awesome!! Will go back. Seating was slightly cramped and it was loud, but it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!DeliciousDined on 1/10/2014Went to St. Arnold's with a group of friends. We each got a pot of mussels and ate them all! The food was fabulous and the beer selection was great--some of my favorite and rare international choices and they will serve you by the liter. Our waitress was very knowledgeable and encouraged us to be adventurous with the menu, and we were glad for it! It's pretty small and a little loud, but absolutely charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waited 20 minutes after originalSalvatoreDined on 11/23/2013Waited 20 minutes after original reservation time to be seated. No apology...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a good decision!ErinDined on 11/22/2013Mussels St Arnold are such a good decision when dining - can't go wrong with any of the Belgium beers on tap too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mussels!DoubleBDined on 11/13/2013It was crowded but they managed to expand our table to accommodate our expanding group. Service was a bit lax, but it was crowded and didn't really bother me. The Mussels and their presentation was outstanding - don't wear white and order the vodka sauce though! Will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overly impressed with St. Arnold'sBobVanceDined on 10/19/2013My wife and I brought a small group of our friends out to St. Arnold's for my wife's birthday (she loves Mussels). Making the reservation was very easy, as they had plenty of availability-- Reserving for Saturday night, made reservation Friday afternoon. I was a little nervous as we walked up to the place, as the look from the outside wasn't stellar. But as soon as we got in, an amazing smell overwhelmed all of us! From the minute we stepped in, the night / dinner did not let us down. The food.... the food was amazing -- All of the food that came to us at St. Arnold's was as if they has JUST PULLED IT from the oven / stove. The beer selection blew my mind-- do not skip out on the 1L mugs, its an experience. WILL RETURN / RECOMMEND!!!Special Features:
- Mussel!KarlVIPDined on 9/28/2013Great dive bar/restaurant in DuPont Circle. We went for brunch on a Saturday morning. Great mussels. Fat and flavorful. Good fries and bread for dipping. Large variety of styles, I had pesto, wife had St Arnold's, friend had scampi. We all agreed that they were really really good. Friend's kid had french toast covered in berries which was also very good. Good selection of Belgium beers including Rodenbach (if you like sour ales).Special Features:
- Great Mussels and beersLWinDCVIPDined on 9/14/2013Have never had anything at St. Arnolds except mussels and beer, but have never been disappointed. They have about 20 saucings for the little black bivalves and all I've tried are very very good. I'm partial to the Spicy White Wine mussels, which are TRULY FREAKIN' SPICY but in a good way. They were very helpful in letting my cousing sample a few beers to pick the one she liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but not greatJerryDined on 8/26/2013I thought the service was slow ...especially when it came time to get the bill. I was there with a large group and the wait staff was not enough to cover the patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Happy Hour!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/13/2013This place has amazing prices for Mussels happy hour. One beer will be more expensive than the actual plate though! They should think about having actual drinks happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food in a BasementANavDined on 7/13/2013The food here was very good. The mussels were good, but not quite as good as Brasserie Beck. The fries were not nearly as good as other Belgian fries I have had (see previous comments about Brasserie Beck). However, the rest of their menu items were very good. We had some nice salads and a delicious crustini topped with blue cheese and poached pear. The restaurant is in a basement which would be great on a fall or winter evening, but a little depressing in summer when you want some sun!Special Features:
- Always GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/3/2013I've lived in Dupont for a year now and have been to St. Arnold's a number of times. Great mussels, great beer selection, and always a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We arrived at 6:15p on a fridayKKeatsDined on 6/14/2013We arrived at 6:15p on a friday and our hostess clued us in to the fact that it was still Happy Hour(til 6:30)- $10 Mussels and $1 off beer! We ordered 4 different mussels- Alsacienne ( a cream broth), St Arnolds (less creamy), Eastern Shore (broth w/ old bay) and Spicy Habanero(broth) -all excellent and served with fresh cut fries ( tasted like they are done in peanut oil) and bread for dipping. We also tried a waffle w/ Nutella-very good. The mussel and beer combo is a fabulous dinner, the service very quick. The place is busy and loud but has a great energetic vibe. We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels and beer selectionEMDCVIPDined on 6/8/2013Mussels and beer selection are great but don't bother with non-mussels.
- Mussel pots, bread, beer....perfectAiredaleVIPDined on 4/13/2013I was with 10 people, and I had made the reservation, and I loved it. In fact, after being in DC multiple times over the years and eating everywhere, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this was my favorite place EVER. Small place, slightly below ground level, no frills inside, but amazing food and a tremendous selection of beer. I would go there on a nightly basis and order mussel pots and beer if I could. (Well, maybe not, but you get the idea.) Even though service wasn't the best (slow, not the most personable) and the place is very small, gave it an outstanding and will stand by it.Special Features:
- Good value, good timeweldaDined on 4/13/2013Food was very good as was service. Prices were excellent value. We were a group of 9 and got attentive service. We would definitely recommend it and plan on returning.Special Features:
- We arrived a little beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2013We arrived a little before our 7:30 reservation and the host told us he had "no idea" when our table would be ready. He seemed angry we were asking and said several times "I can't make people leave." At 8:00 when we asked if there was any movement or if he had a guess when we would be seated he looked exasperated and said "I don't know. It's a small place." I wanted to explain the reason for reservations and the systems that most restaurants used to calculate table availability but I think it was a lost cause. We left right after that. We've heard the food is good but the service, or lack of, means we won't be back.
- Our family of five had 5pmOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2013Our family of five had 5pm reservations at St. Arnold's. We arrived a few minutes early and were seated. While the restaurant was quiet at first, it quickly filled and we were glad for our reservations. The wait staff was incredibly warm and helpful and our food arrived promptly. The mussels were amazing. I ordered the Thai curry mussels and they were among the best I've ever had. My husband loved his Eastern Shore mussels just as much. Our kids enjoyed their pasta, waffle, and chicken wings. Although I would not categorize this as a "family" restaurant in the sense of letting one's kids run around and lots of kid activities, if your kids are used to dining out and behave accordingly, this is a great place to take your family.Special Features:
- We were sat in the back withOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/23/2013We were sat in the back with another large group who could not fit at their table because they had 3 people too many in their party. It made us uncomfortable and eventually left earlier than we liked.
- Excellent mussels and frites!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013Excellent mussels and frites! Very European feeling restaurant. (Read: It is in a basement and you will be sitting right next to someone you don't know, but this isn't a problem at all.) One of to few places in DC where beer comes in litres. The menu isn't terribly extensive where mussels aren't concerned, but there are still some good eats for people who prefer "land-food". The sausage sandwich and the chicken were both excellent. The burger (eaten without bun or prosciutto) was deemed "fine. good, but no better", though I'm not sure that is entirely fair. Waffles with real European Nutella and berries are fantastic. Prices are very reasonable, considering portions. Overall an extremely fun environment with great food and friendly staff.Special Features:
- The food was delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/15/2013The food was delicious and the service once we were seated was great. But Open Table users beware-- the did not honor our reservation. When we arrived and checked in they shrugged and said "okay, but we have all of these people in front of you (who did not have reservations) and no one is leaving tables" We then waited at the bar, which was fine, but do not make a reservation and think that they will honor it-- we waited 45 minutes after our reservation time.
- When we arrived right on timeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/1/2013When we arrived right on time for a Saturday night reservation they did not have the reservation. Claimed all sorts of problems with Open Table that night. To their credit we did get a table, but in the middle with an obstacle between me and my date. If you love mussels and Belgium beer - it is a good option, but you also have to be prepared for close quarters, loud people and rude waiters.Special Features: