St. Arnold's Mussel Bar- Cleveland Park
3433 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
St. Arnold's Mussel Bar- Cleveland Park
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://adamsmorganbar.com/St_Arnolds_Cleveland_Park.html
- Phone: 2026216719
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday, Sunday: 5:00pm - 1:30am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from St. Arnold's Mussel Bar- Cleveland Park
St. Arnold’s is a popular Cleveland Park mussel restaurant. A must is the mussels cooked in duck fat.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
St. Arnold's Mussel Bar- Cleveland Park - Best Restaurants in Cleveland Park ›
St. Arnold's Mussel Bar- Cleveland Park reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (28)great for outdoor dining (22)good for groups (19)fit for foodies (13)vibrant bar scene (11)great for lunch (8)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)hot spot (3)romantic (2)special occasion (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- GraysonDined on 8/30/2014This little place escaped my notice for the longest time, but it is the loveliest place to settle down for a beer (or three). The high row tables along the windows are great for 2 or groups, and when they open the screens on a nice day/night the ambiance and lighting is so laid back and lovely that this is now my go-to in the neighborhood. The staff is also friendly and helpful - thanks for the namesake mussel recommendation, the duck fat was truly fantastic!Special Features:
- Another great locationFulltrendDined on 8/30/2014We were looking forward to visit the CP location and were not disappointed. Food was just as great, atmosphere very relaxed and friendly. Thank you St Arnolds!Special Features:
- Took way too long to do anythingCoCoDined on 8/26/2014We got there and had a reservation. It took them 10 mins to acknowledge we were there, another 10-15 mins to take our drink order and another 30 for our food. Funny thing is that the wait staff were all there standing around. The food was incredible, but the service was lacking. I will still go for the food, but not when I want to share a nice place with someone.Special Features:
- Hustle for MusselsLWinDCVIPDined on 8/25/2014Even though the great bargain, Mussel Mondays, has gone up in price (from $10 for mussels and frites to $11 for the mussels and an extra $3 for the fries), it's still a great deal and the 20+ selection of sauces and broths the mussels are cooked in are all tasty. And the $5.00 New Belgium and Ommegang beers are also a steal.Special Features:
- would go backfood4meDined on 8/22/2014Our party of five ,all enjoyed the mussels. We each ordered a different sauce and shared. It was kind of noisy but we were able to converse by doing a little shouting, lol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissatisfiedVIPDined on 7/31/2014Reasonable mussels, otherwise terrible food. overpriced beer.
- CupcakeWonkVIPDined on 7/25/2014Mussels went up $1 in price! Service downstairs was pretty weak, but had to sit there because only place in restaurant with air conditioning. Mussels were great, as usual, but there were definitely fewer mussels in the pot than I remembered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly focused-excels in specialtySusanVIPDined on 7/12/2014Amazing selection of mussels dishes and beers, including many on few me us. Salads are also lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mussels and beer!JPinDCVIPDined on 7/11/2014St. Arnold's isn't fancy. It's homey and friendly where you might be seated family style, maybe in the funky basement or perhaps upstairs when the weather is right and the walls are all opened up for a breeze. The food is excellent, affordable and tasty. No pretense with the mussels, and you get a decent helping plus fries. The staff know their beers well, and I tried the Rodenbach Sour Ale from Belgium and loved it.Special Features:
- New FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/20/2014Very casual place but great food - if you like mussels. Common tables give you a chance to meet new people. We had three different types of mussels and all were wonderful. Loved the Mussels with Vodka Sauce - tender mussels with a mild sauce so you can taste the mussels.
- Good for happy hourDecadentDinerVIPDined on 6/6/2014Great happy hour specials! Of course we missed them, but it was still delicious and worth it! Yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, relaxed open-air diningFoodie123Dined on 5/31/2014Great brunch restaurant in Cleveland Park for open-air, relaxed environment. They had good drinks (we had mimosas and bellinis) and the drug opera was delicious! Lots of food!Special Features:
- Lively visitGrits25VIPDined on 5/30/2014The staff was accommodating and available. Food and drinks were very enjoyable. Excellent selection and prompt timing for service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stacy441VIPDined on 5/30/2014I love this place and the selection of muscles they offer. However, I have to say, I do not appreciate the recent price increase.Special Features:
- LisaDined on 5/29/2014Mussels were delicious. Great beer variety. Glad to see rest room has been renovated & clean. Noise level very loud - hard to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 111 reviews are from the St. Arnold's Mussel Bar- Cleveland Park reviews archive.
- Perfectly casual and goodLuvgoodfoodandwineVIPDined on 5/17/2014If you're craving mussels and a casual atmosphere - look no further. All the rolling window walls were open on our recent stop so the springs weather was surrounding as we ate (small) mussels in good sauces(garlic& butter/Thai curry/curry cream/Italian). This is a perfect place for sipping beers and wearing a summer sundress, or jeans & a t & meeting friends. Unless you must meet your daily greens quota, no need for salad filled with crunchy rough cut celery/carrots&corn w/blamd dressing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SnowgooseDined on 5/16/2014We had eaten at St. Arnold's several times before and this visit took advantage of the $11 special for mussels. While the preparation of the mussels was standard for St. Arnold's, the size of the mussels was disappointing. The quantity of mussels was the same but the size of the mussels themselves was much much smaller than before. I know that large mussels are tough, but these mussels with typically not much larger than the size of a pea. The beer selection remains fantastic and the prices for the beers are typically what ones would pay in Belgium.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic MusselsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/15/2014Food was great, especially the mussels along with good beer turned out to be a great combo. We did not make it to much more on their menu as we kept ordering more mussels. The service was good, not great, but our server's personality and the restaurant's environment made up for it and we weren't in any kind of hurry. We definitely look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extensive Mussels Menu!GemmyVIPDined on 5/13/2014I stopped off here for an impromptu happy when mussels are $11 and appetizers are half off. I had the classic St. Arnold's mussels with duck fat and they were delicious. The serving of bread is pretty tiny and we were charged an extra $3 each for I'm not sure what since each dish is supposed to come with fries, but the half-priced bottle of Prosecco kept me happy enough. I'd go back for that alone.Special Features:
- Mussels and more musselsfoodieDined on 5/9/2014The menu highlight is a bucket of mussels in your choice of sauce.....everything from Thai chili to carbonara is offered, and everything we tried was delicious. Great way to unwind after a long week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/9/2014Our party of 6 were all overwhelmingly impressed with the food at this neighborhood gem. Great spot!Special Features:
- Very Good ExperienceAnnMDined on 5/3/2014Three of us got mussels they were very good, nice variety on the menu. Belgian beer is emphasized. Very good server. Upstairs was pretty loud, downstairs was less loud but pretty dark - a sports bar atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2014I've been here twice, once during weekend brunch and the other time during dinner on a Friday night. There was a pretty good crowd and energy to the place. Friday night was pretty busy, so noise wasn't super quiet (in case youre looking for quiet). They had the windows opened up on the top floor which makes it feel like your dining outside. They also have a downstairs section that has more of a pub/bar feel. The mussels were outstanding! Will definitely come back for more!Special Features:
- Great musselsLLWFDined on 4/25/2014We enjoyed the house special mussels and the pesto mussels. Very tasty, reasonably good service and reasonable prices. Only complaint was the high noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for mussels...but ...SiggDined on 4/24/2014too noisy, inattentive waitstaff, and the stew had little meat but lots of bones
- Great Restaurant!aslowDined on 4/11/2014The service was awesome and the mussels are amazing! They had a great beer list too!Special Features:
- hungrynDCHungrynDCVIPDined on 3/28/2014Always great food. Besides the mussels, the wings and fries are terrific, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come for the beer, stay for foodDisplacedTarheelDined on 3/27/2014Nearly raucous by 7:00 p.m.; reservations recommended. A wide variety of European beers on-tap, at prices reminding you they are imported. Seemingly authentic food items; in hearty portions. Servers seem to want to be attentive most of the time. Everyone has their own tastes; many of the reviews rave about this beer or another--try something in a .3L serving, or, ask for a sample if you're completely unsure. The Classic White Wine Mussels remind me much of that same dish served in Brussels. Probably it was the atmosphere of Brussels which makes me think the Euro-mussels tasted better. My dining partner is a fan of the house-made meatloaf. He observes it's a pity that such a hearty dish is so under-appreciated by food snobs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great spotjoansDined on 3/24/2014Great mussels. Fabulous fries. Great beers. Good value at Happy Hour and specials. Otherwise, it does get pricy if u like beer. St. Arnolds is absolutely worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was TerribledpbeachDined on 3/22/2014Food & beer were good - service was terrible. One person at our table didn't get their food until everyone else had finished eating. Requested items (refills, utensils, napkins, etc) forgotten about. They need a waiter downstairs rather than relying on bartender to wait on food customers.
- YES - MusselsJEB1VIPDined on 3/22/2014Fun place to go, Lively and friendly. Staff polite and speedy even though newbies. Mussels in more recipes than I have ever seen. Classic version is solid and a decent size serving. Will go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little gemMusseliteDined on 3/10/2014The occasion was an 80th birthday (for a very cool lady who has lived in the neighborhood all her life). A really wonderful time was had by all. Staff were absolutely amazing - incredibly attentive and accommodating. And ohhhh those St Arnold's mussels... The only complaint was - how come it has taken her so long to find it?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Mussels!NAndersonDined on 3/8/2014We enjoyed a birthday dinner for a group of 12 people at St. Arnold's. The service was very attentive and handled our larger group well. The mussels and frites were fantastic and a nice change of pace. We probably should have taken their original suggestion and had our dinner down in the abbey but the upstairs was a lot of fun too. I definitely plan to go back for dinner again sometime.Special Features:
- Always a good choiceXandraPiDined on 2/20/2014Great food, great service, and a lot of room downstairs... St. Arnold's is always a solid choice for a random Thursday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A 2 reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/16/20142 cold. No double door to keep the 30 degree weather outside. 2 loud. Music was WAY too loud for a restaurant/bar 2 little cheese on the French onion soup and the onions were't caramelized. Barely cooked 2 be honest Mussels were tasty but 2 small 2 inattentive was the service This was 2 bad because we were really looking forward to Brussels style mussels and frites. Actually the frites were tasty, but by Belgium standards the portion was 2 small.Special Features:
- We liked it!DCJoeDined on 2/16/2014Four of us had a great "mussel" experience at St. Armand"s. Delicious, and great choices in Belgian beer. Two concerns: 1) They charge for extra dipping bread. This seems like an annoying and unnecessary charge. 2) So noisy you really cannot converse at your table. (There is a downstairs Abbey bar that is quiet--too quiet--because nobody goes down there. Anyway, it is a neighborhood gem that is well worth the visit from time to time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A basement with charmOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014My third time at this small DC chain, the Abbey - that is - the basement bar, proved full of character. Food menus are the same: it's about the mussels and the burger. Beer menu varies based on location, so be attentive if you are after one Belgian brew in particular. Service was a bit lax, perhaps ambivalent is more precise, which is fine when one is there to chill for the evening, but especially with the large assortment of unfamiliar beers, it would be better to interact with someone who wanted to share his knowledge and opinion. Overall, a swell spot. Downstairs is a quiet haunt to which I'll returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and beerPhytogirlDined on 2/7/2014St. Arnold's Mussel bar had great food i.e. the mussel dish selection and a great beer selection. I liked to old style wooden table and benches. However, the dinning area can get a bit loud with large crowds. There is a separate bar area downstairs that I did not get try. Maybe next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pots of Mussels for Everyone!davelDined on 1/31/2014We've been to St. Arnolds a few times and never have a bad experience. Their happy hour is great, with the mussel buckets and beer. We usually get a few pots and share as a group. Service is always spot on, there to get you more pots, but not overbearing. And it's a neat corner in Cleveland Park, sort of hidden, though enough know about St. Arnolds to find it. Looking forward to my next meal there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The happy hour mussels specialeatwellDined on 1/27/2014The happy hour mussels special is awesome. Recommended for an early dinner or office happy hour.Special Features: