The Squeaky Bean
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Squeaky Bean
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thesqueakybean.com/
- Phone: (303) 623-2665
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Cocktail Hour: 4:00pm - 6:00pm Daily
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Bingo Brunch: 1:00pm - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Max Mackissock
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Squeaky Bean
Thank you for your interest in The Squeaky Bean! We strive to create a unique and memorable dining experience by offering exceptional cuisine, wine, and cocktails in a cozy, communal atmosphere. Open for dinner 5 nights and Sunday Brunch, our Progressive-Seasonal fare and classicaly-inspired bar program combine to conjure a sense of interest and intrigue. Cocktail hour 4 - 6 pm. Explore your Inner Bean!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Squeaky Bean reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (102)special occasion (42)hot spot (38)good for groups (35)neighborhood gem (32)vibrant bar scene (22)great for brunch (22)great for lunch (18)romantic (16)notable wine list (12)great for outdoor dining (8)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Nice change of paceKokoDined on 6/3/2014Went here for dinner on a Tuesday evening and had a nice dinner and great service. The menu is somewhat limited but both of our entrees were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every. Damn. Time.RedsayerDined on 5/30/2014The squeaky bean is not always in our price range...but when it is, we have an amazing time! From exceptional drinks to inventive and delectable food--they just don't stop. The servers are hilarious, insightful, and just about perfect. If you're splurging anywhere else in Denver, you need to come here. Just once. Then you'll be back again and again!Special Features:
- Love Squeaky BeantigertigerVIPDined on 5/28/2014Always something different and imaginative going on at the Bean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HoodieFoodieVIPDined on 5/22/2014We visited Squeaky Bean for the first time last week. The food was delightful - brussel sprouts with a Thai flair, an unusual eastern style spaghetti with squid ink noodles, and beef two ways. The beef was tender, flavorful, and juicy. The spaghetti was a trip, and well-worth a try. The red berry galette, served steaming hot in a skillet, topped off the culinary experience very well. While the food was delicious, we found our server to be a little over the top with overtly and promoting various menu items. I don't mind suggestions or explanations, but I don't appreciate a sales job. I hope that this behavior was unique to our server and not an overarching philosophy at this restaurant.
- Uniquely right!Denver400Dined on 5/17/2014Each item that we ordered at the Squeaky Bean was a unique preparation of wonderful fresh things treated to a maximizing flavor development process. The ubiquitous brussels sprout in the very capable hands of Squeaky Bean was a combination of crunchy but slightly charred, briny, pistachio, peanut and the ultimate interesting but crown, cornflakes. Flavor wise, it was up hill from there. Yum!
- Great, great, great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2014I've eaten at the Bean several times now. Absolutely wonderful! Always creative. I will be honest and say that I was worried when Max left. But Theo has left nothing to be desired! I will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre , at bestJordanVIPDined on 5/11/2014The eggs benedict muffin was brittle and burnt , the eggs warm , not hot. The hash lacked veggies on my plate and pork on my son`s . The potatoes on the hash tasted and looked they were frozen and thrown in a quick fryer. The bloody mary undrinkable...
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2014Excellent dining experience. Creative and fresh menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was goodscott5864VIPDined on 5/9/2014I wish the menu had been up dated on the web site,i had trouble finding something to eat, i got the Lamb Shank but it was covered with English Pea puree and i don't like pea's, the lamb was good but i had to scrape the peas off , the Uncle Jessie was great and the App's were Great,My wife 's meal was also very good. This is a great place to eat i will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/3/2014Nice drinks and wine list. Some ambitious combinations of things in dishes. Some worked, others just were kind of a mess. Credit for trying, but simplifying things might have helped. The good: Beet starter, Octopus/Ribeye starter, House made sausage was solid. The Octopus was quite tasty - probably my favorite of the night. The messy: Lamb shank - was undersalted and just had too much going on - fell flat. Cool room/location, but felt kind of canned/unauthentic to me. Waitress was great. I wouldn't make it a point to return, but wouldn't avoid it either if someone invited me along. Decent restaurant.
- Not inpressed!BarbsyDined on 4/26/2014The staff was friendly, but it was too noisy and very small portions for the prices that were charged. Although the food had a good flavor, we did get what we paid for.
- KeenanDined on 4/26/2014Everything was delicious, especially the brussel sprouts and quail dishes! Will definitely be dining here again.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerMedit8chykDined on 4/26/2014Six of us were seated in the bar. We shared half a dozen plates of appetizers and then moved on to the entrees. The vegetarian dish was by far the best of the bunch. Oh, and the cocktails were fabulous. Desserts were lovely. The wait staff was attentive to our gluten free friend.Special Features:
- Disappointingaac1128VIPDined on 4/25/2014We had really been looking forward to dining here for quite some time. We were all very disappointed in the quality of our entrees. Sadly, We will not return.Special Features:
- Changed MenuKtMacDined on 4/25/2014I used to love the 4 course meal for $60 deal. Pretty disappointed that they changed it. Now, the courses are "chef's choice" and you don't get to choose your own meals.Special Features:
- Great for foodiesLuvhealthyfoodDined on 4/25/2014For those who thrive on healthy unique cuisine, this is the place!! Wonderful food, great service, quality food! Highly recommend!!Special Features:
- Awesome!denverjayhawkDined on 4/20/2014We went for Easter brunch and it was delightful- they even sent us home with flowers! Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS FOR FOODIES...FANTASTIC!SandydesignsDined on 4/19/2014FOOD CHOICES ARE UNIQUE AND BEAUTIFULLY EXECUTED...WE ENOYED EVERY BITE. "OUT OF THE BOX" DRINK & WINE MENU. THE BEAN CARRIES UNUSUAL SELECTIONS NOT FOUND IN OTHER ESTABLISHMENTS THAT ARE REASONABLY PRICED TO PAIR WITH THE DISHES. GREAT IF YOU WANT SOMETHING DIFFERENT. "THE SQUEAKY BEAN" IS EASILY MY FAVORITE RESTAURANT IN DENVER.Special Features:
- Trying too hardFoodloverDined on 4/17/2014First time at the new location & my memory of the Squeaky Bean was much better than this recent experience. The service was attentive but the food tried too hard. The chicken pate was probably the highlight of the meal. But our entrees were salty & fussy with too much going on too appreciate the real flavors. And the same applied to the pot au crime for dessert. Didn't feel worthy a repeat visit.
- Excellent BruchSjoliesDined on 4/13/2014We loved that they did reservations. The service was prompt. The food was good except for the side of bacon. It is made with something icky sweet and there was too much of the icky sweet. In fact, there was a puddly of the icky sweet stuff left on the plate when the bacon finished. Other than that, great place. We'd go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite downtown restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/12/2014This is currently the best restaurant in downtown Denver! Amazing food, friendly professional service, and doesn't break the bank. Truly an excellent establishmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little weird, but wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/11/2014Service was attentive and knowledgeable, but not intrusive. More descriptive menu would have been helpful--classic bagna cauda, for example, is a hot oil dip, not a salad dressing. As a dressing, there was too much anchovy for our taste. But brussels sprouts were fabulous, beef medallions and brisket with creamed spinach "froth" were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good overallHBerryDined on 4/10/2014I have several friends that have ranted and raved over how great the Squeaky Bean is. This generally set my expectations very high for food quality and service. They have a notable cocktail list with many different options to choose from along with a good beer list. I didn't take a peak at the wine list as I stuck with cocktails for the night. The service was very good and attentive but not overbearing. I had the lamb shank - which was good but not exceptional. Prices are what to be expected for the type of restaurant and I felt we got our monies worth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the BrunchKellyDined on 4/6/2014We really dug the brunch. Good food, great service. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch in a long time...HE12Dined on 4/6/2014If you are needing a new brunch spot without a wait….you need to check out the Squeaky Bean. It was a little pricier, but the quality of food and service were absolutely worth it…..donut holes while you wait, and they have a good deal on a jug of mimosas. Clearly you can't go wrong. We are benedict fiends and my friend and I had two of the best benedicts I have ever had….ever! It's that good. And don't even get me started on the bacon that comes with something sweet and spicy on it….sigh, brunch heaven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/5/2014We were a huge fan of this restaurant and often booked here for special occasions. But I guess they have changed chefs, and not for the better. The food was very mediocre, arrived cold after a very long wait, and, in a couple of instances, such as the lamb shank in a neon green sauce, just plain weird and unappetizing. The pappardelle dish had no flavor at all. The server did not know the wine list. It was my husband's birthday, which we mentioned when we ordered dessert. Most upscale restaurants would comp a dessert for a birthday, or, at the very least, put a candle on it, but we got neither. So sad. Unless I hear that they have cleaned up their act, we won't be back.
- One of our favoritesMagsterVIPDined on 4/4/2014Another terrific meal at Squeaky Bean! We go every time my brother visits. For appetizers we had meatballs (bit spicy for me, but delicious) and octopus, he said it was great. He had a hearts of palm main course out of curiosity and it was unexpected but delightful. Someone had quail cordon bleu - because she believed that there is no good way to cook quail, it's so dry. But now we're going to try this version ourselves. I had salmon and loved it and the mysterious little veggies surrounding it. Because we indulged in their strong and tasty cocktails, we were too full for dessert. The server was knowledgeable and encouraging. We had trouble with the noise level - which made conversation difficult.Special Features:
- The Squeaky Bean has becomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/3/2014The Squeaky Bean has become one of our favorite dining spots. it's great for a bite before attending the theater, dining with friends, or stopping by for drinks later in the evening. Liver Pate is the best we have sampled outside of Paris. Each time we have been there the staff treats us as if we a special guests.Special Features:
- This was our first time, weOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/29/2014This was our first time, we try many Denver restaurants and found the food here was different from the others and will be back to try what we didn't the first time. The menu changes each week so that will be several more trips. The wait staff was mostly prompt and was knowledgeable about the food.Special Features:
- Quirky and AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2014I fully enjoyed both the food and the atmosphere. The food is amazingly original and perfectly made. If you're willing to spend a bit of money on a night out, I would absolutely recommend The Squeaky Bean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightFoodFaceDined on 3/26/2014We ate here early on a Wednesday night before seeing a show. Food was delicious and had a new American flare. Brussel Sprouts were delicious, octopus appetizer was different and good (I'm not a huge octopus fan, my husband loved it). The meatballs were out of this world and I enjoyed the mussels. The apple dessert was to die for! Service was very good. Overall, great experience and we will be going back!Special Features:
- Awesome brunch experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/23/2014We let the brunch happen and our server was a big part of that. I think his name was Brody, and he made our experience outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favoriteNathanDined on 3/21/2014All I can say is our experience was perfect beginning to end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I finally got hereout2eatDined on 3/21/2014I had heard about Squeaky Bean from several folks - all touting the wonderful food. I think there are some execution issues in the kitchen. The bison riblets were so tough - it was impossible to get the meat off the bone. Other dishes seemed under-seasoned and bland. Overall, I thought the food was good - but left out the wow factor. I would, however, try them again. Out waitress was really nice and really went out of her way to make the dinner nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun menu, great cocktails!zombi3fishDined on 3/15/2014The menu seems all over the place, but once you start ordering it all falls into place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmospherePilotbumVIPDined on 3/14/2014The food was amazing. Great atmosphere. I'll definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LocationRustyDined on 3/14/2014The Squeaky Bean has a great location and the restaurant is a fun experience. I was not impressed with the food though as too many different tastes and sauces. Very rich food.Special Features:
- Squeaky Bean has risen toOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/12/2014Squeaky Bean has risen to great heights in the Denver dining scene. The fried chicken is mouthwatering. The grilled octopus diving. Don't miss a meal here.Special Features:
- Amazing discoveries and flavorsJWKoolDined on 3/11/2014Squeaky Bean's new location has the best décor in LODO. The menu options, even for vegetarians, is amazing- with the chef featuring excellent flavor profiles like mint in the brussels sprouts. The cheese board is also one of the best in Denver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing First VisitNativeVIPDined on 3/7/2014After passing by this restaurant near the Pepsi Center numerous times after games. I decided to stop by for a bite and drinks before the Nuggets/Lakers game. In short, the bartender was rude and our waitress wouldn't stop talking when making menu suggestions. It was exhausting, however, we did take her up on two items she had mentioned; an appetizer of brussel sprouts and an entree combining octopus and steak. Unfortunately, there was far more octo than the two tiny rectangle pieces of steak at $19. Bottom line, other than being a nice venue with friendly hostesses, I wasn't impressed enough to make a second visit anytime soon.Special Features: