The Squeaky Bean
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Squeaky Bean
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thesqueakybean.com/
- Phone: 3036232665x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Cocktail Hour: 4:00pm - 6:00pm Daily
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Bingo Brunch: 1:00pm - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Max Mackissock
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Squeaky Bean
Thank you for your interest in The Squeaky Bean! We strive to create a unique and memorable dining experience by offering exceptional cuisine, wine, and cocktails in a cozy, communal atmosphere. Open for dinner 5 nights and Sunday Brunch, our Progressive-Seasonal fare and classicaly-inspired bar program combine to conjure a sense of interest and intrigue. Cocktail hour 4 - 6 pm. Explore your Inner Bean!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Squeaky Bean - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
The Squeaky Bean reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)special occasion (45)neighborhood gem (34)hot spot (33)good for groups (27)romantic (24)vibrant bar scene (22)great for brunch (22)notable wine list (19)great for lunch (16)great for outdoor dining (10)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014First time eating here. Super cute place. Our server was awesome-made the difference for the evening. He helped us pick a bottle of wine from their neat, eclectic choices. Then he made sure we enjoyed our entrees-best fried chicken ever! We'll be back for more chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014The food was ok but the service was awful. We will probably try it again to give it another try because we heard great things, just had a bad experience hopefully.
- Good but something missing...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/23/2014The wait and service staff did a great job by promptly greeting us, seating us, taking orders as well as keeping our glasses full. With Restaurant Week you get to experience the supposed menu gems. We tried: Round 1: cucumber gazpacho & kale salad; Round#2: fried chicken thigh and risotto, finishing off with the lemon curd and brownie. Each plate was well dressed but their individual taste was not rounded out, one or more missing factors failed to take each plate beyond simply satisfactory. While we enjoyed our visit and the food was good, it wasn't a memorable meal. While I would visit again, in the competitive Denver dining market it's hard to say that it'll be soon. Simply put, our meal failed to shine this Restaurant Week.
- Slow serviceFoodieDined on 8/21/2014There were five tables occupied during lunch service. The service in both the front and back of house was extremely slow. Lunch should not take over an hour on a work day and the restaurant should realize this. Also, the burrata salad was very small for the price. If protein had not been added to the order, it would have been a insufficient meal. The restaurant has only been open for lunch a short time but they need to improve their service.
- A great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014My wife and I were looking for a restaurant near the Pepsi center before a concert. The Squeaky Bean was great find, great food, atmosphere and service. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe just had the best fish everBrendonDined on 8/16/2014I'm not a fish eater. But I've dined at a few awesome fish joints in my life and several other not to write home about. I usually avoid it because I'm likely to be disappointed. Not last week at The Squeaky Bean. My wife went straight for the lamb ragu, we always fight over who is going to get the lamb...she usually wins. Our awesome server eventually made up my mind on what I ordered...and for that he received his tip++. Phenomenal, squid ink soaked salmon with caviar and a side of Brussels sprouts mixed with tangy peanuts. F'n A+ delicious!Special Features:
- Terrible serviceOTKateDined on 8/14/2014The food was good, but the service- host, bartender, and server- was terrible. With so many new restaurants to try and old stand-bys with great food and service, we definitely won't be back.Special Features:
- nice surpriseSmrlawdogVIPDined on 8/13/2014Unique menu that doesn't disappoint. service is ok.Special Features:
- Bingo OR BrunchAmyDenverVIPDined on 8/10/2014Granted, we arrived toward the end of the famous Sunday bingo brunch, but they were out of two dishes on the menu, including the only sweet item. We ordered an app because we were hungry, and thank goodness because our main dishes took at least 45 minutes to arrive even though the restaurant was emptying out as we sat there playing bingo. Once each dish arrived they were good, and the app (pimento cheese with bacon jam) was fun and different. I'd go back again if I was more interested in the drinking / bingo than brunch, or at another time, but not a great time to go for the food.Special Features:
- UniqueBradDined on 8/8/2014Unusual, creative menu - not to level of experimental, but several things I had to ask about because I'd never heard of them. And the fried chicken (which always sounds pedestrian) must, MUST, be ordered by at least one person at your table.Special Features:
- Great Date nightKivaTDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I had a very wonderful experience at Squeaky Bean. We had an amazing waiter who made the perfect recommendations for our meal. We enjoyed 4 delicious courses. The pace was slow, but just what we needed to savor our food. My husband almost licked the plate after our Beef Cheek appetizer. Highly recommend for a great dinner spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place!LacajunDined on 8/8/2014The food was very well prepared and exceeded my expectations. Our waiter was friendly and helpful in giving suggestions or answering any of our questions. It will definitely be on my list of a place to return for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazeballsFoodieDined on 8/8/2014Oh my lanta ... This is legit an amazing restaurant. I never write reviews, but I made sure I did for this place. The food is incredible. Fried chicken. Salad. Meat and cheese appetizer. Surf and turf. It's all like 5 star food. And the service is 100. My waiter seriously was the best. I love this place. Definitely coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slooooooow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/6/2014The food was wonderful but the service was terrible. We were seated immediately for our reservation but it took a server nearly 15 minutes to arrive at the table and provide water. Again, is took another 15 minutes before someone took our drink order. We were attending a concert downtown that evening so we didn't have a lot of extra time. The time in between courses (appetizers to dinner) was FOREVER. We had to ask for our check in the middle of dinner to insure we could get out of there without spending additional time. I would not race back to the Squeaky Bean for dinner anytime soon. Even though the food was amazing the service we received made for a not so enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Squeaky BeanPetuniaDined on 8/1/2014Great spot for a lunch meeting, food was good and the restaurant had a nice vibe. Service was moderate, beverages were slowly refilled and the waitress seemed like she may have had better days. We started with the Bean Board and Brussels Sprouts, both excellent and will have again. One person had Spaghetti Eastern, they weren't a fan, the Capresse and Honeymoon sandwiches were a hit, although, I like to eat my sandwich with a knife and fork, I know I know, not possible with the rustic bread. Lunch ran about $90 for 3, including tip and without adult beverages. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Longest Brunch EverllrDENVIPDined on 7/13/2014Management needs to staff the restaurant. There was one bartender and two servers, no bussers. Our brunch became a 2 hour brunch because everyone was so weeded. We spent most of the brunch waiting - for drinks, for food, for water.... Food was good, but don't order the pork belly hash if you expect a lot of hatch chiles. Not much in it. The lamb we were told would be lamb belly but it was shoulder. Still good but not well informed. As I said our server was trying his best so I fault the scheduling not him.
- Loved SBSarahSDined on 7/12/2014We had a great date night at the SB. Loved sitting outside. Our server was excellent. Food very tasty. Check it out!Special Features:
- The squeaky bean never failsbensonandpiperDined on 7/11/2014Such different ingredients that are always pulled together nicely. The food and the staff are just fantastic. We love going to the squeaky bean!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not dissapointBladthedog10Dined on 7/10/2014Read the reviews and chose this restaurant because we love the farm to table concept. Some places that claim farm to table are either too groovy or too expensive. This place is neither. very tasty food and good service. We will definitely be back when in Denver.Special Features:
- The Bean is BACK.LoDoGuyVIPDined on 7/9/2014What can I say? The Bean is bringing it with their own quirky, perfectly executed style this year. A fantastic, approachable menu with crazy delicious flavor combos and ingredients treated PERFECTLY. Service has been A+ every time I've dropped in, whether for a business lunch or a late night snack. Taking industry staples like fried chicken, burgers, and brussels sprouts and making them their own has served them very well - the consistency is top notch, and the quirky, fun atmosphere isn't easily replicated in LoDo. Haven't looked at the wine list yet, but cocktails are A+ with top shelf ingredients and attention to detail. A very different experience than 2013, but definitely worth checking out.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food!andyDined on 7/5/2014For our anniversary, we made a reservation at the Squeaky Bean because we'd read the amazing reviews. the food was really unusual and just outstanding. We split a simple wedge salad with this great dressing and bacon jam, if you can believe it. For an entrée, my wife had the fried chicken with sugar snap peas, buttermilk, blackberry, charred leeks (coated in a potato flour so it was GLUTEN FREE). I had the salmon served with black rice, spring onion, almond, rhubarb, beets, herbs. I'm not a big sautéed veggies guy but this was terrifically fresh, unique and light and tasted great; also the salmon was grilled just perfectly. It feels like the Bean works very hard to amp up the taste of traditional dishes in healthy, natural ways.Special Features:
- Superb food and cocktailsmarnio67Dined on 7/5/2014Fortuitously, we arrived early for our admittedly early reservation, which gave us the undivided attention of our waiter to talk with us about the food and the cocktails and their sometimes esoteric ingredients. We savored every bite and every sip! Try the beans with veal bacon and its cheesy sauce and the melt-in-your-mouth beef cheeks. Their menu lends itself to trying several small plates/appetizers, which we like to have instead of a large entree because that enables you to experience different tastes and different preparations. Definitely works here! We were traveling thru, so sadly we can't come back soon, or we'd be there every week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchAnne123VIPDined on 7/2/2014Nice decor, great service and good food. Couldn't ask for anything else! Had The mussels, small portion but delicious!I would recommend this to a friend.
- ksonxDined on 6/28/2014The Squeaky Bean was the perfect fit for a date night out! The food was wonderful, the service was amazing, and the space was busy but not crowded.Special Features:
- Not the best in DenverOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/26/2014This restaurant is just okay. When it was in the Highlands, I remember it being much more special. In its new location (which is a great spot, no doubt), it seems to have lost a lot. The mussels we ordered were okay, nothing unusual, and my salmon was cooked perfectly - but on a bed of what appeared to be the cheapest of vegetables possible (with some random purees thrown in to look fancy). Dessert was a complete miss. I had the lemon "birthday" cake -- absolutely awful. The fruit cobbler was okay, and the chocolate dish was just okay as well. For well over a $100 per couple (which included one $40 bottle of wine split amongst 4) I didn't think anything about the experience was outstanding.
- Bingo Bruch - Do It!CDubDined on 6/22/2014Some of our friends were skeptical about the invitation for The Squeaky Bean's Bingo Brunch - but we all had a wonderful time!!! Granted... the bingo board lights kept flickering off/on, but the MC was hilarious and just incorporated it into the whole experience. Just note that conversations are a little tough since everyone is listening for the next number & you're busy checking your board while trying to eat at the same time, so my suggestion would be to maybe get there a little early to have brunch & stick around for bingo after. Language is adult so I'd avoid bringing the little ones. Great food, great cocktails, & great fun for Sunday Funday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new placeJankossVIPDined on 6/21/2014We visited for the first time and were seated promptly. Our waiter came over to get our drink order and then gave us all the time we needed to study the menu. The only disappointment was that there were not more choices. My husband had the fried chicken after we shared a carbonara appetizer. I had the quail. My daughter had Brussels sprouts for her first course followed by the carbonara for her main. My son in law had the saddle of lamb after a house salad, which was huge.Special Features:
- Funky place to celebrate..anything!ZebberdeeDined on 6/20/2014I honestly don't know where to begin! The decor of the Squeaky Bean is so cool and the service was incredibly friendly. Our server spent as long as we needed answering our questions about the food and drink even though the place was jam packed on a Friday night. And now for the food! Farm to table (and they own their own farm!) and, by far, the most creative meal we had on our entire time in Denver! We enjoyed the beef cheeks burrata salad, quail, squid ink spaghetti with shrimp and chili breadcrumbs, fried half chicken and the saddle of lamb. And the portions were larger than they first appeared! Even the menu descriptions did not give the food justice. It was all outstanding! And they brought me the lemon cake as it was my birthday!Special Features:
- Never dissapoint youTastyanddeliciousDined on 6/20/2014This was our third visit and the menu was unique and what we ordered was quite tasty. There were 4 of us so we started with the cheese board. A great choice and the beginning of a delightful meal while dining outside on a beautiful Colorado night. A bit pricey but the food is worth it since it is always so fresh, unique combinations, delightful to your taste buds and accompanied by efficient and fun servers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchJennaBVIPDined on 6/15/2014We ate here for their Sunday Bingo brunch. It's a really fun concept and something that makes them stand out. The food was really good, though they were out of about 4 things we tried to order. It was a really nice experience minus the service. It took our waitress about 10 minutes just to come over and introduce herself. She wasn't very personable then, and took another 15 minutes just to bring us our drinks. It was just a bit frustrating not to feel like you're being checked in on, especially when you're waiting to eat your meal and haven't been brought a spoon to eat it with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wentodineVIPDined on 6/15/2014We've been here twice... Dinner and brunch. Both were fantastic. The food has some unique twists and mouth watering delicious. Our service both times were excellent. You have to try Brunch here ... especially with the BINGO. A really fun Sunday afternoon. We'll be back.Special Features:
- PleasantDfishDined on 6/10/2014Small menu changes often but food is good; best salmon I have had in a long time service was excellent even though we were early diners bread was very good and they make their own butter with honey could have dined on that aloneSpecial Features:
- The SuperSqueaky BeanKimberlyDined on 6/7/2014We visited The Squeaky Bean to celebrate a very special college graduation and took friends to entertain. From our first cocktail order to appetizers, entrees and desserts, every single moment was spectacular. Brody (oh, I hope that's right because he really was unforgettable, but I'm not always great with names) was one of the finest food professionals I've come across. Drinks were memorable and entertaining, but not so complicated, as many adult beverages have become. Don't miss the Benton's ham appetizer, but each one we had was wonderful. Six of us had 5 different entrees, and we each raved over ours, and even shared a few bites. Dessert was the perfect touch-my personal fav was their spin on Pot du Creme in chocolate. Just GO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food and MenuDenverDined on 6/7/2014Squeaky Bean is always changing their menu, which is terrific. The foot is always outstanding and the chef will take the time to talk to you about his meals and what he is doing next. It is a great place to go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice change of paceKokoDined on 6/3/2014Went here for dinner on a Tuesday evening and had a nice dinner and great service. The menu is somewhat limited but both of our entrees were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every. Damn. Time.RedsayerDined on 5/30/2014The squeaky bean is not always in our price range...but when it is, we have an amazing time! From exceptional drinks to inventive and delectable food--they just don't stop. The servers are hilarious, insightful, and just about perfect. If you're splurging anywhere else in Denver, you need to come here. Just once. Then you'll be back again and again!Special Features:
- Love Squeaky BeantigertigerVIPDined on 5/28/2014Always something different and imaginative going on at the Bean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HoodieFoodieVIPDined on 5/22/2014We visited Squeaky Bean for the first time last week. The food was delightful - brussel sprouts with a Thai flair, an unusual eastern style spaghetti with squid ink noodles, and beef two ways. The beef was tender, flavorful, and juicy. The spaghetti was a trip, and well-worth a try. The red berry galette, served steaming hot in a skillet, topped off the culinary experience very well. While the food was delicious, we found our server to be a little over the top with overtly and promoting various menu items. I don't mind suggestions or explanations, but I don't appreciate a sales job. I hope that this behavior was unique to our server and not an overarching philosophy at this restaurant.
- Uniquely right!Denver400Dined on 5/17/2014Each item that we ordered at the Squeaky Bean was a unique preparation of wonderful fresh things treated to a maximizing flavor development process. The ubiquitous brussels sprout in the very capable hands of Squeaky Bean was a combination of crunchy but slightly charred, briny, pistachio, peanut and the ultimate interesting but crown, cornflakes. Flavor wise, it was up hill from there. Yum!
- Great, great, great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2014I've eaten at the Bean several times now. Absolutely wonderful! Always creative. I will be honest and say that I was worried when Max left. But Theo has left nothing to be desired! I will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.