The Squeaky Bean
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Squeaky Bean
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thesqueakybean.com/
- Phone: (303) 623-2665
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Cocktail Hour: 4:00pm - 6:00pm Daily
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Bingo Brunch: 1:00pm - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Max Mackissock
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Squeaky Bean
Thank you for your interest in The Squeaky Bean! We strive to create a unique and memorable dining experience by offering exceptional cuisine, wine, and cocktails in a cozy, communal atmosphere. Open for dinner 5 nights and Sunday Brunch, our Progressive-Seasonal fare and classicaly-inspired bar program combine to conjure a sense of interest and intrigue. Cocktail hour 4 - 6 pm. Explore your Inner Bean!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Squeaky Bean reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)special occasion (42)hot spot (39)good for groups (36)neighborhood gem (31)great for brunch (23)vibrant bar scene (21)great for lunch (17)romantic (15)notable wine list (12)great for outdoor dining (8)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Uh Oh! Might be heading the wrong way.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/19/2014My wife and I have eaten at squeaky bean numerous times now and have enjoyed the food almost every time. It has been one of the places that we point to of the Denver food scene really improving. Unfortunately the last meal that we had was not good at all. There was four of us and every dish was not well done. The sauces did not compliment the proteins, the meat was over done, and overall the flavors seemed to compete on the dish. In an effort to not be rude to our dinner partners, I never brought up the quality of the food during the meal (maybe a mistake) but not a single person at the table finished their plate. The waiter was perfectly nice but "upsold" us on the brussels sprouts and then never brought them to the table. I will give squeaky bean another shot but if we have another meal like that then we will remove this from our standard rotation.
- Not impressedMarkoVIPDined on 11/18/2014Hoted a business dinner for (~8). Good atmosphere. Apps and sides (think Bean Board, Brussel Sprouts) very good, but that's about the only really nice thing I can say. Service glitches included a potato rolling off onto the uncovered table as they set one gentlemen's plate down. The server picked it up with his bare hand and put it right back on the guy's plate in the middle of the other potatoes. Yikes! The whole table noticed and things went downhill from there. Ribeye Wellington was a joke. I get creative interpretation, but they should not invoke the name of such a classic style when they are going to butcher it so badly. Basically, they took a hunk of steak, wrapped it in a wonton wrapper and fried it crispy. Mushrooms on the side were bizarre flavor profile for the dish. Asian style like Enoki (weird). Normally with Wellington the beef is in a butter pastry shell lined with a mushroom paste. It can be such a special dish, but No...everyone that ordered it at my table was disappointed Didn't help that my "Wellington" was served at wrong temperature and instead of correcting it, the server insisted it was correct. I ordered med-rare and the guynext to me ordered medium. It was obvious to an untrained eye that they had switched plates b/c mine was fully grey and his was still pink. Just apologize and switch the plates immediately!. By the time the chef came over my colleague had already given up and eaten some of his. Too late for an easy fix. Similarly, desserts were just meh. Not worth the calories. I dont think a single person at the table finished their main or their dessert. Head's up Chef, when the whole table's plates come back half-eaten, that's free feedback
- We went here for the bingo brunch and it was GREATVic14Dined on 11/16/2014We went here for bingo brunch and it was SO much fun!!! Great atmosphere, everyone was there to have fun. I got the breakfast hash and it was delicious. My boyfriend got the chicken and waffles, it was good but it was a little small. I wish they had bottomless mimosas but that was my only concern!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome brunchSkibummumDined on 11/16/2014My husband and I had a lovely brunch here. The food was delicious and I loved that the portions weren’t small but they weren’t HUGE which really turns me off with breakfast and lunch as I don’t eat so I can go back to bed. The atmosphere was great and we were also able to watch some Broncos football without feeling like we were in a grimy sports bar. Thumbs up...will definitely go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!SusanDined on 11/11/2014We had dinner at a surprisingly quiet Squeaky Bean and were delighted with the service and the food. Other than the fact that it was a pain to park (there was a place for a valet with no valet in sight) it was a perfect evening. We'll definitely be going back soon.Special Features:
- Bingo BrunchGDenverDined on 11/9/2014We went to Bingo Brunch. Had a great time. It was lively and fun.Special Features:
- Not badOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014There was a long wait for our food. The food was really good but the wait was too long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great meal before theaterTom61Dined on 11/8/2014We enjoyed our first visit to the Squeaky Bean before seeing Kinky Boots at the DCPA. We got in and out in plenty of time. The food and service were excellent. We'll definitely hit it again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great, service okOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014This was our first time at this restaurant. The food was amazing!!! The service was ok. Our food arrived before our wine and we had to remind our server we ordered wine. Additionally, our server brought the dessert he recommened not the one we actually ordered. That said, he was friendly, we enjoyed the food tremendously, and we overall had a good dining experience.Special Features:
- Terrific lunchElyseUUVIPDined on 11/7/2014Had a great lunch with my husband and daughter. She is vegetarian and they had great options. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Great space, okay foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014Great location in LoDo, and the restaurant looks/feels very cool. There's an excellent vibe when you walk in, and the server was very knowledgeable and helpful. The menu was broad and interesting, but my colleague and I both thought our food was just okay. Wouldn't have a problem going back if someone else was set on it - though I'd order differently - but I'm not likely to try it again for dinner on my own.
- Excellent choicebill9687Dined on 10/31/2014First time to the Squeaky Bean since it moved downtown. The food was superior and our server, Brodie, was knowledgeable, friendly and very attentive without hovering. The lamb osso boco had excellent flavor and not a strong lamb flavor. The brussel sprouts were an excellent choice for a side dish. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Squeaky SpectacularDidiKVIPDined on 10/28/2014Dined at Squeaky Bean for first time this week. Cocktail and wine menu is good. Dinner experience was spectacular. Server Michael was patient and very accommodating to my companion's special dietary requests. The new seafood trio was delicious and lovely to behold- individually hand cut root vegetables shaped like Fall leaves. Intensive preparation and tasty too. Ended up talking to one of the chefs, Theo, afterwards and complimented him on the excellent flavors and presentation. The squash soup and beet salad were also marvelous. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great LoDo dining spotcorduroyDined on 10/23/2014I had happy hour drinks and appetizers here one evening for business. I liked it so much, I planned my next dinner meeting here. Highly recommended. The food was amazing.Special Features:
- Foodie1VIPDined on 10/23/2014Everything was good from start to finish and portions are well sized. We had the brussel sprouts, tuna sandwich, and caprese sandwich, followed by the peanut butter cream with Nutella sauce for dessert. One negative is they serve the tuna openface and the bread was extremely difficult to cut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot pre-Pepsi CenterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Went here before a concert. So easy to get to using the lightrail and 16th street free mall ride. Then walked to the Pepsi Center. Such a great list of specialty cocktails and beer. Would loved to have sat there for hours trying all of the great libations! Food was also fantastic. Probably couldn't have gone wrong with a single item on the menu. Excited they shift the menu and looking forward to the next set of options.Special Features:
- Best meal in Denver so fartomkDined on 10/21/2014Been living here in Denver for almost a year - eat out frequently. This was the best meal to date. A bit pricier than others but definitely worth it for a great meal. The service was beyond excellent - our server was friendly and knowledgeable. All in all a 10 out of 10Special Features:
- Good bar and bar staffDRB7Dined on 10/21/2014Arrived early for dinner with friends. Sat at bar had happy hour bar snacks and drinks accompanied with good conversation with bar manager. Food good but description somewhat confusing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over RateddtddinerDined on 10/18/2014The ambiance is well appointed and creates a great atmosphere. The service was below par, i felt each time i asked a question I was an inconvenience. The food was overpriced and not impressive. The Bean Board at $24 wasn't flavorful and slim. The brussel sprouts were undercooked, the soup had a fish taste, the chicken was nothing more than siricha chicken, the moon fish tasted like liver and was well over done. The only dish that was somewhat decent was the snapper. I would not return.Special Features:
- Okay, but not a highlight.MikeDined on 10/5/2014I visited The Squeaky Bean during a Sunday afternoon while they were running a bingo promotion of some sort. OK, whatever, not what I expected of a GH Top 50 place. The food was very good, fresh, and tasty, though the Eggs Benedict were oversauced. The service was among the poorest of all restaurants on my trip. It took twelve minutes for a server to see me and ask for a drink order once I was seated, and it wasn't busy for the number of servers on duty. This inattention and slowness persisted throughout the meal, although she did return to check shortly after the meal was set down. The chef's tables are misplaced, too, as no working surfaces are visible. Just an unfortunate layout, and next time I'll simply stick with a booth.Special Features:
- Should be better for the moneyMe15Dined on 10/2/2014The food was good but certainly did not blow us away. For the prices charges, I would have thought that the food would be incredible, or the atmosphere very interesting. Neither was the case. Good food, don't get me wrong, but I would not visit this place again - there are better options if you are wanting to spend this much
- great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Everything- food, drinks, service - was exceptional! Hope to make it back to The Squeaky Bean when I am in the Denver area.Special Features:
- Incredibly underwhelmedVeeJayDined on 10/1/2014I got the grouper dish which boasted king crab and seasonal vegetables. The grouper was maybe 2-3 ounces and there was one crab leg cut in half, served open faced. I have made better crab legs at home that I bought from King Soopers. The majority of this dish was a bunch of sesame seed coated and deep friend "things". I have no idea what they were. I asked the waiter at one point and he said they were squash. OK. I will take your word for it because all I could taste was oil. Never saw the waiter again and the hostess cleared our plates. I told her I wasn't impressed and why, to which she said she was "sorry to hear that". She didn't tell our waiter. Didn't do anything about it. Generally just a disappointing, expensive experience.
- Wonderful Meal!SchultzVIPDined on 9/27/2014We arrived early so the restaurant was quiet. Our server, Eddie, was great. Informed, helpful, not pushy. The food was terrific. I had the Brazino, a whole sea bass, that was delicious and wonderfully moist. My wife had the fried chicken which she loved. All n all, we would be happy to go back.Special Features:
- RobinslineVIPDined on 9/25/2014I had a lovely evening here. Two appetizers made a very generous meal for a single diner. The Benton ham and melon dish was a great twist on the classic, and the crispy Brussels sprouts were garlicky and addictive. The server, Liz, was warm and welcoming, and spot on on her descriptions and recommendations. The combination of a fine dining menu with an upscale pub atmosphere make this a great choice for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger special at lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014Order it. It's truly one of the best burgers I've had in a while.Special Features:
- AttentiveCathleeng135Dined on 9/23/2014Considerate and knowledgable staff that brought unique and delicious fresh food to our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BULLSEYE SPIN ON OLD FAVESOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014THE SQUEAKY BEAN NAILED THEIR BRUNCH MENU--THE NEIGHBORHOOD AND ATMOSPHERE WAS GREAT AND THE QUALITY AS WELL AS PRESENTATION WAS MUCH BETTER THAN IT NEEDED TO BE GIVEN THAT IT'S SO CASUAL. THE SHRIMP & GRITS ARE PERFECTION, PORK BELLY HASH SEEMED SOMEHOW SUPER SAVORY AND HEALTHY (?!?), AND THE SERVICE WAS ON THE BALL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and ServicefoodieDined on 9/17/2014The food was wonderful, the service was great. Liz was our server. People very friendly. Drinks were yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Squeaky WHAT????shellybeanDined on 9/13/2014Not one "bean" on the menu...was looking for a place that had more than one vegetarian dish on it besides the salads (which were delicious, by the way). My "veggie" friend was very gracious and is used to this, so everything turned out fine. Great food, though, and very attentive wait staff. Will visit again and bring some other meat eaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was disapointingJLouiseVIPDined on 9/11/2014We at heard good things about this restaurant, but found the food to be disappointing. Several of our dishes were over cooked, therefor was dry. Also found it to be a bit over priced for what you received.Special Features:
- wonderfulFoodieVIPDined on 9/9/2014In town on business and this restaurant was recommended by the concierge at my hotel. What a great find. Food was fresh and innovative. Love farm to table. I wanted to try everything on the menu. Bartender was exceptionally nice as I was dining alone. The only negative is parking, as it is for all restaurants in that area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014The brunch menu was great and the food for all 5 of our party was outstanding. The service was wonderful - made us feel specialSpecial Features:
- Too BadOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/5/2014We have been to The Squeaky Bean several times, although it had been a while. Obviously the chef or previous team has departed. It did not have the uniqueness, quality, options nor taste the previous team did. Really too bad. I along with a guest I brought in a party of six, had the lamb. It was all bone and gristle. I will not go back.
- Chef takes risks, that's why we gokudzutigerVIPDined on 9/5/2014Great menus, great local ingredients, it's why restaurants exist that don't serve protein pills.Special Features:
- Farm Fresh foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014All four of the main dishes we enjoyed were all very unique and prepared with farm fresh ingredients from the Squeaky Beans' own farms. The eggplant and Octopus appetizers were delicious. Desserts especially the lemon curd and peach type cobbler were enjoyed by all.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeBrunoDined on 8/29/2014Dined during Denver Restaurant week - food and service was great. Started with a mixed drink at the bar - creative drinks !Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2014We'd heard great things about this restaurant. Pretty disappointing. Great space was ruined by large screen tvs with ever-present sports. Mediocre food. Good service but we won't be back.
- It was "ok"jraeraeDined on 8/28/2014I was soooo looking forward to this place after some great reviews. However, I did go on restaurant week and that can be, at some places, a more limited menu. It was just ok. The Kale salad starter was the best part...the Salmon with peppers was a strange combo and the brownie a la mode was like an Little Debbie brownie with some basic ice cream. Nothing special at all. I would really doubt going back there for a full meal and it was one of the places in Denver I was very much looking forward to trying!Special Features:
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014First time eating here. Super cute place. Our server was awesome-made the difference for the evening. He helped us pick a bottle of wine from their neat, eclectic choices. Then he made sure we enjoyed our entrees-best fried chicken ever! We'll be back for more chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.