76 Orchard Street
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
CaribbeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spurtreelounge.com/
- Phone: 2124779977
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday & Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Fusion / Eclectic, Asian
- Executive Chef: Sean John
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available for weddings, cocktail parties and other social events.
- Entertainment: Spur Tree features nightly DJ's spinning an eclectic mix of Reggae and International music.
A word from Spur Tree
Spur Tree is a chic Lower East Side haven that fuses top-shelf Jamaican-Asian cuisine nestled into a cozy restaurant with a signature ambiance. Feast on a unique brand of fusion fare that blends home-style West Indian spices with cutting edge Asian-influenced recipes. Mouthwatering Jerk Lamb Chops and Coconut Curry King Fish are among some of the trademark dishes in the Spur Tree repertoire. Other offerings, including Spiced Baby Bok Choy, Panko Crusted Sweet Plantains and ‘Red Stripe’ Beer Battered Shrimp, boast a next level approach to culinary alchemy. Cocktails of choice are the delicious Watermelon Mojito as well as the Dark & Stormy which is made from Spur Tree"s very own homemade Ginger Beer. You will also find a wide selection of international wines and beers as well as exotic fresh juices as a non-alcoholic option. The Spur Tree desserts are made from scratch, including the prized Banana Bread Pudding which is accompanied by a delicious Vanilla Ice Cream.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spur Tree reviews from OpenTable diners
- CLOSED without NOTICE!!!!!NeefDined on 3/22/2014I booked a group dinner for a friends 30th Birthday throughout opentable a week before the event night. I received confirmation about my reservation immediately after placing them. However , it was literally the day before the dinner where something told me to check the Spur Tree website. It was then that I was notified by they were closed down. I never received a friendly, text or even call from them. Had I not decide to check they're website that day, my guests and I would have been screwed. This was VERY VERY VERY bad business on their part!!!!!Special Features:
- ClosedRegularDined on 3/4/2014It was closed. I asked a few neighboring establishments and I was told there was a dispute with the landlord. - really liked the place. I hope Sean John reopens and sorts the dispute with the LL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, long waitOthelloDined on 3/1/2014Don't go when u r starving cause the wait with reservation is like an 1hr. Very small space, but the music and bar scene is awesome... Food is top notch...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VDay 2014lovefoodDined on 2/14/2014This place in absolutely wonderful. The only problem is the space. if there is a way to a lot for more space, but it would be perfect. The music, food, and ambiance are always good. I have been probably 3 or more times and although I am usually cramped I still come back. I believe others do too because its always full when I go. I really wish there was a way to open this spot up as that would take it to the next levelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting Food. Too loudAlexDined on 2/14/2014cute and would be very romantic, but the music was just way way too loud. It was at DJ levels and wasn't really in line with the ambience of the restaurant. It was very hard to have a conversation sitting close to each other. Some of the food really hit the mark on the interesting asian Jamaican fusion. The coconut king curry was delicious, and the table next to us had the roti curry which also looked great. The Jamaican jerk chicken steamed buns were ok--perhaps the pork would have been better. In summary, I give them big marks for creativity and trying to do something unique with the Asian Jamaican fusion. Some dishes pull it off well and have a lot of potential, but the ambience, noise, and weak drinks made the evening harder to enjoy.
- Loud, not great foodLuLuDined on 2/8/2014I knew it was going to be loud from the reviews I read, but I didn't know it would prevent all conversation. The veggie burger was so small it should be called a slider, but it was tasty. I ordered sweet potato fries and had to ask for them when the food was delivered in stages. I then received regular potato fries. The fish was filled with bones. No one at our table of five said anything spontaneously positive about the food or the experience. My side salad was very good. Drink and beer were good. Server did offer that the chef could lower the heat intensity of the side of bok choy which was appreciated.
- Good food, loud music, small tableMikeChastiDined on 2/1/2014Food was very good, especially the entrees. Sides were good but nothing special. The whole menu sounded delicious and I'm looking forward to returning to try some other dishes. Enjoyed the energetic music although it was loud and did make conversation more difficult. My only real complaints were the size and shape of the table. It was small and circular and barely had room for our meal. The restaurant itself did not feel cramped and I don't see why the tables couldn't be a touch bigger. Even square tables of the same width would be a nice improvement.Special Features:
- 2 smallOthelloDined on 1/31/2014If don't mind sitting on top of each other, then u will enjoy the food musicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good vibes, great food, small spaceslimfoodieDined on 1/31/2014Spur Tree came as a recommendation from a friend. I ordered the curry chicken roti. The roti was delicious! My friend ordered two sides of it. The restaurant is sexy but very small. My party of five was crunched next to a couple and I'm sure our loud tones dampened their date night. Speaking of loud tones, the music there is AMAZING, but at several points the music volume would turn up really loud like the speaker burst. With that aside, the music selection was great -- reggae, ska, a little hip hop. I hear they are relocating but I would definitely look out for their new spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in a trendy area!AkilDined on 1/31/2014I'm an American with Jamaican parents and I've always hoped for good quality Jamaican dishes in the city. By far I have found a wonderful niche restaurant in Spur tree. Jamaican-Japanese styles combined makes for a great eatery. Good job Spur Tree!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must go!!!Bday42Dined on 1/30/2014This is my first time a Spur Tree and I love the ambience. The people are nice the mixed drinks were delicious. I'm Jamaica and I absolute love the twist they put on the traditional dish while staying true to their roots. I will definitely be going back!!!Special Features:
- Date NightMariaMyDined on 1/11/2014Took a friend on a date for their birthday here & he's Jamaican. He enjoyed the authentic tasting Caribbean dishes (as did I) & the music was pretty on point (aside from the DJ's awkward mixes). Overall, great experience. Our waitress was awesome (tipped her well), and the food was delicious! Even stayed longer for dessert :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/28/2013I enjoyed my visit here. The food was good and the servers were extremely friendly and helpful with recommendations! I'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lower East Side hidden gemMrsPageDined on 12/8/2013I came here for dinner with my husband a few nights ago. I've never heard of the place so I was a bit skeptical. However, after having the delicious oxtails with rice and peas and a ginger watermelon mojito, I fell in love with the food and ambiance. The food is definitely authentic Jamaican (I've been to Jamaica, so I know what the food should taste like) and not a water down version like some NYC restaurants that make the same type of dishes. I will definitely be back. This time to try their seafood. Definitely worth another visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/5/2013I took my staff of for their Christmas dinner. 10 guest was Amazed by the good food and the pleasant service I would tell everyone I know to visit spur treeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Spur Tree ExperienceGeneralpage1Dined on 11/30/2013It was one of a kind, Great food, staff, music & environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/22/2013If you have time to just relax and wait for your food, this place is unreal. Go.Special Features:
- Spur Tree's food is delicious!TheFoodDivaDined on 11/16/2013I heard about Spur Tree and wanted to try it for some time now so I went with some friends on a Saturday night. The food was delicious. When it arrived we thought it would not fill us but as soon as you get to the middle of your meal your realize that you might not be able to fit in that dessert that you thought you were going to try. We all had a great time and will be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty damn awesome!!jenever110Dined on 11/16/2013In a nut shell.... I really liked it and I would def go back .. Not the place to go on a weekend if you are in a rush ..Special Features:
- My only complaint would beOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013My only complaint would be it took way too long for our food to arrive. This was Saturday night. Music was very loud, food was great, drinks were good, but the wait to receive our food was just too long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatTeatscleanDined on 11/9/2013Went to SpurTree Lounge for a birthday celebration. Party of 6. Arrived on time and waited approximately 30 minutes. Restaurant is small. Reservations were spaced approximately 2 hours apart (we could see the reservations screen) so we literally stood and watched our predecessors as they laughed, drank, etc. Ultimately, they were given their bill without prompting. Food was good, not delectable but good. Drinks were tasty. Overall, a good night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food But 40 Minute Wait!FrankieDined on 11/1/2013This isn't my first time going to Spur Tree, but it will be my last. My best friend and I decided to go to Spur Tree to celebrate our birthdays. I had an 8:30pm res that i changed to 9:30pm. I was happy they were able to accommodate. We got there at 9:25PM and SAT DOWN at 10:10PM! Standing in heels for 40 minutes waiting on a table AFTER YOU'VE MADE A Reservation? Once we were seated, the host apologized for the delay, but at that point I was completely over it. The food is absolutely AMAZING. I had the stew chicken and was in awe and my firend had oxtail! I wanted to see if my grandmother was in the back cooking! I asked that they put a candle in our dessert and that didn't happen. $120 meal for terrible service.Special Features:
- Great Food! Terrible service!!LoveditDined on 10/18/2013The food was delicious the service was terrible. We made a reservation got there on time & still had to wait for 20mins. The food took forever the waiter & waitress hardly came back to check on us they messed up our drink. It seem like they were overwhelmed and unprofessional. Wouldn't recommend it. So disappointed because I am Jamaican I expected better !
- Good FunGreatScottDined on 10/4/2013We were visiting from overseas and staying in the Lower East Side. First time we arrived, it was quite late but the staff were freindly and let 2 tired people have a table for a drink. We went back for dinner with 2 friends who were local. The food was fresh, tasty, and well put together - just a good amount of spicy. The tables aren't big, it's a small restaurant, and it has energy with a DJ. But good fun and good value for a quality semi casual meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timerPattycakesDined on 9/27/2013My friend and I arrived at 7.05p for our 7p reservation and was warmly greeted and promptly seated. Within 20mins of ordering we had our meal and drinks. Service we excellent with a very attentive staff.. I would recommended reservation especially on a weekend night , space is limited and was quite full by 8pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good timeGeorgeDined on 9/18/2013I've been hear several times and each time it gets better and better. Every person I bring here absolutely loves it. Keep doing what cha doing Spur Tree!Special Features:
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2013This is a great restaurant for truly authentic Jamaican food, I would highly suggest making a reservation because seating is limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The worstShazKhaVIPDined on 8/9/2013I ordered the lamb chops medium and they came to me well done after 45 mins of waiting. Then I ordered wings after I sent those back and they took 35 mins to come. The prices for the amount of food is ridiculous!
- Amazing FusionOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/20/2013I've never had Caribbean food but I went here with a Jamaican friend and I absolutely love it. The atmosphere was lively and the DJ was amazing. Had me dancing in my seat. Although, it was a long wait for the food, it was so worth it. The staff is so friendly. I am definitely going back.Special Features:
- God food and Friendly AtmosphereKylieDined on 7/20/2013The food was great. I came with a group of 13, which I let them know about a week in advance. They are friendly and inviting, but they take too long to bring out the food and are not trained in handling big groups. We had 3 servers and they did not communicate with each other and kept coming over asking the same questions, to which we replied, we already told one server our needs. But they are attentive to small groups, and smile a lot. It's a relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great music, butOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/15/2013Limited space for seating. Went to SpurTree for a friend's birthday. There were 11 of us, and we were seated in the corner of the restaurant. I would have thought that table was meant for a party of 8, rather than 11. For most of the meal, I was elbowing a friend in her face with my left arm. The table got really especially crowded since we had all sorts of appetizers and drinks. It was very difficult to maneuver the dishes on the table. However, the food was delicious! My date and I shared the ackee and codfish appetizer and for entree we had curry goat and oxtail. The food here is finger licking good. The music was spot on as well. So, despite the tight space, we are definitely coming back for a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rushed!ScattyDined on 6/14/2013I felt extremely rushed and they need to state on the website clearly the time limit for dining!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Caribbean Dining in NYC!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/3/2013We had an absolutely wonderful dinner at Spur Tree this weekend! Every dish was delicous and bursting with flavor -- updated versions of Jamaican classics including cocktail size meat patties, a creative preparation of ackee and saltfish and a diverse selection of curries and rotis. The cocktails were also unique and wonderful -- I had the ginger melon mojito, which was absolutely the best cocktail I've had in the past year! The wine list contained several great options at great prices; we loved the Malbec we chose. And finally, the restaurant has an incredibly cool vibe, created by the great music and the very attentive and helpful staff. We will definitely be returning soon!Special Features:
- Nice People / Awful ExperienceMrLucky996Dined on 5/10/201330 minutes late to sit, already on a 10:30pm reservation for 8 people. Waitress took our dinner order before out on the street so food could come out quickly. We finally sit at 11pm, takes 10 minutes for someone to bring water and ask for drinks. We're all music industry peeps and music is so loud in the place that we have to wear earplugs at the dinner table and can't talk to each other. Apps come out fast, but food comes out as its ready beginning around 11:40pm - so half the tables food is cold and in the end - they forget one of our guest's order and no one comes to check and see if there is anything wrong. Would never go back. Too bad because food was decent. They just need to learn how to be a restaurant and focus on service first.
- Great food, slow servicelegalalienVIPDined on 5/10/2013We went to the Spur Tree as a big group (10 people) on a Friday evening for a birthday dinner. The food was excellent but the fact that they only had one bar staff meant that we waited over 30 minutes for a round of cocktails once we arrived. Very good food, better for small groups than largeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spicy delightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013As a Jamaican, this place always does it for me. It's my third visit and by no means my last. Definetly recommend!Special Features:
- Always great to find a restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/23/2013Always great to find a restaurant with exceptional food and a great personality. Kudos to Sean and his team for the wonderful service. Great island vibe.Special Features:
- Jamaican Gem in Manhattan!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2013Great music. Escovitch fish was delicious. Brownie dessert also delicious. Ginger cocktail with sugar cane was excellent.
- Small restaurant that providesTMDixonDined on 3/29/2013Small restaurant that provides a friendly and romantic atmosphere. The food was a party for your taste buds. I really enjoyed the time there.Special Features:
- Awful service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2013The place is cute and the music is really good. I found the food was so so. What was really bad was the service. Our waitress never came back to see how were were doing and halfway through our meal someone came over and told us we had to move to accomodate a larger party--they didn't really give a choice in the matter. Then when we were finished with dinner they rushed us out of there and we still had drinks left. This place could have been good, but I will never go back.