Sprout - Chicago
1417 W. Fullerton
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Sprout - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sproutrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7733480706
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm, Sunday Brunch 10:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dale Levitski
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer special event menus for private parties to meet your needs. Simply give us a call and we will design a menu catered to your requests.
- Private Party Facilities: We have space to accommodate private parties with seating for up to 32 guests. The room can accommodate larger standing cocktail parties as well. Sprout is also available for full buyouts that can hold up to 65 seated guest or 100 standing guest for a cocktail reception. Please email or call for inquiries.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Pickering 7733480706
- Special Events: We are available for special buyouts. See private dining.
A word from Sprout - Chicago
The first Chicagoan to appear on the wildly popular reality show "Top Chef," Dale Levitski is known for his soulful yet sophisticated comfort foods, bold spicing, game and braised specialties, playful reinterpretations of forgotten classics, and striking plate presentations. He has a love for sauces, so expect deep and complex flavors accenting the plate. Big on taste sensations, Levitski is a student of flavor math, a method he uses to calculate his perfect balance of taste, texture and temperature in a dish. His ala carte and tasting menus spark diner's imaginations with descriptions deconstructed down to the flavor notes and key ingredients.Continued
Sprout's intimate setting offers upscale dining with a relax-your-shoulders vibe.
Sprout's intimate setting offers upscale dining with a relax-your-shoulders vibe.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sprout - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
- DisappointingChitownvegDined on 11/9/2013Have heard so many great things about this restaurant however it looks like we missed its prime. Service wasn't great. Menu was very limited for a vegetarian. Ambience is great. The architecture is wonderful. They accommodated bringing our bottle of wine with a modest corkage fee. Presentation of food was nice just seemed like super small Portions and over-priced (double of kale salad looked like a single plate and was $20.00). Not a bad restaurant but nothing to really rave aboutSpecial Features:
- wonderful dinnerAspecVIPDined on 11/2/2013Fabulous dinner. Only complaint is they need a fuller bar list I.e. they could not make a Manhattan and no blue cheese olives for a martini. That said, I would dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative with a side of okayHonestandHungryDined on 10/27/2013I was really excited for Sprout, but the flat service sort of flat lined my experience. Everything took forever and the though the food was delicious, the menu descriptions were uninspiring. Also, two signature dishes were not being served. Two dishes accounts for a large chunk of a brunch menu. I would try Sprout again, but I'm not hurrying back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amateur NightDisappointedDined on 10/26/2013We were extremely disappointed by our first -- and last -- visit to Sprout. After we sat down and ordered drinks with some "snacks," we studied the menu and realized that the dinner offerings were quite different from the online menu we had reviewed earlier in the day. While we can appreciate that menus change, there had been no notice on the website that the actual menu might be different, and the actual menu had removed all beef and chicken dishes, leaving only fish, game, and pasta (and not many choices in total). While mulling what to do, we had to wait about 15 minutes for our drinks, while our "snacks" of (originally) warm bread and cashews got cold. We asked for a check and had a lovely dinner elsewhere.
- Unsuspecting and fabulous!FoodieinChiDined on 10/24/2013It's an odd location, but the food and atmosphere are fabulous. The run was terrific, albeit a bit limited. The monkey bread with dipping butter is a signature and to die for. All of their brand in fact is so good I suspended by gluten free ways for the evening. The grilled octopus was also fantastic. It can be on the spendy side for some but less than many comparable restaurants. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty placeChicagoeatsDined on 10/18/2013Really had a nice time and the food was excellent. They gave us a complimentary glass of sparkling wine to celebrate a birthday. Service was very good. The food was amazing. Right up there with the big names of Chicago dining. Inventive flavor combinations. A nice wine list. For the price, this is the best value I've had in Chicago, hands down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative, delicious, cuisine.SirLePlatVIPDined on 10/12/2013Creative, delicious, cuisine. A pleasure to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were quite disappointed.DinerpersonDined on 10/11/2013We were quite disappointed. We expected much more from a 3 star restaurant than what we had. The veal was dry, the server had no wine knowledge, menu was disappointing.
- Nothing wrong, but...MikeDined on 10/4/2013We dined at Sprout a year or so ago and were really looking forward to returning on our recent trip to Chicago. We came away mildly disappointed. There was really nothing that I can really fault Sprout for, they just didn't live up to the bar they had previously set for themselves. The food was delicious and well presented. The service was efficient and friendly. It wasn't terribly overpriced or anything. Perhaps they just became complacent. There wasn't really any spark or creativity in the food. Maybe it was just because the place was fairly empty when we arrived so our first courses felt rushed. Again, there wasn't really anything wrong, just really nothing to differentiate Sprout from so many other restaurants that do the same thing.
- Nice food, too limited menuNeighborDined on 10/4/2013Nice food, too limited menu and much much too noisy. Cut the background music or change it - bounces off rock walls and is unpleasant. Solid food...lacks a little zip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were alone in the restaurantkayley39VIPDined on 9/29/2013We were alone in the restaurant for brunch--1230! Not a good sign. . .
- Disappointing Thursday NightJeffFVIPDined on 9/26/2013I had heard good things about Sprout a while ago, so my wife and I were eager to try it. We made a reservation for a Thursday night at 7:00 pm. When we got to the restaurant, a red flag immediately went up for me because there was only one other 2-top occupied and the rest of the restaurant was empty. We started with the curried cashews app which was pretty good. For the main, I ordered the braised spare rib which was average at best - I've had better from Costco and I can certainly made better myself. My wife ordered the roasted half chicken - it was cooked properly and well browned, but so over salted that it was barely edible. By the time we left, only two more 2-tops were seated. No doubt in my mind why. We will not be returning.
- GoneKiskaDined on 9/25/2013We dined at sprout 11-9-13,the menu was not what we had experienced before, asked our waitress and the chef dale had left some time ago and the 9th was the last night of service. Being out-of-towers we had no idea the restaurant was closing. We made reservations in August. Would have been nice to know the closing.
- Special brunch in a relaxed settingOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/15/2013We enjoyed brunch on Sprout's unique indoor patio. The menu is inventive yet approachable - delicious ricotta bread pudding accompanied by a perfectly seasoned butter lettuce salad. My husband ordered the pork belly and raved about it. Our guests both ordered the lamb hash and there was not a crumb of food left on any of our plates - and the servings were generous! Very nice brunch cocktails, too - not overdone or over-the-top creations...sparkling wine, a bit of apricot brandy...perfect! No need to add twelve ingredients...just a nice compliment to a lovely meal. We will be back for brunch at Sprout!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great experience!kollaDined on 9/14/2013We finally tried out Sprout this week, have been meaning to for several years. Food was excellent, we had the monkey bread, octopus salad, kale and goat cheese salad, lamb and tagliatelle with mushrooms. The highlight for me was the kale and goat cheese salad and for my husband was a tie between the lamb and the octopus salad. Pricing was not as high as we thought (unless you get the $49 steak) and we had great service and a romantic ambiance. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2013My wife and I came here for our 5th anniversary.We absolutely loved the food. We shared a pork belly slider, liver pate, and chilled corn soup to start off. I'm not normally a fan of pate (my wife is) but I thought the pate and orange marmalade complemented each other well. The highlight here was the corn soup. For the main course we had the fish and beef (I think it was roast and I'm certain it wasn't striped bass but the name escapes me). They were both excellent. The fish was cooked well and had a lemon something on the side that was fantastic. The beef and scallop were very flavorful and well cooked also. Loved the service, friendly and attentive. I'm not sure about the music. It gave us the feel we were in an elevator in the 1980s.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet but NiceSirEatsALotDined on 9/13/2013Great food and good experience. We went to the restaurant at 645 on a friday and we were the only people there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2013This was a fantastic dining experience -- food fantastic and service to match. One of the best dinners out in a long time. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great place for a quiet brunchCeeceeVIPDined on 9/8/2013The brunch was creative, but still feels like breakfast. White tablecloths and a quiet buzz were also helpful. Sprout is a "go-to" brunch place that is consistently good, just like the regular restaurant.
- Everything was phenomenalOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/6/2013Everything was phenomenal but the place was empty considering we were there at 8:00 on a Friday night. We had the monkey bread to start which was some of the best bread we have ever eaten. Then we both had the chilled corn soup and the short ribs. Food was fantastic and so was the service. I would highly recommend it. Too bad they weren't busier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience at SproutWineLoverVIPDined on 8/28/2013Great food choices and perfect execution. Service was attentive and the chef came by to say hello. Did not have time for the tasting menu, but next time will defintely give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at reasonable pricesSuperbVIPDined on 8/24/2013They food is great here. I have been here many times, and it is always consistent. Service is great as well. I am surprised the restaurant is not as busy during weekends. The location is probably not the greatest, the restaurant is well appointed/decorated and very romantic/cozy inside. We recently tried the re-opening of their brunch as well. I will recommend starting with dinner....brunch is new and limited options on the menu. All and all, great food, drinks and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- By 8 PM, they were alreadynancyDined on 8/24/2013By 8 PM, they were already completely out of sea bass. Only a few other items to chose from and the ribeye choice was priced at $49 and we were told it would take more than 40 minutes to cook). the chicken pate and mussels were very good. my monkey bread was undercooked. the chef provided a replacement, and the redo was tastee. two of the dinners were fine (lamb chops and pasta). The short rib meal was a real disappointment. A very small amount of short rib meat was provided. definitely not worth the price on that meal. The restaurant itself was beautiful, and we greatly enjoyed the open window seating. maybe we had too high of expectations because we had read that Sprout was the recipient of the OpenTable award for 2013.Special Features:
- Good, not GreatAlliLizDined on 8/24/2013As a fan of the show, "Top Chef," I chose Sprout because I was interested in tasting Dale Levitski's food. Unfortunately, the first thing I noticed was that the chef listed on the menu was not Dale Levitski. Oh well. Typical that another "cheftestant" leveraged his/her notoriety to get people into a restaurant that he/she didn't really cook in. I could have overlooked this if the food was excellent or the wine list was notable, but I found the experience to be ordinary. Nothing innovative or truly exciting on the menu. The monkey bread was delicious. The pickled vegetables were good, as expected. My fish was fine. A bit salty, but otherwise cooked nicely. I'd recommend it, but not at any sort of destination meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful and in the neighborhoodmickeyDined on 8/23/2013I've been by sprout a million times and love to find interesting restaurants in walking distance from my home. this restaurant could compare to any around the world. the staff was cordial and knowledgeable. The menu was interesting and taked even better than the descriptions. The room up front was gorgeous and like being in an outdoor garden. it was a warm summer night and the windows were open. The somelier was right on with his wine selection. I wait staff was friendly but not intrusive and best of all our plates weren't grabbed with our mouths still full. Our dinner was leisurely and relaxed and afforded us time to visit with our guests. It is at the top of my return list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, but the wholesdipoVIPDined on 8/20/2013Food was good, but the whole thing seems like it could be so much better...sort of like it needs a jolt of energy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Chicago's BestSirLePlatVIPDined on 8/15/2013Highly creative cuisine that is delicious. Emphasis is on fresh local ingredients. I hadn't eaten here for some time, and I found it to be better than ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; great service; overallpalladio43Dined on 7/27/2013Sprout was everything we anticipated when choosing it, with gracious, very knowledgeable and helpful staff that never rushed us at any time. The menu was varied, but not as seen on the web site (needs update if making drastic changes), but we were not disappointed by any part of the meal or the recommended wine. The Lamb. fluke, licorice salad, corn soup and chocolate dessert were all excellent, My only quibble is that, contrary to many restaurants, the Prix fixe (dubbed pre fix on menu) is more expensive than if one orders an appetizer, an entree and dessert, no matter what you choose). The added charge does provide small dishes between two of the courses, but it seems odd.Special Features:
- Just good foodChicagoBoundDined on 7/26/2013Very understated, unpretentious, just good food in a welcoming environment. Nice indoor "patio" area. Manager was very knowledgeable about wine and waitress didn't hover but was very accommodating and warm.Special Features:
- Great Dinner with the familyQualityDined on 7/26/2013Our family of four had a great evening at Sprout. Special request from Open Table was ready to go upon arrival. The menu was varied and had selections for each of us. The kids like to explore new foods and Sprout has creations they enjoyed. Enjoy having Sprout in the neighborhood. We will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2013Sprout was even better than I was hoping it would be, given Dale Livitski's reputation. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and courteous, and dining in the front room was a real treat. The food was just innovative enough to be tasty and appealing, without going too far down the molecular gastronomy road. It was the perfect combination of well prepared food, attractive plating, and several tasty and pleasant surprises along the way. The "lemon drops" that garnished the sea bass entrée were wonderful; could have eaten more of those! The charming challah bread spheres were light and delicious, and, of course, the Pistachio Nut Butter Cake was out of this world!! We eagerly look forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- Very tasty and creative meal.kristinwDined on 7/20/2013I went with a group of 4, and we all ordered the prix fixe menu. Everything was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant in transitiontukkaDined on 7/20/2013We had an "interesting" evening at Sprout. The restaurant is lovely, as was the service. And we knew it was changing from a high end (expensive) approach to a more affordable, neighborhood place. It just hasn't found its way in the transition yet. We did find out they have a new GM and plan to introduce a new menu. And both he and our server seemed sincerely interested in our detailed feedback on the uneven food experience. If you go, the bass is a nice dish. Our dessert, however, should never have made it out of the kitchen. I hope they make it work. It would be a much needed addition to the DePaul neighborhood.
- Wonderful Anniversary spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2013This is my husband and my go-to anniversary spot. We are never disappointed with the food or service. The wait staff is friendly and knowledgeable. We love that we get to choose our own 3 courses and they also bring fun intermezzo dishes. The food really is exceptional. Even my hungry husband leaves satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was awesome and theCafeyVino22VIPDined on 7/13/2013The food was awesome and the prices very fair, but the service was bad. I won't go back because the service was just not good at all. You can have great food with better service at so many Chicago Restaurants that it is not worth going back. The lack of passion for food and wine in the service comes through from the minute you walk in. If it wasn't for my friend who was really looking forward to going, I would have walked out the minute we sat down.
- Mixed BlessingkygalDined on 7/13/2013Hi, THe appetizers were wonderful, the fish entree was very good, my husband had the short rib, sans rib. The meat was a shredded beef dish, and really, just was sub par. THe restaraunt was lovely, the server was a bit haughty, but perhaps she was having an off night...
- Great food!molokoplusDined on 7/12/2013Went for dinner a few weeks ago with some friends. You get an option of prix fixe or a la carte menus which I like; most of us opted for the prix fixe. All of the courses were DELICIOUS and beautifully presented. Service overall was pretty good, although there was a pretty long break in between a few courses; I think we were waiting 30 minutes for our next course. The interior is nice and very pretty, and our waiter (whose name I forget) was really nice and attentive. It was slightly expensive for what it was, but the food was high-quality so I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatNicoleVIPDined on 7/12/2013Loved the "grilled cheese". All was good from appetizers to dessert for 4 of us. Service equally outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sprout is worth a visitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/6/2013Had a wonderful evening at Sprout. We were welcomed with a glass of bubbly on the house (as it was a special occasion). For starters we had the octopus salad which was delicious as well as the pate, give the curried nuts a miss. Main courses were also very good, highly recommend the bass with a wonderful mix of flavors in the ratatoullie and crunch. Halibut with thai sauce was a little disappointing. Desserts were great! Good and affordable wine list. Front room has a wonderful ambience. Our reservation was for 8:30 P.M. on a Saturday and the main room was empty and even the front room was not full, pity, this restuarant is worth a visit, we will be back.Special Features:
- Very nice special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/5/2013Very nice special occasion restaurant. Went for an anniversary and had a lovely champagne toast at the beginning of dinner. Had the chef's menu with wine pairing. Everything was delicious, but price-wise, not sure if I would do that again. The food is delic, but the extras were not worth the additional cost. One note in closing things out for dessert. The basil vanilla ice cream is fantastic! So,ahead and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.