Springs Landing Fine Country Pub (FKA Drover's Grill and Wine Co.)
17004 Frederick Rd
Poplar Springs, MD 21771Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Springs Landing Fine Country Pub (FKA Drover's Grill and Wine Co.)
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://droversdining.com/
- Phone: 4104897717x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:30pm ‐ 9:00pm, Friday ‐ Saturday: 4:30pm ‐ 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm ‐ 8:00pm(beginning in September)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevan Vanek
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We cater any level of elegance or simplicity. We specialize in thematic culinary creations for your specific needs. Sophisticated to simple, we can do it all.
- Entertainment: The last Sunday of every month, the "Chef Sings." Classically trained opera singer/chef entertains with local talent with operatic arias and other musical selections to a thematic prix fixe dinner. Reservations only.
- Special Events: Monthly wine tastings in the Wine Company tasting room with local Maryland vintners and specially prepared small plates. Check our web site for the calendar of events. Every night is a complimentary wine tasting featuring Maryland wines and monthly features. Come taste the wine, stay and dine. Take your favorite selections home with you!
A word from Springs Landing Fine Country Pub (FKA Drover's Grill and Wine Co.)
Springs Landing, a fine country pub, in Poplar Springs, Maryland uses local natural and organically raised meats & produce whenever available. We also feature Maryland wines. We employ classical techniques to take rustic cuisine to new levels. Every recipe is made in house, from scratch, and we grow much of our own produce and herbs. Stop by and taste why we're considered Mt. Airy's Best New Restaurant!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Springs Landing Fine Country Pub (FKA Drover's Grill and Wine Co.) reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (13)neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (10)romantic (7)great for outdoor dining (7)good for groups (6)notable wine list (5)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Springs Landing in August 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Springs Landing, you must stop by and experience their food. Excellent dining experience and the chef really knows how to cook amazing food using local and fresh ingredients. You can tell that they are very passionate about their food. Experience this great find in the countryside of Maryland - www.springslandingpub.comSpecial Features:
- Brilliant DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014My 12 oz NY Strip was rare. It was spectacular. The owner quipped he hoped I would not need the steak knife he brought to table. I almost didn't. We had a mocha chocolate ice cream desert which was outstanding. Presentation, flavor and atmosphere were all superb. I highly recommend Springs Landing Fine Country Pub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodKrisPyDined on 8/13/2014Love Springs Landing. The food is always amazing. Went low-key this time and tried some sandwiches - burger and bacon's rebellion, but topnotch flavors and presentation (Kevin makes his own bacon!). Noelle and Kevin are lovely hosts - always making sure everything is perfect; very friendly. Enjoyed eating outside.Special Features:
- Nothing special.PoplarDined on 8/12/2014Our impression of the restaurant was mixed. 2 of the 4 meals were good. One burger seemed to be seasoned well and the other very bland without flavor and overcooked. The roll and fries were soggy. The salads were nice but not described well in the menu. Service was slow on the food and the waitress was constantly filling our waters even when they were full. The place is very nice inside but the food was not the best.
- WonderfulFuzzyDined on 8/6/2014We over ordered because every food description sounded better than the last. And it was. The grilled watermelon and beet salad with feta was delicious. The flatbread with scallops and shrimp was also delicious. There were five of us and we got personal attention from the chef. Everyone was very happy with their entrees. I had the truffled ravioli in a stroganoff sauce with wild mushrooms and angus "meatballs", which turned out to be three thick slices of rare tender beef. Wine by the glass was very generous and we split an incredible dark chocolate bowl filled with chocolate mousse and surrounded by four chocolate truffles for dessert. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently YummyKdsimsDined on 7/30/2014This is my third visit to this restaurant, even thought the name changed the owner/Chef Kevan and his team never cease to amaze me! Whether I order seafood or meat, raw oysters, salad or dessert, his fascinating attention to detail enlightens every dish I have ever had here. If you haven't visited yet...you are missing out!!Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/29/2014This is has become my favorite restaurant. The food and service is great. I brought 7 people from my office and every meal was very good. We had a great time. Kevin, the owner and chef came out and gave a great run down of the menu and treated the group as very special guest. If Springs Landing was located anywhere else you could not get a table and the price would be twice as muchSpecial Features:
- New menu & Love the Dry Aged RibeyeCDMDVIPDined on 7/11/2014Drover's got a new name - Spring Landing - and a new menu with sandwiches and lighter options in addition to the more gourmet choices. I love the 21 day dry aged rib eye steak - such flavor with a medley of fresh, local vegetables. My husband got the kebob special (selected chicken and steak) and thought they were the best kebobs he has ever had - great flavor, vegetables, and served over quinoa. The appetizers are bigger and better - the beet and watermelon appetizer was large, filling, and delicious for two. Fun flavor and texture combinations. The Shrimp Caprese came with three slices of tomato, fresh mozzarella, basil aioli, and a big, plump shrimp on each. The One Hope Chardonnay is perfect. Service as always was great!Special Features:
- Drover's Grill and Wine Co. for usRJM50Dined on 6/21/2014My wife and I decided to book dinner through Open Table which we have used in the past. We wanted to try something totally new and different. Drover's Grill was the place we selected to try and we're both very happy that we did! Excellent food and Chef Kevan even served our dinner at our table. I highly recommend that you try it for yourself. You won't be disappointed. We'll be back and a neighborhood gem for sure!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unfortunately a huge disapointmentSamiamDined on 6/20/2014The first impression was that we may have found a diamond in the ruff because they had a nice little deck for outside seating, great bar area, dinning room looked tight. We sat outside on the patio and were immediately assaulted by flies. A simple fan would probably solved that problem. What was even more glaring was the lack of care given to the patio which was overrun with weeds, All the intended foliage was ridiculously overgrown as well. Now to the food. The meat was of exceptional quality and cooked properly but nothing was served hot and they were not busy at all. The oysters rocoffeller room temp., surf and turf room temp with they exception of the crab soufflé which was disgusting with a giant spoiled shrimp on top.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014The food is always exceptional. Chef Kevan is a genius.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth seeking outBluefrontDined on 6/6/2014This is our fourth visit to Drover's and I'm so glad they are surviving. They are not on the beaten path but well worth seeking out. Note though that the menu changes seasonally - which is very good. But you cannot expect to go back months later and get the same great dish you liked earlier - not even the same adult beverage. However, everything the Chef sends out of the kitchen is obviously well thought out, a personal creation and excellent. Portions are just right. The wait staff are very attentive with helpful suggestions.Special Features:
- The following 135 reviews are from the Springs Landing Fine Country Pub (FKA Drover's Grill and Wine Co.) reviews archive.
- Very Enjoyable Dinning ExperienceTryNewFoodsDined on 5/3/2014On the night we went the dining room was full and they were short staffed which raised the stress level within the wait staff, even with the short staff challenge our service was excellent. Noelle (owner) waited on our table and she was very patient and helpful going over the menu. Both appetizers and salad were very good, (try the grilled hearts of romaine). For the main course we had the fresh fish catch of the day and the surf and turf, both of these dishes were outstanding. I let Noelle know how much we enjoyed the food and she had her husband Kevan the chef come out and meet us to discuss his work. Both are extremely friendly and service oriented. I love supporting local business and this one is worth supporting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drover's Does It AgainMagooDined on 5/3/2014Once again, excellent food and service in a nice but casual atmosphere.Special Features:
- BIG DisappointmentDebbieDined on 5/3/2014We ordered the bread with crab dip.....the dip was almost like a soup ~ very runny. My friend ordered the wellness entrée which came out in a large bowl. The entrée looked more like a bowl of soup ~ more broth than substance (clams, shrimp, pasta, crab, etc.). I ordered the chicken, duck and dumplings which was highly recommended by our server. I'm not sure where the chicken was....I think I had two bites of chicken meat and ten bites of chicken bones. The dumplings were so mushy they were more like a lumpy sauce. Our entree's came with fresh veggies which consisted of 6 small pieces. My husband ordered the Baked Alaska for desert ~ it was so frozen he could barely eat it. Very disappointing for the price we paid.Special Features:
- Fantastic! Glad we found these guysMDTravelerDined on 4/17/2014Was sitting on an airplane looking for a decent meal on our subsequent drive between cities, and Drover's popped up. Unless you live close by, you aren't going to just drive by this place, but you should definitely make the effort to find it. The entire meal was fantastic - artisan breads with crab dip, a fantastic onion soup, a perfectly cooked filet and a grand marnier soaked chocolate cake. Great folks too, it's a somewhat upscale place, but the people are down to earth and happy to explain the menu, joke about life and give it a real "local neighborhood" feel. We will be back.Special Features:
- Surprising FindDonSDined on 4/8/2014Not from this area, but wanted a nice dinner with my girlfriend. OpenTable came through again! Would never have found it. Very impressive. Might even drive back in the future. Steak was excellent!Special Features:
- Our Friday evening experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014Our Friday evening experience at Drovers was perfect! We enjoyed the scenic trip from Hampstead, MD and were delightfully surprised at the reception as well as the quality and presentation of food. One of our party was on a special diet and with help from our waiter the Chef accommodated her every request. After entrees and before dessert (including chocolate martinis) we were serenaded with a special 101 Dalmatian version of Happy Birthday by the chef. The entire evening was memorable and relaxing. The atmosphere and waiter service was second to none. This is a "Diamond in the Rough". PerfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightAJDDateDined on 3/28/2014Seated by loud table of women celebrating birthday and whole restaurant was open. Dinner was raw and taken back to kitchen and same meal was cooked further and returned. Decor in restaurant is shabby; peeling stone faux wall paper. Would not go back no recommend to anyone.
- Food is marvelous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/27/2014Great, and I mean great food! Very friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was goodUltracsicVIPDined on 3/21/2014Booked off open table we came in on a Friday night. We were surprised to find only one other table occupied. Very nice husband and wife team and the food is the emphasis. Plastic flower on the table with hand cut paper table cloth, fake stone wall paper. Not the elegant space you might expect, but the food was very good. Try it if you're in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Nice place, great foodDelightedDinersVIPDined on 3/15/2014Drovers is a homey place. The restaurant was understaffed on the night we visited so service was less than optimal. The staff was very pleasant and apologetic for the delays we encountered. The food was very good and reasonably priced for what we ordered. The restaurant's decor could use an update. The entry way is tight for the restaurant side. We came in and weren't sure which way to go to the restaurant side of the establishment, they also have a bar side. There were lots of cars in the parking lot but the dining room was only about 50% full. Overall we had a nice experience, there is room for improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food at DroversRowdaddyVIPDined on 3/15/2014This was my third time eating at Drovers and the food was wonderful unfortunately it seemed that they were grossly understaffed. I was glad that our party was in no hurry and [n a way enjoyed the very sparse service. I think that shortly after we arrived that there was only one waitress for the whole dinning room. I hope they are able to fix this staffing problem I. I will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dream of Drover'sLouDieDined on 3/13/2014Drovers has been a favorite place of mine for the past 3 years. You can't fine an upscale eatery in the town where your experience from making a reservation, to being greeted, seated and served absolutely the best food is exceptional. This past week I took friends who had not visited there before and they had rave reviews. Meeting the owner/operator/chef who vicits all his customers sealed the deal. They will definitely return, taking their friends and family too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Mix of Wonderful Flavorstreat2eatDined on 3/8/2014Wow! Loved the crab soufflé and lobster entree with mushroom raviolis. Thank you so much for modifying your menu for a member of our party who had specific foods she needed to avoid. She loved her meal! Hope to come next time when you have the opera feature! Great food and lovely service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect night at DroversRowdaddyVIPDined on 2/15/2014This was our second visit to Drovers and it was great again. The five course meal was both Imaginative and beautiful. we started with the appetizer which was a selection of meats and cheeses beautifully displayed. The second course was Lobster Bisque which was very flavorful followed by a leafy salad. The entrees were equally delicious,ampule and beautiful. For the last course we had the Creme Brulee with a mango strawberry sauce, all the while we were being serenaded by a young lady with a beautiful soprano voice accompanied by an acoustic guitar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Valentine Dinnerlive2eatDined on 2/15/2014Drover's exceeded my previous great opinion about the restaurant. Always great food and great service. The ambiance for Valentine's Day weekend was wonderful. The price fix meals were reasonable and divine - every morsel from appetizers to desserts were fantastic! The addition of the opera singer was a total treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not too impressedcfidDined on 2/14/2014we made the mistake of not realizing that there was a limited menu for Valentines Day. We were not impressed with our choices and did not like the way the food was paired with other. Some of the dishes were tasty and others not good at all. The duck was so salty that it was hard to eat., The "ganache cake" was nothing more than an betty crocker type cake with icing. Was not a fan of the pate and it ruined the flavor of the stuffed pheasant. Maybe our tastes weren't sophisticated enough for this restaurant, so we will definitely not be back.Special Features:
- Not worth itDisappointedDined on 2/14/2014We ate here for valentines day. We only go out about once a month so this was supposed to be a real treat. We were very upset and disappointed. We were lead through the very crowded dining room to a table with paper over it and an unlit candle. We found out after we were seated that the menu was price fixe at an outrageous $69/person. We figured that the food must be great to charge this much in this area so we stayed against our better judgement. Most of what we were served was inedible. The appetizer, soup, and salad tasted terrible. We were served the wrong thing twice and had three different servers over the course of dinner. If you like your food to taste good, save yourself the disappointment and go somewhere else.Special Features:
- Valentine's DayLiveroeatDined on 2/14/2014This is a good restaurant for that special occasion. Being Valentine's Day the menu, as well as the wine list, was very limited. The food was good and the service as well. They tried to crowd a few to many tables into the restaurant, which made a "Romantic" dinner impossible. The servers worked hard, but were obviously overwhelmed by the crowd. This to the extend that some tables got up and left for not being waited on efficiently. The restaurant definitely deserves another try, when it is a normal day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drover's had a fixed priceKathleenDinerDined on 2/14/2014Drover's had a fixed price 5 course menu for Valentine's Day. Most of the selections were very good, but I shouldn't have ordered the seafood entree because the seafood (especially the lobster tail) was not that fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of our favoriteslocalsDined on 2/14/2014always friendly service and excellent food. never have been unhappy with our dining experience. we go there quite often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseRatPackFanDined on 2/1/2014I found this on OT and figured we would give it a try. the staff was very friendly, offered suggestions for our meal. decent wine list and reasonably priced at ten dollars a glass. the dinning area is small and separate from the bar. there is a small patio that was not being used due to weather. Drinks arrived within 10 minutes, appetizers took a half hour and entree about 45 minutes. crowd was thirty something up to geriatric. decor was dated, seats not so comfortable. seating was crowded but not overwhelmingly so. the Drover is located far from any town so it looked mostly a local crowd. My wife and I had a pleasant evening. check was $120+tip for two. Music was age appropriate and not too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aged ribeye is a home runCDMDVIPDined on 1/31/2014Kevan, the owner and chef, scored a major homerun with his improvements to his dry aged ribeye dinner. Moist, flavorful, tender with nice big slices. We loved the vegetables...thinly sliced scalloped potatoes...very nice round serving size with a few layers of other vegetable, like a fantastic exotically spiced carrot and zucchini. The tuna and salmon tartare came in an endive boat with a balsamic reduction swirled underneath...absolutely delicious! We shared the pear with myer lemon tart with white chocolate ice cream. The sour of the lemon was tempered by the smoothness of the ice cream. The One Hope wine where part of the proceeds go to charity is delicious. We love Noelle who is warm, friendly, gracious, and fantastic!Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekRavtownDined on 1/25/2014I had heard of this restaurant and had wanted to go and restaurant week provided the impetus. Great menu for restaurant week, but the ala carte menu was basically limited to the items on the restaurant week menu. Food was excellently prepared and presented. the only disappointment was that some of the menu items were no longer available at 7:30 pm. All in all an interesting find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic DateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/11/2014My wife and I went here for a date and it was great! The food was excellent. Low light and candle lit tables. Great staff. The only complaint I have is that the portion sizes are a little small for the price. We had the Thrice duck entree and it was delicious! We had a bowl of soup, the entree, and a desert. We were satisfied but didn't have any leftovers. We would definitely come back again for a date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still searching for a local gem!C2inMDDined on 12/31/2013New Year's was our second visit to Drover's; the first was just 4 days prior. We enjoyed our visit the first time. Unfortunately, they were overwhelmed on New Year's eve. For the price they were charging, the 845pm reservation deserved the same excellent service as the 7pm reservation...this was not the case :( In a nutshell, here were the major issues: 1) we waited >30 minutes past our reserved time to be seated; 2) we had a special request for one of the 5 guests that I arranged ahead of time with the owner, which was not remembered; and 3) my prime rib (and my son's) was drier than the Mojave desert in August. We spent almost $500 for a special night to remember. This is probably not the way they'd want us to remember it.Special Features:
- Missed out on the good stuffKdsimsDined on 12/26/2013Sadly our reservation must've been too late because we came for the seafood, and they were all out. I am however pleased to say that this restaurant is equally talented in their preparation of meats. Our steaks were delicious! And perfectly cooked!! I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious! Service was excellentsimplefoodeeDined on 12/20/2013Delicious! Service was excellent - such a wonderful experience!!Special Features:
- Loved the figgy pudding.TinyTim60Dined on 12/15/2013We wish every success to this restaurant although with mixed feelings because if it success takes off as deserved we will soon have to make reservations months in advance it is our favorite special occasion restaurant with friendly staff wonderful food and Great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.