Spring House Restaurant, Kitchen & Bar
450 North Spring Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Spring House Restaurant, Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.springhousenc.com/
- Phone: (336) 293-4797
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Timothy Grandinetti, C.E.C.
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining
A word from Spring House Restaurant, Kitchen & Bar
Spring House Restaurant, Kitchen & Bar located in Winston-Salem, the Piedmont region of North Carolina, is a destination for New American cooking and artisan cocktails creatively prepared by Chef Timothy Grandinetti. The distinctive menu is inspired by the seasons and served with true Southern hospitality in a restored 1920's landmark residence. Spring House features gracious private rooms, outdoor patios, and a lawn terrace for celebrations and gatherings of all types.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Spring House Restaurant, Kitchen & Bar - Best Restaurants in Winston-Salem ›
Spring House Restaurant, Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (47)romantic (46)fit for foodies (45)great for outdoor dining (30)neighborhood gem (30)good for groups (27)great for lunch (17)notable wine list (14)great for brunch (8)scenic view (6)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Girls night out, we were well treated!SashyDined on 11/22/2014We booked this restaurant based on the great reviews and we weren't disappointed. The setting was beautiful, the food was great and the atmosphere was warm and friendly. We had a drink in the stunning navy colored bar before dinner and our bartender made a special drink just based on our preference for something that was "more sour and less sweet". Our table was located in a quiet corner next to a pretty window. The waitress was very attentive and helpful. The meal was delicious, we loved it all. After dinner we walked around the house checking out all of the interesting old newspaper articles framed on the walls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dining ExperiencesadisophDined on 11/15/2014We had previously dined at the charming Spring House Restaurant and always thought it was very good, but this most recent dining experience was outstanding. The service was impeccable and the food was inventive and quite delicious. My husband and I each ordered very different dishes, but both felt this was one of the best dining experiences we have had since moving to Winston-Salem 3 years ago. We thought it was a little strange that the restaurant charged for the bread service, but once it came, we were blown away by the selection and deliciousness. The portion was huge and we ended up taking more than half home with us. We love the location and the lovely interior and grounds. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but our waitress wasn't!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014We just got unlucky with the waitress, who was a little rude especially for thid kind of restaurant. The fiood was very good though. I wish they had beers in tap too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dining experience...Gracie11Dined on 11/8/2014Friendly professional staff greeted us warmly, found us a beautiful table and we loved all the delicious dishes we chose from Chef Tim's creative menu! Loved hearing about the history of this historic home...its a real piece of Winston Salem history! Spring House is the best place to dine in Winston Salem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantfoodguruDined on 11/6/2014The food and service were outstanding. The atmosphere was very comfortable. Service was timely but without feeling like you were being rushed. It was excellent for conversation and the music selections were beautiful. A very welcoming feeling whether you were in blue jeans to very dressed up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a pleasant eveninghappytimesDined on 10/27/2014we had a lovely time for dinner. we will go back. happy to see the re-use of the property and the commitment to its original character. our meal and service were very good especially for a Monday night when you might have less than attentive service and a marginal food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date Night FindOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Superb service from a very professional staff. The friendly bar staff provides well balanced cocktails and interesting conversation. The food exceeds expectations in terms of portion, flavor, and presentation. I would recommend dining at the Spring House every time the opportunity presents itself.Special Features:
- Delightful for parents weekend!LisaDined on 10/24/2014Fun spot with great food and service. Highly recommend for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/24/2014Great wake forest parent weekend dinner. Greatservice. Interesting dishes. Lovely owners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another awesome dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014Absolutely the best meal in Winston Salem. Unique choices and special times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply AmazingSimplythebestDined on 10/17/2014This was our fist visit to Spring House. It was our 5 year wedding anniversary and we wanted to go somewhere we haven't been and that was nice. Our time there was nothing but amazing! We really had the best service and the food was cooked to perfection! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely settingNCDeaconVIPDined on 10/11/2014We took our son and his girlfriend here for dinner because of the beautiful setting and interesting menu. Asked for a "quiet table" on Open Table reservation. Unfortunately we were seated in the sunroom next to a group with a toddler and a baby. Not the kind of restaurant to take children (I felt sorry for the children) Needless to say, in spite of good food, it was so loud, we could barely hear each other talk across the table. Our server was nice, and food seemed good, but for almost $250 (with tip and wine), probably won't hurry back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLive2eatDined on 10/10/2014Food was amazing. Service was great. Wonderful night outSpecial Features:
- AWESOME !!!!SpringHouseFanDined on 10/7/2014Spring House is such a wonderful lunch venue. The food is incredible. The waiters/waitresses, they take such great care of you when you're there, as if you are the only one in the place. Every visit I've ever had was the best food I've ever had. Thank you for coming to downtown Winston. Definitely a grand addition !Special Features:
- Wake Parent Treatcm2mdDined on 9/27/2014We love to take our daughter and her friends to Spring House for a special treat. The owner/maitre d' is so warm and welcoming it make one feel as if you are dining at home during the holidaysSpecial Features:
- RecommendedcoffeesnobDined on 9/26/2014I had the seafood pasta and my husband had the Parmesan-crusted grouper. Both were good. We started with the Disco Fries which were better than I expected. Nice selection on the wine menu with affordable to high end. Love the swanky bar. The house is beautiful, so it would be perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceBobBDined on 9/19/2014We had a wonderful dinner for 8 people. The menu offered something for everyone and our meals were delivered promptly. Bar service was excellent and the wait staff was very good. We had a delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Friday Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/19/2014The experience at Spring House was very good! We were greeted by the chef when we arrived and were treated like special guests the entire evening. Food and service were awesome. Highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014It was a very pleasant experience Our only complaint is that there wasn't enough food to satisfy us and take some home for laterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & service are always amazingAmberBDined on 9/13/2014One out our favorite places to go for a great meal in a relaxed atmosphere. Our server was amazing and the food was spectacular. Great ambiance and charm. A must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good special occasion restaurantDaveDined on 9/13/2014Went for wife's BD. She had foie gras and beef cheeks. I had shrimp cocktail and sirloin with fried oysters. Booth were very good. For dessert, her chocolate cake was dry. My bread pudding was very good. We were somewhat surprised the wine list was not more extensive, especially within the sparkling wines category. The service was top notch. Attentive without being overwhelming. All-in-all a very good restaurant and we'll most like be back.Special Features:
- 53yearsandcountingDined on 9/10/2014enjoyed the complimentary champagne for our anniversary. Good service, Good food.Special Features:
- Excellent place to dineSlomamaDined on 9/6/2014Spring House is an excellent restaurant . Food was delicious, atmosphere perfect and service superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneven.M2thaC1369Dined on 9/4/2014Food was pretty good, but not quite worth the prices charged. We also had a difficult time getting on the same page as our waitress, who seemed to be handling every table we could see. I've seen people laud the gluten-free menu, but we were not offered one even on request.Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014We celebrated my husbands birthday here and it was wonderful! I definitely recommend Spring House.Special Features:
- Just So-SoOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/30/2014Ambiance was nice...cute place with nice decor. We were seated promptly. Bread was fresh, but kind of a strange assortment, including a foccacia and a sweet bread that doesn't really work with the goat cheese. Appetizer was fine. We ordered the fried chicken w/cheesy grits and the beef cheeks w/rosemary garlic smashed potatoes. Both were bland and nothing special. I didn't get smashed potatoes but instead red potatoes. For dessert we ordered the lemon glazed angel food cake with chocolate cake combo. Angel food cake was good, but the chocolate cake was very dry. For the prices here, I was not impressed with the quality of the food. Service was fine but nothing special. I feel there are better restaurants in Winston at this price point.Special Features:
- Expected more......SusiQDined on 8/23/2014Kind of disappointed. Everything I ate was deep fried- tasted like it came out of the freezer and thrown into the oil :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as rememberedMelizbullDined on 8/9/2014This is the second time we've been. My husband and one of our friends had the grouper special and were not very fond of it. The first time we went I was very impressed with the menu and food quality. I know that the menu is seasonal, and changes, so this might not have been our time. We will probably try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DavidHungryDined on 8/8/2014Great food nice staff, would have loved to have used the outside dinner but the weather was not goodSpecial Features:
- Local Favorite! Best in WinstonNCfoodieDined on 8/8/2014We have dined at Spring House several times, and we are always delighted. Menu offers seasonal specialities. Wine list is very nice. Desserts are not to be missed. Atmosphere is relaxing with quiet sophistication. My favorite restaurant in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday Ever..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014The wine food and wait staff was outstanding. Very romantic, can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but doesn't equal priceKittyDined on 8/1/2014This was our second visit to Spring House. We love the atmosphere, but if you're expecting to get what you pay for then you may be disappointed. We liked most of our dishes, but they were average in my opinion. I was most disappointed with the dessert. It was $11 piece of cake. First of all who charges that much for ONE slice of cake. Nobles only charges $5 for cake & theirs tops Spring House cake by far. It was a vanilla cake w/peanut butter filling & chocolate frosting. Sounded perfect! Nope. The only thing good was the filing. The cake was so dry w/no flavor & the icing had a weird burnt flavor. It tasted like it was made a week prior & they were trying to get rid of it. Cool place, but better southern food found at Mozels or Artisan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 278 reviews are from the Spring House Restaurant, Kitchen & Bar reviews archive.
- Once again, superb!aLocalPatronWSDined on 7/19/2014I've eaten here twice and both times have had some of the best food there is in W-S (IMO). Already looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An over the top experienceFiveStarRestaurantDined on 7/18/2014The Spring House is one of the top restaurants in Winston-Salem. The food was outstanding, the service exceeded our expectations, & the ambiance was relaxing. My wife & I will be back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JToddKigerDined on 7/14/2014What a FANTASTIC experience! The food was excellent, service and staff were great! Looking forward to another dinner at the Spring House very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Polished to perfection!sjoeybVIPDined on 7/3/2014First off, the ambiance is phenomenal. The restaurant is housed in a 1920's mansion that has been restored beautifully. The Chef has created a menu that features local items that are supremely fresh. We had a wonderful meal. Make sure to save room for deserts they are amazing too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014I have tried so many times to love this place. It is a beautifully-executed setting and ambiance, but everything else is a disaster. First, they never deliver on their food and drink specials:on their Friday "$5 Maker's Mark Old Fashioned" night, I watched the bartender use Old Weller. When I recently went for their special $19 oyster and bubbly combo, they did not even have fresh oysters. Second, they only offer tasteless potato chips with their sandwiches, and if you want a salad or fries, it is a $5 up charge. Speaking of their chips, they serve store bought/bottled, low-quality ranch dressing as a dipping side, which is not edible. I have to say that the 40% markup on their grocery store wines is the worst part of all.
- Special and uniqueStevemVIPDined on 6/28/2014From the minute you step on the property and see the beautiful white house, gardens and outdoor patio you just know you're in for something special. We dined outdoors on a perfect night and had that wonderful combination of food, drink and service to be outstanding. Dishes have a southern flair but presented in a very unique way. Shrimp and Grits and Fried Chicken served with a house made pepper jelly are just examples of what might be the most creative menu in Winston Salem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Next time we will bring friendsMickeyDined on 6/27/2014It was fantastic..........from the time we walked in, got seated right away, perfect seating to see outside and the waitstaff were great. No rushing, hovering or the like and the food was OMG.......My husgand had the fat man jambylia and I had the grouper and then we both had dessert which was fantastic. The bread pudding is 2nd to my mother's :). I had wine and my husband had the mint julep. One of the better ones I have had. Overall experience was great and we will definitley return with friends.Special Features:
- Jma12jDined on 6/17/2014Foodies delight. #sweetbreads Yeah. .....yeahSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.