134 South Highland Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15206Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.spoonpgh.com/
- Phone: 4123626001
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian Pekarcik
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Spoon Pittsburgh
Spoon "eat. drink. lounge" is an Modern American Restaurant and Lounge. Although the cuisine and wine will be in a casual-fine dining setting, the product we deliver both in service and food will remain refined and detail oriented. We will constantly strive to source seasonal, local and sustainable products whenever possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Spoon Pittsburgh - Best Restaurants in Shadyside ›
Spoon Pittsburgh reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (121)special occasion (106)romantic (80)neighborhood gem (71)notable wine list (50)good for groups (28)hot spot (27)vibrant bar scene (13)great for outdoor dining (8)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Great JobOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/30/2014Great meal and the tomato water and basil sorbet was AMAZING and very creative highlights!Special Features:
- Delicious!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014Delicious food, great presentation, friendly waiter, and best bread basket I have ever had! I will be back to Spoon very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Through opentable I made a special request (not specifying what) but they followed it exactly and helped me make my date extremely happy. They are always eager to please and I'm really happy that I chose spoon. Definitely come here for a special occasion or to impress, because their bread basket and desserts are to die for! This place is absolutely amazing - recommended for all! Kudos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014We went here for our 10 year wedding anniversary. The food and service was beyond outstanding! They were able to accommodate several dietary restrictions for my wife without a problem. I would recommend this restaurant for anyone visiting the area. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great food, Good for business mealsBozemanMikeVIPDined on 8/25/2014Took my boss out to Spoon while he was in town. He raved about the Fois Gras topped prime burger and the service. We had a nice quiet table and were able to talk in normal voices. Big change from a lot of places we visit. The inexpensive and convenient valet parking makes this a go to place for a well valued meal, but with innovative and enjoyable cuisine. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatlebeukVIPDined on 8/24/2014We always love the food at Spoon. The braised rabbit pepperadelle was outstanding, as was the pork tenderloin.Special Features:
- Just sayingOnewhodinesDined on 8/23/2014Loved the veggie entree. All at our table were pleased with their meals.Special Features:
- Amazing!JoshBHRDined on 8/22/2014Couldn't have had a better date that night. Incredible service / amazing food / couldn't have picked a better place to go. Would highly recommend Spoon to anyone and everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a business dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Met a client for dinner at spoon. From the minute we walked in the door the service was fabulous. Started with there heirloom salad which I could not get enough of and ended with the filet mignon which melted in my mouth. Bottom line is I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mbergerartVIPDined on 8/19/2014Have eaten there many times but this was the best meal ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningJayDeeVIPDined on 8/19/2014Came here work a work colleague after a long, exhausting day. Enjoyed a relaxing, slow paced evening. The food was wonderful and the staff so attentive (without being over bearing).Special Features:
- ServicemissingpghDined on 8/17/2014Everyone loved their food and had a great time. One of my companions noted in the car afterward that it was the best service he had ever received.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good choice! yummy!ab38Dined on 8/17/2014We had the restaurant week menu so we could taste quite a variety.I was impressed especially by the bread basket,sliced baugettes,muffins and biscuits.I think we had two baskets and didn't dare to ask for a third one :P.Food was great,creative and not too salty (only chicken broth was),and dessert not too sweet. When I made the reservation more than 2 weeks in advance,I mentioned about celebrating my husband's birthday so I asked if they could write 'happy birthday' on the dessert plate.I wasn't sure if they would remember, so when the desserts came out,both of us were surprised!They even put a candle at the corner.And when we left,seemed like everyone there knew about my husband's birthday and all said happy birthday to him.That was sweet!Special Features:
- Interesting placeLiverpoolDined on 8/16/2014Interesting food combination with lots of variety. Location is good for the east end of pittsburgh.Special Features:
- Thanks for a great night of food!bwp97Dined on 8/14/2014The Gorgonzola Souffle was to die for- it was amazing! Please keep that on your menu! My husband and I had the Ancho Chile Pork Tenderloin that was very tender. Mine was a bit too rare for my liking but the very apologetic server took it back and it was brought back promptly- and NOT overcooked either:-) The accompanying crepes were phenom as well and the tomatillo sauce was awesome but I wish I had more. My husband had the Spoon Bar for dessert and loved it while I had an almond cake with berries and sauces that I thought was better than his;-) Sorry but I cannot remember the name of the dessert. Would definitely recommend this restaurant and we will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great Dinner at SpoonliterateinitDined on 8/13/2014I dined at Spoon during Restaurant Week, and I chose a three-course meal that was wonderful. The appetizer--grilled asparagus with prosciutto and other items--fell a little flat for me; the choice of cheese seemed off, and strawberries seemed at odds with the more delicate flavor of the figs. Bacon-wrapped cod entree was better than I'd imagined--very flavorful and tender fish. Dessert was shared all around--Spoon Bar. Service was great across the board from bartender to the final course.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be back...SouthHillsDinerDined on 8/12/2014My friends and I decided to be adventuresome and break out of the South Hills and explore city dining. Spoon was our first choice. The food was amazing. We shared the heirloom tomato tasting and the seared foi gras. The presentations were creative and appetizing but the taste was flavorful and unique. Especially the heirloom tasting. We ordered the halibut, seared Ahi and Beef for the main courses. Each dish was a new taste surprise with creative flavor combinations. There is a young vibe to the place with a quiet ambience. Wine list seemed to cover many price points. We loved the whole experience and will definitly be leaving the South Hills more often.Special Features:
- Restaurant weekTzingerDined on 8/11/2014Very nice atmosphere. Friendly to diners. Calm decor appealing. Food was very good and elegantly plated.Special Features:
- Very good meal, attentive staffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014We had a great meal and the wait staff were very good. It was early on a Sunday night, so it wasn't very crowded, so it was quiet. a relaxing and enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EveningKplusDVIPDined on 8/8/2014Finally had time to enjoy a great dinner out and after considering numerous choices, without much enthusiasm, we remembered Spoon. Wait staff was the best we've had in a very long time. Provided excellent recommendations for cocktails, appetizers, dinner options and dessert Every suggestion was spot on. Very sorry it took us this long to return - We won't make that mistake again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant night outnecrodugDined on 8/6/2014If you are looking for artistry in cooking and meal presentation, Spoon has what you are looking for. I recently went there with my wife for our anniversary. We were immediately seated and greeted by a very knowledgeable and helpful waitress. In fact, throughout the meal, the wait staff was present but not intrusive and I had the sense of a real team in the support staff. I had the Ahi Tuna dish and it was sublime. Well cooked with an Asian inspiration but not Asian in presentation. My wife has the rock shrimp with bitter greens. I vastly preferred my dish and she definitely preferred hers for the evening - odd because we usually enjoy the same things. A testament to the helpfulness of the wait staff. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperiencechesstigerDined on 8/5/2014I took my wife here for the first time to celebrate her 50th birthday and it was a wonderful time. The food was outstanding -- these are dishes you'd expect from a master-level chef. The food was well designed in terms of balancing tastes, perfectly cooked and well presented. The staff was helpful and pleasant. And as a special treat (even though we didn't ask for it) they put a birthday candle on my wife's dessert with 'Happy Birthday' written in chocolate sauce, which she loved. One of the best restaurants in Pittsburgh and I look forward to going back again.Special Features:
- Great place to go with friendsfilmfanDined on 8/2/2014We took two foodies, who live in Paris for half a year and they were very pleased with the whole experience. thanks for the sommelier too who came to the table and gave us more info on the Rioja we wanted to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Night outPittdiningDined on 8/2/2014We love coming to this restaurant and have been four or five times. No specials on the menu, though the menu does change to fit the season. They use mostly local providers, including local farms, and they even grow their own vegetables on their roof.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another lovely meal at Spoon!mischiefmanager17Dined on 8/1/2014My group of 6 was here over the weekend, and everyone was very happy with their experiences. Very attentive, informative, and accomodating waitstaff, a menu that could easily accomodate our tastes and restrictions (one of us is a vegetarian), and beautifully presented and delicious food. We don't get to come here often, but every time we do, we are glad we did! Extra bonus: the noise level was manageable, which is not common these days.Special Features:
- Excellent food, great atmosphereYllwDandelionsDined on 7/30/2014I took my girlfriend to this place once before, and it was outstanding. So, when it was time to celebrate her birthday, I thought this would be a good place for a romantic treat. It was amazing. I ordered the beef entree, and the asparagus starter. The waiter recommended a wine that paired perfectly with my meal. For dessert, I had the banana cake and coffee. Even the coffee - French press - is splendid. My girlfriend ordered the duck entree, and the tomato soup starter. She couldn't stop raving about the food. Even though the food is great, the service and the atmosphere is what makes coming to Spoon an event. The place is pricy, so be prepared. For most people, Spoon might be a once-a-year event. Also, it isn't terribly kid-friendly.Special Features:
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014A lovely evening. Unique food, and spot on portion sizes. The wine expert was a wonderful conversationalist. Enjoyed the meal and will return.Special Features:
- Solid Modern CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014Modern, experimental American cuisine. Food not only looked great, but also tasted great. Had the braised rabbit, fantastic. One of Pittsburgh's five best restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Proud to be a "foodie"tapas4everyoneDined on 7/26/2014Love, love, loved Spoon! There was nothing sub par from the wine to the bread--Best bread I you'll ever have. It was wonderful! All of our meals were delicious.Special Features:
- Cheers!JLC55VIPDined on 7/25/2014We chose to have a couple of appetizers with a glass of wine at the bar. The service was great! Not to mention the food...great as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic mealRJ50Dined on 7/25/2014We hadn't been back to spoon in a while and were delighted with our experience. I loved my cocktail (though I'm blanking on the name - French something with gin and sparkling wine and peach bitters), and my companions thought the spoon take on a Pimms cup and martini were good if not spectacular. We ate outside in a tiny and charming courtyard, but despite being out of the main flow service was attentive. When we had wine questions, the waiter sent the wine steward who recommended the second least expensive wine amongst the Tempranillos and it was delicious and perfect with the mix of seafood and meat dishes. The grilled octopus salad and the bacon wrapped cod were amazing but everything we tried was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dgatesDined on 7/25/2014This visit was not as wonderful as ones in the past. Overall I would say it has lost its edge...we have felt that in the past it was the best tasting food in town...the biscuits which are usually fantastic were a little heavy and under cooked (little gummy) and generally the food was a little too normal. Our waitress was very very theatrical and reeked of insincerity...to the point of being annoying and a joke.
- Didn't live up to the hype.Jester4804Dined on 7/21/2014Four of us had dinner last night and it was nothing to write home about. The pappardelle was under done. Which is hard to do being that it's fresh and also, it clumped together. A definite no no in a restaurant of this caliber. How did the chef let this go to the table?! We were all really excited and left feeling let down.
- Food was good but blah atmosphere!PittsburgherDined on 7/20/2014It has been a while since we've been here so we thought to go again. We ordered the duo beef, scallops and halibut. We were very happy with our entrees and the service overall. However, the server could have been a little friendlier and at least explained the items on the menu. We asked what was the special of the day and she answered there was none and everything on the menu are special. Oh really?? We were a bit turned off by her answer without any explanation of the menu but otherwise everything were ok. The restaurant was quite empty. All the guests (6 tables) were seated only to the smaller side of restaurant. The atmosphere felt a bit uncomfortable for us. I doubt if we would come back though we did enjoyed our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!JCitDined on 7/15/2014We went to Spoon for our anniversary and it was wonderful! We went all out, appetizers, wine, main course and desserts. Every aspect of the meal was fabulous. The server was attentive to our questions and offered great recommendations. The Spoon Bar dessert is amazing!Special Features:
- Meh..CBC13Dined on 7/12/2014We were glad to finally try Spoon. The food was wonderful - nothing we were going to find on other menus, and that was impressive. The service seemed to be a little distracted. We were seated immediately, but had to wait 7 or 8 minutes before the hostess noticed we hadn't been visited by a server. She got us a drink, but it took at least another 8 or so minutes for our server to find us (even though he was serving the table next to ours & had visited them frequently), and I had the feeling we really didn't have his whole attention. Regrettably, this dampened our enthusiasm for our otherwise excellent dinner, and I'm sorry to say we won't be back.
- TikiDined on 7/11/2014As always, a wonderful evening. Great service-waiter very knowledgeable. Meal timed perfectly.Special Features:
- always goodHomecookDined on 7/11/2014We eat at spoon regularly, the food is consistently good and they make great cocktails. We can't get enough of the cream cheese filled biscuits and corn dill muffins. Unfortunately, on our last visit, they were playing an annoying and very loud music track that made conversation at our table difficult, but the food was as good as we've come to expect.Special Features:
- Did not disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Based on reviews, we elected to dine at Spoon during a long weekend in Pittsburgh (our first visit to that city). Everyone in our party enjoyed their meals, particularly the duck dish (the rabbit pappardelle was a bit under seasoned). We would certainly recommend Spoon to others in turn.Special Features:
- lovetodineDined on 6/28/2014I had never been to Spoon until two weeks ago. My husband and I had dinner on two consecutive Saturdays. The food was so great the first time that we decided to bring out-of-town friends Sat. night. We love not only the food, but the atmosphere. The only complaint I have is that the staff needs to have a warmer and more welcoming disposition. On the first visit the server was a bit odd, but efficient. This past visit, the server was indifferent and even somewhat argumentative when questioned about a wine, and never once checked on us to see how our food was throughout our three course meal. For a place that obviously wants to present the total package, they need to ensure that their servers are up to par with the caliber of the restaurant.Special Features: