134 South Highland Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15206Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.spoonpgh.com/
- Phone: 4123626001
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian Pekarcik
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Spoon Pittsburgh
Spoon "eat. drink. lounge" is an Modern American Restaurant and Lounge. Although the cuisine and wine will be in a casual-fine dining setting, the product we deliver both in service and food will remain refined and detail oriented. We will constantly strive to source seasonal, local and sustainable products whenever possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Spoon Pittsburgh - Best Restaurants in Shadyside ›
Spoon Pittsburgh reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (116)special occasion (99)romantic (73)neighborhood gem (67)notable wine list (51)good for groups (28)hot spot (22)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (7)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great findpold2439VIPDined on 9/27/2014Overall an excellent meal for myself, my wife and three daughters (all over 21). The menu is varied and offers enough variety for vegetarians (one of my daughters). The breast of Chicken was expertly done and included a smoked thigh which was a nice compliment to the breast. The cod wrapped in bacon was also flavorful and nicely done. The beef duo included three decent sized pieces of ribeye and three pieces of brisket. Ribeye was very good, brisket needs something more, it was a bit bland. Need to work on the service. Somewhat uneven and it took almost 15 minutes after we were seated for the waiter even to come over.Special Features:
- Not what I had expectedMidgemillerVIPDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I had been patiently waiting to come to Spoon. Finally when the day came my taste buds were so excited, but we left unsatisfied. The food presentation was beautiful, but lacked on taste. Definitely there were many options to choose from as far as meat, but I had a hard time deciding on what to choose as an entree. Nothing leaped out at me when I looked over the menu. I chose the bacon wrapped cod, which tasted clean and fresh, but something was missing. The atmosphere was nice, service was awkward, food presentation was wonderful, but I wasnt completely satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014The place felt musty with those long curtains and dark decor...and we were sitting next to a fire door with a big exit sign over it, and I was looking at a lot of paint chipping off the wall next to my friend across the table...it was just depressing. It was my first time there, and I had heard great things so it was a disappointment. The servers were very good, the hostesses friendly and the food was okay, if unremarkable. The wine disappointed, especially for the price. Overall, the total dining experience did not impress.
- Good experiencesje1952Dined on 9/26/2014Spoon delivers! Had a great dinner here. Not only was the food wonderful, but it was presented artfully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- long wait for tasteless foodjvs1VIPDined on 9/21/2014Nice atmosphere.friendly waiter. 45 minute wait for 1 st course..corn soup...good. Another 45 minute wait for main course. $29 tuna dish that was tasteless. 3 people ordered the tuna and all agreed that it was a bad dish. Also one portion had 5 slices and the others had 7, but the fish was so bland that we didn't want more. They comped the one dish that the dinner couldn't eat.
- Where's the cheese?gumboVIPDined on 9/21/2014Went for the vegetable plate as a main course. The cannelloni filling was very good, but wrapped in a thin packaged dough, nothing like true pasta. But more disappointing was the "eggplant w/parm". It was prepared like a breaded,fried ball..no cheese, greasy puree and tasteless. Tomato sauce was scarce, thick and tasteless. I guess if you go for something without meat, they figure you also want something without taste. My wife's pork was ten times better. The octopus salad was very tender and tasty. Great combination.
- LOVE, LOVE, LOVEOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014We have been to Spoon two times so far and it is, without a doubt, my husband's and my favorite restaurant of all time! The food is AMAZING, creative and beyond delicious! Our server, Adam, was very professional and hospitable and our mixed drinks were perfectly prepared. Valet makes it a breeze for only $3. Spoon with its chef and staff are fabulous! Thank you, Spoon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it's all about JeanetteiriniDined on 9/13/2014excellent cocktails, innovative yet simply prepared great ingredients= a wonderful meal. The game changer however was Jeanette, what an experience. attentive, without hovering, more character than insincere fake interest in us. can't fully explain but we will definitely ask for her on our next visit. MAJOR LESSON FOR ALL RESTAURANTS-SERVICE DOES COUNT!Special Features:
- Special Event - Special ExperiencedinerenaDined on 9/12/2014Spoon delivered on every count - from reception, service, sommelier guidance, exquisite food, ambiance. I've dined at Spoon several times and the restaurant consistently provides an outstanding dining experience. We ordered steak tartare, fois gras (guilty as charged but delicious), and quail. Each dish succulent and wonderful and presented beautifully. Since I indicated on the reservation that it was my birthday, I received the bonus birthday dessert which is always a nice touch. Dining out frequently, I enthusiastically say that Spoon is among my top choices for consistently exciting food, professional and courteous service and overall memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!ETDTGDined on 9/12/2014One of the best restaurants we have ever visited! The heirloom salad - amazing! Everything was great - the soufflé, the braised beef - they make their vermouths in-house - try them. They also make their own gin. They use local producers. Loved everything - can't wait to get back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could NOT have been better!BryandjenDined on 9/6/2014What a great night! Food was incredible (quail), atmosphere was relaxed and experience was a pleasure. It was our 17th wedding anniversary and a special little token at the end was appreciated and memorable! Thank you Spoon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great JobOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/30/2014Great meal and the tomato water and basil sorbet was AMAZING and very creative highlights!Special Features:
- Delicious!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014Delicious food, great presentation, friendly waiter, and best bread basket I have ever had! I will be back to Spoon very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not gluten free friendlyLovegoodfoodVIPDined on 8/30/2014If you can eat everything (that is, you have no allergies) this is a great place - great food and great presentation. But if you are gluten intolerant go elsewhere. The waiter was not trained to check with the kitchen accurately and report back to me so I could make appropriate choices. There were only 3 items on each side of the menu I could eat. They were not willing (according to the waiter) to substitute something I could not eat with something that I could; only willing to eliminate one thing in a dish that I could not eat. I love good food; this restaurant was a favorite of mine until I became gluten intolerant. Other upscale restaurants in Pittsburgh do a better job dealing with gluten intolerance. I will just go there from now on.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!HappygoluckyDined on 8/30/2014Through opentable I made a special request (not specifying what) but they followed it exactly and helped me make my date extremely happy. They are always eager to please and I'm really happy that I chose spoon. Definitely come here for a special occasion or to impress, because their bread basket and desserts are to die for! This place is absolutely amazing - recommended for all! Kudos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10yrweddinganniversaryDined on 8/29/2014We went here for our 10 year wedding anniversary. The food and service was beyond outstanding! They were able to accommodate several dietary restrictions for my wife without a problem. I would recommend this restaurant for anyone visiting the area. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great food, Good for business mealsBozemanMikeVIPDined on 8/25/2014Took my boss out to Spoon while he was in town. He raved about the Fois Gras topped prime burger and the service. We had a nice quiet table and were able to talk in normal voices. Big change from a lot of places we visit. The inexpensive and convenient valet parking makes this a go to place for a well valued meal, but with innovative and enjoyable cuisine. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatlebeukVIPDined on 8/24/2014We always love the food at Spoon. The braised rabbit pepperadelle was outstanding, as was the pork tenderloin.Special Features:
- Just sayingOnewhodinesDined on 8/23/2014Loved the veggie entree. All at our table were pleased with their meals.Special Features:
- Amazing!JoshBHRDined on 8/22/2014Couldn't have had a better date that night. Incredible service / amazing food / couldn't have picked a better place to go. Would highly recommend Spoon to anyone and everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a business dinnerBobby1960Dined on 8/21/2014Met a client for dinner at spoon. From the minute we walked in the door the service was fabulous. Started with there heirloom salad which I could not get enough of and ended with the filet mignon which melted in my mouth. Bottom line is I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mbergerartVIPDined on 8/19/2014Have eaten there many times but this was the best meal ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningJayDeeVIPDined on 8/19/2014Came here work a work colleague after a long, exhausting day. Enjoyed a relaxing, slow paced evening. The food was wonderful and the staff so attentive (without being over bearing).Special Features:
- ServicemissingpghDined on 8/17/2014Everyone loved their food and had a great time. One of my companions noted in the car afterward that it was the best service he had ever received.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good choice! yummy!ab38Dined on 8/17/2014We had the restaurant week menu so we could taste quite a variety.I was impressed especially by the bread basket,sliced baugettes,muffins and biscuits.I think we had two baskets and didn't dare to ask for a third one :P.Food was great,creative and not too salty (only chicken broth was),and dessert not too sweet. When I made the reservation more than 2 weeks in advance,I mentioned about celebrating my husband's birthday so I asked if they could write 'happy birthday' on the dessert plate.I wasn't sure if they would remember, so when the desserts came out,both of us were surprised!They even put a candle at the corner.And when we left,seemed like everyone there knew about my husband's birthday and all said happy birthday to him.That was sweet!Special Features:
- Interesting placeLiverpoolDined on 8/16/2014Interesting food combination with lots of variety. Location is good for the east end of pittsburgh.Special Features:
- Thanks for a great night of food!bwp97Dined on 8/14/2014The Gorgonzola Souffle was to die for- it was amazing! Please keep that on your menu! My husband and I had the Ancho Chile Pork Tenderloin that was very tender. Mine was a bit too rare for my liking but the very apologetic server took it back and it was brought back promptly- and NOT overcooked either:-) The accompanying crepes were phenom as well and the tomatillo sauce was awesome but I wish I had more. My husband had the Spoon Bar for dessert and loved it while I had an almond cake with berries and sauces that I thought was better than his;-) Sorry but I cannot remember the name of the dessert. Would definitely recommend this restaurant and we will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great Dinner at SpoonliterateinitDined on 8/13/2014I dined at Spoon during Restaurant Week, and I chose a three-course meal that was wonderful. The appetizer--grilled asparagus with prosciutto and other items--fell a little flat for me; the choice of cheese seemed off, and strawberries seemed at odds with the more delicate flavor of the figs. Bacon-wrapped cod entree was better than I'd imagined--very flavorful and tender fish. Dessert was shared all around--Spoon Bar. Service was great across the board from bartender to the final course.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be back...SouthHillsDinerDined on 8/12/2014My friends and I decided to be adventuresome and break out of the South Hills and explore city dining. Spoon was our first choice. The food was amazing. We shared the heirloom tomato tasting and the seared foi gras. The presentations were creative and appetizing but the taste was flavorful and unique. Especially the heirloom tasting. We ordered the halibut, seared Ahi and Beef for the main courses. Each dish was a new taste surprise with creative flavor combinations. There is a young vibe to the place with a quiet ambience. Wine list seemed to cover many price points. We loved the whole experience and will definitly be leaving the South Hills more often.Special Features:
- Restaurant weekTzingerDined on 8/11/2014Very nice atmosphere. Friendly to diners. Calm decor appealing. Food was very good and elegantly plated.Special Features:
- Very good meal, attentive staffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014We had a great meal and the wait staff were very good. It was early on a Sunday night, so it wasn't very crowded, so it was quiet. a relaxing and enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EveningKplusDVIPDined on 8/8/2014Finally had time to enjoy a great dinner out and after considering numerous choices, without much enthusiasm, we remembered Spoon. Wait staff was the best we've had in a very long time. Provided excellent recommendations for cocktails, appetizers, dinner options and dessert Every suggestion was spot on. Very sorry it took us this long to return - We won't make that mistake again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant night outnecrodugDined on 8/6/2014If you are looking for artistry in cooking and meal presentation, Spoon has what you are looking for. I recently went there with my wife for our anniversary. We were immediately seated and greeted by a very knowledgeable and helpful waitress. In fact, throughout the meal, the wait staff was present but not intrusive and I had the sense of a real team in the support staff. I had the Ahi Tuna dish and it was sublime. Well cooked with an Asian inspiration but not Asian in presentation. My wife has the rock shrimp with bitter greens. I vastly preferred my dish and she definitely preferred hers for the evening - odd because we usually enjoy the same things. A testament to the helpfulness of the wait staff. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Fantastic SpotDrGrapesVIPDined on 8/5/2014This was my first visit to Spoon which is located in one of those 'up and coming' areas of E. Liberty. Valet parking is convenient which helps. I was there on a weeknight and the place was super quiet. I ended up sitting at the bar and enjoying a wonderful dinner and engaging conversation with the not-busy bartender. Each menu item I ordered was fixed perfectly and presented beautifully. They have an excellent wine list and specialize in hard-to-find gins. I can't comment much about the atmosphere because it was so quiet. The interior is attractive but not terribly interesting or romantic so I wouldn't call it a 'special occasion' place but it's great for foodies.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperiencechesstigerDined on 8/5/2014I took my wife here for the first time to celebrate her 50th birthday and it was a wonderful time. The food was outstanding -- these are dishes you'd expect from a master-level chef. The food was well designed in terms of balancing tastes, perfectly cooked and well presented. The staff was helpful and pleasant. And as a special treat (even though we didn't ask for it) they put a birthday candle on my wife's dessert with 'Happy Birthday' written in chocolate sauce, which she loved. One of the best restaurants in Pittsburgh and I look forward to going back again.Special Features:
- Great place to go with friendsfilmfanDined on 8/2/2014We took two foodies, who live in Paris for half a year and they were very pleased with the whole experience. thanks for the sommelier too who came to the table and gave us more info on the Rioja we wanted to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Night outPittdiningDined on 8/2/2014We love coming to this restaurant and have been four or five times. No specials on the menu, though the menu does change to fit the season. They use mostly local providers, including local farms, and they even grow their own vegetables on their roof.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another lovely meal at Spoon!mischiefmanager17Dined on 8/1/2014My group of 6 was here over the weekend, and everyone was very happy with their experiences. Very attentive, informative, and accomodating waitstaff, a menu that could easily accomodate our tastes and restrictions (one of us is a vegetarian), and beautifully presented and delicious food. We don't get to come here often, but every time we do, we are glad we did! Extra bonus: the noise level was manageable, which is not common these days.Special Features:
- Excellent food, great atmosphereYllwDandelionsDined on 7/30/2014I took my girlfriend to this place once before, and it was outstanding. So, when it was time to celebrate her birthday, I thought this would be a good place for a romantic treat. It was amazing. I ordered the beef entree, and the asparagus starter. The waiter recommended a wine that paired perfectly with my meal. For dessert, I had the banana cake and coffee. Even the coffee - French press - is splendid. My girlfriend ordered the duck entree, and the tomato soup starter. She couldn't stop raving about the food. Even though the food is great, the service and the atmosphere is what makes coming to Spoon an event. The place is pricy, so be prepared. For most people, Spoon might be a once-a-year event. Also, it isn't terribly kid-friendly.Special Features:
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014A lovely evening. Unique food, and spot on portion sizes. The wine expert was a wonderful conversationalist. Enjoyed the meal and will return.Special Features: