134 South Highland Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15206Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.spoonpgh.com/
- Phone: 4123626001
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian Pekarcik
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Spoon Pittsburgh
Spoon "eat. drink. lounge" is an Modern American Restaurant and Lounge. Although the cuisine and wine will be in a casual-fine dining setting, the product we deliver both in service and food will remain refined and detail oriented. We will constantly strive to source seasonal, local and sustainable products whenever possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Spoon Pittsburgh - Best Restaurants in Shadyside ›
Spoon Pittsburgh reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (120)special occasion (98)romantic (77)neighborhood gem (68)notable wine list (55)good for groups (28)hot spot (20)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (7)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Best Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014We had Robbie behind the bar and had one of the best experiences ever. Great conversation, advice for everything and overall just delicious. Someone give this man a raise!Special Features:
- FantasticUndercoverCriticDined on 10/19/2014This was my first time at Spoon, and it completely exceeded my expectations. My brother has been here several times and raved about how good it was. I ordered the steak tartare and the grilled quail, both of which were incredible in every aspect. Our server was amazing, attentive to our every need, yet not obtrusive in the slightest. I haven't stopped talking about how great my experience was, nor do I plan to anytime soon. Very easily my new favorite restaurant in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I really enoyed the atmosphere of Spoon. The food was excellent and provided the perfect place for a late-night get together with friends. I used Uber to get to and from Spoon and it was excellent. I would totally go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!Out4FunDined on 10/18/2014To celebrate a milestone birthday. Booked thru OpenTable=easy peasy. Staff was friendly, the lighting/music low, the table (we were at a half-booth) was comfortable. The tile floors are SUPER slippery...be extremely careful. As someone who imbibes on a regular basis, I can vouch that the cocktails were well-described, perfectly mixed, & tasty. The apps were flavorful but short on cauliflower (why can't restaurants realize that with a table of 4 there should not be 3 portions on the app plate?!) Dinner perfectly portioned, warm, & delish! Best part: we didn't inform any of the staff about the celebration but they overhead our first round drink toast--the waiter took it upon himself to serve a delicious birthday treat! Super nice&classy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to its usual standardsChiefDined on 10/17/2014Have been here several times before' and thought this time was less impressive than usual. Also, the decor is getting tired and the place needs a minor facelift.Special Features:
- Amazing!MjflareDined on 10/17/2014We had a wonderful experience at Spoon! The food was delicious! We started with the duo of foie gras - yum!! I enjoyed the ahi tuna entree and my husband loved his pork shoulder entree! Our service was perfect from start to finish - from the friendly and helpful bartenders to our awesome waiter. We were too stuffed for dessert, but the waiter knew it was our anniversary, so he presented us each with a pear sorbet on a plate that had 'Happy Anniversary' written in chocolate!Special Features:
- Very nice placeSamBuDined on 10/16/2014Spoon is a very nice neighborhood gem. Well presented inside, the staff are very attentive and the food is very, very nice. Highly recommended. The decor is elegant and the ambience is good.Special Features:
- Excellent placeItalianfoodieDined on 10/16/2014I dine out quite a bit and I like this place for its consistency, creativity and service. Wine list also distinguishes this place from others as they are expensive but not outrageous maintaining a reasonable quality/price ratio. This is great for people like me who like to drink well without having to invest a salary. I hope it stays that way.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well prepared!lcsegDined on 10/13/2014Not every restaurant can prepare fish as well as Spoon and this something they excel at! My swordfish entree was perfectly cooked and seasoned and presented over a bed of greens with a side portion of cauliflower and potato cakes. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made music. Great foodCarrollDined on 10/13/2014Food service atmosphere was first class all the way. The computer music was like someone scratching on a blackboard. Others were chatting about the something Our waiter said he could do nothing about it and said he had lots of complaints. It was so annoying I would not go back without a promise that it had been changed. SadSpecial Features:
- Wants to be upscale ....butTodineisdivineDined on 10/11/2014Glancing at the menu, I thought it was going to be a wonderful food experience. I was a bit disappointed. The octupus I had was incredible but the Caesar salad was not. My halibut was tasteless and the pork shoulder was fatty. There were Too many inconsistencies for me. With so many fine restaurants in the area, I will probably visit them before I return.
- Spoon-My First ExperienceDinewiththegirlsDined on 10/6/2014My girlfriends and I like to go out to dinner monthly and we wanted to try somewhere new. Spoon didn't disappoint. The service was exceptional, and the food from start to finish was great! I have already put a bug in my husbands ear to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and MemorableKTuckDined on 10/3/2014Spoon has a romantic ambiance and a menu that features only the freshest, most local ingredients. Everything that we ordered was delicious. While the dishes are slightly adventurous, none are unapproachable. The chef creates creative, balanced, delicious selections that you are sure to remember. Overall, we had a fantastic experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect date night destination.DatenightDined on 10/3/2014Even though we were late to the scene, being that this place opened 4 years ago, and this was our first time coming it lived up to the hype. Relaxed but attentive service. Bread basket was all that and more. Food was unique but not bizarre. Portions were perfect, and prices were reasonable. In my opinion, a perfect date night destination with your significant other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectjackDined on 10/3/2014We found this restaurant through Open Table and WOW. We were in a bit of a hurry but the staff was extremely understanding and accommodating, and we did not have to compromise ordering in order to keep to our time limitations. As three diners, we each cleaned our plates of the appetizers we ordered (corn risotto=heavenly) and had a little left over from our main courses but not excessive. Every dish was as beautiful as it was delicious and the price was on point. Our waitress was extremely well- and mild-mannered, and attentive but not overbearing. Overall this was a fantastic dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findpold2439VIPDined on 9/27/2014Overall an excellent meal for myself, my wife and three daughters (all over 21). The menu is varied and offers enough variety for vegetarians (one of my daughters). The breast of Chicken was expertly done and included a smoked thigh which was a nice compliment to the breast. The cod wrapped in bacon was also flavorful and nicely done. The beef duo included three decent sized pieces of ribeye and three pieces of brisket. Ribeye was very good, brisket needs something more, it was a bit bland. Need to work on the service. Somewhat uneven and it took almost 15 minutes after we were seated for the waiter even to come over.Special Features:
- Not what I had expectedMidgemillerVIPDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I had been patiently waiting to come to Spoon. Finally when the day came my taste buds were so excited, but we left unsatisfied. The food presentation was beautiful, but lacked on taste. Definitely there were many options to choose from as far as meat, but I had a hard time deciding on what to choose as an entree. Nothing leaped out at me when I looked over the menu. I chose the bacon wrapped cod, which tasted clean and fresh, but something was missing. The atmosphere was nice, service was awkward, food presentation was wonderful, but I wasnt completely satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014The place felt musty with those long curtains and dark decor...and we were sitting next to a fire door with a big exit sign over it, and I was looking at a lot of paint chipping off the wall next to my friend across the table...it was just depressing. It was my first time there, and I had heard great things so it was a disappointment. The servers were very good, the hostesses friendly and the food was okay, if unremarkable. The wine disappointed, especially for the price. Overall, the total dining experience did not impress.
- Good experiencesje1952Dined on 9/26/2014Spoon delivers! Had a great dinner here. Not only was the food wonderful, but it was presented artfully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- long wait for tasteless foodjvs1VIPDined on 9/21/2014Nice atmosphere.friendly waiter. 45 minute wait for 1 st course..corn soup...good. Another 45 minute wait for main course. $29 tuna dish that was tasteless. 3 people ordered the tuna and all agreed that it was a bad dish. Also one portion had 5 slices and the others had 7, but the fish was so bland that we didn't want more. They comped the one dish that the dinner couldn't eat.
- Where's the cheese?gumboVIPDined on 9/21/2014Went for the vegetable plate as a main course. The cannelloni filling was very good, but wrapped in a thin packaged dough, nothing like true pasta. But more disappointing was the "eggplant w/parm". It was prepared like a breaded,fried ball..no cheese, greasy puree and tasteless. Tomato sauce was scarce, thick and tasteless. I guess if you go for something without meat, they figure you also want something without taste. My wife's pork was ten times better. The octopus salad was very tender and tasty. Great combination.
- LOVE, LOVE, LOVEOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014We have been to Spoon two times so far and it is, without a doubt, my husband's and my favorite restaurant of all time! The food is AMAZING, creative and beyond delicious! Our server, Adam, was very professional and hospitable and our mixed drinks were perfectly prepared. Valet makes it a breeze for only $3. Spoon with its chef and staff are fabulous! Thank you, Spoon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it's all about JeanetteiriniDined on 9/13/2014excellent cocktails, innovative yet simply prepared great ingredients= a wonderful meal. The game changer however was Jeanette, what an experience. attentive, without hovering, more character than insincere fake interest in us. can't fully explain but we will definitely ask for her on our next visit. MAJOR LESSON FOR ALL RESTAURANTS-SERVICE DOES COUNT!Special Features:
- Special Event - Special ExperiencedinerenaDined on 9/12/2014Spoon delivered on every count - from reception, service, sommelier guidance, exquisite food, ambiance. I've dined at Spoon several times and the restaurant consistently provides an outstanding dining experience. We ordered steak tartare, fois gras (guilty as charged but delicious), and quail. Each dish succulent and wonderful and presented beautifully. Since I indicated on the reservation that it was my birthday, I received the bonus birthday dessert which is always a nice touch. Dining out frequently, I enthusiastically say that Spoon is among my top choices for consistently exciting food, professional and courteous service and overall memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!ETDTGDined on 9/12/2014One of the best restaurants we have ever visited! The heirloom salad - amazing! Everything was great - the soufflé, the braised beef - they make their vermouths in-house - try them. They also make their own gin. They use local producers. Loved everything - can't wait to get back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An overall great placeloveNewRestaurantsDined on 9/10/2014This was my first trip to Spoon. It's a very nice place inside and they have a few tables outside. We sat outside. The service is very formal so if that's your thing then you'll love it here! They make their own Gin. They have a sommelier on staff. The dishes are different and unique. I would recommend this place but it is not a jeans and t-shirt type of place. Fair warning. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could NOT have been better!BryandjenDined on 9/6/2014What a great night! Food was incredible (quail), atmosphere was relaxed and experience was a pleasure. It was our 17th wedding anniversary and a special little token at the end was appreciated and memorable! Thank you Spoon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great JobOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/30/2014Great meal and the tomato water and basil sorbet was AMAZING and very creative highlights!Special Features:
- Delicious!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014Delicious food, great presentation, friendly waiter, and best bread basket I have ever had! I will be back to Spoon very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not gluten free friendlyLovegoodfoodVIPDined on 8/30/2014If you can eat everything (that is, you have no allergies) this is a great place - great food and great presentation. But if you are gluten intolerant go elsewhere. The waiter was not trained to check with the kitchen accurately and report back to me so I could make appropriate choices. There were only 3 items on each side of the menu I could eat. They were not willing (according to the waiter) to substitute something I could not eat with something that I could; only willing to eliminate one thing in a dish that I could not eat. I love good food; this restaurant was a favorite of mine until I became gluten intolerant. Other upscale restaurants in Pittsburgh do a better job dealing with gluten intolerance. I will just go there from now on.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!HappygoluckyDined on 8/30/2014Through opentable I made a special request (not specifying what) but they followed it exactly and helped me make my date extremely happy. They are always eager to please and I'm really happy that I chose spoon. Definitely come here for a special occasion or to impress, because their bread basket and desserts are to die for! This place is absolutely amazing - recommended for all! Kudos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10yrweddinganniversaryDined on 8/29/2014We went here for our 10 year wedding anniversary. The food and service was beyond outstanding! They were able to accommodate several dietary restrictions for my wife without a problem. I would recommend this restaurant for anyone visiting the area. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great food, Good for business mealsBozemanMikeVIPDined on 8/25/2014Took my boss out to Spoon while he was in town. He raved about the Fois Gras topped prime burger and the service. We had a nice quiet table and were able to talk in normal voices. Big change from a lot of places we visit. The inexpensive and convenient valet parking makes this a go to place for a well valued meal, but with innovative and enjoyable cuisine. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatlebeukVIPDined on 8/24/2014We always love the food at Spoon. The braised rabbit pepperadelle was outstanding, as was the pork tenderloin.Special Features:
- Just sayingOnewhodinesDined on 8/23/2014Loved the veggie entree. All at our table were pleased with their meals.Special Features:
- Amazing!JoshBHRDined on 8/22/2014Couldn't have had a better date that night. Incredible service / amazing food / couldn't have picked a better place to go. Would highly recommend Spoon to anyone and everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a business dinnerBobby1960Dined on 8/21/2014Met a client for dinner at spoon. From the minute we walked in the door the service was fabulous. Started with there heirloom salad which I could not get enough of and ended with the filet mignon which melted in my mouth. Bottom line is I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mbergerartVIPDined on 8/19/2014Have eaten there many times but this was the best meal ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningJayDeeVIPDined on 8/19/2014Came here work a work colleague after a long, exhausting day. Enjoyed a relaxing, slow paced evening. The food was wonderful and the staff so attentive (without being over bearing).Special Features:
- ServicemissingpghDined on 8/17/2014Everyone loved their food and had a great time. One of my companions noted in the car afterward that it was the best service he had ever received.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.