Splash Seafood Bar and Grill
303 Locust St.
Des Moines, IA 50309Neighborhood:
Downtown Des Moines
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Splash Seafood Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.splash-seafood.com/
- Phone: 5152445686
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Dominic Iannarelli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Mike Holms 515-244-5686
A word from Splash Seafood Bar and Grill
DiRoNA award winning Splash Seafood Bar & Grill serves only the freshest seafood flown in daily and expertly prepared in both traditional and contemporary styles. Splash Seafood bar and Grill also serve the Midwest's finest cuts of steaks and chops with the same care as they give the seafood. Be pampered by the highly experienced wait staff in one of Des Moines most unique and elegant dining rooms surrounded by whimsical wall murals as well as 9 large salt water aquariums. Splash Seafood offers an extensive wine list, recognized with an Award of Excellence by Wine Spectator, as well as a full bar specializing in tropical drinks. Also enjoy a more laid back atmosphere in the raw bar, Splash Oyster Bar & Seafood Market, just across the hallway from Splash Seafood. Enjoy all the fresh oysters and shellfish that the raw bar has to offer as well as the full menu from Splash Seafood. Also be sure to take advantage of the raw bars Seafood Market to enjoy the freshest seafood at home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Splash Seafood Bar and Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown Des Moines ›
Splash Seafood Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)romantic (75)fit for foodies (64)notable wine list (60)good for groups (27)neighborhood gem (18)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (8)great for lunch (7)scenic view (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Perfect complement to Civic Center4BroadwaySeriesDinersDined on 9/21/2014We were so delighted that Splash was open on Sunday evenings for the Phantom of the Opera performances at the Civic Center. We had reservations for 4:45 and were easily able to dine and cross the street in time for the 6:30 performance. We treated our son and daughter-in-law and they loved the experience and the delicious seafood. I'm not a seafood fan, so I enjoyed the filet mignon immensely. Loved the Splash salad and the mashed sweet potatoes and the creamed corn were fabulous! Our server was very knowledgeable and cordial as well. We are planning to be back soon! Thanks so much to the staff for giving up their Sunday evening to makes ours so special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect evening!24dinnerDined on 9/20/2014We chose Splash because of its location near the Civic Center and because we love seafood. We were not disappointed! The food was fabulous, and we were able to enjoy a leisurely supper before heading to the theatre. We will definitely do this again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodJVR111Dined on 9/20/2014We choose this restaurant every time we stay in DesMoines. We love the great service and the delicious seafood.Special Features:
- Excellent Dinner SpotRahondaDined on 9/20/2014Went to dinner with hubby and another couple before Phantom of the Opera. We had plenty of time to enjoy appetizers, a fabulous seafood dinner and even share a small dessert before we left for the show. Also had wine throughout the dinner. Everything we ate was truly magnificent - loved it all! Prices were quite reasonable considering that they are bringing in the seafood daily a considerable distance - we enjoyed it was a special treat!Special Features:
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Lobster and salmon were cooked perfectly. Service was very good. Waiter was attentive without being intrusive. Extensive wine list. Pricey but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great for a special treat!foodgeek2Dined on 9/13/2014Splash never disappoints! Treated my 15 year-old son to dinner after a performance at our local civic center. He also enjoyed the experience. The staff is gracious and helpful. Our waiter made excellent recommendations. Wonderful meals!Special Features:
- Inaheartbeat1Dined on 9/12/2014The spaces are well designed, warm, yet cosmopolitan.This is a very nice setting, plan for 90 minutes at least, you won't want to rush. Everyone in our group of 6 was happy with the quality of the food and service. We appreciated that there is not a corking fee. We were a bit surprised that with a group of six, a 20% tip was added to each of our bills. We would have given more of a tip had that amount not been included as an expectation on the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must place to dineRandyDined on 9/11/2014Another great meal with a nice surprise before meal treat. We were seated immediately upon arrival. The service was quick and friendly. The chef sent out a little surprise before meal treat. The food was prepared perfect.Special Features:
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014I've eaten at Slash many times and I do have to say this was the least impressed I have been. I do realize there was a big show across the street that most of the customers were probably attending, but I felt it was just average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/10/2014Great for a night before a show at the Civic Center, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go downtown to eat here. Nothing so outstanding or unique that I can't find at other restaurants closer to where I live.Special Features:
- Except for the profanity...DSMdinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014We've eaten at Splash many times, and enjoy the food and unique atmosphere with the fish tanks, etc. The food we had during our last visit was fantastic - I had the scallops and my wife had chicken - and our guests also enjoyed their entrees. We started with the "Iowa Platter" of meats and cheeses, which was a great deal for the price. Unfortunately, there was a down-side to our visit. We arrived about 45 minutes early, on purpose. We were meeting some friends and wanted to have some time to visit in the bar before we were seated for dinner. There was a manager-type behind the bar who was completely rude to his employees, literally yelling at them in front of patrons about not having enough glassware. He used profanity many times.Special Features:
- Super Slow - 3rd Choice WineAllcowDined on 9/6/2014Had booked dinner months in advance with note that we'd need to attend an 8 PM event at the Wells Fargo Arena - affirmed it again when we checked in and with the waitress. Ever response was - no problem. We ended up with no dessert, no coffee, and running from restaurant to the concert and missed the first song. While wine list was extensive, first selection came back 15 minutes later, not available, second selection came back 10 minutes later, not available - ended up taking whatever they had and it was not something we'd ever order again. Food - when it arrived was very good. Atmosphere with fish tanks was special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before ConcertOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Great Service and wonderful seafood, had to sit in Oyster Bar and would have rather been in nicer area but otherwise very good overall!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageIowapetDined on 9/6/2014We were there before a concert so we loved the location. We liked the decor and ambience but it smelled unusual, but we chalked it up to it being a fish place. Two of the people in our party had outstanding entrees but two of us got the sashimi tuna upon the recommendation of our server and we were really disappointed in it. Maybe just a bad night for that dish. Our martinis were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something has changed!SplashDined on 9/5/2014We have been visiting Splash at least once per year for at least 6 years and sadly we're were very disappointed on 9-5-2014. Every visit my wife orders the sea scallops but this time they seemed to be not fresh and over cooked. I ordered steak and lobster and the lobster tail was undercooked. We will not be back and the prices are higher now. $60 for an 8 ounce fillet and lobster tail is a bit much for the quality. Too bad it has changed, it was our favorite seafood place.
- FoodforFunDined on 8/30/2014My guest and I had a very pleasant dining experience at SPLASH on Saturday August 30th. The food was quite good even though I thought the eggplant was much too dry. The only problem we had was the fact that the Server inadvertantly charged us for a food item we did not order. I had to bring this to his attention. When I did, he quickly corrected the mistake.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Although having heard of and knowing of "Splash" for many years, I have to sorrowfully admit to having never patronized this establishment. After dining there on Friday evening, you can be assured that my wife and myself will be repeat patrons. Everything that would be expected in a dining experience was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy atmosphereDan701Dined on 8/28/2014My husband and I both had the filet and lobster tail. They were outstanding. We started with crab cakes. I have to say, they were not the best I've ever had but not the worst. They seemed a bit bland. We finished our meal with my husband having the crème brulee and I had the raspberry sorbet. The brulee...I had a taste....was incredible. However, the sorbet was like eating a snow cone. It was crumbly and tasted like flavored ice chips. I definitely want to go back again but I will need to try a different appetizer and dessert selection. The waitress was amazing. She was very attentive but didn't hover. The salt water fish tanks are amazing in the restaurant, by the way. Beautiful! Made for a great atmosphere during our evening.Special Features:
- Maybe just what I ordered?DSMdinerVIPDined on 8/22/2014We visited Splash during the Des Moines Restaurant Week. We had looked at the RW menu options online and thought it looked like a nice selection. We dined with a party of 6 and had a nice table on the middle level. Our server was attentive, but certainly didn't push us through the dining process (we were at the restaurant for nearly 4 hours). We enjoyed a couple glasses of wine, and my wife ordered the filet, and I ordered the shrimp ravioli. My wife said her steak was pretty good, and she enjoyed the creamed kale/mushroom veggie option. My entree was underwhelming. The ravioli had semi-hard edges, like they'd been sitting under a heat lamp for a while. The sauce was tasty, but didn't make up for the blase taste of the ravioli.Special Features:
- A go-to restaurantSocalgalDined on 8/21/2014Have dined at splash many times and never disappointed. This is a go-to when we are entertaining out of town guests as well as pre civic center dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect DinnertopfoodDined on 8/21/2014Although this is a seafood specialty place, Everyone in my group ordered the beef tenderloin and we were not disappointed. Be sure to have the "Splash" salad. It's the best house salad in town! We were seated right beside a fish tank and enjoyed watching "Kirby", the puffer fish. This was not my first time at Splash and I've always had delicious food and wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014The service we received was outstanding. Our waitress was so personable. I felt my fish was undercooked and the staff did everything to make it right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!seniorwitchDined on 8/16/2014We had a very nice time and a marvelous dinner. Everything tasted great and the temperature was perfect for the dish as it arrived at our table. Our service was courteous, pleasant and attentive. We recommend Splash to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the best!wishwecoulddothismoreDined on 8/16/2014Splash has always been my go to place for a special occasion. They did not disappoint us for our anniversary. Upon calling to confirm our reservation, we were asked if it was a special occasion. We told them it was our 9th anniversary. We arrived to find our own printed menus that said "Happy 9th Anniversary" with our name. It set the stage for a wonderful evening. The food was amazing. The specials are delicate without being heavy. Make sure to take advantage of Ben to help you select wine or champagne. We brought our wine (no corkage fee) but enjoyed an amazing glass of champagne to conclude our meal. Wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014We always enjoy dining at Splash. Great food, best staff, and service that is second to none!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceHappyClamersForeverDined on 8/14/2014My wife was visiting me from out of town so I started asking around work for a good seafood restaurant. A co work recommended Splash and a few other restaurant's. I went with splash because I enjoyed the menu and I thought my wife would like your food and boy was I right. I also requested some flowers for my wife and was shocked when someone called me to tell me that not only were the flowers not a problem but asked me if I had any certain flowers in mind. So cool.. The food was delicious the service was outstanding. Most importantly we had a beautiful time and my wife was able to take the flowers home with us. Good job Guys.Special Features:
- First time dining at Splash.kproDined on 8/12/2014Very nice experience. The food was excellent and the service top-notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Quality, well-prepared food and friendly but pleasantly formal serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014My wife and I enjoyed the interaction with Clark, our server. Our questions were thoroughly answered. The specials were enthusiastically described. We enjoyed the pacing in which the courses were brought to our table; we never felt rushed. We were seated in the main dining area in the lower level. The aquarium themes complement the dining experience without overpowering it. It was dim, but we could still read the menu without resorting to a flashlight. The diners were primarily middle aged, as are my wife and I. We did not feel out of place. I recommend Splash for an evening weekend meal.Special Features:
- Good food, good serviceFoodie1Dined on 8/2/2014The food was very good and the wait staff was very attentive and seemed to work extremely well together and was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish DiningdsmfoodiewriterDined on 7/26/2014Loved the table we ended up at--right next to the beautiful fish tank. Jamie was a great server and very resourceful. When she didn't know what was in the bacon compound butter and the strawberry sorbet, she went and asked the chef and came back with good answers. I love the fact that you support the local farmer's market and offer fresh produce items with your specials. All of the items we tried were fabulous--even the corn and beet medley that went along with the salmon. I found many of the flavors very intriguing and I loved seeing how you use kale in menu items. We typically don't eat dessert, but the Strawberry Sorbet made with Triple Sec was outstanding! We'll be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The service was great. We took some suggustions from the waitress which ended up being a bad choice for our taste buds.
- past its primeschucrew26Dined on 7/25/2014I've heard about Splash for years and finally got the chance to go. Unfortunately I was really disappointed. The service was terrible, food ok but pricey, and the ambiance was very weird and overpowered by the cheesy late 80's early 90's decorating. When we arrived the hostess showed us to our table for two that unfortunately only had one chair. This was after she had already gone to check if the table was ready for us. Then we sat and sat for 10 minutes before anyone even bothered to bring us water, much less a drink. During this time I counted at least 5 servers and two bartenders walk past us, all kind of slowly going about their business. The food was ok, but certainly not good enough to overcome the rest of the experience.
- Friday nite pleasure...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014First time my male friend had ever been here. He had the tuna; I had sea bass ravioli. They both were excellent! We'll be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!NeeseFamDined on 7/22/2014Our group of 5 received great service and wonderful food! Nice selection on menu! Will definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Great PlaceLuvGr8FindsDined on 7/19/2014We ate there for our anniversary and everything was perfect!! Good was amazing and service was awesome. It cost a pretty penny but the overall experience was worth it. They personalized our menus and decorated the table for us! Awesome place to go for any occasion but better for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 15th anniversay dinnerDjoeDined on 7/17/2014Made reservations at Splash for our 15th anniversary. Put in our reservation note that we were celebrating our 15th anniversary. Splash sat us at a table with some anniversary decorations along with personalized menu with a personalized note at the top. Nice touch along great meal.Special Features:
- Ben & Glen do it again @Splash! DMLuvSplashDined on 7/14/2014From the moment we entered Splash! and were greeted by the host and Ben, the sommelier, we knew we were in for a special anniversary dinner celebration. A wine list for all...by the glass, half bottle or bottle, they have a wine that fits your taste and budget. There were many wine options to choose from for pairing with any of the wonderful dishes on the mene. Glen was very attentive to every detail of service from including bringing Ben to our table to suggestions for appetizer, to answering questions about the entrees, to checking back throughout our dining experience...he was simply the best! The crab cakes appetizer, Sriracha Scallops, Sashimi Tuna and Bavarian Chocolate Mousse were simply amazing! Bravo team Splash!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary experience!MichaelADined on 7/12/2014My wife and I had dinner at Splash to celebrate our first anniversary. It was a great choice of restaurant! Splash prepared a special table for us, complete with confetti and custom menus. We loved the food - we started off with a half-dozen oysters, and then my wife had the swordfish and I had the sea scallops. We finished off the meal with key lime cheesecake. In all, we had a wonderful experience and we are looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningBoilerUpDined on 7/8/2014Excellent service. Great food. Strong winelist with a variety of wines in all price ranges.Special Features: