3300 Airport Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90405Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://spitfiregrill.net/
- Phone: (310) 397-3455
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 7:30am - 3:00pm
Daily: 11:00am - 4:30pm
Daily: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Unspecified
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Having a banquet or Party - Spitfire is affordable and fun. Convenient location, flexible menus, private with outdoor patios / indoor seating and an abundance of parking - Spitfire can customize your event on location or at the restaurant.
- Private Party Facilities: Multiple options for groups from 10 -100. Private conference room for small groups to a full dining area for groups up to 90 guests. For larger groups we have an extended patio space.
- Private Party Contact: John 3103973455x
- Special Events: We offer a 6-course wine tasting/food pairing event once a month featuring many of California's wonderful wineries. Check our Facebook page for details and updates!!
A word from Spitfire Grill
Welcome to the longtime "Local Favorite" dining spot at the Santa Monica Airport. Featuring casual dining built around classic menu favorites such as - Beer Battered Fish & Chips, Cranberry Chicken Marsalla, Homemade Meatloaf, Seafood Pasta, a collection of Burgers with all the choices from Blue Cheese Crumbles to BBQ with an Onion Ring, Melts and a full array of Salads. Open for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner plus special events and conference space - Spitfire Grill is your full service place. We look forward to seeing you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spitfire Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (13)neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (12)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (6)good for groups (6)scenic view (4)fit for foodies (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)special occasion (1)Show More
- SM Airport diningSandyjkVIPDined on 11/11/2014A very pleasant place to have a casual meal and a visit with a friend. Go early for breakfast or lunch and it is relatively quiet. The breakfast menu is filled with delicious choices as is the lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingWestsidedinerDined on 11/9/2014The last time we ate at the Spitfire Grill, about 5 years ago, the food and service were good, and the ambiance was enjoyable. This time was a very different experience. In general, the food was marginal. My wife and I had fish tacos Baja style. The fish was dry. My wife specifically asked if the tacos had cabbage or lettuce. She likes cabbage and loathes lettuce. The waitress assured us it was cabbage. They can heavily covered with lettuce. When we were finally able to locate the waitress, she offered to replace the meal, unfortunately the rest of the party was finished so she offered to replace the meal to go. The to go meal had cabbage but the wrong tortillas and none of the sides. Poor attention to detail, poor service. We won't be back
- Service went above and beyondTan1812Dined on 11/6/2014The food was fantastic, and the happy hour from 4pm-close daily is great! We loved the artichoke dip served with warm crunchy bread, and the turkey burger was one of the best I've had in LA. The service was the best part though. We arrived and promptly realized we'd forgotten our tickets for an event we were attending at the Barker Hangar down the street. We asked if there were anyway they could print them for us, and they didn't hesitate to help. They were super helpful and attentive with an easy-breezy attitude that was refreshing. We loved it there and look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for usLikesGoodFoodDined on 11/2/2014Nice casual atmosphere. Things seemed a bit disorganized when we (a group of 6) came in, but they eventually seated us. Everyone seemed happy with their food and menu offered enough choices at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Well Done!DickDined on 9/25/2014Our party of four enjoyed our lunch at a table on the roomy patio overlooking the beautiful soccer fields. The food selections were plentiful as were the portions. Our food was prepared as ordered and brought to our table in a very timely manner by your very attentive wait staff. We all had a very enjoyable leisurely lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJackVIPDined on 9/17/2014Went for dinner... food was pretty good... no a/c so windows were which made it (barely) OK with the evening breeze, but noisy and smelly (from exhaust) as cars went by (and planes -- it's at SM airport)... service was very bad -- had to get up to get our own condiments for burgers; no-one ever came back to refill drinks... at one point a patron actually left after about 10 minutes because no-one ever came to bring a menu or water.
- They got hit on Sunday nightOCandPSdinerVIPDined on 9/14/2014Have been to the Spitfire many times. However, Sunday after a long trip, we just wanted to get a decent meal quickly. This was the wrong call. The place was paced and the kitchen and servers were way behind. Just hit it at the wrong time.Special Features:
- Santa Monica Airport AdjacentgastronomeVIPDined on 8/20/2014Steeped in airplane lore. Casual, very moderately priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fabulous meal here!socal9rDined on 8/16/2014We made a reservation at the last minute for a party of nine (three children) and were graciously accomodated. We were able to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful summer evening while watching planes take off and land. The appetizers we tried - garlic parmesan french fries, mini steak tacos, and calamari - were divine. The Wedge salad with bleu cheese, bacon and tomatoes was delicious. The entrees were wonderful. Our server was friendly, helpful and spot on with her recommendations. Save room for dessert because you have to try the Chocolate Chip Cookie sundae and the chocolate cake. Every meal we've had here has been fantastic. We can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After the art showSandyjkVIPDined on 8/2/2014Our first visit was a great success! the menu is varied and all dishes were more than adequate and very well prepared. The atmosphere is casual with multiple tv's. It is located at the SM airport and it is fun to drive through.Special Features:
- Great local place ...WestsideGalDined on 7/29/2014Food is great and the patio(s) are terrific - very dog and kid friendly - but the service on the side patio can be spotty at best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 34 reviews are from the Spitfire Grill reviews archive.
- Our go to placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/10/2014We eat at the Spit often. 3-4 times a week, You can never go in and not see someone You know from he neighborhood. It's a very comfortable place to dine with friends and your dogs. Menu is good, and the staff is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchbunchDined on 7/8/2014The wait staff is always friendly and very helpful. It's a good place for our group of women to sit and talk and enjoy lunch together. We never feel rushed; it's always a comfortable and relaxing time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very welcoming after 9pm.UnosixtyDined on 6/29/2014Entreé salads were poor quality for the price. If I pay $15 for a salad I expect better quality.
- EastcoastersEastcoastersDined on 6/25/2014Sketchy service but great recovering in the end. Food was great! Thanks for the parking lot because us Eastcoasters are used to that and don't like parking meters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchSilversirenDined on 6/16/2014I had a lunch for 7 and the help provided all the set ups that were necessary. The staff was very helpful and the food came out rapidly and hot. Everyone in party was satisfied. all Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mehluv2dineDined on 5/4/2014Service is bad, food is nearly adequate. Nothing special, but has a big patio and you can watch planes take off and land.
- Don't botherSofiaVIPDined on 5/2/2014I picked this restaurant for it's great location, across the street from Santa Monica airport. The food is decent, but the service is not. I had to ask for bread 3 times, my burger came without any condiments, and I could not flag down a waiter to bring any. We did not even bother with dessert, it would of taken another hour. It just seems no one cares.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/29/2014Been there many times for their baby back ribs but this time they were very dry (overcooked). I suppose I should have complained or sent them back but they were edible, just not what I received in the past.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfect for the day!MerCysVIPDined on 4/15/2014Had some extra time and extra tired body. This was the perfect spot to pull it together. The staff is upbeat and friendly, the food is fresh and well crafted, and the coffee just made it all come together! As a bonus, I found they had a group meeting room that I will be able to utilize for my team meetings in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Gem for sure...Homecook100VIPDined on 4/4/2014This is our favorite local restaurant. Food is always very good whether its breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Friday they have clam chowder and I think its one of my favorite New England style that I've had.Special Features:
- Fun with friendsplaygoerDined on 3/29/2014Hadn't been to the Spitfire Grille for many years. The food was very good and very reasonable prices. Nice variety on the menu too. Friendly staff, good parking and very convenient if you are going to the Ruskin Theatre.Special Features:
- Great Sunday BreakfastDonnJulieVIPDined on 3/9/2014This is a great place for breakfast. Had a large group, we got an immediate reservation. We were seated on their very pleasant patio. Food was great and service outstanding. We'll be back.Special Features:
- I used the conference roomOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/2/2014I used the conference room for a large group including kids. Food and service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spitfire is a Neighborhood TreasureHomecook100VIPDined on 2/14/2014We went for Valentines Day and had the prefix dinner paired with wines. The food was really excellent and the wines were also top quality. We can always count on this restaurant for breakfast, lunch, oe dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great casual patio diningSudsyDined on 2/9/2014Played 9 at Penmar then drove the 6 blocks to Spitfire. Dining outdoors, no traffic, good food reasonable price, large portions. What more could you want? Have a beer, relax and enjoy the peace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good grub, careless serviceEatieGourmetDined on 2/7/2014There's something eyebrow-raising about a place that lists vodka martinis and margueritas on the menu, but doesn't have a liquor license (the drinks, it turns out, are made with rice wine -- sake, in other words -- because they only have a wine and beer license). When that was explained to me, it was the longest amount of attention I received from the server the whole night. The food is fine for a restaurant at the Santa Monica Airport, whose very existence is in question, and it has more history at the place than any of the more upscale restaurants that are (or were) on the site. Yet while it offers good value for the money, no one's going to write home about it. So go, enjoy it, expect a decent meal, but don't expect anything special.Special Features:
- What a little gem: great food,ShushimDined on 12/2/2013What a little gem: great food, outstanding service, lots of free parking, and very reasonable prices. Thier private room is perfect for groups.Special Features:
- ComedyValerieMilanoDined on 11/10/2013I felt I was in the twilight zone, strange location and a long wait for service. COndensation dripping on me from AC system. Too loud. Long line to get in and tables too close. ClosterphobicSpecial Features:
- Nice surprisesocalnanynanDined on 10/28/2013First time dining at Spitfire and will definitely go back. My friends and I ordered the Salmon Pesto. The plates arrived heaping full of mashed potatoes and generous serving of salmon. I asked for a take away box before I dug in and removed half of the food to have another day. Servings very generous, delicious. One friend ordered the Apple Cobbler dish for dessert. I took a bite and it was delicious! The other friend had the cheesecake, offered me a piece which I was slow to take and before I knew it she had devoured it all. Server was attentive, restaurant is casual, and a definite return date will be planned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood localTamiDined on 10/26/2013We had more people attend our lunch than expected. Spitfire were more than accommodating. Our waitress was very sweet. I would definitely recommend Spitfire to all my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentFoodieDined on 10/20/2013Good food with nice folks. The 'birthday dessert' for my mom was over-the-top wonderful: fresh baked huge cookie with ice cream and whipped cream. Way beyond the typical scoop of ice cream birthday sundae. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spitfire Grill is great place!Homecook100VIPDined on 10/18/2013We've been going here for years and have always found their food and service to be really outstanding. The wine list continues to improve and the draft beer selection is also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Theater DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/17/2013I have read about this restaurant and have never taken the time to dine there. We had tickets to see El Grande de Coca Cola at he Burton theater just down the road, so it was a very convenient location. We sat outside, and surprisingly no noise to speak of from the adjacent Santa Monica Airport. The menu was perfect for a light meal and wine before the show, there was something for everyone in our party of four. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unmemorable eveningopentablevipVIPDined on 8/11/2013Having lived in the neighborhood for 5 years, I only felt it was worth giving Spitfire a chance. One chance gave me no reason to return. The food was disappointing, flavors reminiscent of a high school cafeteria, wine served far too warm and servers who didn't know what was available.
- Eating outsideDiscerningVIPDined on 7/19/2013The patio provides a quiet, lovely atmosphere to enjoy dinner outdoors. The waiter was friendly and easy-going. Everybody from people with pups to kids felt welcome. No pretentiousness. Good food, kind of like poshy diner food and then some.Special Features:
- Excellent service & Lots of extrasNikkiDined on 7/10/2013I was pleasantly surprised by the service, the food and the ambiance. We were rushed for time. The waiter (or owner) was very accommodating, checking in with us a couple of times to make sure we didn't miss our next appointment. There was an ease, attentiveness and way we felt cared for. A bread with artichoke dip on the house for starters & house wine was very pleasant too. I had a half chicken with broccoli and caesar Salad, I tasted the crab cakes. All yummy. Not a real 'view' but the ambiance outside was charming and our UK business associate as very pleased with the WW2 and american history she found on the walls inside before we arrived. ALl in all I would recommend and definitely go back. Glad I found this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre diner Food, good serviceDddddVIPDined on 7/6/2013The food here was a little dissapointing. The beignets had no flavor, the toast was burt, and they cook their smoked salmon. If you grill or fry your salmon, don't call it smoked salmon. If your beignets tast like fried paper, don't serve them or go back to the drawing board on the recepe
- This has to be the best keptdiningoutismymiddlenameVIPDined on 6/8/2013This has to be the best kept secret in all of LA because the food is amazing, the service professional and the crowds absent. LA does not know what it is missing. I have dined here now several times in the evening and the place is nearly empty. Starters recommend the wedge or artichoke dip. Chicken dishes are amazing, love the pecan crusted chicken and the marsala chicken over pasta is enough for 2. Had their campfireless somemore for dessert. Except that I love to roast marshmallows these were downright awesome. Perfect for the table to share. Staff is pleasant and helpful. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Outdoor Santa Monica SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013I've loved this local spot for a long time, but especially now that I have kids. Good food (especially at breakfast) at great prices, especially kids'! Biggest selling point is the ample free parking and large outdoor patio area with an adjacent sectioned off spot where kids can run around with a ball, frisbee, whatever, while the grownups finish their conversation, mimosa, beer or whatever (strictly beer and wine service). Across from the Santa Monica airport so you see (and hear) the planes take off, but it's not too intrusive and that can also be kid friendly. Happy hour menu is really nice! Cozy indoor bar area, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.