6873 North Lake Blvd.
Tahoe Vista, CA 96148Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://spindleshankstahoe.com/
- Phone: 5305462191
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 days a week, closed Christmas Day.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies)
- Catering: On-site catering available.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate your private party and banquet needs for up to 50 people. Please contact us for more information!
- Private Party Contact: Steve Marks 5305462191
- Entertainment: We offer live music almost every week. Please visit our website for a full schedule.
A word from Spindleshanks
Spindleshanks American Bistro and Wine Bar represents the best of both old and new Lake Tahoe. Opened in 2000 by partners Steve Marks and Harman Schuchmann, the restaurant has become a Tahoe Vista institution in a short amount of time. By offering regional American cuisine and a variety of wines in a casual atmosphere, the pair created a dining experience that caters to both large families and couples seeking a romantic evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spindleshanks reviews from OpenTable diners
- RUSTIC & COZYKonagalDined on 3/9/2014One of our local favorites. In the winter, fireplace is on creating an inviting & warm atmosphere. The door stopper salad is consistently fresh and light, half bottles of wine available, the best bread and trout entree is wonderful. The bar is small and festive. Ben was our waiter providing great service and delightful conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Locals hangoutNotTooShabbyDined on 3/8/2014We went on a friend's recommendation, who is a local, so I was expecting great food and good service. I was disappointed that they ran out of mussels early on a Saturday night. I ordered the grouper instead and it was overcooked. I don't think I'll order seafood, if I go back. Service was spotty.
- WAY too loud!craftyoneVIPDined on 2/15/2014Been here before and loved it. But this time we were seated in a back room with a low ceiling. There were 2 large groups already seated and then came another and several other smaller tables. The noise was worse than a rowdy barroom. My husband considered leaving after our salads but we stayed through the entree which we quickly ate (some of) and left. No dessert or coffee for us! This was disappointing as we wanted to have a last hurrah at this location knowing that it is moving from it's historic building which is being razed. So...maybe this is a moot point unless planning to visit within the next month.
- Valentine's DelightJohnnyEatsalotDined on 2/14/2014A delightful evening of delicious food and wine, topnotch service, and romantic ambience from a locals' favorite hotspot. Thanks Spindleshanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleased with the experiencemelovefoodDined on 2/14/2014For a very busy night, everything ran very smoothly and we were attended to as if the only ones in the restaurant. Great food and great wine, cannot complain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valintine's Day funWaltPDined on 2/14/2014The resturant will be moving from this location soon. It was really an enjoyable and somewhat nostalgic evening. As always, food,service and wine were great. Best of all they have a new location identified. So North Tahoe won't be loosing this great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally triedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014I've been driving by for years, found a table and decided to try. Very Tahoe ambiance a bit squeezed. Waiter in old Hawaii shirtI would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKMarkVIPDined on 12/20/2013The food was just OK. My tombo tuna was dry and rather tough. My wife's clam chowder (her entire) was also OK but not exciting. On the other hand, my spinach salad with goat cheese and candied pecans was very well prepared. It was a unique presentation of a traditional dish and I totally enjoyed it. Service was excellent. I brought a bottle if wine from my cellar which turned out to be "corked". Even though they provided the service for the wine, they didn't charge corkage. I thought thus was very considerate. There was live music in the bar (on a Friday evening),but we were too far away to be bothered or enjoy it.Special Features:
- Neat locationrebellion69Dined on 11/15/2013The ambience was pretty cool. We had a late dinner and had no problem being seated right away. The staff was friendly and really made us feel welcome. The sangria was delicious as well as some other wines we tried. The food was the disappointing part of the evening. Prominent over the restaurants web site are pictures of filet mignon & lobster. We arrived looking forward to that but its not offered all the time. In lieu of steak & lobster we settled for oysters on the half shell, flank steak, and a fish dish. The oysters were tasty but rather small for the price. The fish was awesome and the flank steak had a great flavor but the meat was quite tough. All in all, we would go back again and try different entres.Special Features:
- Too bad it is closing.PhilVIPDined on 9/27/2013It was a great restaurant, but the landlord is turning the property into yet more condos and the restaurant is looking for a new home after about October 15, 2013.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- August 2013HappyDinerDined on 8/25/2013Good variety on menu at modest prices. Rustic setting with nice view of Lake Tahoe. Excellent and friendly service from Mark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funny name - Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2013From the exterior to the interior this restaurant fits right into the pines on the north shore of Lake Tahoe. Casual, comfortable, one does not expect the gourmet food prepared. The wine list is extensive and they also offer wine tasting flights. While the menu is small it does provide of variety of meats and fish. Everything was delicious: the mixed green salad was lightly dressed, my husbands southwest corn chowder was perfect; my rainbow trout was out of this world and my husband loved the yellow tail seafood with fresh vegetables that were lightly cooked. We both had desserts and they were accomadating to my husband who wanted only vanilla ice cream on his banana split. Look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waiter trying to cover a lotWINE10SNE1VIPDined on 8/19/2013waiter trying to cover a lot of space on a slow night otherwise service level would probably be higher.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedlxvetteVIPDined on 8/13/2013Been to Spindleshanks many times, a favorite; but the food and service was very disappointed; will take it off our list now.
- Best Brick ChickenNorthshoredaveVIPDined on 8/3/2013I was visiting Lake Tahoe from Chicago so I know food. Everyone at the table felt it was the best chicken we ever had. I wantd to order fish but the waiter said the brick chicken is the way to go. He was absolutely correct. It was fantastic. We also had children with us who had a greatr meal off the kids menu. The service was fantastic and we ate on their beautiful patio. Overall it was probably the best meal we had on our 7 day trip!Special Features:
- Having driven by this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/31/2013Having driven by this restaurant a number of times while on the North Shore of Tahoe, we finally managed to go and eat there. It was definitely worth the wait, the food was great and the service was very good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent, waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/14/2013Food was excellent, waiter friendly, but service was slower than I would have liked.Special Features:
- great flavorsjoelmDined on 7/9/2013Had a wonderful meal of bold flavors. One had the flank steak which was seasoned with southwest flavors and accompanied by a Chile relleno that was to die for. The side really made the meal. I had a NY strip cooked in a unique manner where it was split length wise several times and seared on the flat top. It also had a wonderful bold sauce that complimented the beef very well. Very good wine list. Prices as expected in a resort area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food as always, althoughOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/6/2013Good food as always, although I remember in the past there being a bit more variety on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ed was great!BetsyDined on 7/6/2013We had 5 in our party. All adults. We all had the special which was Chilean sea bass. It was tender and wonderful over mashed potatoes and green beans in the side. Not a lot of food on the plate but I ended up full. I had a glass of the house Cab and it was yummy. Our waiter Ed was very attentive and did a very good job meeting all of our needs. It was crowded that night and a little noisy but all in all we had a very good time and would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4th of July WeekendRoccaVIPDined on 7/5/2013It was unfortunate that the great Schnitzel we ordered was over shadowed by the fact that it took far too long to be severed. We arrived at 7:30 and were promptly seated outside as requested. We did not get our entrees till 9:30. We actually waited a full hour from the completion of our salads till the time the entrees was served. Not a good night for Spindleshanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service & raviolis marginal!PkanterVIPDined on 6/15/2013Service - D- (no enthusiasm from this guy) Raviolis - D (overcooked) Free salad - C (nothing special here) Mussels A - (done just right)
- Axton Band and dining - great FunEZtopleaseDined on 6/8/2013Hoyt Axton's son Matthew has that same great vocal range to super deep tones - Donna Axton played and sang with Hoyt. They are backed up with a great folk singer and a fabulous harmonica that levitates the music to a top level. Food and service were excellent. We started with fried calamari - Chrisp, light, fresh with a tartar that was so perfect we asked for more. Concannon Sauvignon Blanc was perfect compliment and I love their Ceasar salad. Butternut squash ravioli was done just right. A foodie would be happy here, especially if they love good music and know who Hoyt Axton was. We had a rocking great time! Loved our waiter, he was always there when we needed anything. Happy and want to know anytime this band plays here, we will show up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much better than expectedJoelVIPDined on 6/7/2013We were expecting pub food, but it was a lot better than that.
- Terrible service. OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2013Terrible service. Overpriced pedestrian food. Waited 5+minutes before a menu appeared.Should have walked out then.
- Great place to take the family,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/31/2013Great place to take the family, especially if you are on a ski trip on the North side of Lake Tahoe. The prices are excellent and the food is excellent!!!!! The family ate there 2 nights ina row during our stay in Kings Beach....Special Features:
- Excellent meal as usual. GreatKonagalDined on 3/5/2013Excellent meal as usual. Great service. Have our favorite wine Rombour chardenney splits that we rarely find in restaurants.Special Features:
- Not bad, but kind of noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/24/2013Not bad, but kind of noisy inside. Background sound system turned up too high. Also, I felt the food was somewhat overpriced. For example, a 10-12oz ribeye for $32 plus extra for the salad or sides. Food quality was good as was the service. The view was OK. The highway is between the restaurant and the lake. We'll go there again, but won't do so on a regular basis.Special Features:
- Spindleshanks has easy parkingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/22/2013Spindleshanks has easy parking which might be filled up fast though, on busy nights its perhaps the easiest to car pool. Waiting area is small so make sure to have a reservation. Peculiar was that on a walk in basis I was unable to get a seat until an hour later whereas OpenTable was able to get me seated within 30 minutes. The design in the restaurant is very wooden, appealing to the area the hotel is situated in. Rest rooms were clean. Waiters were familiar with the menu and recited the specials without list. I also saw no sign of any child menu and as such ended up with ordering your basic $12 burger for a child. Beer on tap was limited to some main beer brands. The portions were small. The food was very basic in presentation.Special Features:
- Spindleshanks is great!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013I had made the reservation on-line for only 15 minutes after the time I was doing it, since the drive there was only a few minutes from where we were staying. It was quite crowded, lots of folks waiting, but I squeezed my way up to the maitre d, who acknowledged our reservation and seated us promptly. So, kudos to you, Open Table! Great menu! Our dinners were excellently prepared. Great flavors throughout. The warm baked sourdough bread from the Truckee Bakery was outstanding too. The portions were very generous with interesting vegetable sides. We definitely recommend Spindleshanks! The fresh grilled artichoke appetizer w/ tomatoes was outstanding too. Nice real candles in good-sized stained glass votives on every table.Special Features:
- Hit me over the head withfoodiesaredorksVIPDined on 2/19/2013Hit me over the head with the brick chicken. Dee-licious.Special Features:
- Thank You "Open Table"OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2013Great experience to look up "open Table" and locate a restaurant that was available at the time needed. Arrived went in gave our name and were seated immediately. service was attentive and pleasant, food selection and choice were very good. the restraunt was warm and freindly. A full bar and experience help with a selection of wine. Price moderate to high depending what was ordered. We will go back again and recommend to our family and friends......Special Features:
- Diverse menuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013.We were on a mission to take some friends out to a place they had not been before. Spindleshanks does not dissappoint! I love the wine flights, and the cocktails are great too. I love how diverse the menu is. We all split the spinach and iceberg salad, the oysters bienzo, and beef carpaccio. All of us had different proteins for dinner and every dish was fabulous!Special Features:
- I dined at Spindleshanks aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/23/2013I dined at Spindleshanks about 6 years ago and was not impressed at all. Service was horrible and food was just ok. I have now been back twice and in the last 2 months do to a friend's recommendation and my view has changed. The food was very good and this visit the service was great. We did go on a Wed. night late so that helped with service. The time before this I had the fresh dungeness crab cakes, they were to die for! This time I had the brick chicken (I rarely order chicken at restaurant), very plentiful and the Asian slaw and potstickers made such a nice rounded dinner. Keep up the good work, thank you for such a nice meal!
- Consistently greatdinerVIPDined on 1/19/2013Food, service and ambiance are consistently great. We love this restaurant and highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Took a long time for a waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 1/4/2013Took a long time for a waiter to help us. Food was not very flavorful and somewhat cold when served. Took very long for food to be delivered. Won't be going back.
- AlwAys great diningdinerVIPDined on 12/31/2012This restaurant has a cozy wood cabin atmosphere with several fireplaces and a lively bar, where they have happy hour. Food is American with a yummy twist. Restaurant is also kid friendly but all our youngsters (and adults) love the mac and cheese. Our favorite dishes are the Caesar salad, butternut squash ravioli with toasted pecans, trout, steak with stuffed chili relleno, brick chicken with potstickers and asian slaw, and bbq brisket. There are always specials, as well. All entrees are accompanied with some sort of vegetable and starch (like mashed potato, etc. ). Prices are reasonable, portions are huge, food is delicious, wine list is extensive and faairlypriced, ambiance is intimate, and service is super. It is great Tahoe restauranSpecial Features:
- The food was amazing, I didn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/29/2012The food was amazing, I didn't have a bad bite of food during the entire meal. The staff was attentive and friendly. If you are in North Lake, this is a must try!Special Features:
- Gourmet meal in Tahoe VistaOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/9/2012Excellent food, romantic evening, couldn't have asked for more. Our compliments to the chef. Midweek October is low tourist time, but this was our experience. Casual & elegant.Special Features:
- My husband's scampi was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2012My husband's scampi was very good. But, my halibut was overcooked and the clams that came with it were miscrosopic and extremely chewy. My Caprese salad was tasty.My husbands watercress/watermelon salad smelled of mildew. Hopefully, it was just an "off night". We've been in the past and were very pleased.Special Features: