175 Avenue B
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.spinarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2122532250
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 5:30 - 10:00PM
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Joseph Marcus
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For guests looking to host a party for under 50 people, Spina's dining room would be the perfect way to celebrate any occassion.
- Private Party Contact: Salvatore R. Rappo 2122532250
- Special Events: Spina hosts a monthly Mystery Dinner which includes 4 courses paired with 4 wines for $65 including tax and gratuity. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A word from Spina
Spina is a fresh Italian pasta house located in the East Village. Fresh pastas handmade by Blanca Rincon are decadently adorned with sauces and ragus. Small plates focus on Italy's love affair with seafood as well. General Manager Matthew Harrell's wine list goes international and local with some expert selections from traditional wine regions as well as the Finger Lakes located in upstate New York.Continued
Spina's brick walled, cozy dining room contains a fresh pasta bar where guests can watch Blanca prepare fresh pasta throughout their dining experience.
Spina's brick walled, cozy dining room contains a fresh pasta bar where guests can watch Blanca prepare fresh pasta throughout their dining experience.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spina reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (26)notable wine list (12)great for outdoor dining (11)good for groups (11)romantic (8)great for lunch (5)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (3)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014Consistently great food and great service. We've been here close to a dozen times and we always have a great meal and bottle of wine without destroying the wallet. The mussels are a definite must.Special Features:
- favorite alphabet city restaurant5butpriceyVIPDined on 10/1/2014the food is so well prepared and always a bit different than other local italian places, so it always feels 'fresh'. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- DeliciousJoGSDined on 9/28/2014Our family loves this place! Food consistently delicious and beautifully presented. Service is always friendly and great wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Food was excellent, especially the homemade pastas, which were both original and beautifully prepared. But the noise level was comparable to a rock concert at MSG. By the end of the evening, I was losing my voice, although in fairness, we ate there at 7:30 on a Saturday. I'd like to go back when the restaurant might be less crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- M ThomasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014The food's consistent; the service is not. Pastas fresh, portions are just right, and the wine's delicious. Our waiter was slowww. Granted, he looked like the only man working the outside, but with 4 tables, I'm pretty sure he could've hustled a bit more. He also seemed as enthused as a sedated billygoat. We had a lovely crackhead accost us on the street; he drank my friend's water and then stood there. I was a little disappointed that the waiter wasn't more proactive in moving mr meth along. He just kind of muttered, "C'mon maaan." We were expecting a comped glass of wine or maybe an app as an apology. I'm not unreasonable; I know it wasn't the restaurant's fault, but they should be more proactive- toss in some mozz for good measure.Special Features:
- dinnerRupertDined on 8/28/2014great food,nice,spot,could be a real contender. noise level is terrible,when you can;t hear the people you are with, but can hear everyone else in the restaurant,it negates the whole experienceSpecial Features:
- Delicious pastaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Pasta is all made on site. Sauces were delicious. Great salad as well, attentive service.Special Features:
- Guaranteed Great MealElisaDined on 8/21/2014I have now gone to Spina 3 times and have never been disappointed. The food is great, as are the atmosphere and service. We will be returning to Spina again and again!!!Special Features:
- Love Spinacgard3Dined on 8/18/2014Been going here for years and still love it. Fresh pasta and yummy seafood specials and the Monday wine deal. Can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- Get the Bolognese!ellactriciteeDined on 8/8/2014Everything we had was delicious, but the bolognese in particular was mind-blowing. Pasta is the move here, as they make it fresh in-house every day.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2014This restaurant is reliably always great. The food is excellent and staff are always friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014Best mussels ever. All pasta dishes super. Deserves to be on list of best NYC Italian.Special Features:
- fine East Village diningeatinMediaVIPDined on 7/7/2014Spina is a friendly, reliable neighborhood restaurant with a good wine list, excellent pasta and a quiet, relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentakajimDined on 7/5/2014Menu said they had CHOCOLATE SOUFFLÉ. WRONG -- it was Molten Chocolate Cake. We went there SPECIFICALLY because they claimed to serve souffle. It was our anniversary that is the one thing we look for on this special date. Service was adequate if you don't mind having to ask for everything. "May I please have water." "May I please have bread." "May I please see the desert menu." "May I please have cheese." They offered very little without having to request it except the check which came a mere instance after my fork hit the table upon finishing the Molten Chocolate Cake.
- MikeDined on 6/28/2014Spina review: The food was very good, I liked seeing pasta made right in front of me. The wait staff was attentive and good. The only negative was the price was too high, but that sadly is due to the high cost of real estate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 322 reviews are from the Spina reviews archive.
- great neighborhood findhappystuyresidentDined on 6/13/2014We were expecting a simple neighborhood restaurant for a family gathering. Instead we were beyond thrilled with our choice, everyone had a wonderful meal, each was excellent, the prices were good and the wait staff was friendly.Special Features:
- Delicious dinner, but. . . .hate2cookDined on 6/13/2014We arrived on time for a 7:30 reservation, and there were only a couple of other tables with guests. So at first the ambience was lovely and we really enjoyed ourselves. The food was delicious and the patron very attentive. By a little after 8:00, however, the restaurant had filled up and it was much too noisy--bare floor, no soundproofing on the ceiling. We had to shout to have a conversation. We would go back only if we were dining by 5:30 or 6:00.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceannienycDined on 6/7/2014Inside was very noisy so we asked to be seated outside which they very nicely accommodated. Only table available was right opposite the kitchen -- not ideal - but when another table opened up, they moved us promptly. Service was outstanding and the food excellent. Recommend for an above average meal/experience in the East Village.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a FavoriteSpinaFanDined on 5/30/2014We've been to Spina before and always wonder what took us so long to get back. The food is delicious and fresh...this time, the poppy seed ravioli with fresh peas, the roast chicken (to die for), the cavatelli with broccoli rabe and fennel sausage. Everything was great and we had a great and delicious experience.Special Features:
- Great Celebration at SpinaBBBKMVIPDined on 5/21/2014We hosted a celebratory dinner at Spina and Matthew and team did a great job from helping plan the menu to choosing the wines and helping to make the evening special and intimate even though we were out on the town!Special Features:
- A Find in the East VillageBirdGirlVIPDined on 5/17/2014Spina is a great little neighborhood Italian place on the edge of the East Village - exposed brick on the inside, a colorful mural on the outside. Yet the simplicity of the setting was deceptive. The food is far from ordinary - all the pasta is made in house, for example. We started with an artichoke bruschetta made with grilled bread - delicious. I had the malloredus pasta with veal and pork ragu, while my husband enjoyed a perfectly cooked whole branzino. For dessert, we shared an outstanding trio of gelatos. We dined outside at the host's suggestion (he thought it would be quieter), though it didn't seem too loud inside. Service was friendly and helpful. Spina was truly an unexpected treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodAluv2ineDined on 5/16/2014Everything was good. The homemade pasta was nicely made. However, the dish that my friend ordered (with homemade sausage) was too salty, and the mussels that we ordered to share were extremely greasy. The special bruschetta was a bit greasy as well. Spina is a good place to stop by for a casual dinner, but it's not nice enough for special occasions.Special Features:
- Delicious PastaEllenMVIPDined on 5/10/2014I had a birthday dinner here with 5 friends. We each had different pasta dish and they were all fresh & delicious. The mussels were also a must-eat. It's a nice, unpretentious place with really good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/9/2014Great service. Friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable staff. Cosy rustic atmosphere with fresh Italian homestyle food to match. The bruschetta was a winning choice – lovely crispy bread and flavourful topping. The mussels didn’t quite live up to expectations – not sure the bright green, oily sauce worked as the mussels seemed to get lost in it and it wasn’t the sort of sauce to enjoy dipping with bread. The fresh pasta was lovely. The delicious pomordoro sauce really took it up a notch - fresh pasta can sometimes be hit and miss. The portions are just right if you indulge in the bread and appetizers. Fabulous wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but probably wont returnfoodisgoodDined on 5/5/2014the food was not terribly authentic, although it was good. But it was just so so noisy, and the wine list was overly pricey. I feel like there's no compelling reason to return.
- Best Pasta!Lb366VIPDined on 5/2/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants. Hands down the best pasta in the city! The service is great and the ingredients are fresh and perfectly prepared. The atmosphere is quiet and the restaurant isn't too packed. Great experience, very romantic!Special Features:
- Great pasta - needs some energyacouryDined on 4/28/2014I really enjoyed the food, but there wasn't many people in the restaurant when we ate. Is amazing, the service is phenomenal, I just wish there was a little more energy in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, great serviceToscaDined on 4/26/2014Small restaurant, small menu, but the food was delicious and the staff attentive and friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portion ControlHelpfullyDined on 4/26/2014Too much portion control All except the "Calamari Frita" were disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Dining ExperiencescubaroroDined on 4/26/2014We were a party of five. Two had the fish special and 3 had various pastas. We were all very satisfied with the meal. The Fox Run Chardonnay was especially good.Special Features:
- Keeps the Spina name reputableLizSDined on 4/25/2014Went to Spina restaurant with my father and boyfriend for my birthday. Delicious food, great service and not too expensive. Can't imagine it would be a great place to bring a large party because it is somewhat small but a great place for a date!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CorrectPileatedVIPDined on 4/18/2014Good food, good wine, good value. A pleasant experience. Worth a second trip and a third.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome mussel for $5helenainlesDined on 4/18/2014Great deal for lots of mussel The sauce was amazing so i dipped the bread they generously offered into the sauce and finishef the whole dish myself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent neighborhood findHankyPankyDined on 4/5/2014Since the demise of Capucine's it has been difficult to find a walk-to restaurant in the Stuy Town area to replace it. Spina seems to be the one. Every dish we ate in our group of six was delicious from the branzino to several different pastas. But the restaurant is small and popular so a reservation is a must. If you want to have conversation without shouting, I suggest going during the week. We were there on a Saturday night and there was a young, energetic crowd that made the noise level hard to deal with for the three of us in our group who are seniors.Special Features:
- Fantastic!Luv2EatFoodImHungryDined on 4/5/2014This was a great choice. Excellent food, service, and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/31/2014The menu was super. Each of our party of 6 founds the great food we wanted. I recommend Spina for any occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was excellent.BillyLeeDined on 3/27/2014The service was excellent. The food was very tasty. The $5 specials on mussels and meat balls before 8:30 during the week was a real fine. $6 glass of wine cannot be beaten. Definitely a neighborhood find.Special Features:
- Dinner in NYCLeopardPrintDined on 3/20/2014Nice atmosphere. My dinner was a little salty. Pleasant wait staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experiencetablefortwelveDined on 3/14/2014Food is delicious and service is wonderful. Very accommodating for groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but way to loudOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014Best meatballs and outstanding pasta, great salads, I loved the tiramisu The service and was excellent. I had a great window seat. The only problem was it was so loud inside Each table was talking louder then the other table. I had to speak loud just to be heard. Overall Spina's food and service are worth the noise.'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.