Spill the Wine
901 W Lake St
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Spill the Wine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spillthewinempls.com/
- Phone: (612) 339-3388
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast/Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30m - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 2:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 2:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Brian Hauke
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please inquire within, we are always open to discussing your specific needs. We have 6 years of private dining and catering experience.
Please contact email@example.com for more details.
A word from Spill the Wine
Spill the Wine is recently re-located to the Uptown, Lynn Lake neighborhood! Recently voted best wine bar in Minneapolis/St.Paul magazine, we offer a New American small plates inspired menu. Our wine list has a regional focus with over 30 by the glass options and several wine flights to try each month.Continued
Please ask about our wine club during your next visit, 8 free glasses of wine ($25), one per visit!
Please ask about our wine club during your next visit, 8 free glasses of wine ($25), one per visit!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Spill the Wine - Best Restaurants in Lyn-Lake ›
Spill the Wine reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (57)fit for foodies (56)neighborhood gem (43)good for groups (30)special occasion (25)romantic (20)hot spot (13)late-night find (12)great for brunch (9)great for outdoor dining (8)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- No drink? No more!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/21/2014We ventured to Spill the Wine after a frustrating night with a different reservation. Upon arrival Chris was very welcoming and charming! Our night got even better with Karlie (sp?) taking care of us. She had great food and wine recommendations, but it was her spectacular personality that really won us over! Thanks for making us give in to the wine after 21 days!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food!foodiekkDined on 11/12/2014Good food and happy hour. perfect place to go with a group, they have several long tables. Saw a social gathering there as well, so would be a fun option for a work party, especially with the holidays around the corner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu and wine flightsFancyNancyDined on 11/11/2014My sister and I went to Spill the Wine with a voucher from Living Social. We received five small plates and three wine tastings each. In addition, we purchased coffee to complement the final dessert course. The food and wine were delicious but the coffee came in a decanter and was not hot enough. So don't ask for coffee. The server was attentive and good about explaining the various courses. The actual value of the meal was more than we would pay but using the voucher was a great way to get to know the restaurant. My only complaint is that the chairs are metal with low backs and very uncomfortable. Next time I'll ask for a booth on the opposite side.Special Features:
- ExcellentDougVIPDined on 11/9/2014Had Living Social voucher for 5-course tasting menu w wine flights. 1st course was delicious charcuterie/cheese app. 2nd was wonderful butternut squash soup w basil. 3rd was chopped salad w chicken & bacon. 4th course was braised pork in a delectable sauce. 5th course (dessert) was apple crisp w vanilla ice-cream. Every course was scrumptious and beautifully presented by our server, Randy, who was knowledgeable and efficient. A very special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spoteatitupDined on 11/7/2014Get the cheese curds! Great atmosphere for a groupSpecial Features:
- Return of Spill the WineMikeMcDined on 10/31/2014My wife and I have been regulars for many years and for the last several months we have been very disappointed. However, Halloween Night 2014 was different. Everything was excellent. The food's creativity is back, the wine was good and the service (as always) remained great. We did find out that they have a new exec chef which has made all the difference. The blackened kale was excellent, the lobster mac & cheeses was great. Thank you for coming back to what we expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular experiencefoodloverDined on 10/24/2014Upon our first glance into spill the wine from the road, we knew it would be a good evening. High ceilings, glowing incandescent bulbs, bustling clientele all contributed to a welcoming glow from its street corner. Walking in, we were immediately greeted by a friendly host. Carly, our amazing server, followed soon after. She was enthusaistic and friendly and offered helpful but not overbearing tips and explanations on the menu and wine list. We chose the 5 course chef's tasting menu and a wine flight each. The food came family style to share, and the wine complemented each course wonderfully. Each course blew us away with its enticing presentation and delicious taste. We were sad to finish! The service and quality here can't be matched.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nerdgrlDined on 10/23/2014Parking is a nightmare; we ended up three blocks away. We loved the former location and thought its menu much more upscale than the new location. We were there for restaurant week but perused the regular menu; my husband thought there wasn't much in the way of "gourmet" or "OMG, we've got to try this!" The industrial/warehouse building set up is not conducive to talking at a normal level. The volume on the music was way too high as well. We were at a small table and it was hard to hear each other. The food was good and portioned nicely. We particularly liked the meat and cheese starter and the butternut squash soup. We thought the $30/person for 5 courses on the restaurant week menu was a good value.
- Restaurant weekSwrsal15Dined on 10/22/2014A group of us went for dinner during restaurant week. The food was very good but the courses were so spread out that we were there for 3 hours. We all just wanted to leave by the last course. It was unfortunate that they couldn't pace the meal better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant WeekKzabelDined on 10/22/2014This was my first time at Spill the Wine and it was excellent. The server was friendly and energetic. The only downside was it took 3 hours for our meal - granted it was 5 courses, but things seemed to drag a little in between each course. And especially at the end - it could have been a little quicker.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, long waitSpecialKDined on 10/21/2014The food was good, and so was the staff, but they were a bit understaffed. We went on a Tuesday night during restaurant week and ordered two of the 5 course meal specials. It took us 2 hours to get to our 4th course - the main entre - and we had to have our desert boxed to go because we were already 30 minutes late to a meeting. Anyways, ambiance was great, servers were great, some dishes were delicious! and others were just pretty good. Overall, I'd give the place a B-, which would have bounced up to a B+ had it been a little quicker.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014I have been to Spill the Wine a handful of times and it has always been a great experience. I think more recently my experience was better than expected because out server was so wonderful Carly. She helped us with wine choices, and was energetic and very enjoyable server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waitress was VERY knowledgableMMP4SMplsDined on 10/17/2014We bought a 'living social' deal and used it last Friday. We were both really pleased. Each course was good, the first was a meat/cheese plate that was very generous. The 'main' was a braised pork - delicious and the waitress kindly brought more grilled bread to soak up the sauce. I was most impressed with her knowledge of the wines on and off the list (she could make comparisons to anything we asked about). Noise was loud this night due a large group that was getting rowdy, but I don't sense that is normal - all the other tables were social and moderate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehMelly017Dined on 10/10/2014Service was inattentive, food was super slow. All I ordered was fries and it actually never came. They brought out the wrong food. Nice ambiance and decent glass of wine were only redeeming qualities.Special Features:
- ReviewKitkat21Dined on 10/10/2014Very slow service. The kitchen has our dessert order for 20 min before we were told they were sold outI would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDatenightfindsDined on 9/27/2014We tried this restaurant after purchasing a LS deal. The place was empty at 7pm so we thought we would receive great service but we often felt we were a burden to our waiter by asking questions or for suggestions. We had to wait incredulously long between our small plates such as the cheese and meat plate, soup and salad. The other couple we were with had finished their mains before we received our salad. The dishes we received as part of our preset LS deal were nothing special, I could have made each of them better at home! It was their chance to wow us and bring us back to try other dishes. They failed, and we won't be recommending Spill the Wine to others either.Special Features:
- Not the best serviceDeeDeeDined on 9/27/2014Our server seemed very distracted though it was not busy at all. She failed to also tell us that it would take an hour for the chicken to come out. These are things that as a server she should know and warn people to order it right away with the drinks or apps at least. Food and drinks were fine but the service and length of time it took to get things was ridiculous. We won't be back as a result. Music was good. Too bad.Special Features:
- DinnerVKfoodieDined on 9/20/2014Good was good and service was great. We had a group of 9 and enjoyed the experience. The only thing we didn't enjoy was the noise level. Although the restaurant was only half full, the noise was painful. We had trouble hearing eachother from one end if the table to the other. It seems the acoustics in the space are off and there is nothing which absorbs sound. The resulting level of noise was unpleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ultimate wino spotTMLuvsWine1Dined on 9/19/2014Even if your not a professional wino the staff does a great job helping with recommendations. Love the small plates menu. Always super service, consistently impeccable food. And love the wine flights.Special Features:
- Spill the Wine - always interestingJeannetteDined on 9/14/2014Spill the Wine always provides interesting and satisfying menu choices. The food is delicious and nicely presented. Love that chocolate cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So bad, it's sadfatpantsmplsVIPDined on 9/12/2014The only reason I didn't send any of my food items back and demand a refund was due to the fact I had a LivingSocial coupon that was expiring that night. We got to pick 5 small dishes that included: -Carrots: looked like they were prepared by a school cafeteria -Octopus: looked good, tasted like a rubbery tire -Broccoli and Cauliflower: the best of what we had, but still just OKAY dishes -Chicken Gnocchi: looked amazing, tasted like Easy Mac The only plates we finished between 3 people were the vegetables. Literally, took one bite of the octopus and gnocchi and caught a cab to Burch to eat some actual top-notch food.
- AWESOME!LaurieGDined on 9/12/2014We had a living social coupon for a 5 course tasting with a flight of wine. The food was amazing!!! We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Excellent tasting menuDAP1970Dined on 9/9/2014We did the tasting menu as part of a Living Social/Groupon/Crowdcut deal. The food was excellent and service was outstanding. Great meal!Special Features:
- So DissapointedRarelyadatenightDined on 9/6/2014Not so good. Service was extremely inattentive, we were never asked if we were enjoying the food or wine and we were there for over two hours. Food was bland except the salad and the main course, ravioli, was served luke-warm at best. We had been to this restaurant at the downtown location several times and loved it. This didn't feel like the same place at all. We won't be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Our server Tina was wonderful. Everything from the service, to the wine, specialty cocktails, and food was wonderful! We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Awesome wine list, terrible servicenickerbockerDined on 9/5/2014Went here with a girlfriend as we both like to hunt down the wine bars of the Minneapolis area. The food and small plates were of wide range. We decided to go with 1 big plate to share as our service was so horrible we figured it would be the most efficient way to make it more enjoyable. We ordered the lobster risotto and it was awesome! very tasty and definitely enough just for the 2 of us. When we first arrived though we sat down and it took nearly 20 min to get our wine order in. 10 more minutes to get our flight of red we ordered...and the waiter just plopped it on the table and walked away...usually at a wine bar you pay more for the experience and the wine you get. Would have liked to learn a bit about what we were drinking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 course mealOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/5/2014Not sure how this is valued at $115! Started out with two small cups of soup, 2nd course was a small plate of sliced zucchini to share topped with olive oil, shreded cheese and pine nuts. Third course was a shared plate of toast, cold pulled pork, cold tomato sauce and sliced radishes for toppings. Fourth course shared plate of butternut squash ravioli drowning in a cheese sauce. Last course white cake topped with whip cream. I know this is a tasting menu but than the value should be more like half that price! The wine flights were horrible as well. Will never go back unless I'm forced to.
- small portions/priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/4/2014Perhaps its because we were there with a living social deal (5 course meal) but the portions were very small. Of the five portions, 3 are shared which is fine, its just that there was not alot there. The main course was ravioli, but there were only six, very small pieces. Our waitress, although very friendly, did not ask us how our meal was until the fourth course. The zucchini salad was very salty, so much so I chose not to have much of it. The final course dessert came out and it was so small, it was sort of funny. We expect the portions to be smaller on a 5 course meai of course but it was a bit comical how small they were. The taste was good, nothing we would brag about. Not sure we would go back. Maybe just to enjoy some wine.Special Features:
- JohndavidVIPDined on 9/2/2014Wonderful food, great wine, excellent service. The tasting menu is a joy.Special Features:
- Healthy dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Healthy dinner--excellent good! The music was a little loud but overall a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014met friends on a late Saturday afternoon and it was perfect.Special Features:
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014The waitress was helpful when it came to ordering. Not very attentive after; ordered a second glass of wine and after about 15 minutes I had to remind her and it had been sitting at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinnerOldFinnVIPDined on 8/25/2014Love the great choices of small plates, which the four of us each ordered and then agreed on two. Monday night was half-price wine night, and one couple own a winery. We got to use their expertise to select the best value. The octopus was outstanding, and the fries were served very hot with a tasty seasoning. Has a small outdoor patio in the back, and some tables along Bryant.Special Features:
- Tasty BrunchgoodeaterVIPDined on 8/24/2014We enjoyed our brunch. The four flavors of Mimosas were all fun to try - we ordered the bottomless option. Tasty pork belly and kimchi fried rice, and we also tried the burger, which was very good as well. Pleasant, sunny room and attentive server.
- Used to be goodHealthyfoodieDined on 8/23/2014The dinner food has gone downhill. Don't get the squash salad -- it was a plate of raw and poorly seasoned zucchini. Might still be good for brunch.
- Great Date Night Experience, TastySuburbCoupleDined on 8/23/2014I took my wife to Spill The Wine and we enjoyed four of their small plates. Didn't finish them all, but wanted to try them out. We loved the Roasted Broccoli, French Fries, Tomatoes & Ricotta (ordered a few sides of toasted bread for $1 and ate it like brochette) and also the Dilled Cucumbers with onion (not bad, but not that amazing). The service was friendly and at a good pace. We didn't have any drinks and felt we got a lot for $40.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time visitorduotripDined on 8/23/2014Anthony was an outstanding server and definitely knows his wine. If you like to try different wines, this is a definite go-to placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy Hour!MommyDaughtersDined on 8/18/2014My friends and I went for happy hour and loved it! We ordered a bottle of wine and three appetizers to share. It was the perfect amount of food and drink and had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suedsuedVIPDined on 8/17/2014Menu works well for gluten and dairy free diets. Server was quite knowledgeable about their ingredients.Special Features:
- Excellent tasting experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Enjoyed the Living Social tasting experience very much. Food was excellent, unique, and the wine selection was very good. Service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.