Spill the Wine
901 W Lake St
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Spill the Wine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spillthewinempls.com/
- Phone: 6123393388x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast/Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30m - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 2:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 2:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Brian Hauke
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please inquire within, we are always open to discussing your specific needs. We have 6 years of private dining and catering experience.
Please contact email@example.com for more details.
A word from Spill the Wine
Spill the Wine is recently re-located to the Uptown, Lynn Lake neighborhood! Recently voted best wine bar in Minneapolis/St.Paul magazine, we offer a New American small plates inspired menu. Our wine list has a regional focus with over 30 by the glass options and several wine flights to try each month.Continued
Please ask about our wine club during your next visit, 8 free glasses of wine ($25), one per visit!
Please ask about our wine club during your next visit, 8 free glasses of wine ($25), one per visit!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Spill the Wine - Best Restaurants in Lyn-Lake ›
Spill the Wine reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)notable wine list (59)neighborhood gem (48)good for groups (24)special occasion (23)romantic (17)great for outdoor dining (16)hot spot (13)late-night find (12)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (8)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- waitress was VERY knowledgableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2014We bought a 'living social' deal and used it last Friday. We were both really pleased. Each course was good, the first was a meat/cheese plate that was very generous. The 'main' was a braised pork - delicious and the waitress kindly brought more grilled bread to soak up the sauce. I was most impressed with her knowledge of the wines on and off the list (she could make comparisons to anything we asked about). Noise was loud this night due a large group that was getting rowdy, but I don't sense that is normal - all the other tables were social and moderate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehMelly017Dined on 10/10/2014Service was inattentive, food was super slow. All I ordered was fries and it actually never came. They brought out the wrong food. Nice ambiance and decent glass of wine were only redeeming qualities.Special Features:
- ReviewKitkat21Dined on 10/10/2014Very slow service. The kitchen has our dessert order for 20 min before we were told they were sold outI would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDatenightfindsDined on 9/27/2014We tried this restaurant after purchasing a LS deal. The place was empty at 7pm so we thought we would receive great service but we often felt we were a burden to our waiter by asking questions or for suggestions. We had to wait incredulously long between our small plates such as the cheese and meat plate, soup and salad. The other couple we were with had finished their mains before we received our salad. The dishes we received as part of our preset LS deal were nothing special, I could have made each of them better at home! It was their chance to wow us and bring us back to try other dishes. They failed, and we won't be recommending Spill the Wine to others either.Special Features:
- Not the best serviceDeeDeeDined on 9/27/2014Our server seemed very distracted though it was not busy at all. She failed to also tell us that it would take an hour for the chicken to come out. These are things that as a server she should know and warn people to order it right away with the drinks or apps at least. Food and drinks were fine but the service and length of time it took to get things was ridiculous. We won't be back as a result. Music was good. Too bad.Special Features:
- DinnerVKfoodieDined on 9/20/2014Good was good and service was great. We had a group of 9 and enjoyed the experience. The only thing we didn't enjoy was the noise level. Although the restaurant was only half full, the noise was painful. We had trouble hearing eachother from one end if the table to the other. It seems the acoustics in the space are off and there is nothing which absorbs sound. The resulting level of noise was unpleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ultimate wino spotTMLuvsWine1Dined on 9/19/2014Even if your not a professional wino the staff does a great job helping with recommendations. Love the small plates menu. Always super service, consistently impeccable food. And love the wine flights.Special Features:
- Spill the Wine - always interestingJeannetteDined on 9/14/2014Spill the Wine always provides interesting and satisfying menu choices. The food is delicious and nicely presented. Love that chocolate cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So bad, it's sadfatpantsmplsVIPDined on 9/12/2014The only reason I didn't send any of my food items back and demand a refund was due to the fact I had a LivingSocial coupon that was expiring that night. We got to pick 5 small dishes that included: -Carrots: looked like they were prepared by a school cafeteria -Octopus: looked good, tasted like a rubbery tire -Broccoli and Cauliflower: the best of what we had, but still just OKAY dishes -Chicken Gnocchi: looked amazing, tasted like Easy Mac The only plates we finished between 3 people were the vegetables. Literally, took one bite of the octopus and gnocchi and caught a cab to Burch to eat some actual top-notch food.
- AWESOME!LaurieGDined on 9/12/2014We had a living social coupon for a 5 course tasting with a flight of wine. The food was amazing!!! We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Excellent tasting menuDAP1970Dined on 9/9/2014We did the tasting menu as part of a Living Social/Groupon/Crowdcut deal. The food was excellent and service was outstanding. Great meal!Special Features:
- So DissapointedRarelyadatenightDined on 9/6/2014Not so good. Service was extremely inattentive, we were never asked if we were enjoying the food or wine and we were there for over two hours. Food was bland except the salad and the main course, ravioli, was served luke-warm at best. We had been to this restaurant at the downtown location several times and loved it. This didn't feel like the same place at all. We won't be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Our server Tina was wonderful. Everything from the service, to the wine, specialty cocktails, and food was wonderful! We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Awesome wine list, terrible servicenickerbockerDined on 9/5/2014Went here with a girlfriend as we both like to hunt down the wine bars of the Minneapolis area. The food and small plates were of wide range. We decided to go with 1 big plate to share as our service was so horrible we figured it would be the most efficient way to make it more enjoyable. We ordered the lobster risotto and it was awesome! very tasty and definitely enough just for the 2 of us. When we first arrived though we sat down and it took nearly 20 min to get our wine order in. 10 more minutes to get our flight of red we ordered...and the waiter just plopped it on the table and walked away...usually at a wine bar you pay more for the experience and the wine you get. Would have liked to learn a bit about what we were drinking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 course mealOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/5/2014Not sure how this is valued at $115! Started out with two small cups of soup, 2nd course was a small plate of sliced zucchini to share topped with olive oil, shreded cheese and pine nuts. Third course was a shared plate of toast, cold pulled pork, cold tomato sauce and sliced radishes for toppings. Fourth course shared plate of butternut squash ravioli drowning in a cheese sauce. Last course white cake topped with whip cream. I know this is a tasting menu but than the value should be more like half that price! The wine flights were horrible as well. Will never go back unless I'm forced to.
- small portions/priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/4/2014Perhaps its because we were there with a living social deal (5 course meal) but the portions were very small. Of the five portions, 3 are shared which is fine, its just that there was not alot there. The main course was ravioli, but there were only six, very small pieces. Our waitress, although very friendly, did not ask us how our meal was until the fourth course. The zucchini salad was very salty, so much so I chose not to have much of it. The final course dessert came out and it was so small, it was sort of funny. We expect the portions to be smaller on a 5 course meai of course but it was a bit comical how small they were. The taste was good, nothing we would brag about. Not sure we would go back. Maybe just to enjoy some wine.Special Features:
- JohndavidVIPDined on 9/2/2014Wonderful food, great wine, excellent service. The tasting menu is a joy.Special Features:
- Healthy dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Healthy dinner--excellent good! The music was a little loud but overall a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014met friends on a late Saturday afternoon and it was perfect.Special Features:
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014The waitress was helpful when it came to ordering. Not very attentive after; ordered a second glass of wine and after about 15 minutes I had to remind her and it had been sitting at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinnerOldFinnVIPDined on 8/25/2014Love the great choices of small plates, which the four of us each ordered and then agreed on two. Monday night was half-price wine night, and one couple own a winery. We got to use their expertise to select the best value. The octopus was outstanding, and the fries were served very hot with a tasty seasoning. Has a small outdoor patio in the back, and some tables along Bryant.Special Features:
- Tasty BrunchgoodeaterVIPDined on 8/24/2014We enjoyed our brunch. The four flavors of Mimosas were all fun to try - we ordered the bottomless option. Tasty pork belly and kimchi fried rice, and we also tried the burger, which was very good as well. Pleasant, sunny room and attentive server.
- Used to be goodHealthyfoodieDined on 8/23/2014The dinner food has gone downhill. Don't get the squash salad -- it was a plate of raw and poorly seasoned zucchini. Might still be good for brunch.
- Great Date Night Experience, TastySuburbCoupleDined on 8/23/2014I took my wife to Spill The Wine and we enjoyed four of their small plates. Didn't finish them all, but wanted to try them out. We loved the Roasted Broccoli, French Fries, Tomatoes & Ricotta (ordered a few sides of toasted bread for $1 and ate it like brochette) and also the Dilled Cucumbers with onion (not bad, but not that amazing). The service was friendly and at a good pace. We didn't have any drinks and felt we got a lot for $40.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time visitorduotripDined on 8/23/2014Anthony was an outstanding server and definitely knows his wine. If you like to try different wines, this is a definite go-to placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy Hour!MommyDaughtersDined on 8/18/2014My friends and I went for happy hour and loved it! We ordered a bottle of wine and three appetizers to share. It was the perfect amount of food and drink and had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suedsuedVIPDined on 8/17/2014Menu works well for gluten and dairy free diets. Server was quite knowledgeable about their ingredients.Special Features:
- Excellent tasting experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Enjoyed the Living Social tasting experience very much. Food was excellent, unique, and the wine selection was very good. Service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine placeRickieVIPDined on 8/14/2014Creative menu and always good. Exceptional service. Brunch menu looks enticing and will plan to return to sample. Ambiance was better in their first place. Chairs snug here. Open feeling - could use some dividers to break up openness and control sound better.Special Features:
- Nice outdoor patioLisaVIPDined on 8/13/2014A lovely meal under a canopy of white lights on the cozy patio outside. (only 5 or so two person tables) Our waiter was fabulous and checked on us frequently. Had to leave when a few tables of gentlemen lit up their stogies but we were almost done anyway...Special Features:
- Great first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014This was our first time at Spill The Wine and we were celebrating our anniversary. It was not as fancy as we normally how we normally celebrate, but everything was great and it was very relaxing. We split 4 small plates and went home quite full. Our server (I think Deborah), was amazing and allowed us to take our time, as if we were back in Europe. Friendly staff and great food!Special Features:
- Bad food, expensive, slow service.UnhappyGoersDined on 7/25/2014We went here for a date during restaurant week, it was a five course sampler for $30 each. There was enough food for one person to sample, and of the five courses the only thing we liked was the bowl of butter crab soup. Everything else was a miss, we could not finish one of the plates because it left an aweful after taste. Service was extremely slow. Would not return to this place.Special Features:
- healthysourcedfoodDined on 7/25/2014Our early dinner during restaurant week was excellent. The combination of flavors a delightful surprise on our 1st visit here. Corn soup w/crab was memorable; worth a return visit. All courses were great. Sourcing local, antibiotic-free, w/o added hormones meat and organic would be my only suggested improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy Date Nightgreenfishes73Dined on 7/24/2014I had been wanting to check out Spill The Wine for quite awhile, and finally took advantage of Restaurant Week to do so. The food was great, but in very small portions. I am glad we were there for Restaurant Week - as our bill for the two of us was still $97. (and yes, that included drinks, but come on!) :) When we arrived for our reservation at 7:45, the place was packed and very lively. Even though the number of people had died down when we left around 9:30, the place was still rather loud - a group of 8 women in the center of the dining room were enjoying their night - and everyone else in the place got to enjoy it too. Go for the experience. I'm glad we did. But will check out something else for our next date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014The food was great--we visited during restaurant week. The noise level inside was too much for us, couldn't hold a quiet conversation.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeeksveegsDined on 7/24/2014My friend and I decided to try the place during restaurant week. We liked the 5 course menu but the service was marginal. Our waiter was sloppy and seemed to be bored with his job. However, he did make sure my friend's shellfish allergy was noted. When we ordered another bottle of wine from happy hour, the server brought only one fresh glass to taste it and even said to me "you get the fresh glass." My friend replied, "don't I get one?" and he just looked at her and walked away. We both rolled our eyes and said "whatever." We both agreed it was good to try but we won't go back nor recommend to friends.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/23/2014Good food. Limited quantity. Was still hungry after dinner but otherwise everything was great.Special Features:
- ServerLisaDined on 7/23/2014Our server was amazing. She was very upbeat and made the experience more enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week GemDeesAdventureDined on 7/21/2014We decided to give Spill the Wine a try based on their Restaurant Week offering. Never having been there before we weren't sure what to expect. From the moment we entered, the staff, food and atmosphere exceeded our expectations! Our server had an outstanding positive attitude and was well versed in the wine and food offerings. She explained the special menu and offered suggestions for wine parings throughout. The food was well presented and prepared to perfection. The entire experiences was delightful. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good wine & servceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014Our waiter made a spot on recommendation for our wine after giving him an idea of our taste. They don't have a robust menu, so we ended up ordering just a couple of their appetizers, which were outstanding! I would recommend this place to start your evening or possibly end your evening due to their good late night happy hour. If you are looking for a fine linen cloth type of dinner with a diverse menu for entrees, this may not be the best choice although the food is fresh with a good presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.