Spill the Wine
901 W Lake St
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Spill the Wine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spillthewinempls.com/
- Phone: 6123393388x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast/Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30m - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 2:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 2:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Brian Hauke
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please inquire within, we are always open to discussing your specific needs. We have 6 years of private dining and catering experience.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
A word from Spill the Wine
Spill the Wine is recently re-located to the Uptown, Lynn Lake neighborhood! Recently voted best wine bar in Minneapolis/St.Paul magazine, we offer a New American small plates inspired menu. Our wine list has a regional focus with over 30 by the glass options and several wine flights to try each month.Continued
Please ask about our wine club during your next visit, 8 free glasses of wine ($25), one per visit!
Please ask about our wine club during your next visit, 8 free glasses of wine ($25), one per visit!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Spill the Wine - Best Restaurants in Lyn-Lake ›
Spill the Wine reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)notable wine list (50)neighborhood gem (48)good for groups (27)special occasion (23)great for outdoor dining (16)great for lunch (13)hot spot (13)romantic (13)late-night find (12)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Spill the Wine - always interestingJeannetteDined on 9/14/2014Spill the Wine always provides interesting and satisfying menu choices. The food is delicious and nicely presented. Love that chocolate cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So bad, it's sadfatpantsmplsVIPDined on 9/12/2014The only reason I didn't send any of my food items back and demand a refund was due to the fact I had a LivingSocial coupon that was expiring that night. We got to pick 5 small dishes that included: -Carrots: looked like they were prepared by a school cafeteria -Octopus: looked good, tasted like a rubbery tire -Broccoli and Cauliflower: the best of what we had, but still just OKAY dishes -Chicken Gnocchi: looked amazing, tasted like Easy Mac The only plates we finished between 3 people were the vegetables. Literally, took one bite of the octopus and gnocchi and caught a cab to Burch to eat some actual top-notch food.
- AWESOME!LaurieGDined on 9/12/2014We had a living social coupon for a 5 course tasting with a flight of wine. The food was amazing!!! We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Excellent tasting menuDAP1970Dined on 9/9/2014We did the tasting menu as part of a Living Social/Groupon/Crowdcut deal. The food was excellent and service was outstanding. Great meal!Special Features:
- So DissapointedRarelyadatenightDined on 9/6/2014Not so good. Service was extremely inattentive, we were never asked if we were enjoying the food or wine and we were there for over two hours. Food was bland except the salad and the main course, ravioli, was served luke-warm at best. We had been to this restaurant at the downtown location several times and loved it. This didn't feel like the same place at all. We won't be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Our server Tina was wonderful. Everything from the service, to the wine, specialty cocktails, and food was wonderful! We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Awesome wine list, terrible servicenickerbockerDined on 9/5/2014Went here with a girlfriend as we both like to hunt down the wine bars of the Minneapolis area. The food and small plates were of wide range. We decided to go with 1 big plate to share as our service was so horrible we figured it would be the most efficient way to make it more enjoyable. We ordered the lobster risotto and it was awesome! very tasty and definitely enough just for the 2 of us. When we first arrived though we sat down and it took nearly 20 min to get our wine order in. 10 more minutes to get our flight of red we ordered...and the waiter just plopped it on the table and walked away...usually at a wine bar you pay more for the experience and the wine you get. Would have liked to learn a bit about what we were drinking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 course mealOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/5/2014Not sure how this is valued at $115! Started out with two small cups of soup, 2nd course was a small plate of sliced zucchini to share topped with olive oil, shreded cheese and pine nuts. Third course was a shared plate of toast, cold pulled pork, cold tomato sauce and sliced radishes for toppings. Fourth course shared plate of butternut squash ravioli drowning in a cheese sauce. Last course white cake topped with whip cream. I know this is a tasting menu but than the value should be more like half that price! The wine flights were horrible as well. Will never go back unless I'm forced to.
- small portions/priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/4/2014Perhaps its because we were there with a living social deal (5 course meal) but the portions were very small. Of the five portions, 3 are shared which is fine, its just that there was not alot there. The main course was ravioli, but there were only six, very small pieces. Our waitress, although very friendly, did not ask us how our meal was until the fourth course. The zucchini salad was very salty, so much so I chose not to have much of it. The final course dessert came out and it was so small, it was sort of funny. We expect the portions to be smaller on a 5 course meai of course but it was a bit comical how small they were. The taste was good, nothing we would brag about. Not sure we would go back. Maybe just to enjoy some wine.Special Features:
- JohndavidVIPDined on 9/2/2014Wonderful food, great wine, excellent service. The tasting menu is a joy.Special Features:
- Healthy dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Healthy dinner--excellent good! The music was a little loud but overall a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014met friends on a late Saturday afternoon and it was perfect.Special Features:
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014The waitress was helpful when it came to ordering. Not very attentive after; ordered a second glass of wine and after about 15 minutes I had to remind her and it had been sitting at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinnerOldFinnVIPDined on 8/25/2014Love the great choices of small plates, which the four of us each ordered and then agreed on two. Monday night was half-price wine night, and one couple own a winery. We got to use their expertise to select the best value. The octopus was outstanding, and the fries were served very hot with a tasty seasoning. Has a small outdoor patio in the back, and some tables along Bryant.Special Features:
- Tasty BrunchgoodeaterVIPDined on 8/24/2014We enjoyed our brunch. The four flavors of Mimosas were all fun to try - we ordered the bottomless option. Tasty pork belly and kimchi fried rice, and we also tried the burger, which was very good as well. Pleasant, sunny room and attentive server.
- Used to be goodHealthyfoodieDined on 8/23/2014The dinner food has gone downhill. Don't get the squash salad -- it was a plate of raw and poorly seasoned zucchini. Might still be good for brunch.
- Great Date Night Experience, TastySuburbCoupleDined on 8/23/2014I took my wife to Spill The Wine and we enjoyed four of their small plates. Didn't finish them all, but wanted to try them out. We loved the Roasted Broccoli, French Fries, Tomatoes & Ricotta (ordered a few sides of toasted bread for $1 and ate it like brochette) and also the Dilled Cucumbers with onion (not bad, but not that amazing). The service was friendly and at a good pace. We didn't have any drinks and felt we got a lot for $40.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time visitorduotripDined on 8/23/2014Anthony was an outstanding server and definitely knows his wine. If you like to try different wines, this is a definite go-to placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy Hour!MommyDaughtersDined on 8/18/2014My friends and I went for happy hour and loved it! We ordered a bottle of wine and three appetizers to share. It was the perfect amount of food and drink and had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suedsuedVIPDined on 8/17/2014Menu works well for gluten and dairy free diets. Server was quite knowledgeable about their ingredients.Special Features:
- Excellent tasting experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Enjoyed the Living Social tasting experience very much. Food was excellent, unique, and the wine selection was very good. Service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine placeRickieVIPDined on 8/14/2014Creative menu and always good. Exceptional service. Brunch menu looks enticing and will plan to return to sample. Ambiance was better in their first place. Chairs snug here. Open feeling - could use some dividers to break up openness and control sound better.Special Features:
- Nice outdoor patioLisaVIPDined on 8/13/2014A lovely meal under a canopy of white lights on the cozy patio outside. (only 5 or so two person tables) Our waiter was fabulous and checked on us frequently. Had to leave when a few tables of gentlemen lit up their stogies but we were almost done anyway...Special Features:
- Great first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014This was our first time at Spill The Wine and we were celebrating our anniversary. It was not as fancy as we normally how we normally celebrate, but everything was great and it was very relaxing. We split 4 small plates and went home quite full. Our server (I think Deborah), was amazing and allowed us to take our time, as if we were back in Europe. Friendly staff and great food!Special Features:
- Bad food, expensive, slow service.UnhappyGoersDined on 7/25/2014We went here for a date during restaurant week, it was a five course sampler for $30 each. There was enough food for one person to sample, and of the five courses the only thing we liked was the bowl of butter crab soup. Everything else was a miss, we could not finish one of the plates because it left an aweful after taste. Service was extremely slow. Would not return to this place.Special Features:
- healthysourcedfoodDined on 7/25/2014Our early dinner during restaurant week was excellent. The combination of flavors a delightful surprise on our 1st visit here. Corn soup w/crab was memorable; worth a return visit. All courses were great. Sourcing local, antibiotic-free, w/o added hormones meat and organic would be my only suggested improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy Date Nightgreenfishes73Dined on 7/24/2014I had been wanting to check out Spill The Wine for quite awhile, and finally took advantage of Restaurant Week to do so. The food was great, but in very small portions. I am glad we were there for Restaurant Week - as our bill for the two of us was still $97. (and yes, that included drinks, but come on!) :) When we arrived for our reservation at 7:45, the place was packed and very lively. Even though the number of people had died down when we left around 9:30, the place was still rather loud - a group of 8 women in the center of the dining room were enjoying their night - and everyone else in the place got to enjoy it too. Go for the experience. I'm glad we did. But will check out something else for our next date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014The food was great--we visited during restaurant week. The noise level inside was too much for us, couldn't hold a quiet conversation.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeeksveegsDined on 7/24/2014My friend and I decided to try the place during restaurant week. We liked the 5 course menu but the service was marginal. Our waiter was sloppy and seemed to be bored with his job. However, he did make sure my friend's shellfish allergy was noted. When we ordered another bottle of wine from happy hour, the server brought only one fresh glass to taste it and even said to me "you get the fresh glass." My friend replied, "don't I get one?" and he just looked at her and walked away. We both rolled our eyes and said "whatever." We both agreed it was good to try but we won't go back nor recommend to friends.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/23/2014Good food. Limited quantity. Was still hungry after dinner but otherwise everything was great.Special Features:
- ServerLisaDined on 7/23/2014Our server was amazing. She was very upbeat and made the experience more enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week GemDeesAdventureDined on 7/21/2014We decided to give Spill the Wine a try based on their Restaurant Week offering. Never having been there before we weren't sure what to expect. From the moment we entered, the staff, food and atmosphere exceeded our expectations! Our server had an outstanding positive attitude and was well versed in the wine and food offerings. She explained the special menu and offered suggestions for wine parings throughout. The food was well presented and prepared to perfection. The entire experiences was delightful. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good wine & servceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014Our waiter made a spot on recommendation for our wine after giving him an idea of our taste. They don't have a robust menu, so we ended up ordering just a couple of their appetizers, which were outstanding! I would recommend this place to start your evening or possibly end your evening due to their good late night happy hour. If you are looking for a fine linen cloth type of dinner with a diverse menu for entrees, this may not be the best choice although the food is fresh with a good presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014We had terrific service and really enjoyed the food. Would definitely come again.Special Features:
- Always a good timewinocoupleDined on 7/14/2014Early dinner, important date, Spill the Wine is fantastic anytime. Casually celebrated a 3yr relationship anniversary, 1yr moving-to-mpls and 1yr work anniversary in one swoop. StW was fantastic as always. Great food, great wine, attentive staff that you don't feel intimidated asking questions to. Left full of foodie food and buzzing on S. African flights. Can't wait to head back!Special Features:
- Great food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/10/2014We waited over 30 minutes between ordering drinks and being served/putting in our dinner order. Might've been our specific waitress, but I was not impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food - a little spendyDAP1970Dined on 7/9/2014The food was excellent but a little spendy. We shared small plates that we very good.Special Features:
- wheres the food?tastytastyDined on 7/9/2014I'm sorry , but I paid at least $18 for the scallops.. well, take the s off the end of that because I think i got about 1 scallop. it was raw, and sliced very finely.. spread over the plate with a finely chopped relish. it was delicious. but for the price I would expect a bit more than one lousy scallop! maybe there were actually two.. but they were so thinly sliced that one is more likely. The waitress brought out the food "as it came up: she said. so ... everything sort of "dribbled out " to us and the bread came last. the other two got their meal about 5 minutes before i got mine.
- Great food, but small portionsuptowndownDined on 7/6/2014Order the mahi-mahi plate for two, and I could've easily eaten the entire thing and then ordered another one and ate that as well, maybe even a third and I am not a big person at all. Ordered a couple smaller plates of fries and cheese curd truffles which were both delicious! In fact, aside from my previous statement everything else was great, and all of the food was really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Poor ServiceMelissaGDined on 7/6/2014I see why the ratings for this place isn't as good as expected. I really enjoyed the food. We ordered 4 or 5 small plates to share and it was perfect. However, we were 1 of about 4 tables there, with two servers, and my water glass was filled exactly once and that was after 10 minutes of it sitting empty and me flagging down someone. Such a bummer.Special Features: