Spike Africa's Fresh Fish Grill & Bar
411 Broadway Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Spike Africa's Fresh Fish Grill & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spikeafricas.com/
- Phone: (619) 795-3800
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Friday: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am - 11:00 pm
Sunday: 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Spike Africa's Fresh Fish Grill & Bar
Spike Africa …”President of the Pacific Ocean” was the last of the great schooner boat captains sailing out of the West Coast. He learned to sail by shipping out on the “K.V. Kruse”, a five masted schooner freighting lumber from Seattle to Alaska. Spike is best known for his adventurous voyage with the actor Sterling Hayden and their families ending in Tahiti in 1958, and chronicled in Hayden’s classic sea novel “The Wanderer”. As a “Seabee” Lieutenant in WWII Spike fought in the bloody battle of Peleliu Island as depicted in the HBO mini-series “Pacific”. A part time novice actor, Spike appeared in the film “Cinderella Liberty”. He was a legend in virtually every West Coast Port known as a free spirited “last of the breed” sailor. Thank you for coming in today and please enjoy some great food and drink in Spike’s honor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spike Africa's Fresh Fish Grill & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (21)good for groups (20)neighborhood gem (20)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (13)great for outdoor dining (12)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (6)special occasion (5)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Fabulous Food, fabulous restuarantazaardvark2kDined on 11/19/2014Being greeted the manager was a nice touch. The food was absolutely fabulous. The quality of the fish was superb. The ceviche was an unexpected mix with guacamole who's flavors were wonderfully balanced by the spicy chips. The flat iron steak was done to perfection and the fries were the most crispy I have ever had. Definitely a place to take friends, family and associates if you want great food and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEARVIPDined on 11/16/2014What a wonderful surprise. We all had excellent fish and our friend said it was the best fish and chips he ever had. The mango lemonade was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun AtmosphereWineLoverDined on 11/15/2014A group of my friends and I went here before a show were saw at the Civic Theater. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The food and drinks were great! Would highly recommend this restaurant if going downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Butterscotch pudding!DenengdengNYCDined on 11/14/2014I went here 3 times while in town for a week. The food is great, had the scallops and was very happy. Fantastic happy hour deal with some of the best Margaritas I've had and $1 oysters! However, two of the times were strictly for Butterscotch pudding!Special Features:
- Nice spotDcycleDined on 11/8/2014We forget about this place but have been very pleased each time we go. We shared the roasted Brussel Sprouts (with bacon and golden raisins) and they absolutely fantastic. My wife had the Fish and Chips (which they make with Mahi-Mahi) and the fish was very moist with a perfect beer batter crust. She opted for the home made BBQ Potato Chips over the fries. I had the Beer Braised Mussels that were perfectly cooked and I had a side of fries. Well worth the trip downtown.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/8/2014Very friendly. Very accomodatig as inasked for special seating and they provided! Convenient pre-show. Would stick to fresh fish and salads.Special Features:
- Fun PlacetensdavidDined on 10/18/2014Our first visit to Spike's Africa, great ceviche, their version of oysters Rockefeller was good. The mussels and clams were great, as was their salad nicoise. Their vanilla lemon drop (not the name on the menu, but basically what it tasted like) specialty cocktail was delicious. Their wine selection was pretty good, and fairly reasonable. But, the butterscotch pudding dessert was the most amazing thing we had! It's worth going there just for that amazing dessert! :) All in all, a really fun, good meal. Ah! The live guitar music by Jorge Camberos was really, really great! If you love some live Santana jazz guitar, go catch Jorge when he's there. Kudos too, to our server Wren. :)Special Features:
- Good FoodJasmineODined on 10/3/2014Went for dinner before Blue Man Group, great location 2 blocks from Civic Theater. Happy hour prices great and good food.Special Features:
- Delicious FishJDRobinDined on 10/1/2014My friend and I went to Spike Africa's before the theater, and the servers were very accommodating in terms of keeping track of our time. We had two great dishes - a fresh fish dish and the scallops with bacon and Brussels sprouts. Yum!! Both dishes were delicious. Our first course of ceviche served with guacamole was fabulous. The garlic bread was great - lots of big baked garlic cloves on the bread. My only complaint was that the noise level was so high that my friend and I had trouble hearing one another. The tables have no table cloths, and the surfaces in the restaurant are all hard surfaces - so the noise is amplified. Overall, I would recommend the restaurant - best Brussels Sprouts I have ever had.Special Features:
- Confusion to StartSeenitalldinerDined on 9/28/2014We had made a reservation through Open Table and checked in a few minutes early, advising them of our reservation (we later got a "no show" from Open Table). The restaurant was almost empty but the hostess seemed extremely flustered, did ask if we wanted to wait for a booth and asked us to wait in the bar while our table was being cleaned up. Soon a long line started to form at the door. She disappeared and next a male host "confronted". Very disorganized which is not what you want when you want to have a relaxing dinner before you go to a concert. Our waitress worked hard to get us out of there and the food was great. They just need to coordinate and be more professional with check in, it's an imporant part of the experience.Special Features:
- Great service; food not impressivebrunchchicVIPDined on 9/27/2014The service was phenomenal, but the food was mediocre. I ordered shrimp lettuce cups and my husband ordered the clam chowder and the cod, and all were lacking in flavor. The cod was just a hunk of fish on the plate (for $35), and the side choices did not pair well with the fish. We actually both left hungry and unsatisfied. Might go back to hang at the bar and grab a drink or two, as the bar scene seemed fun, but wouldn't recommend this restaurant for the food.
- Funny Name-serious foodJDinerVIPDined on 9/27/2014Saw Spike A's on KUSI and thought we would give it a shot during SDRW. So glad we did. Yummy Ceviche with homemade chips with an amazing lime bite to them. The Mago BBQ Mahi Mahi melted in my mouth and was a lovely contrast of sweet & tangy. The shrimp & bacon mac & cheese was so rich & tasty that we would love to see it in an appetizer portion! The Chocolate Profiteroles with the PButter ice cream was so sinfully good that we could have eaten two. The Butterscotch pudding at first only sounded good because of the salted carmel, but it was so yummy and nicely served in the mason jar. Service was spot on.Special Features:
- Great MenuBreezeVIPDined on 9/27/2014We enjoyed the San Diego Restaurant Week menu. With 3 people at our table and each ordering something different, we got a great taste of many of Spike's specialties.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So fresh sea foodSdJodyDined on 9/27/2014Friendly staff... GREAT, fresh, tasty seafood. Best fish n chips in San Diego! Cervich was delish & unusual pairing of mango salsa with barbecue sauce made the perfectly prepared Mahi awsesome. Have been here 3x & will definitely be back. Don't leave without trying the butterscotch pudding.... OMG... It should be illegal.Special Features:
- terrible servicemdmjwVIPDined on 9/26/2014We came during restaurant week. The bar was packed, and we waited 10+ minutes to get a drink order from the bartender, and then another 10+ minutes to get the drinks. We had a reservation, but again had to wait 15 minutes for the table. Once at our table, service was very slow. The first time we ate at the restaurant, I had really enjoyed the food, but we ate at the bar, which was virtually empty. I had the mahi special, and it was sort of odd with a heavy barbecue sauce, which seems to be an odd thing to put on fish - it completely covers the seafood flavor. I really did enjoy the butterscotch pudding, otherwise, I can't really recommend the restaurant based on food and service.
- loved itZAMBIDined on 9/26/2014Note. .house alcohol is premium. .had we known we wouldn't have dropped 86 bucks on martinis. ..disappointed in the bartenders for not mentioning this...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafoodsmb29Dined on 9/20/2014We found this place listed as a good place for seafood in San Diego, and have not been disappointed. I'm not even a fish fan! It has a laid-back atmosphere, great cocktails, and fresh fish, so I bring visitors there often.Special Features:
- Fun AtmosphereTommyDined on 9/15/2014It is a lively vibrant place. Hip atmosphere with great food an service. Small outdoor patio area is great for people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spike Africa's begins evening wellOutOftenDined on 9/5/2014We often eat here before going to the Balboa for opera and Mozart concerts--it is festive, deals with groups easily, has a great Happy Hour menu--and Stephanie makes us feel special! We usually get a dozen oysters, clam chowder, a fish taco or two. This time we tried the new HH sliders--very good! The seasonal house wine is always good, and the service is always wonderful. We will be back soon!Special Features:
- Fresh, delicious seafood!SdJodyDined on 8/16/2014Best fish n chips in the city! Server was great!!!Special Features:
- Food and ambiance were lackingATL2SFVIPDined on 8/11/2014Food didn't taste fresh. Ahi Poke was fishy and looked like it had been in a fridge for a while as the color was drab. The restaurant itself also had an unpleasant smell like something was rotting. Server highly recommended garlic bread which was nothing special and didn't taste all that good. Prices were very unreasonable considering the quality and taste of the ingredients. We got there before their happy hour started, but I don't think we'd ever go back even if their prices temporarily went down.Special Features:
- We love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/26/2014The servers here are so awesome, and the fish too!Special Features:
- The following 135 reviews are from the Spike Africa's Fresh Fish Grill & Bar reviews archive.
- Very enjoyableKarenatorVIPDined on 7/20/2014Our first time her, the BF picked it from online reviews because it was walking distance to our hotel. We LOVED it! My BF even had fish, which he usually won't. I had the clam chowder and a selection of raw oysters. He liked their beer selection, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute findFoodieChicDined on 7/19/2014Came here with a large group and was able to make a last minute reservation which was great. I had seen mixed reviews about service, but our experience was good. Despite making the reservations hours before, they accommodated us and ensured we got a good space for our group. Food was just okay. Not sure if it was what we ordered, but the best dishes in our meal were the appetizers. I think this place is more popular for their happy hour. But overall, its clean, nice ambience, casual enough for kids but nice enough for a night out.Special Features:
- gailb1Dined on 7/12/2014we made it in time for happy hour on saturday (ends at 6:30 pm). Our dinner consisted of the mahi tacos, ceviche, beer cheese & black bean dip, and a caesar salad. If you use yelp to check in, you get a free plate of BBQ chips! Great place to bring your kidsSpecial Features:
- Surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2014Spike Africa's was recommended by the concierge at our hotel. We we very surprised by the food! We thought it would be typical bar type food! Spike Africa was our favorite meal during our vacation in San Diego!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal & serviceKimHDined on 7/5/2014We came here after the Giants beat the Padres in extra innings. We knew we were going to be late for our reservation once the game went into extra innings so we called - no problem. They had a great table waiting for us and our server, Jackson, was terrific. The food was very good - mustard glzed salmon was the best, but I did not care for the citrus vinegarette salad dressing - all oil no citrus. We would definitely return!Special Features:
- Great happy hourMarathonManVIPDined on 7/3/2014We enjoyed happy hour beverages and starters with dinner. A great value. This was our second visit to Spike Africa's. We will return on our next trip to SD.Special Features:
- Good restaurantgenselecusDined on 6/30/2014This was a pretty good dining experience. All of the food that we got was good and the prices were alright for the quality of food. The service was pretty good.
- Spectacular from Start to Finish!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2014My wife and I dined here and were amazed!! Although it looks like other chain restaurants named after peppers or days of the week, we had one of the best meals we've ever had. House made BBQ chips - amazing. Dusting of bbq on chips clearly made from potatoes. Salmon burger - sooo good! Came with Gruyere and a jalapeño tartar. Great bun too! Butterscotch Pudding - literally one of the best desserts my wife and I have ever had. I do not use hyperboles or give out this praise often. Coming in a short mason jar type container, about 3/4 is the pudding. This pudding has the consistency closer to creme brûlée in my opinion. The remaining 1/4 is melted caramel with generous sea salt on top. It. Was. AMAZING. Thanks Spike Africa's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OutofTownersDined on 6/21/2014Nice atmosphere. Great food. Friendly staff. Definitely would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Average food. Very noisy pre baseball crowd. Good service. Probably wouldn't go back. Went there for dinner before the theater. Wanted to try something new.
- First time visitKoressaYDined on 6/19/2014We had seen the restaurant in passing, but none of us had ever been in. We decided to take the chance and were glad we did. The grilled scallops were delicious, and the butterscotch pudding was tasty. Our server Chris was friendly and attentive, and when one member of our party asked for her salmon to be cooked a little longer it was handled quickly and without attitude. When asked about certain allergens, if he didn't know, Chris went back into the kitchen to get the information. We had a great time and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Not RecommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/18/2014Cute place. We were hoping to enjoy fresh seafood. Everything we ordered was not cooked or seasoned properly. Fish was overcooked and underseasoned, sized and guacamole were sooo salty. Seems like they had great ingredients but just didn't know what to do with them.
- Best service in Downtown San DiegoRecentDinerVIPDined on 6/15/2014Excellent menu with a variety of fresh fish and seafood, big portions! I recommend grilled versus pan-seared for the fish. The oysters are outstanding. Check in on the Yelp app for a free selected appetizer. Can't beat the service where they go out of the way to make sure you're happy. Chris really knows how to take care of his customers!Special Features:
- Great place to meet friends!OutOftenDined on 6/14/2014We started with a reservation for four, and by the time Saturday rolled around, we had upped it to nine people! Everyone loves the location, the happy hour and regular menu, and the really good service. We even went back at 10 pm for drinks and more appetizers. Love the chowder, hush pups, fish tacos--and the butterscotch pudding. Stephanie and Chris took great care of us. We will probably be back twice more this week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theatre FindOutOftenDined on 6/11/2014Very good Happy Hour snacks and house wine. Regular food is also very good and fair prices, but this is a deal for downtown, especially if you are going to the Balboa Theatre a block away! GVSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good downtown casual dinningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Food was good, the kitchen was slow but both the server and manager stopped by with updates and complementary appetizer so the wait was not painful.Special Features:
- Good but not specialDMiltonVIPDined on 5/31/2014If you are out and about this restaurant will be a good place for fresh seafood in a relatively basic but enjoyable environment. Service was friendly and relatively prompt.Special Features:
- Good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/25/2014First time visit was not disappointed. Service was excellent, dining area active but not too loud and the food was excellent. Poached salmon was cooked perfectly. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.