Spike Africa's Fresh Fish Grill & Bar
411 Broadway Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Spike Africa's Fresh Fish Grill & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spikeafricas.com/
- Phone: 6197953800x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Friday: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am - 11:00 pm
Sunday: 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Spike Africa's Fresh Fish Grill & Bar
Spike Africa …”President of the Pacific Ocean” was the last of the great schooner boat captains sailing out of the West Coast. He learned to sail by shipping out on the “K.V. Kruse”, a five masted schooner freighting lumber from Seattle to Alaska. Spike is best known for his adventurous voyage with the actor Sterling Hayden and their families ending in Tahiti in 1958, and chronicled in Hayden’s classic sea novel “The Wanderer”. As a “Seabee” Lieutenant in WWII Spike fought in the bloody battle of Peleliu Island as depicted in the HBO mini-series “Pacific”. A part time novice actor, Spike appeared in the film “Cinderella Liberty”. He was a legend in virtually every West Coast Port known as a free spirited “last of the breed” sailor. Thank you for coming in today and please enjoy some great food and drink in Spike’s honor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spike Africa's Fresh Fish Grill & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)good for groups (22)neighborhood gem (20)hot spot (13)great for outdoor dining (12)vibrant bar scene (12)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (8)special occasion (7)late-night find (7)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)romantic (1)Show More
- Excellent DinerTomGDined on 11/19/2013The Diner last night was really excellent and the service very friendly! I can recommend this location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For TouristsLocalDinerDined on 11/17/2013Over-priced with little atmosphere. Nothing offered here that can't be found at better places in San Diego.
- Theatre nightMargaretDined on 11/16/2013Dinner was delicious and service was attentive. Atmosphere friendly. No trouble getting to the theatra on time. I would recommend valet parking be available as my guests had to park using another restaurant's valet service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/15/2013Spike Africa is super yummy. It has a great fish dishes and the service was amazing.Special Features:
- More than we expectedCNS1VIPDined on 11/12/2013Great food, service and environment. Highly recommend and look forward to the next time we can go there.Special Features:
- Awesome RestaurantBradVIPDined on 11/2/2013Great Happy Hour spot, $1 oysters. The fish is very fresh and the chef knows what he's doing. The atmosphere is very relaxed and the wait staff are very capable.Special Features:
- Amazing service, even better food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/27/2013The food was so great. My girlfriends and I came for Sunday brunch. The service was great. The have good bloody Mary's and $10 bottomless champagne. Do NOT, and I stress DO NOT leave without trying the butterscotch pudding. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience and tasty foodLumberjackDined on 10/26/2013The excellent service started from the moment I arrived. The wait staff is very friendly and the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will try this place againBreezeVIPDined on 10/19/2013The food was outstanding; but the service was slow and the bill had 3 errors. I don't know if we had a new waiter or what. We ordered cocktails twice and both times had to remind the waiter that we had ordered them. We ordered mussels as an appetizer for 4 people. They were delicious, but only came with 2 slices of bread. We asked for more and got 2 small pieces--then we were surprised to find a $2 charge on the bill ($1 per slice--really???). They didn't have some of the wines on their menu and the waiter could not explain the dishes very well. The salmon was cooked perfectly and the mac n cheese was the best I've ever had. So we will probably try this restaurant again, simply because the food is so good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten Free optionsGlutenfreeDined on 10/19/2013Heading at to a show at the theater and need a place close by and remembered we had eaten at Spike a few months ago and the food was super. I was not gluten free at this time so I did not inspect the menu for it but as of now I have been Gluten free for medical reasons and Spike had A LOT of gluten free options. The fish is amazing fresh caught that day. My boyfriend had the shrimp Mac and Cheese which he said was the best. The only draw back to spike is the noise level the acoustics are horrible we could hardly here each other. I am sure with a acoustic engineer they could rectify this issue. Possibly 3 bartenders would help these guys never stopped and had to neglect the people sitting at the bar.Special Features:
- Sorry ServiceFoodloverDined on 10/13/2013Unfortunately our experience was not the best. The food prparation was quite good but delivery of the food was poor. Our waitress reeked of smoke and delivered each course cold. It was evident she was out back smoking when she should have been picking up her orders and delivering them to the tables in a timely manner. She then argued with us that the food was very hot when it was bearly luke warm. Not the best experience and unfortunate for the very talented chefs.Special Features:
- Fish!clt6156Dined on 10/13/2013Surprisingly hard to find good fish places in San Diego. There are a few and they are mobbed. This is a great one! I especially recommend it for a long lunch while you are on jury duty downtown. Good brunch (mango mimosas!) and great lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- casual - goodmakkapDined on 10/4/2013Went on a Friday evening -was not very crowded when we got there. It's feel is quite casual - sat in the first room. The music volume was a bit too loud for easy conversation with our guest. The bbq chips were a good start, and we enjoyed the mains (bbq rib& yellowtail). The butterscotch panna cotta was great but did not like the coconut habanero covered in chocolate (the mango ice cream that came with it was great though).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fish!24dinnerVIPDined on 10/3/2013We really enjoyed our dinner here. The oysters were very good and the fish was excellent. Sauces were tasty but not overpowering. The service was attentive. This is the place for a great piece of fish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NIce local menu with a fewSmitty78Dined on 10/2/2013NIce local menu with a few unique items, like the awesome smoked fish hushpuppies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okLuLuVIPDined on 9/27/2013but not worth a second trip - too many fab restaurants downtown to visit again.
- Amazingly Fresh Fish!yummmoDined on 9/27/2013I love this place! We ordered Oysters (Cheseapeak Bay), Salmon, Baramundi and Tuna and everything was so fresh tasting and delicious! The sauces (although delisious) we not even needed because the fish was so good! And all of the side options were excellent as well! The Drinks were also extrodinary and unique! The chef comes out with the fresh catches of the day wich was a very nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- got it allHobartDined on 9/21/2013ExperienceThe Menu Attracted Us With Broad Choices Of Great Seafood Options And Inventive American Fare. The Service Was Attentive And Friendly. The Best Measure Of Their Quality For Me Was That When A Mistake Was Made, They Made More Than Good On The Experience For The Group. The Food Was As Good As Expected Too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseFoodFanDined on 9/20/2013Went before a play and was happily surprised at the fresh fish. The owner even brought a whole fish out to show everyone. He clearly is passionate about fish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBQ chips were excellent butaawbDined on 9/20/2013BBQ chips were excellent but onion dip was so so. Shrimp and chips also so so. Plank cedar salmon salad was outstandingSpecial Features:
- Try It!!ReconJonDined on 9/17/2013made our visit on recommendation from a stranger in Vegas the night before. So happy I listened. The staff was super friendly, welcoming and the place is a blast. Lots of energy, fun decor - and great FRESH fish and Oysters The oysters - 41.25 ea at happy hour Bring me another dozen!!Special Features:
- Spike AfricaKatrinkaDined on 9/15/2013Wonderful variety of fresh fish and creative dishes. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchLindaDined on 9/15/2013Inside temp was very cold so we ate on patio. Ordered fish tacos but waitress brought fish & chips. An order of shrimp, bacon with black pepper bisciuts& gravy very disappointing. Lacked flavor and not a typical gravy-- thin with chunks of celery.
- Great service and foodJT123Dined on 9/11/2013The staff, including our waitress, were all very friendly and professional. Our waitress made excellent recommendations and we really enjoyed both our meals. We started with our free basket of chips and dip from the Yelp check in, and shared a cup of chowder. I had the halibut with citrus butter sauce (awesome sauce) with fingerling potatoes. My husband had fish and chips with jalapeno tartar sauce. The only thing I might do differently was the fingerling potatoes. Also, this is a much more moderately priced seafood restaurant than most in the area, with a really cool atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for birthdaysHappydinerDined on 9/10/2013Our office went to there for lunch to celebrate a co-worker's birthday. We received quick and friendly service with a smile and received a complimentary birthday dessert. The food was great and didn't take too long to receive after we ordered it. We are on a one hour lunch and usually in a hurry to get in and out. They managed to do all that quickly and efficiently. We will definitely go again for other birthday lunches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servers were great!Thomturner3636Dined on 9/8/2013We loved the food (don't miss the rockfish and the Mac 'n cheese), and happy hour oysters were also great. These are some if the friendliest servers we've met, and Shane the bartender helped make our visit special. We shall return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went with friendsLizSDined on 9/7/2013The food was great, especially the shark and the Butterscotch rum pudding - unbelievable. The servers were attentive, but messed up a few small things. The manager and chef were visible and checked on us. It's a good place to start a night out, not too dressy, but you don't feel awkward wearing clubby clothes.Special Features:
- Sometimes Yelp gets it rightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2013Large open room with a GREAT energy. Everything from a Bridal Shower to families and couples at 8:00 on a Saturday. We really liked the tableside visit from the manger and head chef parading the whole Yellow Tail catch of the day as they came in off the boat. The entire staff appeared happy to be there and were very attentive without being in our laps. Try the Oyster roast with Pernod. We had grilled Mahi Mahi and seared diver scallops for our main both were cooked perfectly and plated cleanly. I had the home made butterscotch pudding for dessert and debated another for home it was so good! We left at 9:30 and it was still a full house but the manager came outside and stopped to talk to us and make sure we had a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodgalynhDined on 9/6/2013I've dined at Spike Africa's a number of times and it never disappoints. The fish is fresh with lots of wild-caught options. Appetizers are delish. Good wine list and yummy cocktails. Everything is wonderful!!Special Features:
- overall great place.at619Dined on 8/31/2013Great service. Knowledgeable staff. Would definitely order again: mango Mahi mahi and salmon. Would definitely NOT order again: crab hush pups and butterscotch pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic seafoodUrbanMikeDined on 8/24/2013The food was fantastic. The local catch was superb. If you are looking for fresh fish, this is the place. The name initially through me off as I was expecting African cuisine but I am now the wiser regarding the origin of the name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous for FishGrocDined on 8/24/2013This was our first time at this restaurant. We started with the crab hush puppies. Nice & crispy with a red pepper remoulade. I love fish & chips, but am usually disappointed by the tartar sauce. They have a jalapeno tartar sauce along with a regular style. They were both light and delicious. My husband had the halibut with the citrus butter sauce and roasted tomatoes and articoke hearts. He completely enjoyed it. The fish was perfectly done with a light seared crust. We also had the Butterscotch Pudding for dessert. Fabulous. It comes in a glass jar with warm caramel and sea salt on top. Everything we saw coming out to the other tables looked so good. And the service was excellent. Attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:
- Best in Gaslamp!EmilieVIPDined on 8/18/2013We were first afraid to go to any restaurant in the Gaslamp area. However we found this delightful gem and we recommend it to anyone going to San Diego. Thank you for the delicious food (the rockfeller oysters... wow!) and the great service. You should also buy a bag of salt water taffies, you will love it!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurant!Kudra1024Dined on 8/14/2013After getting shut out of 3 places for reservations for 15 people for a last minute birthday dinner, I ran across this place on Open Table. New restaurant, great food, reasonable prices, attentive and accommodating waitstaff and the chef came out to check on us and have the fresh caught local yellowtail give me a birthday kiss. I am so glad I found this place and have already raved about it to several friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bday dinnermojaveDined on 8/13/2013The host was very friendly and helpful. He greeted us with a warm smile and accommodated us on our early reservation arrival. Our server, Atticus, was very knowledgeable about the menu and friendly. He was spot on with the timing with the food courses and other servers were just as friendly and helpful as they passed by our table. The HH tacos were dynamite!!! I believe we had the shrimp and the mahi mahi; each one was loaded with unique flavors. Our main dishes, BBQ Mahi Mahi and Albacore with brown butter sauce were both delicious and packed with vibrant flavors. We did not have dessert but the bartender made an amazing margarita from the cocktail menu. We both had a great time and we will defiantly recommend and return to Spike Africa's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overrated!kb13Dined on 8/13/2013I had high expectations based on reviews. There was nothing exceptional about our experience. The fish was expensive, with bland seasoning or none at all. Worse, it was overcooked. The oysters were OK, not great. The one exception was the mussels, they were very good. We will not go back.
- Fresh, reasonably priced seafoodawfulcatVIPDined on 8/9/2013Spike's is a concept restaurant from same people who foisted the Bubba Gump chain on us. But here but they do a great job with fish and the quality is far superior to Bubba's. Last night's meal included a carnivore and they didn't do a good job cooking his prime rib sandwich but the kitchen fixed it within minutes. Great place in the Gaslamp for fresh, inexpensive seafood. Staff is crackerjack. Try the specials!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cincoCiscoDined on 8/7/2013Excellent food, excellent service, very reasonable prices, and great pudding. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findJoanneDined on 8/5/2013Excellent food and service. The scotch salmon was wonderful and desserts were shared with raves from everyone. Will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm positive we were overcharged,DonQuioteDined on 8/4/2013I'm positive we were overcharged, but because we were leaving to go to the theater, we didn't have time to dispute the bill. We ordered 4 fish and chips ($14/each), 1 house margarita, 1 soda, 1 $4 happy hour beer, and 1 $4.50 strawberry lemonade. We also had a free appetizer by checking in on Foursquare. The bill was $92 before tip. If they didn't calculate it wrong, then this place is amazingly expensive.