Spike Africa's Fresh Fish Grill & Bar
411 Broadway Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Spike Africa's Fresh Fish Grill & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spikeafricas.com/
- Phone: 6197953800x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Friday: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am - 11:00 pm
Sunday: 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Spike Africa's Fresh Fish Grill & Bar
Spike Africa …”President of the Pacific Ocean” was the last of the great schooner boat captains sailing out of the West Coast. He learned to sail by shipping out on the “K.V. Kruse”, a five masted schooner freighting lumber from Seattle to Alaska. Spike is best known for his adventurous voyage with the actor Sterling Hayden and their families ending in Tahiti in 1958, and chronicled in Hayden’s classic sea novel “The Wanderer”. As a “Seabee” Lieutenant in WWII Spike fought in the bloody battle of Peleliu Island as depicted in the HBO mini-series “Pacific”. A part time novice actor, Spike appeared in the film “Cinderella Liberty”. He was a legend in virtually every West Coast Port known as a free spirited “last of the breed” sailor. Thank you for coming in today and please enjoy some great food and drink in Spike’s honor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spike Africa's Fresh Fish Grill & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (28)fit for foodies (25)neighborhood gem (25)vibrant bar scene (17)great for outdoor dining (14)great for lunch (14)hot spot (13)late-night find (12)special occasion (8)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)romantic (2)Show More
- Great service; food not impressivebrunchchicVIPDined on 9/27/2014The service was phenomenal, but the food was mediocre. I ordered shrimp lettuce cups and my husband ordered the clam chowder and the cod, and all were lacking in flavor. The cod was just a hunk of fish on the plate (for $35), and the side choices did not pair well with the fish. We actually both left hungry and unsatisfied. Might go back to hang at the bar and grab a drink or two, as the bar scene seemed fun, but wouldn't recommend this restaurant for the food.
- Funny Name-serious foodJDinerVIPDined on 9/27/2014Saw Spike A's on KUSI and thought we would give it a shot during SDRW. So glad we did. Yummy Ceviche with homemade chips with an amazing lime bite to them. The Mago BBQ Mahi Mahi melted in my mouth and was a lovely contrast of sweet & tangy. The shrimp & bacon mac & cheese was so rich & tasty that we would love to see it in an appetizer portion! The Chocolate Profiteroles with the PButter ice cream was so sinfully good that we could have eaten two. The Butterscotch pudding at first only sounded good because of the salted carmel, but it was so yummy and nicely served in the mason jar. Service was spot on.Special Features:
- Great MenuBreezeVIPDined on 9/27/2014We enjoyed the San Diego Restaurant Week menu. With 3 people at our table and each ordering something different, we got a great taste of many of Spike's specialties.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So fresh sea foodSdJodyDined on 9/27/2014Friendly staff... GREAT, fresh, tasty seafood. Best fish n chips in San Diego! Cervich was delish & unusual pairing of mango salsa with barbecue sauce made the perfectly prepared Mahi awsesome. Have been here 3x & will definitely be back. Don't leave without trying the butterscotch pudding.... OMG... It should be illegal.Special Features:
- loved itZAMBIDined on 9/26/2014Note. .house alcohol is premium. .had we known we wouldn't have dropped 86 bucks on martinis. ..disappointed in the bartenders for not mentioning this...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafoodsmb29Dined on 9/20/2014We found this place listed as a good place for seafood in San Diego, and have not been disappointed. I'm not even a fish fan! It has a laid-back atmosphere, great cocktails, and fresh fish, so I bring visitors there often.Special Features:
- Fun AtmosphereTommyDined on 9/15/2014It is a lively vibrant place. Hip atmosphere with great food an service. Small outdoor patio area is great for people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spike Africa's begins evening wellOutOftenDined on 9/5/2014We often eat here before going to the Balboa for opera and Mozart concerts--it is festive, deals with groups easily, has a great Happy Hour menu--and Stephanie makes us feel special! We usually get a dozen oysters, clam chowder, a fish taco or two. This time we tried the new HH sliders--very good! The seasonal house wine is always good, and the service is always wonderful. We will be back soon!Special Features:
- Fresh, delicious seafood!SdJodyDined on 8/16/2014Best fish n chips in the city! Server was great!!!Special Features:
- Food and ambiance were lackingATL2SFVIPDined on 8/11/2014Food didn't taste fresh. Ahi Poke was fishy and looked like it had been in a fridge for a while as the color was drab. The restaurant itself also had an unpleasant smell like something was rotting. Server highly recommended garlic bread which was nothing special and didn't taste all that good. Prices were very unreasonable considering the quality and taste of the ingredients. We got there before their happy hour started, but I don't think we'd ever go back even if their prices temporarily went down.Special Features:
- We love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/26/2014The servers here are so awesome, and the fish too!Special Features:
- Last minute findFoodieChicDined on 7/19/2014Came here with a large group and was able to make a last minute reservation which was great. I had seen mixed reviews about service, but our experience was good. Despite making the reservations hours before, they accommodated us and ensured we got a good space for our group. Food was just okay. Not sure if it was what we ordered, but the best dishes in our meal were the appetizers. I think this place is more popular for their happy hour. But overall, its clean, nice ambience, casual enough for kids but nice enough for a night out.Special Features:
- gailb1Dined on 7/12/2014we made it in time for happy hour on saturday (ends at 6:30 pm). Our dinner consisted of the mahi tacos, ceviche, beer cheese & black bean dip, and a caesar salad. If you use yelp to check in, you get a free plate of BBQ chips! Great place to bring your kidsSpecial Features:
- Surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2014Spike Africa's was recommended by the concierge at our hotel. We we very surprised by the food! We thought it would be typical bar type food! Spike Africa was our favorite meal during our vacation in San Diego!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal & serviceKimHDined on 7/5/2014We came here after the Giants beat the Padres in extra innings. We knew we were going to be late for our reservation once the game went into extra innings so we called - no problem. They had a great table waiting for us and our server, Jackson, was terrific. The food was very good - mustard glzed salmon was the best, but I did not care for the citrus vinegarette salad dressing - all oil no citrus. We would definitely return!Special Features:
- Great happy hourMarathonManVIPDined on 7/3/2014We enjoyed happy hour beverages and starters with dinner. A great value. This was our second visit to Spike Africa's. We will return on our next trip to SD.Special Features:
- Good restaurantgenselecusDined on 6/30/2014This was a pretty good dining experience. All of the food that we got was good and the prices were alright for the quality of food. The service was pretty good.
- Spectacular from Start to Finish!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2014My wife and I dined here and were amazed!! Although it looks like other chain restaurants named after peppers or days of the week, we had one of the best meals we've ever had. House made BBQ chips - amazing. Dusting of bbq on chips clearly made from potatoes. Salmon burger - sooo good! Came with Gruyere and a jalapeño tartar. Great bun too! Butterscotch Pudding - literally one of the best desserts my wife and I have ever had. I do not use hyperboles or give out this praise often. Coming in a short mason jar type container, about 3/4 is the pudding. This pudding has the consistency closer to creme brûlée in my opinion. The remaining 1/4 is melted caramel with generous sea salt on top. It. Was. AMAZING. Thanks Spike Africa's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OutofTownersDined on 6/21/2014Nice atmosphere. Great food. Friendly staff. Definitely would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Average food. Very noisy pre baseball crowd. Good service. Probably wouldn't go back. Went there for dinner before the theater. Wanted to try something new.
- First time visitKoressaYDined on 6/19/2014We had seen the restaurant in passing, but none of us had ever been in. We decided to take the chance and were glad we did. The grilled scallops were delicious, and the butterscotch pudding was tasty. Our server Chris was friendly and attentive, and when one member of our party asked for her salmon to be cooked a little longer it was handled quickly and without attitude. When asked about certain allergens, if he didn't know, Chris went back into the kitchen to get the information. We had a great time and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Not RecommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/18/2014Cute place. We were hoping to enjoy fresh seafood. Everything we ordered was not cooked or seasoned properly. Fish was overcooked and underseasoned, sized and guacamole were sooo salty. Seems like they had great ingredients but just didn't know what to do with them.
- Best service in Downtown San DiegoRecentDinerVIPDined on 6/15/2014Excellent menu with a variety of fresh fish and seafood, big portions! I recommend grilled versus pan-seared for the fish. The oysters are outstanding. Check in on the Yelp app for a free selected appetizer. Can't beat the service where they go out of the way to make sure you're happy. Chris really knows how to take care of his customers!Special Features:
- Great place to meet friends!OutOftenDined on 6/14/2014We started with a reservation for four, and by the time Saturday rolled around, we had upped it to nine people! Everyone loves the location, the happy hour and regular menu, and the really good service. We even went back at 10 pm for drinks and more appetizers. Love the chowder, hush pups, fish tacos--and the butterscotch pudding. Stephanie and Chris took great care of us. We will probably be back twice more this week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theatre FindOutOftenDined on 6/11/2014Very good Happy Hour snacks and house wine. Regular food is also very good and fair prices, but this is a deal for downtown, especially if you are going to the Balboa Theatre a block away! GVSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good downtown casual dinningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Food was good, the kitchen was slow but both the server and manager stopped by with updates and complementary appetizer so the wait was not painful.Special Features:
- The following 119 reviews are from the Spike Africa's Fresh Fish Grill & Bar reviews archive.
- Good but not specialDMiltonVIPDined on 5/31/2014If you are out and about this restaurant will be a good place for fresh seafood in a relatively basic but enjoyable environment. Service was friendly and relatively prompt.Special Features:
- Good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/25/2014First time visit was not disappointed. Service was excellent, dining area active but not too loud and the food was excellent. Poached salmon was cooked perfectly. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Choice for GaslampBrianVIPDined on 5/24/2014Since I was just with one friend who was going to have drinks while I ate, we opted to sit at the bar. It took the bartender a long time to acknowledge us, give menus and water. After that, the service was fine except that servers kept trying to bring us food that another couple at the bar had ordered. They had moved from one side of us to the other, so that may have been the source of the confusion. The food was decent. I had 6 oysters, which didn't come until after my food, but the manager came over and apologized for that when my food was delivered and said they were just swamped with orders. They were good as were the lettuce cups with poached shrimp, although the lettuce wasn't strong enough to pick up, which was mildly annoying.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FishOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/20/2014I ordered the poached Scottish Salmon and it was delicious! I've yet to try the Salted Caramel Butterscotch pudding, but it sounds awesome!Special Features:
- Great spot!BKniffenDined on 5/11/2014We went here for an early Mothers Day dinner with our young kids. The service was great and they set us up in a good spot for three little kids. The food was the best we had on our weekend trip to San Deigo. It's definitely a place we would go to again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat More Fish-go to Spike Africa'sLuv2dineDined on 5/11/2014Ate here w/the family on Mother's Day. I had the spinach and shrimp omelet, someone else tried the brkfst sandwich & hubby had eggs & potatoes. He was so happy the eggs were cooked how he wanted - does not care for runny egg yolks. We also shared mini sticky buns in the beginning. I would return just for those high calorie treats! Our server (Chris) was attentive as well as the mgr. and the hostess. After our scrumptious meal, I rec'd a parting gift of 2 handmade chocolate truffles. Although we came on a Sunday, parking is always a pain near the Gaslamp area. If you park at Horton Plaza, you will have 3 hours of free prkg (just validate the ticket at one of the machines in the mall).Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Found spike Africa's thanks to the gas lamp plaza suites recommendation. I then recommended it to my parents and they got here first. Both my folks and my wife and I loved spike Africa's. the surf & turf is a must, GREAT STEAK! Try the butterscotch pudding for dessert, it won't dissappoint. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!SDBarbieDined on 5/9/2014I have been to Spike Africa's twice for dinner and three times for lunch and it is consistently good. Dinner on Friday night was particularly wonderful. I had the filet and stuffed lobster. My only complaint is that I ordered the steak medium rare and it came medium, but the flavor was so good I didn't complain. The stuffed lobster was amazing (though I have no idea what else was stuffed in there!) We also ordered appetizers - the ceviche is some of the best I have ever eaten and the bacon/beer mussels - yum! (hey, it's got bacon, right?) My husband's swordfish was tender and cooked perfectly. A great dinner! The waiter (Brian) was a hoot! Thanks.Special Features:
- Great FishAK2797VIPDined on 5/7/2014Went to Spike on a recomendation from a bartender at Barleymash.....and man, he was spot on. Food was amazing, service was on point and the beers were cold.....great dinner and I would go back again for sure.
- Business DinnerTonyBDined on 5/7/2014I was recommended to eat here by one of the local hotels. It was perfect. Located on Broadway & 5th Ave, downtown San Diego, I wanted great fish in a place we could talk and enjoy without the "pomp". It was casual, smart, very friendly, superb food of all types and not over priced. The only drawback is that parking is expensive downtown San Diego, but that is not the fault of the restaurant. I highly recommend it tbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & servicePatschiVIPDined on 4/29/2014Go to Spike Africa for good fresh fish at very reasonable prices. After a poor experience at another restaurant the previous night, it was a pleasure to come to Spike Africa!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Happy HourWisegirlDined on 4/27/2014Went after a matinee at the theater across the street. We were very early and all enjoyed the Happy Hour food/d/rink menu. Margarita must have been 'whisked' past the tequila bottle...but, considering it wasn't even 4:30pm....it was enough. Mussels were delicious....could have been a bit more generous serving....but the taste was wonderful. Fresh farmed from the local Carlsbad mussel farm. Panko shrimp and fries was generous and easy to share. Ceviche was delicious with very spicy tortilla chips. Certainly will recommend it for HH and for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Gaslamp GemBlujewel8353Dined on 4/26/2014Food was outstanding. House made sauces, great coleslaw, all 4 fish dishes at our table were very good. This is how San Diego should be for fresh fish.Special Features:
- Not so good .....GolferGirlVIPDined on 3/28/2014We've tried Spike Africa 3 times and each time, I think it was worse than before! We shared the fish and chips - both lukewarm at best and greasy! Our waitress was very nice but after she took our order, we never saw her! They have runners to deliver the food, which I know is very common, but no one ever stops by your table to see if you need anything or check on the food once its been delivered. Not a good practice at all. Too many good restaurants in the Gaslamp. I think we will take this one off our "go to" list!