1471 2nd Ave
New York, NY 10075Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.spigolonyc.com/
- Phone: 2127441100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joseph D'Angelo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Spigolo
Spigolo is an Italian-inspired restaurant on the Upper East Side of New York City. Opened in January 2005, Spigolo has gained acclaim from both devoted customers and restaurant critics. Influenced by his masterful incorporation of seasonal ingredients, Joseph D'Angelo's menu represents a culinary union of contemporary American cooking and traditional Italian cuisine. Spigolo is known as much for its warm, intimate atmosphere and its welcoming staff devoted to attentive service and genuine hospitality, as it is for its food. Come experience Spigolo for yourself.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spigolo reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)fit for foodies (24)romantic (5)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- as good as beforemarkbDined on 8/22/2014We were fans of the original. First time at the new location. Miss Heather but enjoyed dinner anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very PleasantJervVIPDined on 8/10/2014We arrived and we were the only ones there. The restaurant was empty. Usually this would put us off but we got a nice table almost outdoors. It was quiet and the food and service was great. People came in after. Summer on a Saturday night it seems many people were in the Hamptons.Special Features:
- Lovely EveningsuthersVIPDined on 8/1/2014We went to Spigolo on 76th street after dining years ago in the original one on 81st. The original location we felt had a bit more charm but the food & service were both great in the new location and we will defo return. Wine by the glass is great value, sardines were also deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as old SpigoloGPOPVIPDined on 7/27/2014Where did all the people go? Other than the server, this dinner was an expensive non-event. The salad was good, pasta too sauce, fish ok and corn salad was drowning in sauce overwhelming any flavor from the in season vegetable. All in all, I was disappointed.Special Features:
- Very goodBob1VIPDined on 7/18/2014Usually stick to steakhouses when it comes to getting a steak, but I was particularly hungry for one so ordered here. It was outstanding as was that of my companion.Special Features:
- splendid neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2014Spigolo has always been a favorite and the move slightly downtown to a slightly larger space has not diminished its excellence. The food is innovative without being obvious and precious and is always extremely well executed. Service is friendly and professional and the setting is casual but adult and upscale. It is a great find and well worth a trip if one does not happen to live in the area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/15/2014Solid, dependable Italian food with a good local vibe. Front of the house is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/14/2014I am so glad they moved into my building. Food is great and I love that you may order appetizer sized pasta dishes. Then I can have dessert!Special Features:
- Neighborhood findChappaqua5423VIPDined on 7/7/2014Small but lovely. Great pasta dishes, very flavorful amazing chicken scaparillo -- so spicy my eyes watered -- and divine. Owner was warm and accommodating. Actually pushed another table together when diners had left to give us more room. Will returnSpecial Features:
- Better than everTrufflesDined on 6/20/2014The grouper and monkfish were fabulous. The waitstaff switched our first two courses and brought one that was totally wrong but it was busy about 8 pm on Friday. The burrata should have been a little rounder rather than looking like it had been pounded like a scallopine . Desserts were AMAZING. When I mentioned to the chef that it would have been perfect if they'd only had fiori di zucca, he told me to let him know a couple of days before I come again and he'll get some for me ! Love the new space too. Lighting could be a little better. Definitely a keeperSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveNYCdiningVIPDined on 6/20/2014This is our second time at Spigolo. The food is very good and the service is excellent. The only problem was the noise level, very hard to hear across the table. A great place in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- TraumamdVIPDined on 6/15/2014Great food. Really enjoyed our dinner. Had the chicken scarpiello which was fabulous, portion was a little small but taste great.Special Features:
- Pre-Tony dinnerronnibretDined on 6/8/2014First time we'd been to the new location and even better then the old! We had a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/28/2014Good food and service as was the case in their other location. Now, it is in my building and I am delighted. It's a bit pricey for a neighborhood place so I can't say I will be going often. But, it is great for a special occasion. The room is nice but a bit noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAWDogVIPDined on 5/24/2014This is one of our favorites. New location and space are more convenient and nicer. My only complaint is that Spigolo is too popular! and, no wonder!I would recommend this to a friend.
- frequentdinerVIPDined on 5/3/2014Dynamic, creative chef. The best seasonal cooking. Terrific pastas. The duck and the halibut are delicious with pristinely prepared vegetables to accompany them. The wine list has a wide variety of Italian wines, and the Negroamaro is one of my favorites, having had it all over Puglia, Basilicata and Calabria.Special Features:
- The following 203 reviews are from the Spigolo reviews archive.
- YES!fgrossVIPDined on 4/26/2014BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER!!!!! THIS PLACE RIVALS BABBO WHAT A TREAT!!!!
- timing is/was a little "off"wefamilee6Dined on 4/26/2014We loved the "old" Spigolo, and were excited to try the new location out. We have enjoyed the wine pairing/entrée on a couple of occasions in the past, and went with it this time. In the past, you didn't know what was coming out of the kitchen, which indicated a creativity for fresh "stuff". Now it is broken out by course on the menu, with the wine. The food was good, and subsitutions were made for my non meat eating date, but the timing was off. Wine was served after the plates were served, there was little explanation about why it was choosen, a lack of silverware on one course, etc. Just the timing was off, but food was very good as I said.Special Features:
- great food in upper east sidefrenchieDined on 4/25/2014our first time at this restaurant, excellent food and service, a real gemSpecial Features:
- TonalismVIPDined on 4/25/2014Like many NYC restaurants you'll feel a bit crammed in this place but the service and food are outstanding so go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spot!FoodandfunDined on 4/16/2014We went with another couple for dinner. The food was excellent but the portions are unbelievably small. The grilled octopus app was delicious but there were only two tiny little pieces of octopus on the plate. We kept cutting them up to make it seem like we had more! For the prices that they are charging I feel like you should get a little more food.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food !BernieDined on 4/10/2014This is a real italian Food, is like you were in a Trattoria in FlorenceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Preferred the old location.KaradDined on 4/4/2014Preferred the old location. Lost it's quiet ambiance. still good but expensive for tables that are too Close together and an extremely casual atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On The FenceDebsDined on 4/4/2014My 1st time since the move to 76th. Fell in love with this restaurant when it was on 81st but they changed the menu and I'm not so in love any longer. Service was not that great and although my cavatelli was tasty it was a bit too salty. Like the new space but again, not all that bigger.Special Features:
- A GemAnonymousVIPDined on 4/1/2014Great menu that changes seasonally. The restaurant recently moved to a larger space, which is a little less intimate than the original space. While the ambiance is just ok, the food & service makes up for that. It's a true neighborhood gem that stands out from all the other italian restaurants on the UES.Special Features:
- Really well doneMaureenVIPDined on 3/14/2014Delicious food! Great wine list. Bravo. So happy about the move closer to my apt!!Special Features:
- Excellent Italian inspiredOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/11/2014Excellent Italian inspired food. We sat at the bar this time and had a wonderful meal and really enjoyed speaking about wine with the bartender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New space, same terrific food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 3/11/2014New space, same terrific food! Although Spigolohas a new look and location, it only enhances What already a gravest resaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!greatplaceDined on 3/9/2014We needed a great restaurant on 2nd Ave, below 79th St; we now have Spigolo! Great bar & fabulous food . Everyone works as a team to bring a wonderful dining experience to each table. Looking forward to getting back there very soon. Welcome to the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at Their New LocationJudy10021VIPDined on 3/7/2014They've just changed locations, which is always scary. But they've recreated the same ambiance. The food remains superb. And the service was amazing. Although they were jammed on a Friday night, somehow our wine glasses never got empty before they were refilled. With 10,000 good Italian restaurants on the Upper East Side, this is still my go-to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dining experiencembmbDined on 3/7/2014My husband and I had a special tasting menu and it was innovative, delicious, and very satisfying. The service was also excellent. Spigolo stands out in a crowded field of UES Italian restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were not overwhelmed bystarfoodieVIPDined on 3/7/2014We were not overwhelmed by this new incarnation of Spigolo, which used to be delicious before the old location closed down. While the food is okay, there are better Italian restaurants in the neighborhood at a much better price. They charged $15 for a martini ($11 for the gin and $4 for the "martini"), which I had ordered on the rocks. When I complained, they rolled the price back to $11, saying they thought it was straight up and they charge more for that because there is more gin. I guess I buy their explanation, but, given the very high prices for their food, we won't be going back.
- Really great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/21/2014Really great food and service in their new location. We enjoyed dinner very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingmbmbDined on 2/15/2014I had heard that this restaurant was very good, but I found it to be mediocre. maybe my expectations were too high, but there was nothing to distinguish this Italian restaurant from the many others in the area. The pasta dish I had was nothing special.
- WonderfulCynthiaVIPDined on 2/6/2014Service and food were top notch. Had wanted to try me since they were farther uptown nut now that they're across the street I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- New Larger SpaceAnonymousVIPDined on 1/25/2014The intimacy of Spigolo is somewhat lost in its new space, which is somewhat larger and a bit sterile & cold. But the food has remained consistent and delicious. And the servers are engaging and knowledgeable.Overall, a very nice UES dining experience.
- Wonderful East Side ItalianmarjalagoVIPDined on 1/20/2014In a neighborhood filled with over priced mediocre Italian offshoots of Elaine's Spigolo stands out. Excellent, creative cooking, pleasant service and an unfussy casual vibe,Special Features:
- The new space is very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/16/2014The new space is very nice - at least double in size - and the food was great. Fair warning - it gets quite loud in there when all the closely packed tables are full during the prime dining hours.Special Features:
- Off to a great start for aLoveNYCdiningVIPDined on 1/16/2014Off to a great start for a newly opened restaurant. Food was very good but needs more ambiance.Special Features:
- Excellent food. Tables areOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/11/2014Excellent food. Tables are small, close together, a bit cramped. Very good food, but definitely overpriced. Restaurant neglected to mention that they had recently moved and address in Zagat's was incorrect.I would recommend this to a friend.