1471 2nd Ave
New York, NY 10075Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.spigolonyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 744-1100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joseph D'Angelo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Spigolo
Spigolo is an Italian-inspired restaurant on the Upper East Side of New York City. Opened in January 2005, Spigolo has gained acclaim from both devoted customers and restaurant critics. Influenced by his masterful incorporation of seasonal ingredients, Joseph D'Angelo's menu represents a culinary union of contemporary American cooking and traditional Italian cuisine. Spigolo is known as much for its warm, intimate atmosphere and its welcoming staff devoted to attentive service and genuine hospitality, as it is for its food. Come experience Spigolo for yourself.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spigolo reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)fit for foodies (30)special occasion (10)romantic (7)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/24/2014I greatly enjoyed my meal at Spigolo. The pasta, pappardelle with wild boar, was excellent and my entree, sturgeon, was as well. Our server was helpful and professional, but not at all obtrusive. Our reservation was honored and it is worth noting that the restaurant was full on a Monday night during a holiday week. I would definitely return to Spigolo and I look forward to doing so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulJudy10021VIPDined on 11/24/2014My go-to neighborhood Italian place, in an area full of neighborhood Italian restaurants. You can count on it being wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special neighborhood gemFussydinerDined on 11/15/2014Loved everything about Spigolo. The food was delicious. I had a wonderful citrusy salad, a great lamb shank dinner, and an amazing gingerbread pudding dessert. Everything was cooked to perfection and not too heavy. I would go back in a minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Pasta and Plentiful PortionsSnappedDragonDined on 11/11/2014This was the best dinner I've had in a long time. The pasta was made fresh and it was a noticeable difference. I had the wild boar and it was perfectly prepared. I highly recommend the eggplant meatballs as well as the baked little neck clams. Save room for dessert, the ricotta cheesecake doesn't disappoint. Most of the entrees come in a half portion so there is no excuse to skip dessert. The service is great, friendly and professional. Reservations are highly recommend as this quaint eatery fills up fast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood ItalianRileyVIPDined on 11/7/2014We had a great meal here the other night. The appetizers were excellent the pastas were very good.Special Features:
- What a wonderful surpriseFaiarVIPDined on 11/7/2014This was our second time to Spigolo and it was consistently good We brought another couple who are very critical and they loved their dishes THe branzino and chicken are delicious THe meatless eggplant mealballs are a winner Loved brussel sprouts Delcious dessert Overall great experinceSpecial Features:
- not the best nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2014I have loved this restaurant since it opened years ago. This evening the food was less wonderful than it has consistently been on previous nights. Underseasoned and more meager portions made it less enjoyable than before. Still a wonderful experience but just not up to expected levels. The service was excellent and the small neighborhood feel is always welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/29/2014Spigolo moved a few blocks downtown on Second Avenue this year,and it's moved a lot farther down in quality. Once a reliable purveyor of fine Italian fare, Spigolo served us mediocre pasta at our last visit. The sauces did not mesh. Papardelle with a boar ragu had watery Brussel sprouts mixed in, and the deep, strong taste of boar was lacking. The well-meaning waitress brought the wrong dish, and the maitre d' apologized by not charging us for one glass of wine (which meant deducting about half the price of the pasta). Shoddy all around, a real disappointment.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/24/2014Excellent Italian food, easily at least 2 steps up from a typical neighborhood Italian restaurant. Service is very friendly and accommodating as well.Special Features:
- Warm and DeliciousBuongustaioDined on 10/18/2014Great staff - everything from the accommodating reservationist to the warm welcome at the door, and superbly warm service from an available but not "hovering" server. Food is new Italian (read: Noticeable absence of red sauce on everything.) Readers, don't despair, they kept a red-sauce dish or two. Ingredients are fresh. Fine wine list including by the glass. Firsts and seconds are innovative combinations of tastes and textures that make you wish you could do this at home every night. Having just returned from a few weeks in the Rome area, we especially appreciate Spigolo's successful efforts to keep diners happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noise is deafening2outoftownersDined on 10/9/2014Lovely at first. Good food, good service and OK wine list. Then the place filled up and conversation became impossible. Tables are very close together which contributed to the cacophony.
- A great additionDelishdishVIPDined on 10/1/2014We were warmly welcomed by the hostess upon arrival and quickly shown to our table. All service people were pleasant and efficient. Bread arrived with a delicious olive oil (as opposed to the bitter green stuff many restaurants seem to dole out) along with olives. The menu is small but varied and fairly priced. We had their classic eggplant "meatballs", pasta and a fish main course. All were tasty and well-prepared. This new space is closer to where we live than the old Spigolo and I think we'll soon become regulars.Special Features:
- Super Tastyshap5VIPDined on 9/20/2014We are so lucky to have foodie-friendly restaurant on the Second Avenue row. The restaurant is terrific.Special Features:
- Dining ExperienceJustin717Dined on 9/20/2014Romantic scene in the heart of the UES. Good for date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/17/2014We had a lovely dinner there the other day - the food was so good that we dind't even share with each other.Special Features:
- DisappointingMelissaVIPDined on 9/12/2014We loved the restaurant when it was in its previous location. Quality of food has gone downhill.
- Expensivenycnycnyc2014Dined on 9/10/2014This would be a great neighborhood joint if the prices were so high. The food is very nice but in no way warrants a $30 price tag for an entree.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/4/2014I am so lucky that this great restaurant moved into my building. Food and service consistently good and I love the half portions.Special Features:
- Mediocre UES ItalianVillageDinerVIPDined on 8/31/2014Spigolo has relocated to 2nd Avenue in the mid-70's in a very undistinguished space. The menu is standard Northern Italian cuisine and the dishes we had were passable but not special. We were aggrieved that a plain pasta with tomato sauce, prepared off the menu for our vegan friend, was priced at $27, which is beyond outrageous. Overall, the restaurant is no bargain and since the food is unexceptional there are many better choices for Italian food in that neighborhood.
- as good as beforemarkbDined on 8/22/2014We were fans of the original. First time at the new location. Miss Heather but enjoyed dinner anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very PleasantJervVIPDined on 8/10/2014We arrived and we were the only ones there. The restaurant was empty. Usually this would put us off but we got a nice table almost outdoors. It was quiet and the food and service was great. People came in after. Summer on a Saturday night it seems many people were in the Hamptons.Special Features:
- Lovely EveningsuthersVIPDined on 8/1/2014We went to Spigolo on 76th street after dining years ago in the original one on 81st. The original location we felt had a bit more charm but the food & service were both great in the new location and we will defo return. Wine by the glass is great value, sardines were also deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 217 reviews are from the Spigolo reviews archive.
- Not as good as old SpigoloGPOPVIPDined on 7/27/2014Where did all the people go? Other than the server, this dinner was an expensive non-event. The salad was good, pasta too sauce, fish ok and corn salad was drowning in sauce overwhelming any flavor from the in season vegetable. All in all, I was disappointed.Special Features:
- Very goodBob1VIPDined on 7/18/2014Usually stick to steakhouses when it comes to getting a steak, but I was particularly hungry for one so ordered here. It was outstanding as was that of my companion.Special Features:
- splendid neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2014Spigolo has always been a favorite and the move slightly downtown to a slightly larger space has not diminished its excellence. The food is innovative without being obvious and precious and is always extremely well executed. Service is friendly and professional and the setting is casual but adult and upscale. It is a great find and well worth a trip if one does not happen to live in the area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/15/2014Solid, dependable Italian food with a good local vibe. Front of the house is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/14/2014I am so glad they moved into my building. Food is great and I love that you may order appetizer sized pasta dishes. Then I can have dessert!Special Features:
- Neighborhood findChappaqua5423VIPDined on 7/7/2014Small but lovely. Great pasta dishes, very flavorful amazing chicken scaparillo -- so spicy my eyes watered -- and divine. Owner was warm and accommodating. Actually pushed another table together when diners had left to give us more room. Will returnSpecial Features:
- Better than everTrufflesDined on 6/20/2014The grouper and monkfish were fabulous. The waitstaff switched our first two courses and brought one that was totally wrong but it was busy about 8 pm on Friday. The burrata should have been a little rounder rather than looking like it had been pounded like a scallopine . Desserts were AMAZING. When I mentioned to the chef that it would have been perfect if they'd only had fiori di zucca, he told me to let him know a couple of days before I come again and he'll get some for me ! Love the new space too. Lighting could be a little better. Definitely a keeperSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveNYCdiningVIPDined on 6/20/2014This is our second time at Spigolo. The food is very good and the service is excellent. The only problem was the noise level, very hard to hear across the table. A great place in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- TraumamdVIPDined on 6/15/2014Great food. Really enjoyed our dinner. Had the chicken scarpiello which was fabulous, portion was a little small but taste great.Special Features:
- All around greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/13/2014They moved locations giving them more room and better ambiance. Food never disappoints and menu changes often. one of the best on the UES.Special Features:
- Pre-Tony dinnerronnibretDined on 6/8/2014First time we'd been to the new location and even better then the old! We had a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/28/2014Good food and service as was the case in their other location. Now, it is in my building and I am delighted. It's a bit pricey for a neighborhood place so I can't say I will be going often. But, it is great for a special occasion. The room is nice but a bit noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAWDogVIPDined on 5/24/2014This is one of our favorites. New location and space are more convenient and nicer. My only complaint is that Spigolo is too popular! and, no wonder!I would recommend this to a friend.
- frequentdinerVIPDined on 5/3/2014Dynamic, creative chef. The best seasonal cooking. Terrific pastas. The duck and the halibut are delicious with pristinely prepared vegetables to accompany them. The wine list has a wide variety of Italian wines, and the Negroamaro is one of my favorites, having had it all over Puglia, Basilicata and Calabria.Special Features:
- YES!fgrossVIPDined on 4/26/2014BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER!!!!! THIS PLACE RIVALS BABBO WHAT A TREAT!!!!
- timing is/was a little "off"wefamilee6Dined on 4/26/2014We loved the "old" Spigolo, and were excited to try the new location out. We have enjoyed the wine pairing/entrée on a couple of occasions in the past, and went with it this time. In the past, you didn't know what was coming out of the kitchen, which indicated a creativity for fresh "stuff". Now it is broken out by course on the menu, with the wine. The food was good, and subsitutions were made for my non meat eating date, but the timing was off. Wine was served after the plates were served, there was little explanation about why it was choosen, a lack of silverware on one course, etc. Just the timing was off, but food was very good as I said.Special Features:
- great food in upper east sidefrenchieDined on 4/25/2014our first time at this restaurant, excellent food and service, a real gemSpecial Features:
- TonalismVIPDined on 4/25/2014Like many NYC restaurants you'll feel a bit crammed in this place but the service and food are outstanding so go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.