Spices Asian Restaurant
3333A Connecticut Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Spices Asian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spicesdc.com/
- Phone: 2026863833
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30 am – 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm – 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm – 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Executive Chef: Jessie Yan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Yanyu Catering has earned instant popularity as well as high recommendation from satisfied customers. This aggressive catering team has received high acclaim for bringing restaurant quality home cooking Asian food with excellent service to their catering events.Yanyu Catering provides party planning and event management to meet all your catering needs from weddings, private parties, corporate meals or corporate receptions and events. Got an idea? Yanyu Catering can create a unique environment filled with wonderful stations that reflect numerous themes.
- Private Party Contact: Joyce Lim 2026863832
A word from Spices Asian Restaurant
Established in 1994, Spices Restaurant has won critical and popular acclaim throughout its history for its specialties in traditional home-style and contemporary Asian dishes. Its stylish look with a long blond sushi bar with lilting music and warm service is perfect for entertaining friends and business associates. Guests are invited to enjoy a full Asian-inspired menu of dishes, exquisitely fresh range of new and traditional forms of sushi and sashimi, extensive wine list and specialty cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spices Asian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (7)neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (4)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (1)Show More
- Some of the best sushi in DCHappySushiEaterDined on 6/16/2014To me, sushi is all about the quality of the fish and rice - in that regard, this place is outstanding. After each and every bite I made a "mmm" sound; not just "mmm," but "MMM!" Service is fine and the place itself is nice but the food here is above any other that I've been to in DC. Will definitely be back for dinner sometime soon.Special Features:
- DinnerOutofTownerDined on 6/7/2014A great place to take a friend or significant other for dinner. Also, located in a vibrant neighborhood.
- Good find in Cleveland ParkgivlcaeDined on 5/30/2014Spices is very, very good. I ordered the mee goreng, my girlfriend the red curry. The mee goreng was a departure from the norm for me, and it was well worth it. We both absolutely loved it. The red curry was good, but nothing great. We also had the pan-fried dumplings for an appetizer, and those were excellent. This restaurant has a lot of what I like: cool without being ridiculously trendy, a good number of diners without being crowded or too loud, and reasonable pricesSpecial Features:
- The following 132 reviews are from the Spices Asian Restaurant reviews archive.
- Truly ExcellentProntomacVIPDined on 4/26/2014Contrary to some of the reviews on this site, our experience was wonderful. We were greeted and given a table in the area we requested. The waiter was punctual and did his best to serve us. We ordered The Big Duck which was outstanding. The appetizers were also presented on interesting plates and platters. Our neighboring tables with families, all were having a great time. SPICES is highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungryndcHungrynDCVIPDined on 4/4/2014Always good food and good service. Great place as usual.Special Features:
- Good to have in the neighborhoodPThanDined on 3/23/2014I like that Spices has a variety of Asian cuisines. The waitress situation confuses me - they changed back and forth and I wasn't sure who was ours at the end of the day. I also got my water filled twice and was wanting water for the last half the night and no one came except for when the check was randomly brought to our table without having asked for it. It was as if they wanted us to leave really quickly after we finished all our meals even though the restaurant wasn't even that full.Special Features:
- I love this place!AmirVIPDined on 3/15/2014The food is excellent. The service is wonderful. The staff is exceedingly friendly. There are not enough good things to say about this place. The sushi is so good that my group tends to go overboard on ordering and never get to try the entrees!Special Features:
- Service was awfulDCfoodie1VIPDined on 3/14/2014We go to Spices a lot. While it wasn't crowded, it took nearly 45 minutes to get some sushi and 2 entrees - major drag. They need to up their game.
- Great Asian fusion at right priceMissyVIPDined on 2/14/2014Spices has a variety of Asian dishes. My favorite is the pad thai. The service is reliably good and fast. This is our "go to" place on a week night.Special Features:
- Thoroughly enjoyed SpicescollegemomDined on 2/1/2014Two adults and two college age kids and everyone found something to their liking. The menu was varied and contained some interesting combinations of tastes. Will definitely go back again when I'm next in D.C.Special Features:
- Spices is a Real FindBalloch00VIPDined on 1/22/2014Good Asian food of all kinds at very reasonable prices. Relaxed atmosphere, good service, food and prices; what more could you ask for?Special Features:
- Delicious Food, Missing WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/20/2014As always, the food at Spices was delicious. I have always been a fan of the Dragon Dumplings and Pad Thai. I have dined in Spices a few time as well as carried out. On this occasion, I met a friend for lunch and we were seating in the back room, which is completely fine. However, as the place started to fill up our waiter forgot about us. In fact, I'm not even sure who our waiter was. People came, ordered, got their food and left in the time my friend and I were waiting for our food to arrive. Our appetizer took about 15 minutes, and our main courses another 20 after that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Asian Cuisine!DCFoodieVIPDined on 1/18/2014I had a wonderful time at Spices. From the food to the service, everything is great. When I dined there, they were just putting up Chinese New Year decorations. It is a very festive restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not great AsianNB41VIPDined on 12/8/2013I remember Spices being even better. Menu is limited, except for Sushi and food, generally, was good, but not great. Nice local restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice and spiceyMichaelVIPDined on 11/29/2013True to its name, the food here was fairly perky. The "suicide" dish did not do me in but was nicely spiced. In fact, there is a hint of sophistication in the preparations - not just spice. My friend's vegetarian dish (with eggplant - plentiful on the menu) could have been spicier, he said. The wines by the glass are forget-able and a little on the skimpy side. The place is not carpeted and is thus clattery. I would return to try some of the other dishes.
- Good Food Good TimeCB84Dined on 11/2/2013Loved the "Suicide Curry (w/chicken)". I think it's one of the better dishes in DC (smelled wonderful and tasted even better). Perfect for a stuffy head in the Fall/Winter months. The tables are a little too close together for our taste (better for large groups than intimate dinning). We had a great time anyway. The staff was very nice and the prices were very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpicesHungrynDCVIPDined on 9/23/2013Spices food and service never disappoint. I've been there several times and the food is always superb and the service also friendly and helpful. Great prices, too. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best shrimp ever!SolstadDined on 9/16/2013We split the pad thai and General Tao shrimp- the Shrimp were the sweetest, freshest, most perfectly cooked shrimp ever! I am still thinking about them 2 days later. The service was excellent, food delicious. It was not very busy on a Monday, so noise was moderate to energetic but I can imagine that when full it is quite load with the large room and high ceilings. The presentation was beautiful too. They use lots of interesting plates/bowl things, not your standard pieces. I look forward to going again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding mealSusanVIPDined on 9/13/2013Everything was excellent, the waitress was knowledgeable. It's a bit noisy - was a problem for one of our group who does not generally have hearing problems (he was in the most exposed seat, and got more of the noise).Special Features:
- Great asian fusion in CPOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2013Great service and delicious food in Cleveland Park.Special Features:
- Always goodTracyVIPDined on 8/10/2013We go to Asian Spice often because they are consistantly good. We may have a meal not as good as some we've had but that is due to personal preference. Satay is wonderful, Seaweed Salad is wonderful, Panang Salmon is great, drinks are good, not weak. I just wish they would allow for substitutions, i.e., Panang Chicken instead of Salmon. I love Panang but don't eat seafood. Sushi is great also per my Husband.Special Features:
- Good for a bite before the movieotberburVIPDined on 7/31/2013Our group ate at Spices prior to a movie showing at the Uptown Theatre across the street. It proved more than adequate for the purpose. I chose a couple of Vietnamese items from the pan-Asian menu. Food preparation was good. although not at the level of better places I've eaten specializing in such fare. Service was efficient, if not particularly charming, and for reasons our group could not discern, we were seated in the far rear corner of a restaurant that was 80 percent empty at the time. Prices are moderate for the area.
- SmellygertieDined on 7/13/2013When we walked in, I got a big whiff of fish. This is when I would normally turn around and say no thank you. But I was with a group of friends so that wasn't an option. Needless to say I avoided the sushi. I got fried rice with duck and veges, It was hot and tasty. But my friends who got sushi were disappointing.Special Features:
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2013Haven't been here in a few years, but the food is still good, sushi even better. Was surprised I could get in so easily on a Friday night. Service left a lot to be desired - our original waitress never came to take our drink order, but took the one for the table right next to us, 3 feet away. Another waiter took our drink and food orders both, but at the end of the meal, had to wait forever to finally get the attention of the original waitress to bring the check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and excellent locationSteveVIPDined on 7/3/2013Spices is my sushi restaurant of convenience. It's not Kaz or Sushi Taro, but out isn't trying to be. Food is good, but quality isn't as high as the other two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality solid. Variety niceFoodGuyVIPDined on 6/10/2013Gen Tso Chicken was especially yummy. Onion cakes a little greasy - evil but good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clean and well-lit, with friendlyElvisDined on 6/8/2013Clean and well-lit, with friendly staff and an interesting menu of Asian favorites and some new ideas. The food is always delicious, well-prepared and presented with flair. Recommendations - these are everyday staples you wouldn't look at twice, but I am here to tell you that these are the best in their class you'll ever taste - rediscover california roll, chicken fried rice, and coconut icecream. You'll order double just for the doggy bag!Special Features:
- Another great birthday at Spices!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/12/2013We celebrated another great birthday at our favorite Asian restaurant. The food was excellent as always. I love the General Tao's chicken. Others love the Sea Bass. We can never get enough of the excellent pan fried dumplings. The wafu salad is the best anywhere. Their homemade secret wafu dressing turned me into a salad eater from never eating salad, its that good! The wife and kids love the sushi. (I dont eat it) The staff is always so nice and we love eating there. We travel all the way from Potomac because the food is so good. Only regret is that there isn't a Spices closer to our home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was looking for a SushiZachB22Dined on 3/9/2013I was looking for a Sushi place in Cleveland Park and this showed up on OpenTable. I was impressed with the mix of Asian food and Sushi, and really enjoyed the quality. It was perfect for a reasonably priced meal for four. I especially enjoyed the Sushi Boat presentation of our sushi.Special Features:
- Spices is always good. NotOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/8/2013Spices is always good. Not great. Expected. And we were looking for the known got a friend recovering from a cold.
- wonderful group dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013We dined here as a group of 4; ordered 3 appetizers to share, which were delicious and generously portioned, and then 4 main dishes to share, which were all amazing and varied. As newcomers to dc, this restaurant immediately made it onto our favorites list and we will definitely be back. The food was also very reasonably priced for the quality, though the wine was a bit on the pricey side. We especially loved the melt in your mouth spicy chicken and chinese eggplant, and the super flavorful and tender black pepper beef.Special Features:
- Excellent Peking Duck, CurryFineNWResourceDined on 2/18/2013Excellent Peking Duck, Curry Laksa and Sushi in particular. Having patronized for years, I find Spices a consistent joy for friends, our of town visitors, colleagues. Service pleasurable. Outstanding Cleveland Park asset.Special Features:
- I would have given a higherOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/2/2013I would have given a higher rating but a lot if the employees looked very irritated that my friend and I were coming in for our 10:45 reservations. Because we felt bad has quite a few death stares, we ate our food as quickly as possible and left. They were still very attenyive to us despite the fact we came before they closed. Might go back here but will make sure that I got earlier because the death stares made me and my friend very very uncomfortable...Special Features:
- First disappointment in aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/27/2013First disappointment in a long time... big time!Dumpling appetizer not very hot.Duck undersize and undernourished.Crispy prawns mostly coating.Only good dish was eggplant.
- The food and service wereJim64Dined on 12/31/2012The food and service were outstanding! We were visiting in DC and met friends their based on the online reviews. They were right on the money - great food with a right sized menu, not overwhelming like some oriental restaurants. Our waitress was very attentive without being overboard. We stayed for about 3 hours and they were very patient with us.Special Features:
- Best sushi around this townBarbaraDined on 12/28/2012Best sushi around this town or any other across the US!Special Features:
- Our trips to Spices are alwaysSoupDined on 12/28/2012Our trips to Spices are always wonderful. The service is efficient and the servers knowledgeable. The food has complex textures and flavors, living up to the restaurant's name! We live in northern Virginia, so a trip here is a destination trip. Would that they had one of these in our neighborhood -- we would be regular visitors. We did ask for a table away form the front door this time, as the weather was quite windy and cold, and they honored our request. This neighborhood gem fills up fast, so aim for an early time to get a seat!Special Features:
- Consistently excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/23/2012Have been coming here for many years and it is always a pleasure and the food is wonderful.Special Features:
- The crab rangoon was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/21/2012The crab rangoon was great. The sushi was average. The best roll was the yellowtail and scallion. Next time I'll try their other food options and pass on the sushi.
- Amazing food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/20/2012The menu was fantastic and the food was even better. One thing I wish I would have seen was something with kobe beef.Special Features: