100-B Gibbs Street
Rockville, MD 20850Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.spicexing.com/
- Phone: 3016100303
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm -10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Contemporary Indian
- Executive Chef: Sudhir Seth
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer catering for all your needs - whether a small family gathering for a dozen or a wedding for 500 people. All menus are customized to meet your discerning taste and we pride ourselves to meet or exceed your expectations.
- Private Party Facilities: We can arrange for a semi-private area for a party, meeting or presentation. We are also also available for lunch buyouts on Saturdays & Sundays.
- Private Party Contact: Sudhir Seth 3016100303
- Entertainment: CURRY-OKE, it is Karaoke with some Spice. Every Friday evening starting at 9.30pm. Come earlier and dine in style, then join the fun - singing, drinking and dancing.
A word from SPICE XING
Spice Xing is an upscale, family-casual dining restaurant serving contemporary Indian cuisine and dishes influenced by foreign cultures which came to settle, rule or conquer the Indian subcontinent since millenia. The dining hall is adorned by a rich fabric ceiling and the walls have a plethora of the unique Indian spices in pictures. The restaurant has a full bar and offers comfortable booth and chair seating. The restaurant serves a sumptuous lunch buffet and has a Happy hour followed by dinner service. It is conveniently located in the Rockville Town Square, with ample parking and easy accessibility by Metro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
SPICE XING - Best Restaurants in Rockville ›
SPICE XING reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (17)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (10)good for groups (8)romantic (6)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Not bad at allthekernlDined on 9/13/2014We love Indian Cuisine and are always looking for new restaurants. Spice Xing was very nice. Not the best we've ever had but certainly an enjoyable meal. The host was not all that friendly, telling us that the restaurant couldn't accommodate us because they had a large party due at 8 pm; even though it was empty when we arrived at 6:15 PM. When we mentioned that we had reservations, his demeanor changed, but I was confused why he would turn away business at 6:15 when they were empty. Regardless, the meal improved from there. Our waiter was delightful - his name was Blessing - very helpful and eager to please. The food was good although portions a little small. The ambiance is very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Service a Bit SlowJP2013VIPDined on 8/5/2014Our food was really tasty, and I got a dish recommended by the waiter/manager (I think the manager waited on us). Our food was a little slow to come out, but once it came out it was delicious! Overall, good food and decent service.
- Lovely Celebration PlaceFirstTimeVisitorDined on 6/29/2014We selected Spice Xing as we wanted to treat a friend to an Indian cuisine buffet for her birthday. We all were very pleased with our first visit and decided we'll go back again. As someone who is not generally a fan of this cuisine, I found much that delighted me that wasn't too hot.Special Features:
- When the menu says hot, it's hotFionabertVIPDined on 6/27/2014I can't say I wasn't warned. The menu has very spicy stuff in red and has the adjectives to go with that. But, i thought, I like spicy. Then I discovered that they meant it. Too much for me--tears in the eyes, runny nose, glasses of water, and an extra raita proved it. But the non-red dishes were great. Try the eggplant pyramid of three different preparations of eggplant combined. Try the seasoned martinis. I'd go back readily. I'd recommend it (in fact I am right now recommending it). But believe them about hot.Special Features:
- Always GoodMamatweegaVIPDined on 6/19/2014We are never disappointed when we eat at SpiceXing. The food is consistent, the service attentive. Whom ever we bring there, always enjoys the meal and generally goes back again on their own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 362 reviews are from the SPICE XING reviews archive.
- Basic Indian, Karaoke On The SidebeatlemaniacsVIPDined on 5/23/2014We dined here Friday evening the 23rd. Right to begin with, I felt that the ambience and menu had declined since our previous, memorable outing here several years earlier. The menu is sparse and tired, with no combination dinners. Our waitress was nice enough, but not helpful at all with menu choices. The chicken I ordered was dried out. Service was only adequate, except until the end when the server went AWOL and I finally had to proceed to the cashier/hostess to retrieve our check. This came amid the first amateur singer in the SpiceXing karaoke night...Not too many reasons to return very soon, I'm afraid.Special Features:
- Authentic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014I LOVE SPICE XING! I love their food here. I have had 3 different dishes and have loved every last one! Although wonderful the food took a little long to come out. We were there way over 2 hours... Food is the most important thing, so I'd still go back!Special Features:
- BadOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day brunch and the service was table. I'll try to be brief: 1. They sat us at a dirty table. 2. They brought us WARM water. When we asked for cold water, they brought out a cup of ice, sat it on our table and walked away. Please tell me WHAT are we supposed to do with that? 3. We had to ask for a menu, and when we did they brought out ONE menu for four people. 4. One of us did not have a fork, and waited for 10 minutes to finally get one. When we finally got the fork, they waitress brought out two as if saying "Don't ask me again." 5. We had to use small plates for the buffet because that was all they had. Then the manager had the nerve to ask "Why are you using those small plates?" -_- Because that's all you have!
- Excellent choices for veganskbetancoVIPDined on 4/26/2014Several vegan items available and noted on the menu. I've tried all of the vegan items and they are all good, with the one exception being the okra... the one time I got it it was soggy. The channa masala is excellent. No vegan desserts, unfortunately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superlovetosingDined on 4/18/2014Awesome DJ Sanjay. Wonderful Karaoke experience. Food is okay, nothing outstanding. But the whole experience was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fusion in downton Rockville!BizLunchDined on 4/12/2014Spice Xing features great variations on Indian cuisine, along with some of the best traditional dishes. Very friendly service staff. Always humming but rarely too busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocritySimpleFoodieDined on 4/8/2014I guess an almost empty restaurant may have been the first clue that this wasn't a great choice. But, OK, we said, this is a weekday, we said, the service should be quick, we said... Nope! The service was not very quick, although professional. But the food was borderline awful. Salted lassi - very watered down and no spices at all, just yogurt with lots of ice and a little pepper. Paneer brochettes - dry to the point of rubber, and tasteless, topped with a tiny amount of fresh chopped onions and bell peppers... again, no spices to speak of. Tandoori chicken - very dry and barely spiced. The rice was cooked well but tasteless. About the only tasty bite was the side - veggie saute with carrots, mushrooms, and eggplant. Overall - zero taste!
- OutstandingPickyDined on 3/7/2014Food was excellent--flavorful with just the right amount of spice. Lots of menu choices and great options for vegetarians/vegans. I was dining with longtime friends and the wait staff didn't badger us to order. They were attentive without being overbearing. We stayed long after we finished eating and they were very accommodating--didn't make us feel like they wanted the table for another party.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spicy and great serviceJohninDerwoodDined on 3/1/2014We went to Spice Xing for the first time and will definitely return. The restaurant has a very pleasant ambiance and the service was generally excellent. We had two lamb dishes that were hot, spicy and delicious. I have to recommend the chicken roll appetizer which was delicious as well. I look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Great saag paneerTastefulDined on 2/22/2014On the whole a good experience and I will return. The lamb with apricots was very good, although the meat could have been more tender. The saag paneer was outstanding, probably the best I've had in the area. The appetizers were a bit disappointing. The mango lassi was excellent. The decororations are pretty, but the wood tables were scratched and worn. Our waitress was excellent. I can't eat very spicy things, and she was able to recommend dishes and tell us which ones could have the heat level adjusted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodMamatweegaVIPDined on 2/21/2014We find ourselves eating at SpiceXing quite often because the food is consistently good. The service is friendly and it is well located in the Town Square area of Rockville.Special Features:
- No service!AmandaVIPDined on 2/14/2014I went here for Valentine's Day and made reservations for me and a friend since we had plans after at Visarts in Rockville town center. When I sat down I was waiting for my friend, but nobody came up to me to ask if I wanted something to drink or anything. I waited about 15 mins because my friend was running late, then I had to go up to the hostess booth and ask if a server could come and take a drink order or something. The hostess came over and did it, then a server finally did come over just as my friend walked in. Probably will not ever return. The food was fine but not exceptional; I'd rather go somewhere else with good service.
- Great timeEdwardVIPDined on 1/31/2014Had a Friday night dinner and it was good. Service was great and food was very good. Had the lamb (with ginger) and samosas. Both were very good. Friday is karaoke night so it gets loud, and crowded, around 9.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is always attentiveBubbeVIPDined on 1/26/2014Service is always attentive and pleasant. We think they are the best Indian restaurant in the area. Food is delicious and the restaurant is very attractive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All you can eat lunch was wonderfulDyann301VIPDined on 1/19/2014We went here for lunch with friends, one of which never had Indian food in her life. We all loved the buffet and service. My friend, who is usually very picky, found some dishes that she actually liked very much! I have had Indian food a lot and could tell that it was very well prepared. There was a fish dish that was especially delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aptly namedTiggerDined on 1/18/2014Wonderful mixtures of flavors! I always crave to come back here and try yet another dish: exceptional flavor, just the right mixture of spice. Every dish I have had as been succulent and full of flavor without being overpowering. Interesting cocktails as well. Not your average Indian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Brunch/Lunch BuffetOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/18/2014Love the Brunch/Lunch Buffet here Extremely reasonable and wide selection of itemsSpecial Features:
- If you want to eat. Best IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/13/2014If you want to eat. Best Indian cuisine, this is it! I can not wait to come back for more.Special Features:
- Food generally good but havelennyVIPDined on 1/12/2014Food generally good but have had better on other visits. Service was slow though considering they were very busy Sunday evening.
- Average food, poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/12/2014Below average food. Poor service. We had a Living Social coupon. Glad we didn't pay full price!!! Having said that, the waitress ADDED the value of the Living Social credit to the bill instead of deducting it. She seemed surprised when we pointed this out to her. The bill was adjusted, and so was the tip we left for her! I would not recommend this restaurant. There are other Indian restaurants in the area worth patronising.
- More than just Indian fareOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/4/2014The menu offers uncommon twists on Indian food, such as persian-inspired. Plus, there are many dishes available beyond those on the menu. Just talk to your server about what you are interested in and how spicy you like your food and you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh food and friendly staffHappyDined on 1/3/2014My husband and I had dinner there. The service was excellent. The food was fresh and very tasty! We look forward to trying it again. They have a fireplace for those romantic meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Nice TimePhroggueDined on 12/27/2013We come here fairly regularly. It's menu is certainly not the same as "typical" indian restaurants, so don't be surprised to see things you haven't seen before.The food lives up the the restaurant's name -- spicy -- but that does not always mean "hot", just flavorful. Our favorite thing to do is to make a meal out of the appetizers. We'll order 5 or 6 of them plus dessert. It's kind of like having Indian Tapas. If you're in the Rockville Town Center area, it is definitely a place worth trying.Special Features:
- Great Indian FoodSparkyVIPDined on 12/25/2013This was our fifth visit to this restaurant. The food was very good as was te service.Special Features:
- always love this resturantLewesDined on 12/21/2013The only problem this time was the waitress was not up to par with the usual service we receive at spice xing.Special Features:
- Food was very good. I guessStanVIPDined on 11/16/2013Food was very good. I guess my only negative feedback was that we felt a bit rushed by the waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very flavorful Dadale lambRWoodBVIPDined on 11/12/2013I was disappointed the first time I came to this restaurant, but was persuaded by a friend to give it another chance. I am glad that I did because I had a very good lamb dish. It was far superior to the almost flavorless vegetarian entree I had on my first visit. The wine selection is very good, and the mark-up is very reasonable.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the evening at SpicelynnDined on 11/9/2013Enjoyed the evening at Spice Xing as we usually do. One friend thought the food was too spicy, but I like it just the way it is. Great vegetarian options and the naan bread is always delicious.
- Had not tried the restaurantNKceklDined on 11/3/2013Had not tried the restaurant for awhile but with a gift coupon, we went back. Food was excellent and the service timely and friendly. Good selection of dishes to choose from as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I visited Spice Xing for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/24/2013I visited Spice Xing for lunch in order to try the lunch buffet. The buffet offered a variety of vegetarian and meat dishes. Overall decenr dishesm but nothing outsanding. Off street parking is at a premium - consider parking in a nearby garage or taking metro and walking to this restaurant. The staff is polite and try to make sure the buffet line has food available at all times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceWW13VIPDined on 10/16/2013Food was okay, I had the butter chicken. The service was extremely poor, the waiter was very unhelpful when asked questions about the menu. Went with a party of 5. Refills on drinks took for ever . Wouldn't be back.
- All around greatouttakitchenDined on 10/14/2013We had a fabulous meal at SpiceXing. Chicken and lamb dishes were tender and tasty. I was worried about the spice level of the food, but I loved it all - just the right amount of spice with great tenderness to the meat. Shrimp appetizer was also quite good, Extensive bar menu with a truly decent pour on the wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no black eyes, no feathersdcshrinkDined on 10/13/2013an entirely acceptable dining experience, without any high notes
- somewhere betweenhirospensDined on 10/12/2013I recently "re-discovered" Spice X-ing. I used to come here every so often, but hadn't visited in a few years. I love this restaurant! The food is consistently excellent, as is the service. I eat at other Indian restaurants with some regularity, but Spice X-ing's versions of the usual dishes add an extra "oomph" that distinguishes the place from all the others. Prices are about average for a good restaurant. What's somewhere between? Spice X-ing is somewhere between a place for a special occasion and your everyday neighborhood eatery. Tasteful subdued decoration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeEdwardVIPDined on 10/11/2013I really enjoy Spice Xing. A bunch of friends went on Friday night and had a great time. Food was outstanding and the service was good. Great place for a meal with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.