Spice - Upper West Side
435 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Spice - Upper West Side
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spicethainyc.com/spice/home/index.html#
- Phone: 2123625861
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Everyday : 11:30am - 3:30pm Dinner Sunday - Thursday : 4:00pm - 10:45pm Dinner Friday - Saturday : 4:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Takeout, Wine
A word from Spice - Upper West Side
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerThai
Spice - Upper West Side - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Spice - Upper West Side reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (14)neighborhood gem (14)great for lunch (12)fit for foodies (8)good for groups (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (5)romantic (4)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- MomoNYCDined on 10/17/2014Very good Thai food, very good service. Really loud, difficult to have a conversation.
- ReliableImpressionsDined on 9/19/2014Always a good meal at a reasonable price. Portions are generous and quite tasty. The staff is professional and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/7/2014We ate outside on a gorgeous summer evening. It's a little more crowded and noisy inside.
- HanaVIPDined on 8/14/2014The food was excellent. Our six-year old little guest finished a whole plate of teriyaki salmon, which was cooked perfectly. The service was so so, nice but slow during a non rush hour(we were there at 1:30 for lunch on a weekday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was dryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014The food was not very tasteful and didn't enjoy it. I have Thai Food at many other restaurants and this one was bad.
- Simplicity at its bestThaifoodloverDined on 8/3/2014I loved Spice a nice little restaurant that is affordable with great service. Food was great and the set up is very nice. Definitely a new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Regular dinergingerdinerVIPDined on 7/29/2014This is my favorite Thai food spot in the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sidewalk!HappyVIPDined on 7/16/2014Nice that you can eat outside. Not much of a food critic but I did enjoy my mongolian shrimp dish and the place was really busy.
- food disappointingGinnyDined on 7/9/2014We went here looking for a good Thai meal but was disappointed. My dish (stir-fry veggies w cashews) was too heavy on the sauce to taste any of the food. My guest's pad Thai lacked flavor. The service and atmosphere were fine.
- Great food especially for the priceSJR1VIPDined on 7/9/2014The Pork Chop is spectacular whether it was $12 or $22. Large portion and tender with an excellent sauce. My girlfriend got the seafood combo and it was good, too. She managed to finish the whole thing which is rare since usually eats about half the portion. Read some conflicting reviews on the service. I thought it was excellent and the waitress even ran outside after my directionally challenged girlfriend when I pointed out that I could see her walking by the place. I was going to get up to flag her down but before I knew it the server was running out the door to chase her down. She made good menu suggestions, too. It's a little on the small side but that is why you make reservations. Overall, a great place at a great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and casualIncredibleVIPDined on 6/29/2014Its a decent location and food on the UWS. The server respectful and neighborhood casual. Nothing special but very clean and comfortable to dine with your family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 53 reviews are from the Spice - Upper West Side reviews archive.
- OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/9/2014Spice has multiple restaurants throughout the city. Unfortunately, the quality of their food is inconsistent from location to location. We dined for lunch on a weekday. It was not the best food and service we have experienced among other Spice locations.Special Features:
- First choice for 1st dateadmnycDined on 5/31/2014This wasn't my first time at Spice, just this location. My date was finicky & had diet restrictions, but he loved the duck! Tables were tight but we managed to still have conversation without feeling like the people next to us could join in at any second. The chrysanthemum iced tea was a nice sweet change from my usual hot tea and my drunken man noodles did not disappoint. Service was okay, even though towards the end we felt a bit rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soothing place after workHanaVIPDined on 5/30/2014Food was tasty, and the place was not crowded. Good for lunch or dinner. Thai food was well prepared and presented. Waitress was friendly. Would come again.Special Features:
- Good dinnerTeenaDined on 5/1/2014I had the grilled chicken with papaya salad. Chicken was not as flavorful as I had hoped but coconut rice side was amazing! "Asian Sangria" was watery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood gemcdravi10748Dined on 3/24/2014We were looking for someplace new for us in the neighborhood and we heard about Spice.we were smart to make a reservation on Open Table because the place filled up quickly.the prices are reasonable and the service quick.the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian gemDelish1989Dined on 3/23/2014Was heading out for some good Thai food, and it is exactly what I had hope for. Delicious. Very reasonable prices. 2 drinks, 2 appetizers, and 2 entrees and made it out for around $50. Definitely going back some time soon. The waitress also gave us a $5 off out next visit. Very impressed.Special Features:
- spice restaurant reviewEmskiDined on 3/17/2014I really liked spice I went there to celebrate my birthday with a group, they were really good accommodating us and didn't have to wait which was a plus. The staff was nice but we had 3 different servers and couldn't quite keep up with the orders but the food was excellent everybody love it and we had a great time, would most definitely recomend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not this Thai PlacePeterDined on 3/8/2014Find a different Thai place on the Upper West Side...food, service and even the tables are lacking. Food was very basic and way over cooked. Our table rocked back and forth. Service was prompt but not helpful or friendly. Low price but low quality.
- Ok foodMeliVIPDined on 2/28/2014I had heard about Spice a lot and finally went to try it. The food was alright, nothing special almost bland. The seating was too crowded and there isn't anywhere for people to wait for a tBle so everyone is kind of on top of each other.
- Best Thai in the cityPleasantlySurprisedDined on 1/26/2014I've been going to Spice for almost 12 years at their multiple locations. To date, it's still the best Thai food I've ever had.Special Features:
- Possibly best Pad ThaiLiliMartinsVIPDined on 1/19/2014In my family we all like Spice, food is really great and service efficient. If it was my restaurant, with such good food, I would maybe make the decor more enticing. Its a bit shabby, chair not that comfortable. But for us and friends we brought with us, every time, all dishes we have ordered so far are delicious!! Our favorite Pad Thais!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Thai food at great priceswolfdaddyVIPDined on 1/7/2014This is truly is a neighborhood gem -- good food, spiced or mild as you like it, with an emphasis on Thai cuisine. It's surprisingly inexpensive for this high-quality cooking. The flavors are delicious, with excellent noodle dishes in particular.Special Features:
- Thai Food "Decent@OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/18/2013As a neighborhood Thai restaurant, Spice is a nice choice. I judge Thai restaurants the first time around by ordering Pad Thai. Theirs was a little too sweet for my taste but my friends' dishes were all met with lots of praise. The salmon dish, being the favorite. I would go back and this time try something different, to give it a better assessment.
- Great for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/13/2013Rama dish is my favorite entree!! So yummy and filling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty food and lack of serviceyoungDined on 11/8/2013Food was very salty. Service was slow and we had to ask for several things twice. Wrong food came out (ordered shrimp black noodles, but got chicken). Not coming back
- Very rudeRyanfVIPDined on 10/12/2013So I showed up for my reservation and my table was not ready. I tried to explain I had a reservation they did not seem to care and told me to come back later - different day they where full. Did not even try and be acomdating
- Terrible restaurantalibeDined on 10/4/2013I went for lunch with 3 friends last week. The food was truly terrible and the staff beyond unfriendly. When they made a mistake with one order, they took it away huffing. Any request "(water please?", or "is my food coming?") would only be met with a stern glare. It doesn't help that the terrace is on Amsterdam and traffic noise makes lunch even more unpleasant. I have no idea why this joint is so popular.
- Great Food, Bad ServiceArrisDined on 9/27/2013I'm a huge fan of this restaurant, have visited two of their other locations. However, at the Upper West Side location, the service was terrible. When my party of three got there, the restaurant was pretty empty...we sat for 20 minutes before I had to get up and ask for help. The server never came to our table to see how things were and twice I had to get up and order our drinks. I have never ever written a review before, but my experience at this location warranted one...
- Gluten in everythingKaykayVIPDined on 8/16/2013I was quite disappointed that there was no one at the restaurant that could tell me if any items on the menu were gluten free. I understand their caution and can much appreciate it. But even after I urged that it would be ok for my dietary restrictions if it were cooked with the same utensils but most importantly needed to not contain anything - the only food that was offered was steamed chicken or beef. Not even vegetables. If gluten is not you concern, then I hear the food is good and priced well for what you get. My friends tried the glass noodles and while unimpressive thought they were good for the cheap price. While the other one noted that that Hawaiian Pineapple chicken was quite good.Special Features:
- RushedMadsDined on 8/12/2013I met a friend here for dinner and we were rushed through the entire meal. We had barely sat down when a waiter asked to take our order and he proceeded to stand next to our table and wait for us to read the menu rather than coming back in a few minutes. Then, after the food came another waiter came by several times to ask if we were done yet while we were clearly still eating. I could understand if the restaurant had been full and people were waiting to be seated but the place was practically empty and it was nowhere near closing time.
- Great ambience & delicious food.AjnaDined on 8/10/2013Overall, I like Spice. The ambience was great at this Upper West Side location. The food is more or less the same as other Spice locations, but the service was much better than other locations around NYC. Good dining at a great price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food - A bit LoudBuffaloLaurenVIPDined on 7/25/2013The restaurant wasn't too busy as we ate about 6:30p, the children in the restaurant made it loud but then it quieted down. Overall there was great service. The spare ribs were yummy and a great app. The pad thai was good for 2 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AdequateDomi111VIPDined on 6/17/2013Not anything special. The staff was nice, but the food was eh.
- A good lunch experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/14/2013My wife and I had lunch at Spice today. It was our first in this restaurant. We found the food very good and the price was extremely reasonable. The location is very good as well. Service was quite friendly, a little slow. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was uniformly good.kehlsDined on 6/8/2013The food was uniformly good. We got out of the theater later than expected and called to say we would be late, and they extended the closing of kitchen and bar to accommodate us, which was very nice. We were well served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Thai Food at Good PriceGDiningDined on 5/24/2013I'm not a thai food connoisseur by any means, but I've never had a bad experience at Spice. Love it for the price and the amount of food you get. Pretty small but there's some outdoor seating if it's a nice day. Great place to have some lunch.Special Features:
- good spot on UWSnydinerVIPDined on 5/18/2013Tried Spice in our neighborhood and the food was really good! Nice atmosphere and the service was good and helpful. Will go back!
- Service was slow. BroughtOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/16/2013Service was slow. Brought out the wrong food to my friend but we didnt complain food was amazing, as always i like the chealsea location much better even though its a smaller spaceSpecial Features:
- Food is delicious!!! PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/24/2013Food is delicious!!! Place is small and crowded but the food and service make it a worthwhile experience.Special Features: