Spice - Union Square
39 E13th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Spice - Union Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spicethainyc.com/spice/home/index.html#
- Phone: 2129823758
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:30pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 11:30pm,
Friday - Saturday: 3:30pm - 12:30am
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant directly with any questions pertaining to catering or private events.
A word from Spice - Union Square
Two floors, with two characteristics. The new Spice is more stylish and yet holds an appealing sophisticated feel. Now with a full bar, guests can enjoy our varieties of cocktails, imported beers, and liquors. The music played is composed by an acclaimed DJ from Thailand which is sure to brighten your mood. With the same great affordable Thai food and friendly service that made us beloved on University with our new space we can accommodate all guests that seek an exciting dining-out experience with a high class atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerThai
Spice - Union Square - Best Restaurants in Union Square ›
Spice - Union Square reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (10)great for lunch (9)fit for foodies (8)special occasion (5)romantic (5)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Avoid at all costj1235VIPDined on 8/25/2014We went to Spice last night with my son who is a vegetarian. I was hoping it would have lot is options. It does have an extensive menu but there was not one thing we order that was edible. The food was truly awful. I took my entree home in a doggie bag and half way down the street left it for a homeless person because I knew I wouldn't be able to eat it again. Poor quality meats, the curry was not flavorful and just hot. I have been to the downtown location many years ago and that was great this is just bad!
- Great food at a reasonable priceHankDined on 8/9/2014Four of us recently had dinner at Spice. Each of our dishes were very good, and the waitstaff and chef were attentive to our specific dietary requests. The only negative was that this attractive restaurant is very noisy. We were seated on the balcony which allowed us to converse normally, but had we been downstairs, it would have been difficult. Nonetheless, I will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RumsondineDined on 8/2/2014Always great food. Noise and tight seating may be a turn off for those looking for a quiet evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Service lacking.MommafryDined on 7/20/2014Overall our group enjoyed Spice. The food couldn't be better. However, the service was lacking. It took awhile to get a waiter. I have to say though, once they started waiting on us, the service improved. I definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- too loudyosserDined on 7/9/2014I met some old friends there and the volume was way too loud. Hostess seemed pretty self absorbed and appeared to be doing us a big favor by seating our party even though we had reservations. This is a place for 20 something kids who want to a cheap and cheerful meal. Food was ok but we had to ask our waitress for utensils, then napkins, and then a plate when a late guest arrived (after sitting there for 20mins) etc. If you are over 40 there are better places where you can actually hear yourself speak.
- TianaDined on 7/6/2014Great as usual! Such a lovely place to go for lunch with their specials that run ALL week! Also rhe very handy location (Union square) make it so easy to access !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Go ToBrunchAficionadoDined on 6/29/2014I've found my new go-to for quick dinners or lunches in union square. Cheap, delicious, good service. The best drunk man's noodles I've ever tasted. The food presentation is also beautifulI would recommend this to a friend.
- Very CongenialJanetDined on 6/28/2014My husband and I made a reservation for dinner here about 2 hrs prior and were accommodated on time! Food was good, priced right and service was very good. I would go here again if I was in the neighborhood looking for a place to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too NoisyjjcrrmDined on 6/27/2014The worst thing about this place is that the noise level is way too loud. I also hated seating on top of everyone. The chairs were terribly uncomfortable as well. The food was very good but don't order wine here - they serve bad, spoiled red wine and instead of opening a new bottle when we complained, they tried to get us to order a different kind.
- TianaDined on 6/27/2014I had a lovely experience at Spice. The food was reasonably priced (9 dollars for entree AND appetizer - as it was the lunch deal). It's quite similar to other Thai restaurants deal but the place is also really cute - it's very much the design rather than traditional. I went with a Thai friend and he said the food was a little bit modified compared to what one can get in Thailand (because of the types of products etc.) but it was very nice still . I would definitely recommend Spice to anyone :) because it's cheap and the atmosphere is nice.Special Features:
- Poor service and no AC!VandySanctusDined on 6/23/2014We dined here with a baby. Probably not the best idea, I'll give them that, but the restaurant was hot and it was difficult to get the attention of the staff (despite how small it was!). Also, no changing table in the bathroom. I love Spice in NYC, but won't be going back to this location.
- Good not greatSarckVIPDined on 6/19/2014This used to be my fave Thai in ny when I lived here ten years ago so I came in for lunch when visiting last week. The lunch special is still a great deal though my chicken and pineapple dish was mostly onions and ginger--there was very little chicken. The salad was good and sticky rice delicious. Good, inexpensive option with a nice space and good service.Special Features:
- Rude Hostess!AnitaDined on 6/16/2014The food is excellent at this restaurant, once the hostess lets you sit down. I had a reservation for 7 pm for 2 people, and my date was late because of a last minute work assignment. I asked the hostess if I could sit and order drinks while I waited. She said no and said to order drinks at the bar. At that time, there were at least three open two-top tables. She made me wait for over 40 minutes, though there was always at least one table open for 2 people. When I asked again if I could sit and order drinks, she told me I could only sit if I ordered my meal. I told her I needed to wait for my date and she turned away. Once my date arrived, I told him what happened and he asked the waiter if that was the policy. The waiter said no.Special Features:
- Too loudEileenVIPDined on 6/13/2014You have to literally scream over the music and the other dozens of patrons who are doing the same. It was straining to keep yelling to my friend who was sitting across from me. It's a super busy place, so don't be surprised if you have to wait a bit for your table to be ready. Food was good though.
- Great Food!MalibuDined on 5/31/2014Food was amazing! Decent portion, great flavors! Great decorations, music, and ambience. Hosts were nice. The only complaint I have is the tables are small and they put tables close to each other. Two plates takes up the whole table. I wouldnt recommend it for large groups (10+ people). Will go again for the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's spice.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Nothing particularly special about this location- just great Thai food, reasonable prices, and good service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Water down drinksKrisDined on 5/9/2014We were there on May 9th and ordered Martinis and dinner. The 2 drinks we ordered were totally watered down. I don't expect for the first drink at $9.00 a piece. It was very disappointing and we won't go back if that's the way they work the bar there.
- The following 134 reviews are from the Spice - Union Square reviews archive.
- GaryDined on 5/2/2014The food was amazing! The ambiance could have been better and my server only took my order and brought me the check (without asking if I wanted dessert or was finished for the evening). Additionally, she "accidentally" charged me 18% gratuity, despite the fact that there were only two of us (thankfully I noticed prior to paying). With that being said, I have been to this Spice on many ovations and have always thoroughly enjoyed my experience. I have always had great, attentive, and friendly servers and I usually go at night when the staff have lit candles, improving the ambiance and giving the restaurant a romantic feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for lunch not dinnerChristineDined on 4/12/2014I was disappointed in the ambiance of Spice. We dined at the Union Square location and were seated upstairs where the cushions were worn and sad looking. The food was ok but not outstanding.
- Could have been awesomeLuluDined on 4/11/2014The person that sat us down was very rude but our waiter was attentive and excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drinks Only SpotLASunshyneDined on 4/10/2014Spice was perfect for a couple of drinks if you are in the Union Square area. The space is tight even though on two floors. The furniture is cheap/plastic and to be honest, the food was average. The service was slow as we sat for a full 10 minutes before anyone said hello. I was there on a Thursday on a rare warm NYC night and the energy was upbeat. I wouldn't break my neck to eat there again but I might stop by the bar for a drink.
- awesomeJayeDined on 4/5/2014I.had.a.great time as i.usually do. Every new dish i try - i make it a habit to try something different everytime- is delish ! i love coming with friends and afterwards the location allows me.to bar hop all over the place !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crowded but still goodnoonisVIPDined on 4/4/2014Though I really like this restaurant and I understand that it's very busy, it's frustrating to make a reservation and then not get your table for weird caveats. I understand not seating the table until everyone is there but if you're holding the table, that shouldn't be a problem, regardless of whether everyone orders their meals immediately. Also, since we were a party of 7, we were going to be seated on the roof, however since one of us was in the bathroom (in the restaurant), we lost that table because we all had to get into the elevator to the rooftop at the same time. Very odd policies that would perhaps be less confusing if were made known at the time of making the reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsKarryDined on 4/4/2014I love Spice!! Their food never disappoints. It's always on point. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Favorite!strebl21Dined on 3/7/2014We went here on a Friday night with a group of friends. We absolutely loved the food and the prices and will be going back for sure!!!!!!!Special Features:
- good food, very crowded restaurantnoonisVIPDined on 3/7/2014The food is always good which is probably why the place was so packed but it was almost uncomfortably so. The staff handled it well though and somehow, even though the music was audible, it wasn't overwhelming.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingARiiEDDined on 3/1/2014I made reservations through OpenTable, I arrived a little before my reservation and was seated immediately! This is amazing considering the crowd this restaurant attracts on a friday/saturday night. Service was prompt and courteous. I love dining here and will recommend Spice Union Square to anyone who loves good food at a great price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not BadHungrypoetDined on 3/1/2014I went to Spice with a small group on Saturday night after an outing. We were seated in about five minutes (had a reservation), but then waited a long time for a waiter. We wanted to talk about what we had done that day, but it was so loud we could hardly hear each other without shouting. The food was not bad at all (I enjoyed the crispy duck), and it wasn't crazily overpriced, so I'd recommend it for reasonably inexpensive, enjoyable food in a pinch. I made the reservation that morning, so I was glad to have a viable option on a Saturday night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating in the darkOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/25/2014Seating was very tight, kinda felt like the waiter was sitting on my shoulder to take the dinner order of the diners next to us. Too dark to read the menu and I thought it was just my eye sight but when the other diners across from us took up their phone to use the flash light to read the check, I was confirmed. Music was so loud I felt like we were at a lounge instead how having a quant dinner and pleasant conversationI would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/22/2014This is more of a high school cafeteria. Food was 'spicy' so technically warm, but not to touch. Everything had the same sauce . The only difference was in quantity. The quality of the mets was very questionable and I am not surely dog would have been impressed. Very disappointing will never return.
- Delicious Night OutluvnyfoodieDined on 2/22/2014Dined at Spice-Union Square on Saturday. The scene was hopping and the food was delicious. Amazingly, using open table, we were seated right away during a very busy time frame around 7:30. The wait staff was very accommodating and service was quite speedy. Delicious and unique pad thai with shrimp. Can definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spicey SpiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2014I love coming to Spice. The food is always great no matter what I try there. You get quick efficient service and overall pleasant experience. The wait can be long so make reservervations or get there early!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ThaiMLADinesDined on 2/20/2014Lots of food at a reasonable price. Good choices for both adventurous and cautious palates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointingBdimoVIPDined on 2/17/2014First - the hostess was unbelievably rude! I was shocked. In this day of social media and the internet - all businesses have to be on their best behavior. The food was not up to par for a SPICE restaurant. The Chelesa location is far superior to this one. The food tasted like it came off a buffet and they just put it on the plate for you. It was very embarassing having a business lunch there - I thought it would be like the other Spice locations.
- UnremarkableTerriDined on 2/16/2014In a city with endless options for good eating, no need to eat here. Food is unremarkable. Very noisy (not energetic, as suggested by the online rating system).
- Awesome drinks and appetizers!!nycfoodieDined on 2/14/2014Great place for a girls night out or date night... Lots of shareable items moderately priced. Great mojitos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/6/2014The food was great as always. I made reservations online in advance and unfortunately my party and I had to wait 15 minutes to be seated. The waiter was kind enough and gave us an option to order while waiting. Very nice but remove the option to reserve if Spice is unable to hold tables for their guest. It was pretty embarrassing for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My ExperienceStephanieDined on 1/26/2014I Had A Wonderful time at spice. It was my friends first time being there and they loved the food. The service wasn't so good. My waiter was great but the busboys and food runners were very rude. I mean I go to Spice a lot and this is t the first time I've had horrible service. But this was just my braking point. And I had wrote in the special request bar that it was my friends birthday and I didn't get any type of warning if there was going to be something special or not. I brought my own cake and no one even asked me if I wanted anything special for him. I mean I will always go back for the food but most likely take it to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average Thai FoodYummy32VIPDined on 1/26/2014Great place for average thai food. I am half thai and know how dishes should be made. Had spring rolls as an appetizer. There was way too much sauce on the rolls and on the plate. Sauce wasn't that good and it over powered the taste. Would not get that again. Also had the panang curry. Sauce was too thick but it was decent. Service was good and would go back if I am in the area but would choose another thai spot like Pam's Real Thai Food if I had the choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I made a reservation for 10.MagdaDined on 1/25/2014I made a reservation for 10. 8 of us showed up and I let the hostess know that the remaining 2 we're running late. They refused to seat us until our whole party showed up. Very disappointing . When we finally got seated upstairs, we sat at the table for a whole 15 mins and no waitress came over to even ask us if we wanted water. I had to physically get up and ask the lady on her phone at the booth if she was our waitress. And of course she was! Even though they messed up our orders a couple times the food was delicious and the ambiance on the rooftop level was really nice. Those are the only good things about this place! Not as happy as I thought I would be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.