403 West 13th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
Southeast AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://spicemarketnewyork.com/
- Phone: 2126752322
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Daily 11:30am - 5:30pm DINNER:Sunday - Wednesday; 5:30pm - 12am, Thursday - Saturday 5:30pm - 1am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southeast Asian
- Executive Chef: Jean-Georges Vongerichten
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Did you know we have 7 Semi Private & Private Alcove Rooms?
For more information call 646-747-8380.
- Special Events: For parties larger than 10 guests or to inquire about private party functions, please contact Anne Couvreux at 646-747-8380 or email@example.com
A word from Spice Market
Jean-George's Spice Market features cuisine inspired from the street food of South Eastern Asia. The exotic design and atmosphere transport guests to a far away location and make for a special dining experience.Continued
Spice Market Menus available at www.spicemarketnewyork.com/menus.php
Spice Market is available for large parties and private functions.
Spice Market Menus available at www.spicemarketnewyork.com/menus.php
Spice Market is available for large parties and private functions.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Spice Market - Best Restaurants in Meatpacking District ›
Spice Market reviews from OpenTable diners
859 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
hot spot (419)fit for foodies (415)special occasion (374)good for groups (351)romantic (309)vibrant bar scene (211)neighborhood gem (205)late-night find (181)great for outdoor dining (139)great for lunch (123)notable wine list (66)great for brunch (60)scenic view (54)kid-friendly (26)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2014Really good restaurant in the meat packing district. You can get there by subway easily. Great for sharing menu items so you can try many things.Special Features:
- Always great to go backLorraineVIPDined on 9/29/2014I love Spice Market. I've been there about 6 times--Once it was during Restaurant Week (my friend was on a tight budget), their fixed menu does not do Spice Market justice. My last visit there were 4 of us foodies . . . we had the Chicken Satay, the sashimi, lobster rolls, boneless ribs --double of each and we ordered additional servings after tasting them. For our main course, we ordered the Duck in Red Curry Sauce, Vindaloo and Ginger Rice. They were all fabulous. For dessert, we ordered the Ovaltine Kulfi (Banana/Chocolate and the whipped cream) the Cookie Bag and the Pandan Cake. All were equally delicious! I will definitely go back. For all that, with a couple of cocktails, the bill came to under $300 for all 4 of us!!Special Features:
- a disasterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Welcome réception but table in a somber corner. Accepted to change table. Appetizer not exceptionnal. Main course not in same time with no rice ordered. After few complains the chicken plate was offered but was burned dixit the waiter... mixed usual water with bottle of water paid.. was recommended by few friends but at the end.. a disaster expérience. Too expensive for the service and food. Was very disappointed... a restaurant to forgetSpecial Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014So my husband and I had a weekend getaway and was looking forward to our dinner at the spice market... The place is absolutley beautiful and the staff was very accomadating as we were early for our original reservations and they seated us anyway. Our expectations were very high and we were a little disappointed with the food... Very spicy and for family style it wasn't very large at all. Very limited desert menu and we could've gotten the "cookie bag" choice from a food truck instead. If you are looking for a trendy hotspot with beautiful decor then go- but don't go hungry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Beautiful restaurant! Food and service was top notch. Crunchy suishi and ribeye skewers with thai basil dipping sauce for apps and curry peking duck for dinner were delicious! Food and cocktail prices were very reasonable. Definitely recommend! Will be going back soon!Special Features:
- Great Tasting MenuesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014We had the two different tasting menues and they were delicious. It was an exciting mixture of Asia meets West that was very appeling to me. The wine menu was also very good and matched the food very well. However the service didn't reach same level as the food. Two times of four I had to wait for the wine and the waiter was too stressed. The food was so if I come back to NYC I will definitely visit Spice Market again.Special Features:
- Spice-tacularasbettsDined on 9/24/2014We dined here while visiting New York. Given the reputation of Jean George, and the Jean George restaurants we'd been to in the past, we knew this would be a good choice. The food was creative and melded great flavors of the world together. The service was spot on, informative and friendly. The drinks were good. I had the most amazing ginger margarita. I don't even like margaritas, but has perhaps changed my mind! They gave us a free anniversary dessert. It was one of the best desserts I've eaten, and I'm a dessert person.Special Features:
- Very nice experiencefunofmortonsDined on 9/24/2014The food in this particular restaurant is excellent! I would recommend the salmon tartar, which has a very special texture and flavor, coming from the unique ingredients the chef uses. Also the pork ribs, without bone, and finally the fired rice with ginger (which brings a nice surprise on top).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot ambiance, cold serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/23/2014Service was unfriendly and cold. Was told that certain dishes were not spicy aftr i asked for clarification then, when food arrived, most of it wasnspicy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very unimpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/23/2014Attention to detail was poor and just not a great experience.
- Had a great time.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Loved the Halibut and the Ginger broth, the creativity of spices and vegetable mixes.Special Features:
- Absolutely fantasticUNGAvisitorDined on 9/22/2014truly amazed by the captivating ambiance, superb service, and unparalleled food and wine.Special Features:
- Great Food & SettingCptNemoDined on 9/22/2014Authentic, high quality Asian food in a great setting. You can feel and taste the flavored of Asian street kitchens here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot rather than spicyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/22/2014Great atmosphere; a place for those who like HOT food, rather than spicy. Service a bit factory like.
- Trendy place, poor serviceStephaneDined on 9/21/2014The location is great, the decor and the overall style of the restaurant are very nice as well. Food (we had the tasting menu) is good, tasty and well presented, but not very exciting or creative, except for the dessert which was really delicious. That would be OK if the service was not so poor. A glas of water was spilled on the table by the waiter as he brought it and, and the "pool" stayed there for the whole meal. Plates come and go quickly, whitout a proper explanation, we also got two different courses in 2 minutes time, then had to eat quickly the first since the second was getting cold already. Eventually we had a relatively good meal, we ate various thai-inspired dishes, but were disappointed by the "experience".Special Features:
- Transportive DiningJRL212VIPDined on 9/21/2014Having reviewed this restaurants dozens of times previously, I can say one of its biggest assets (among many) is consistency. I imagine most diners don't appreciate the complexity of the food offered - and that's just fine. It is fantastic no matter how one comes to that conclusion. On a warm day, with windows flung open, fans gently whirring and the aroma of far-east spices in the air, one feels as though they are on an exotic holiday somewhere ethereal. The wait staff is gracious, knowledgeable and skilled. This is a regular stop for us on a Saturday lunch, and just this past week, for dinner, where the light is dimmed, the restaurant busier, the staff less chatty, but no less friendly and the food always terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What can I say..LuckyinloveDined on 9/21/2014...that hasn't already been said? Spice Market delivers Asian cuisine in a setting that is appropriate for families, couples, and friends. The ambiance, service, and food is incredible. Anyone who is anyone knows that Spice Market is your every occasion restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still speciallowkeyVIPDined on 9/20/2014i hadn't been to the spice market for many years and went for my birthday dinner. the atmosphere is still distinctive and the food is a bit unusual but not too much so - and quite tasty. 2 beef dishes (entree and app) were ok just not as special as everything else. service was mediocre.Special Features:
- Very good but not great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The food was good and staff was interactive. They seemed to miss the finer points. We were presented with menu books that didn't have an insert, the appetizer was sub par and the entrees didn't arrive together (we were told that was going to happen, but it was strange). The ambiance was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was NOT good.RachaelDined on 9/20/2014Any restaurant can overcome anything if it has an impeccable wait staff even with a food menu that is mediocre at best. There were so many members of the wait staff walking around and somehow we were constantly being ignored. It became a game of seeing if we could catch any of their attention. The food was delivered at varying times and the wait staff had no clue as to who ordered what. This dining experience was disappointing beyond measure. I would never recommend Spice Market to anyone.
- Loved it.FoodieDined on 9/19/2014We were two dining. Went for the tasting menu which we shared with a couple add on dishes. Each of the dishes on the tasting menu were pretty close to perfect in taste, presentation and portion size. Loved the ambience and food and would definitely return next time I am in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Thai cuisinejdp44VIPDined on 9/19/2014We read good reviews about this establishment and we were not disappointed. The atmosphere was very comfortable and the service was very attentive. We started with the ribs with plum sauce and peanut brittle. WOW! An explosion of flavors that somehow worked together. Then we had halibut which was also excellent. The curried chicken was slightly salty for our taste, it was still delicious. We will definitely return here when we're back in NY.Special Features:
- Expected BetterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014We are foodies who have eaten at many restaurants around the world. The Spice Market is trendy and full of energy but the flavors of the food were nothing special, and I thought they would be. The chicken wings were powerful (too much). We all ate one! Black pepper shrimp was OK. Duck was pretty good but needed a little more salt perhaps. Slightly tasteless for me. Noodles and short ribs were OK. Total bill for 3 with tip was $365.00. I have no problem paying for food when it's worth it. The Spice Market was not. If you want to try it go to the bar for a couple of drinks and appetizers. If you like it, take it from there. If not, you will have saved a small fortune.
- Amazing!!SkfoodyDined on 9/19/2014Amazing food and great ambiance. Loved this place and would definitely go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian Gem but not in the roughDaneEatNicknamesDined on 9/18/2014A true gem is terms of Asian dining. You arrive in a Asian style restaurant and feel welcome to this vibrant place - the bar is nothing special, but the surroundings in this place are great. You get a true feeling with the way the staff dress. And being seated close to the window is a good thing - downstairs will give you a bit more intimacy feel, even if you are still sharing the room with 100 other guest. Great place. A bit on the pricy side of life, but not unreasonable. Tasting menu was good - but not the reason to come here. The feeling of energy and surroundings are by far what sells this place! A must for all!!!Special Features:
- Tasting MenuIndraniDined on 9/18/2014The tasting menu was recommended by friends and it was beyond what we expected! Every dish was well cooked and served just one after another! The waiters were amazing and our compliments to the chef. The cocktails were delicious and very aromatic! Overall experience was amazing . Will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceFood4thoughtDined on 9/18/2014Delicious food with interesting flavors, a relaxed sensual vibe, and sophisticated service, all make Spice Market the perfect dinner spot for couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spice for food and friendsLeighAnneDined on 9/17/2014An international group of 8 friends gathered to enjoy spice...in our food and in our fellowship! We each had the Chef's Choice menu with the wine pairing and we were not disappointed! Each course was delicious and brilliantly paired with a variety of delicious wine. We will definitely be back to enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantsandsgermanyDined on 9/17/2014Very nice area, great food and the atmosphere in the restaurant was great. WE´ll be back when visiting New York again.Special Features:
- Decide when to open for lunchrestaurantloverDined on 9/17/2014I had an 11:30 AM reservation for lunch. I was seated then waited quite some time for a server to greet me. After I was served my first course, another house staff member began noisily making his way around the dining room with a large step ladder to unlock the windows. Then my Poppadum arrived. I was never offered a hot towel as those that were seated 30 minutes after I did. My bill was incorrect and it took the server nearly 15 minutes to correct his error. The food was out of this world, the service on this day, was not up to the task.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/16/2014Service is just terrible. Not attentive at all. They also cleared our table while we left for a short break outside when explicitly asked not too.
- Vibrant and FunfoodbossDined on 9/16/2014Great food and atmosphere. The Spice Market has been around for years and it never fails to please. The menu is varied and the cocktail menu sports a great whiskey drink called Whiskey Passion Fizz. The Ginger Margarita was awesome too. Our server was attentive but not overbearing and made knowledgeable recommendations. He even brought us an extra dessert that was to die for! This restaurant is a great bet and the lively atmosphere and palate pleasing food are winners.Special Features:
- place 10, food 5crisDined on 9/16/2014grilled shrimp appetizer and short rib entree while good were drowning in sauces that were too sweet; a fried rice dish tasted vaguely of the fuel used to cook it. Hadn't been here in years; I remember the food being much better; emphasis now seems to be on the quasi-club scene of the whole place but sitting in the quiet outdoors on a mild september night looking out at the cobblestones of 9th Avenue was heavenlySpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014The food was very good. But the noise from the musiv was to high. If was trying to talk to my husband I had almost to scream.
- despite reservationparifriendDined on 9/14/2014they are late to find you a table reserved.................;delay delaysSpecial Features:
- Nice dinnerChangesDined on 9/14/2014We had the set menu, with matching wines. Good food, good selelction of wines. Nice surroundings. Friendly staff.Special Features:
- ExcellentClemHarlemguyDined on 9/14/2014Sunday nite at 7pm for a Birthday dinner, Atmosphere amazing, The food was melts in your mouth, a kick but not too spicy. The service was fantastic, Highly reccomend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Food mixOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014You get a nice taste of various oriental dishes. Not as good as in specialized restaurants but the combination makes it special.Special Features:
- Great experienceportugalDined on 9/14/2014The food was great and surprisingly flavorful with many nuances making every dish a highlight! The waiter was wonderful. Ginger Margerita was surprisingly delicious! thank you made 4 Portuguese ladies very happy and leaving the country with a dire desire to come back!Special Features:
- Amazing taste experienceAnkiSthlmDined on 9/13/2014We love coming to Spice Market when we are in NYC. Vivid ambiance, nice music, a lot of people in different ages. We had a fantastic lobster summer roll, red curry duck and grilled chicken with citrus lemongrass dressing that was super good. The best was the spicy Thai slaw. To die for, an explosion of flavors. Perfect balance of hot, sour and sweet.Special Features: