Spice Island Grill
10 N Sierra Madre St
Colorado Springs, CO 80903Neighborhood:
JamaicanPrice: $30 and under
Spice Island Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spiceislandgrill.com/
- Phone: 7194738280x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 8:00pm
Saturday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Jamaican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Happy Hour
A word from Spice Island Grill
At Spice Island Grill you will enjoy traditional authentic Jamaican dishes from this exclusive tropical hideaway. Spice Island Grill is the only casual dining Jamaican restaurant in Colorado Springs, tucked in the historic Downtown Depot district.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spice Island Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since March 30 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (3)fit for foodies (2)good for groups (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Living on past reputationAndyWVIPDined on 5/2/2014Unfortunate that Spice Island Grill has slipped so much – we had dined there shortly after it opened and then occasionally but have not been back for some time. The entrees just didn’t seem to have the care and flair they once did – not sure if there is a new cook or what. Would not recommend.
- Great food, great staffDavidRDined on 4/30/2014We had an excellent experience at Spice Island Grill. The food is excellent, we had the Goat Curry and the Jerk Pork. Both were rich and flavorful. The fried plantains are also recommended! Staff was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- different, quietlexiaaDined on 4/22/2014I would recommemd this place for someone who enjoys trying different things, and if they like spice, LOVE spice. The waiter, who I believe also an owner (the place is most likely a small family business,) was nice but does not seem to understand english well. He doesnt say much. The mother, it appeared, brought us some very good complimentary corn bread with good jam. Always love complimentary food while you wait! Service was prettyfast. The food was good, but, though I asked for it not to be spicy, the waiter probably didnt understand, and my food was out of this worl hot. So was my boyfriend. Make sure you like spice! Other than that it was very good. It was very quiet, only one other table. It is a nice homey interior. Different. Nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Be in a Hurry, MonInWoodlandParkDined on 4/1/2014But the food is worth waiting for and the service (not fast) was REALLY warm and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 19 reviews are from the Spice Island Grill reviews archive.
- Food was very good, but serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2014Food was very good, but service was incredibly slow , including our drink orders.Special Features:
- Jerk is goodfood4thoughtDined on 2/14/2014Even though the night was busy, the staff did an outstanding job in providing excellent service. The food was awesome and had the spice of the islands'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is on island time...450DriverDined on 2/14/2014Food was great, but service needs serious help. We arrived on time for our 7PM reservation. It took 15 min before we got water, 45 min before we had our drink order, and it was 9:30 when we got our food. This was our 3rd time at this restaurant. Service was also slow the previous two visits, but not this bad. Additionally, no one seemed to care. There was no 'sorry the food is taking so long'.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Valentine's Day SpotcbrevikDined on 2/14/2014This was a wonderful experience. Due to the fact that it was a packed Valentine's Day dinner, the wait times were long, but the staff was kind and constantly apologetic even when no apology was needed. The music was pleasant and the environment was beautiful. Great lighting and decor really sold the experience. The food was beyond compare when it finally arrived. I am a big fan of Jamaican cuisine, and I have not had better in this entire state. I will most definitely return, hopefully during a less busy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad serviceJl813Dined on 2/14/2014We waited 20 minutes for someone to take our drink order, then after ordering we waited almost 2 hours for our food. There were no sorry we are behind or compensation. Then we had the pleasure of waiting 15 min for our check. The food is good but not worth the wait or rude service.
- Unknown gemAnubisDined on 2/14/2014this restaurant was one of the better restaurants that me and my wife have been to. I will most definitely go back to it again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food. Jamaican service :)GittsovDined on 2/14/2014Really nice and unpretentious. The food was good. I had excellent "ox stew" , my wife- "whole snapper" that was a little too vinegary, but OK. We shared "jerk shrimp"- excellent. The service was Jamaican- friendly, but a little careless. I will go back, next time we are in town.Special Features:
- True JamacianOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/4/2014Great variety of Jamacian dishes. Everything prepared perfectly.Special Features:
- great local restaurantmilehigher80923Dined on 12/13/2013The food and service were great. I noted in my reservation that it was for our anniversary and the server went out of her way to make the evening special. This was my second time going to the restaurant, and both times the service and food have been excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jerk Chicken wasn't quite jerkyDunzoVIPDined on 11/20/2013The Jerk Chicken was spiced more from a mild sauce than from a rub. Tasty, but not what I was expecting. The curry goat stew was better (from my first visit)Special Features:
- Remembering an amazing honeymoon!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2013We spent our honeymoon visiting the Caribbean and the spice island grill put us right back there. The decor, food and atmosphere was exactly like the places we visited in the Caribbean. We have already recommended this place to many of our friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but very, very slowwemathVIPDined on 2/18/2013Good food but very, very slow service. Service very friendly but way too slow, took 2+ hours for dinner.
- Island-Friendly and Tasty, too!AlexandraDined on 2/14/2013Friendly as the Islands and tasty, too! Our party thoroughly enjoyed the tastes of Jamaica at this small but dedicated restaurant. We felt as if we were the favored guests, despite being only one party of several. We wanted to taste the "specialties" and so we were helped by the staff to select some. All were delicious. One of our party could not eat certain ingredients, so she was guided to foods without them and every effort was made to accomodate our needs. A lovely experience and a good value!Special Features:
- OK, I really wanted to likeOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/25/2013OK, I really wanted to like this place with bringing something unique to the community. It is in the previous El Tesoro space with most of furnishings the same which we liked with previous restaurant but the ambience is definitely lacking with cafeteria bright lights at dinner and a soda machine in entrance. Also, although sauces were very good, appetizer portions skimpy and prices high for what you got. And glass of wine for 6.50 which literally was only filled 1/3 of regular 6 oz wine glass--really??
- We stopped in here becauseGoofyBlondeVIPDined on 1/15/2013We stopped in here because we had a Groupon, and I'm so glad that we did! The food was delicious and the portions were generous! Our server was very personable and attentive- our drinks were never empty, he socialized a bit after bringing the bill, and even though he was the only server on, he didn't forget or mess up anything with our order. We will be going back soon, hopefully with some friends!Special Features:
- Only okay...OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/15/2013Everything is tasty, from food to drinks, but price-point for what you get did not impress us. Additionally, even though very small restaurant, service can still be slow. It was not noteworthy enough that we will work to go back, but if someone invited me, I'd go back.
- The food was great, exceptTCDinerVIPDined on 1/5/2013The food was great, except that we had to wait literally over an hour for it after it was ordered. Don't show up to this place hungry. Never again.
- Great food and service! NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/15/2012Great food and service! Nice application of spices and flavors.
- Terrible Service, No effort to fixOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2012We really looked forward to going to this place, made a reservation and planned a date night. Everything was fine to start, we were seated (place was MAYBE 1/3 full) and our waitress said she was "really busy" and hurried off. We waited for 10 minutes for water, another 15 to order, mind you we are trying to make eye contact with the waitress this entire time and folded up our menus, etc. sat patiently. Then, we waited 30 minutes for our appetizer which was accidentally given to another table, so they bring us out the "same thing" as the other table received... o wait, we are party of 2 so get 4 pieces, this other table of 4 for the same price has 16, they get dipping sauces, we do not. 1h15min later we walked out still without our meal