Spice - Chelsea
236th 8th Ave
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Spice - Chelsea
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spicethainyc.com/
- Phone: 2126204585
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:30pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:45pm,
Friday - Saturday: 3:30pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai
- Executive Chef: Chef Jae
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Spice - Chelsea
With over 15 years of experience Spice has become a New York trend. Known for top quality affordable dining, fast service and cool design spice is the Thai choice for dinners all over the island with several locations spread out in Manhattan and now Park Slope. The Chelsea location features a full bar with exotic cocktails to perfectly match our renowned spiced dishes such as our Papaya Salad or Crispy Boneless Duck. The spacious dining room is perfectly lit with antique chairs, large Thailand's architecture pictures and Carrara marble table tops. If you haven't been to spice be careful, you may get addicted! Spice Chelsea located on 236 8th avenue corner 22nd street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spice - Chelsea reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (11)great for lunch (9)fit for foodies (8)neighborhood gem (8)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)special occasion (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)romantic (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/11/2014Food was so salty as to be inedible. Service was fine.
- Solid Thai FareAndrewVIPDined on 8/28/2014Delicious Thai fare. Good service. Good ambience. Pad Thai, staple dish, and other dishes are done quite well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good friends and good foodLeeWDined on 8/23/2014The food was flavorful and a good value. It's gets a nice size attractive crowd.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/17/2014I ordered the grill chicken and the food came fast and was very delicious!Special Features:
- Great value for lunch!jojonycVIPDined on 8/10/2014Lunch special $8 EVERYDAY. Many selections of starters + Entrees, decent portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too FastDianeVIPDined on 7/18/2014You must make a conscious effort to control the pace of your meal. The staff has no regard for proper timing. Brings the entree when you have had the first spoonful of your first course. It is very annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Service was terrible, took 20 minutes to get servers attention. 20 minutes to get drinks. Had to Ask for water and silverwear. Will stick to spice union stationI would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai as it should beBrooklynDinerVIPDined on 7/9/2014The food at Spice is always predicatable -- and that's a good thing. I particularly enjoy the duck in lettuce leaves appetizer. Green chile chicken is also a favorite. The rice is always cooked just right. Had the tamarind fish this time. It was good but difficult to get the meat off the bones.
- good local farepenturnerDined on 6/28/2014We were a party of six, seated on time, service good, noise level high and got louder as more people arrived, food was very good and flavorful, portions large, prices reasonable .We enjoyed our experience.Special Features:
- Delicious Thai in ChelseaUESfoodieVIPDined on 6/25/2014Our group of 7 (grandparents, parents and 3 teenage daughters) had a delicious lunch at Spice to celebrate one of our daughter's middle school graduations. The waitstaff were very pleasant and helpful. The noise level was low and the food was delicious. The lunch special included an appetizer and entrée and was very filling. We each enjoyed our meal - noodle dishes and curries were all subtly and deliciously prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 73 reviews are from the Spice - Chelsea reviews archive.
- Good Food at SpiceNYCGDined on 6/21/2014Food was good and the service was good as well! Fig martini was excellent!Special Features:
- Great Thai FoodAndrewVIPDined on 6/18/2014Very good Thai food. Was best Spice location I have been to. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovethaifoodDined on 6/13/2014Good thai beer. Good variety of appetizers and main course dishes. The pineapple chicken fried rice was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would love to go there againprotibadikantha007Dined on 6/7/2014So far the Best Thai restaurant ....... The walnut Shrimp, Chicken Dumpling were awesome, Thai volcanic chicken, three flavor salmon, were good too...... drunk man noodles were special.......:) The staffs were very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly good!WilcolimaDined on 6/2/2014By far it is one of the best Thai restaurant I have been to. The atmosphere is very nice, and have a contemporary feel than typical Thai restaurants. Their dishes have really good and bold flavors, really brings out the flavor and texture of each ingredient. Went there for dinner and ordered the Royal Pork Belly Curry. It's exceptional. The curry wasn't too spicy, and the pork belly have a great crunch on the outside and soft texture in the inside. Have to try the rest of their dishes which all seems to be pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodKNM2Dined on 5/30/2014Nice ambiance, good food and generous amouts of it. 3 friends and myself had dinner here before heading to a comedy show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but too hot !thailoverDined on 5/2/2014The food was great, the service was okay. My waitress didn't really speak to us she just let us speak and left. It was really hot in there too. They have candles on every table which is nice but the heat was on as well I was melting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/27/2014Be sure to order one course at a time. If you order all at once, as is encouraged, you'll have a table overloaded full of food all at the same time with half getting cold as you eat your first course. If you point out that all the food at once is too much, expect nothing other than "so sorry."
- Was FineFood4Dined on 4/25/2014Had an early dinner there recently (we arrived just as they opened for dinner at 5:30). Appetizer (crab rangoon), entree (crispy pork) and dessert were fine but nothing to rave about. Spot is good in a pinch but I've had way better Thai. Service, location and decor were all standard- no complaints.
- Great value for lunch!jojonycVIPDined on 4/19/2014Recommend for lunch, $8 lunch special ( appetizer + entree ) EVERYDAY, good food and nice decor, fewer customers so you get better dining/service quality. Me and my friend always order 3 lunch special sets and share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so...britgirlVIPDined on 4/6/2014I choose lunch at Spice to sample the City's offering of Thai food. A plus point is the fact that it does not reek of fish sauce. On the whole, the food was ok, nothing really made me want to go back and have some more. Service was ok, this place is unfortunately forgottable.Special Features:
- A great neighborhood favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/24/2014The food is always the stand-out at this neighborhood gem; consistently very good, and at a fair price.Special Features:
- food is okay, very slow serviceJennaDined on 3/21/2014The food was okay except for the creme brulee dessert. Service was very slow, rushed and inattentive. The restaurant was loud and some big group table was rowdy. It felt more like a diner experience.Special Features:
- Spiced up my cold eveningNuggetDined on 3/17/2014Went to meet up with an old friend at Spice on a dreary night and was pleasantly surprised. It was my first time at Spice and the notion of it being a chain turned me off a little, but the ambience and the greeting hostess entering the restaurant showed that the reservation could prove to be fortuitous decision. I ordered the Suki and it hit the spot, though I personally would've preferred it spicier. The chicken and seafood blend cooked in cilantro and sesame oil was perfect. My friend ordered the seafood drunken noodle, which was made with spaghetti noodles, the texture of which given the rest of the dish was a little odd to me. But the flavor was definitely there. I would definitely eat here again and am curious to try other locations.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/9/2014Food was much better than expected. Table ordered a wide variety of dishes and no one had any complaints. Better than average decor for a Thai restaurant. Enjoyed it. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Standard ThaiRobbobVIPDined on 3/4/2014My Expectations were not that hight to start, but as far as quick, no frills neighborhood Thai food, Spice fits the bill.
- First New York VisitHenohereDined on 2/23/2014For my first visit i wanted to try out different foods. Spice os definitely a spot I would check out again. As soon as i walked in i was greeted immediately And seated. Service was great as well as the food.Special Features:
- Constant quality...jerseyfoodieVIPDined on 2/21/2014I know Spice has a lot of locations in the NYC area...which is why it surprises me how the food is always so very good no matter which one I go to have my meal. The service is good as well. For the price (extremely reasonable) you just can't get anything better in NYC...especially with such healthy portion sizes. The fritters, the seafood, the duck, all the noodles...just really good stuff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good comforting thai foodspiceloreDined on 2/14/2014This place is always full because their food is well priced, the portions are generous, the drinks are well made. Its a no frills place but you get a decent size table, quick service with a smile and food that's very tasty. Its also very good for vegetarians. The medium spicy doesn't destroy you either! They also do delivery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and spicyBrooklynDinerVIPDined on 1/18/2014Good name for a spicy food restaurant! Great choice of unusual appetizers -- particularly the duck wraps with lettuce. So delicious. I usually get one of the curries but, this time, chose the spicy Japanese eggplant basil chicken. Lots of great spice and lots of chicken. The service is very good even when Spice is crowded as it was on a Saturday night. Servers are pleasant, patient and quick. You can't beat the prices or the predictability!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sugar & SpiceFoodie324VIPDined on 1/10/2014Food was delish & the sizable portions were right up my alley. Customer service was good - my only qualm was that we were rushed at the end [I didn't even get to have dessert yet] =/ due to the restaurant filling up. I had a reservation and should have been able to enjoy every course that I wanted.Special Features:
- The restaurant was too dark.FresserVIPDined on 1/9/2014The restaurant was too dark. It was difficult to see the food on the plate as I was eating it. It tasted good but what was i eating
- Almost died of old age waitingDannyVIPDined on 1/1/2014We ordered drinks and dinner. 30 minutes later.... nothing. No drinks. No food. Zip. The hostess could not care less. We left. Never again.
- Spice up your meals!JordangoodVIPDined on 12/27/2013We definitely enjoyed our meal at Spice which has a varied and interesting menu. I had the duck which was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well donesullenmoonDined on 12/26/2013We have eaten at Spice many times and at many locations. The Chelsea restaurant ever fails to deliver. Our party of five all ordered different dishes and the verdict was unanimously 10 thumbs up. The earlier in the evening, the quieter. By 9, the place was packed with very happy diners. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Some of NYC's best Thai foodWallStreetLawyerVIPDined on 12/17/2013Wonderful flavors, not a mob scene. Small-ish portions so don't hesitate to order an extra course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThailiciousGibbosaurusDined on 11/23/2013Our family of four was quite pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food. The Pad Thai was excellent and the dishes were all well prepared and presented nicely. Service was efficient and accurate. Suggest going early or the wait may be longer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFoodieeeeeDined on 11/13/2013Spice was great all around! The food was delicious and service was very friendly! In fact I made a reservation for two and at the last minute two other friends came and it was not a problem! Defiantly eat at spice it will spice up not just your food but your night too! Thanks for a great evening!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Served at Room TemperatureStarvingVIPDined on 10/23/2013I have been to most of the Spice restaurants around the city and enjoy their food immensely. However, this particular Spice Restaurant located at 22nd and 8th Avenue in Chelsea seems to have a challenge serving hot food. I have been there three times and each time my entree was served at room temperature to cold (I ordered a salmon dish each time). For that reason I cannot recommend this restaurant until they address this issue.
- Pleasantly Surprised!nycgirlkatDined on 10/8/2013Great food, excellent service and SUPER inexpensive!! My friend and I are always looking for new and decent "mid-way" restaurants between Penn Station and the West Village that isn't too creepy and Spice was it! I had a huge craving for Thai food and this fit the bill big time. We had 2 appetizers, 2 orders of Pad Thai, Jasmine Rice and dessert for less than $40 TOTAL - yes, I said TOTAL. Very cute bar/lounge area in front for when you finish your meal and want to linger a bit because the place gets BUSY (I think our entire dinner from order to dessert took little over an hour). Great place for a nicely casual, solid meal with good portions. I think you will be glad you gave it a try.Special Features: