1228 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spice28.com/
- Phone: 2159288880
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:30pm;
Friday: 11:00am - 11:30pm;
Saturday: 12:00am - 11:30pm;
Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Thai, Chinese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please Call.
- Special Events: Please Call.
A word from Spice 28
Spice 28 specializes in Szechuan and Asian fusion cuisines with a full bar that offers signature cocktails and a wide selection of wines and beers. Our Cuisines feature traditional authentic Szechuan cuisines, and fusion of Japanese, Malaysian, Thai and Chinese cuisines. Not only our food are rich in flavors, and spices, they are also authentic and creative. You will find some of the most authentic dishes in modern plating, but you will also find the unique cuisine that you will not find elsewhere. Also, the important is that the restaurant was designed by an architect and newly built. The atmosphere is very hip, modern and vibrant. The service is excellent, prompt and friendly. You will not be disappointed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spice 28 reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (23)fit for foodies (21)neighborhood gem (13)hot spot (12)special occasion (11)romantic (9)great for lunch (8)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great place to eat.DaveVIPDined on 8/16/2014Waitress was great and very helpful with suggestions. Place works for either 2 or a big group, music was subtle in background but was upbeat. Only draw back was the good wasn't hot, was nice mixture of spices and vegetables were fresh, just wish it was hotter when arrived!Special Features:
- Spicy GemCdkatzDined on 8/9/2014Great restaurant with amazing flavors. This was my second time there in a month and I plan on going back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute date night spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Great for a dinner for two or more. Great food and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good pan-Asian mixViaRailOneDined on 8/1/2014Spice 28 is a small and often lively restaurant that serves a great mix of Asian dishes. There's a little Malaysian and Japanese and a strong selection of Chinese. It has a nice selection of wines by the glass and beers (and mixed drinks and wines by the bottle but on three visits I've never explored those options). The food is good and comes in all levels of spiciness and hotness. My wife, whose taste buds are rather conservative, can find options that she likes, as can my more adventurous son.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem on ChestnutDirtyDozenDined on 7/28/2014Love Spice! Great lunch and happy hour specials! The food was very good and the overall experience was great. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely AwesomenomcityDined on 7/6/2014This is the first time I am ever writing a review on a restaurant because that is just how fantastic Spice 28 was. Wow. The food was wonderful, with a very nice menu. The service was fantastic. My napkin fell on the floor and immediately the HOSTESS showed up with a new napkin. The waitresses were very personable and actually laughed and talked with you, rather than just take your order and leave. I highly recommend this place to anyone who wants Asian fusion food. It was a great price, great food, great atmosphere in a great neighborhood. My only complaint is the music was a bit loud, but it was alright.Special Features:
- Very pleased2004everDined on 7/4/2014My husband and I located this place as a last minute find. We were happy to celebrate our 10 year anniversary with great food and reasonably priced. We would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RishiDined on 7/4/2014They really need to get their act right. We were a group of six & we had to wait for almost 30 mins for our food & then we realised that my food was stone cold & another dish (pan seared salmon) was raw in the middle. My food was brought back after reaheating in the microwave which should not have been done as it had berries (which all disintegrated for that). Overall although the server was trying her level best to accomodate us, the food was really way below standard.Special Features:
- perfectionkp22Dined on 6/20/2014Although I've been before and it was better, this time it was mediocre at best. Food wasn't as great as prior times. But I will remain loyal, and try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh.JamiDined on 6/15/2014Too loud, the waitress was really uncertain how to deal with food allergies (Despite me putting it on the reservation), and unwilling to check with the chefs. When eating the wrong thing can kill you, it's reasonable to want to confirm what's in things. Price wise, not great, not awful for a treat out, but portions were really small for the appetizers (part of the fun of fusion cuisine with multiple people is ordering a whole bunch of things and seeing how they go together). The sesame noodles were really bland, but redeemed by the addition of chili sauce. Most things were better when spicier, but even the things we requested spicy weren't THAT hot. (Though, in fairness, I'm a heat fiend.) Not bad, but not amazing either.Special Features:
- Spice 28vivid15Dined on 5/25/2014I googled philly restaurants and found this place. It's in a great location in the center city. The service and food was amazing. The drunken noodles were delicious and so was the tuna dumpling appetizer!Special Features:
- Eh..Kadesbully088Dined on 5/11/2014I went to spice 28 for Mother's Day with my boyfriend and his mother. The servers were great and very attentive. It took about 15 minutes to get 3 drinks. The place was empty. The salad was amazing. I only got an appetizer for dinner. It was good but very spicy. I think it was ok, but extremely over priced.
- Spice 28MargaretVIPDined on 5/10/2014This is such a fun restaurant and the food is quite nice. Service was fine, too, very sweet. The only issue: we weren't checked in as open table guests and had to resolve that by email. Quickly handled by Open Table!Special Features:
- The following 160 reviews are from the Spice 28 reviews archive.
- Pricey but Great Happy Hour DealsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/8/2014We had a living social coupon so we were lucky. We had two beers, two apps, and 2 entrees for $80, everything was good, portions were average, our server was really nice. We were there for happy hour but we didn't know the specials were for the bar only.. next time we will go for happy hour instead!
- Fun place for dinnerPrince95Dined on 3/22/2014We were a group of 7. The place bit very big but they could accommodate us plus other large groups. It did get very loud so if you don't like that it's not for you. The cocktails were great and a bit strong. Enjoyed the small plates and soup. Entrees were good but had no spice at all, despite having a 2 fire very spicy symbol. We ordered green curry chicken and Thai basil chicken. We had 2 kids in the group and asked for their meals to be less spicy. Perhaps they mistakenly made ours have zero spice. I would go back but specify that I want the spice.Special Features:
- Great Asian modern restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2014Very happy I found this place. Service was good, excellent wine and cocktail selections and fantastic vibrant flavorful food around every corner. You could even go just for appetizers and be content.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2014Overall, we were happy with our meal. We're vegetarians and they make most of their entree dishes with tofu! Prices are very reasonable, good food and drinks, what more can you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Great ServiceKtSueDined on 3/18/2014The food at Spice28 was delicious! The ambiance is probably the best part though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worst service everfoodieVIPDined on 3/14/2014I went last Friday with a friend--it was the worst service I have ever had in my life. The waitress was so bad, it just seemed like she just walked in and they handed her an apron and said she could work. We had to ask for waters for the table TWICE, and they came AFTER our appetizers were served. She also had no knowledge of alcoholic beverages whatsoever and I was given the wrong order for food and drinks several times. To top it all off, she gave us the wrong check. The food was good, but not worth going back for such terrible service. Very disappointing.
- After work celebrationowenmonty1VIPDined on 3/14/2014I scheduled an early celebration dinner for after our department's full day retreat . We had been looking forward to the Dan Dan noodles with their Coconut bombs, Bengali IPA and grey goose Martinis. The appetizers were so good we doubled up and went light on entres. Two sakes later we had pineapple fried rice , shrimp, and tuna. The only slip up was my delicious Sea Bass which came 20 minutes after everyone was finished . The house offered deserts as an apology which we cheerfully accepted. Coming back with a party of 8 Monday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pan-Asian placeMeestaSeedsDined on 3/12/2014Dined here after reading some reviews on yelp and open table. Was a little skeptical at first seeing as the place was nearly empty. Turns out, it was nice that it wasn't crowded. Food was excellent with large portions. Our server, Alex, was very nice and attentive. The dandan noodles were my favorite but I also like the ahi tuna dumplings. The sea bass was cooked perfectly and was very tasty. We also had some kind of dry pepper chicken. While it was good for what it was, I don't think I could recommend it and wouldn't eat it again. Left kind of a weird aftertaste. I would definitely eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, potential to be noisyldoughDined on 3/9/2014The food was very flavorful. The service was great. I went at an off-peak time, and even with only 4 other tables full, it was pretty loud between people talking and music (which I think is mostly due to the design of the dining room). I can definitely see the potential for it to be noisy when the restaurant is full, as I read in other reviews. Overall the food was great, and I had an enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- good food!mgf1020VIPDined on 3/8/2014Our food was very good, but the service was a little slow. We had to wait for quite a while to get our drinks as we saw the finished drinks sitting at the bar, but our server did not bring them over right away...we had to ask. I think the the server was new adn seemed unsure of himself, but overall the dining exeperience was good.Special Features:
- Not a typical Chinese restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/1/2014Very good food, good portions for sharing, mix of Chinese, Thai and other Asian dishes gave everyone in our group a lot of choices. Noisy when the restaurant is full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy Spice 28PaulDined on 2/26/2014I've been here a handful of times, and I enjoy every time. The service is quick, helpful and friendly, the drinks are fun, and the food is pretty good; haven't had a bad meal yet! And pretty reasonably priced for such good hands-on attention.Special Features:
- Pretty terrible..OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2014Came here with my family on a Saturday night; we had an 845 reservation. This place was LOUD; the server had to come to each one of us individually and lower her ears closer to our faces so that she could hear us. Regardless, it was a Saturday night so it was somewhat expected.The only thing I liked on their menu: satay chicken. Salt and pepper shrimp was lukewarm and didn't even compare to the same dish at Han Dynasty in U City (phenomenal food btw), used cocktail sized shrimp rather than jumbo shrimp (was an entree too) and it was too oily. Saigon beef was too sweet and the hot pot fish was NOT in a sauce as described. It was more like a soup...that interestingly enough came with rice. Bland and tasteless. I will not be dining here again.Special Features:
- first time Spice 28 now groupiesowenmonty1VIPDined on 2/22/2014we needed a nice local Philly restaurant for a 2:30 brunch on a Saturday for asian fusion foodies and found Spice 28. What a wonderful surprise! The drinks were potent and delicious , the wine and ber list interesting and the food delicious. The Dan Dan noodles the best we have had including Han. Better than POD says the ladies. THe main courses served quickly hot and spicy and sharable. The final star was the coolness of the deserts jsut right to sooth the Spice induced tingle.. We will be back..this week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real findPatrickVIPDined on 2/18/2014Very fresh fish excellently prepares. Snapper outstanding.Special Features:
- Absolutely outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/17/2014Recommended by concierge at Marriott and they couldn't have done better. The food, service and atmosphere were great as well as having reasonable prices. Nice rice wine selection too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arrived skeptic, left impressedAndyDufraneDined on 2/14/2014After making Valentine's day plans the day before, Spice 28 was simply the most intriguing of a short few options. I arrived unsure of what to expect but was instantly a fan of the modern look (furniture, bar, lights) of the place. We were soon greeted by the nicest waitress I've had since in some time; genuinely nice and willing to converse, not just smiling for a top. - we both got cocktails that were great. My girlfriend got a Japanese style mojito and I a Green tea gimlet. Our first dish was a simple Thai calamari with a sweet chili sauce. My girlfriend and I both loved it. We admittedly played it safe with our entrées. A thai fried rice dish and the Saigon beef. Both satisfactory. Desert: cappuccino truffle. Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time in a Snow StormBMac1967VIPDined on 2/9/2014My wife and I have been to 38 countries and know good food. "This is it". An un pretentious mix of Thai and Chinese. What could be better? The entire menu is thoughtful and appropriate. Grab a window seat and enjoy while the snow falls softly on Chestnut Street. Nothing on the mebnuittastes like a chain restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was amazing!!! The foodAliiDined on 2/3/2014It was amazing!!! The food was very delicious!!! I will be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Place was nice! A bit noisy,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/31/2014Place was nice! A bit noisy, but very unorganized when it came to seating. On the other hand, the food and drinks were really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fabulous service!ab3314VIPDined on 1/31/2014Great food and fabulous service! The waiters were all swamped so the manager waited on us just to make sure we were taken care of in time. It was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/31/2014I recently dined at Spice 28 to celebrate my birthday. Since I love spicy foods, I couldn't have selected a better place. Everything was delicicious! We had a party of 10 and our server was extremely patient with us and pleasant. It was difficult to speak to all party members because of the seating arrangement but I would definitely go back again with a smaller group of friends.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekPandalicksDined on 1/30/2014It was restaurant week - the price was good as well as the food, i would definitely go here again. the manager/owner hover over the employees a lot as well as the customers at the table. he seems a bit aggressive..but still nice overall...The waitress that served us had a pretty high squeaky voice..sounded so funny and fake (sorry) Drinks: Tokyo Green Garden is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kids first timeMoreDined on 1/30/2014I too my 13 and 20 year olds to try something new. My son who only loves fried food was so pleased with all the choices he made. He asked when we could go back. We all enjoyed the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I liked it!nickbDined on 1/29/2014I went for resurant week and the food was good and the service was GREAT! they really accommodate you. I would defiantly come back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticsamuelDined on 1/28/2014Great place for Happy Hour and meeting new friends. Delicious food and friendly, pleasant service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ivan, concierge at the MarriottWheelerDined on 1/27/2014Ivan, concierge at the Marriott recommended it. Easy walk from hotel. Attractive decor. Food was great. Service was excellent. I went twice during our stay.Special Features: