1228 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spice28.com/
- Phone: 2159288880
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:30pm;
Friday: 11:00am - 11:30pm;
Saturday: 12:00am - 11:30pm;
Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Thai, Chinese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please Call.
- Special Events: Please Call.
A word from Spice 28
Spice 28 specializes in Szechuan and Asian fusion cuisines with a full bar that offers signature cocktails and a wide selection of wines and beers. Our Cuisines feature traditional authentic Szechuan cuisines, and fusion of Japanese, Malaysian, Thai and Chinese cuisines. Not only our food are rich in flavors, and spices, they are also authentic and creative. You will find some of the most authentic dishes in modern plating, but you will also find the unique cuisine that you will not find elsewhere. Also, the important is that the restaurant was designed by an architect and newly built. The atmosphere is very hip, modern and vibrant. The service is excellent, prompt and friendly. You will not be disappointed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spice 28 reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (36)fit for foodies (36)neighborhood gem (23)great for lunch (19)vibrant bar scene (18)romantic (17)hot spot (15)special occasion (15)late-night find (10)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014I will continue to go back !! Great service great food !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More infoEttorestyleVIPDined on 10/18/2014The menu while very different the food good but some dishes to much spice and the pepper tuna was a bit cold and to much pepper you loose the taste of the food . More clarity on the menu would help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014This restaurant has a cool ambiance. I had coconut soup and yellow curry, which was average, not spectacular. Big portions. Attentive serviceSpecial Features:
- Great TimeHarveyDined on 9/26/2014It was my first time going there, let's just say I will going be back, the food and ambience was very nice and my waiter was very attentive and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014I had the indian pancake and pineapple chicken fried rice. Eveything was good Server was attentive and fastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!DateNightDinerDined on 9/17/2014Had a great time. Each item we ate was spicy and delicious. My boyfriend and I went during restaurant week. The food came out so quickly and everyone was so helpful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/16/2014The waiter was AWESOME, the food was AWESOME, and the drinks were AWESOME. I came here with no idea of how the food would taste or how the service would be and they blew me away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Legit food; bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014The place catches your eye with its vibrant colors on the sign and open-air seating at the front where it looks like they took the whole wall off so people could get the feel for some outdoor seating. The food was great too, but for restaurant week it took 45 mins to get my first course...a salad. And when it came it was so dry I regretted eating it. I Litterally had to go put more money in the parking meter while I ate. Was sad on that front. Assuming it was just a small hiccup in the service that night though, if reccomend this place. I enjoyed their pad Thai tremendouslySpecial Features:
- OkFrequentfoodieDined on 9/16/2014The food was ok. The ambience was ok. Nothing bad, nothing memorable.
- Great restaurantPhillyAngieDined on 9/16/2014The staff was friendly and attentive. The food was amazing and the pricing is very reasonable. Well worth the visit!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GenerousPlumdiggetyDined on 9/14/2014Went for Restaurant week and they were very generous with portions and courses. They were very heavy handed with the salt on my dish and with the dishes of my fellow dining companions. Loved the decor and the staff was very attentive. I would go back for sure.Special Features:
- delightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The ambiance is great and the place is cute. All of the food was amazing. The mango shrimp salad was so fresh and delicious. The shrimp tasted wonderful. The calamari appetizer had the best sauce. The drunken noodles were to die for. Everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above expectationsMomOnTheGoDined on 9/13/2014Six of us ate dinner here before the theatre. We expected quick, inexpensive food. We experienced so much more. Food was very memorable with all the plates picked clean. They also had a fun variety of drinks. We all left saying we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Food was amazingKCapDined on 9/12/2014I had the avacodo/crapmeat salad and it was delicious. I also had potstickers and then had the sea bass and shrimp with a chili sauce which was mildly spicy and excellent. Everything was delicious! My friend had the singapore noodles which were heavenly. I can't wait to go back. Oh the passion fruit cocktail was to die for! Our server was excellent, very friendly and attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great...JaimeeleeDined on 9/10/2014Drinks were delicious and apps were good, but I had to send back my extremely dry pad thai. Also sucked they ran out of most desserts, particularly the one I went there for :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Dining ExperienceBhodge184Dined on 9/9/2014The restaurant is a nice light airy environment. Good menu selection and good quality food preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Hidden GemFoodchaserVIPDined on 8/28/2014I think spice 28 is a center city hidden gem. The atmosphere is great .The menu has a great variety. I have dined here a few times and the service, food, and cocktails have been consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eat.DaveVIPDined on 8/16/2014Waitress was great and very helpful with suggestions. Place works for either 2 or a big group, music was subtle in background but was upbeat. Only draw back was the good wasn't hot, was nice mixture of spices and vegetables were fresh, just wish it was hotter when arrived!Special Features:
- Spicy GemCdkatzVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great restaurant with amazing flavors. This was my second time there in a month and I plan on going back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute date night spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Great for a dinner for two or more. Great food and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good pan-Asian mixViaRailOneDined on 8/1/2014Spice 28 is a small and often lively restaurant that serves a great mix of Asian dishes. There's a little Malaysian and Japanese and a strong selection of Chinese. It has a nice selection of wines by the glass and beers (and mixed drinks and wines by the bottle but on three visits I've never explored those options). The food is good and comes in all levels of spiciness and hotness. My wife, whose taste buds are rather conservative, can find options that she likes, as can my more adventurous son.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem on ChestnutDirtyDozenDined on 7/28/2014Love Spice! Great lunch and happy hour specials! The food was very good and the overall experience was great. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely AwesomenomcityDined on 7/6/2014This is the first time I am ever writing a review on a restaurant because that is just how fantastic Spice 28 was. Wow. The food was wonderful, with a very nice menu. The service was fantastic. My napkin fell on the floor and immediately the HOSTESS showed up with a new napkin. The waitresses were very personable and actually laughed and talked with you, rather than just take your order and leave. I highly recommend this place to anyone who wants Asian fusion food. It was a great price, great food, great atmosphere in a great neighborhood. My only complaint is the music was a bit loud, but it was alright.Special Features:
- Very pleased2004everDined on 7/4/2014My husband and I located this place as a last minute find. We were happy to celebrate our 10 year anniversary with great food and reasonably priced. We would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RishiDined on 7/4/2014They really need to get their act right. We were a group of six & we had to wait for almost 30 mins for our food & then we realised that my food was stone cold & another dish (pan seared salmon) was raw in the middle. My food was brought back after reaheating in the microwave which should not have been done as it had berries (which all disintegrated for that). Overall although the server was trying her level best to accomodate us, the food was really way below standard.Special Features:
- The following 165 reviews are from the Spice 28 reviews archive.
- perfectionkp22Dined on 6/20/2014Although I've been before and it was better, this time it was mediocre at best. Food wasn't as great as prior times. But I will remain loyal, and try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh.JamiDined on 6/15/2014Too loud, the waitress was really uncertain how to deal with food allergies (Despite me putting it on the reservation), and unwilling to check with the chefs. When eating the wrong thing can kill you, it's reasonable to want to confirm what's in things. Price wise, not great, not awful for a treat out, but portions were really small for the appetizers (part of the fun of fusion cuisine with multiple people is ordering a whole bunch of things and seeing how they go together). The sesame noodles were really bland, but redeemed by the addition of chili sauce. Most things were better when spicier, but even the things we requested spicy weren't THAT hot. (Though, in fairness, I'm a heat fiend.) Not bad, but not amazing either.Special Features:
- Spice 28vivid15Dined on 5/25/2014I googled philly restaurants and found this place. It's in a great location in the center city. The service and food was amazing. The drunken noodles were delicious and so was the tuna dumpling appetizer!Special Features:
- Eh..Kadesbully088Dined on 5/11/2014I went to spice 28 for Mother's Day with my boyfriend and his mother. The servers were great and very attentive. It took about 15 minutes to get 3 drinks. The place was empty. The salad was amazing. I only got an appetizer for dinner. It was good but very spicy. I think it was ok, but extremely over priced.
- Spice 28MargaretVIPDined on 5/10/2014This is such a fun restaurant and the food is quite nice. Service was fine, too, very sweet. The only issue: we weren't checked in as open table guests and had to resolve that by email. Quickly handled by Open Table!Special Features:
- Pricey but Great Happy Hour DealsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/8/2014We had a living social coupon so we were lucky. We had two beers, two apps, and 2 entrees for $80, everything was good, portions were average, our server was really nice. We were there for happy hour but we didn't know the specials were for the bar only.. next time we will go for happy hour instead!
- Fun place for dinnerPrince95Dined on 3/22/2014We were a group of 7. The place bit very big but they could accommodate us plus other large groups. It did get very loud so if you don't like that it's not for you. The cocktails were great and a bit strong. Enjoyed the small plates and soup. Entrees were good but had no spice at all, despite having a 2 fire very spicy symbol. We ordered green curry chicken and Thai basil chicken. We had 2 kids in the group and asked for their meals to be less spicy. Perhaps they mistakenly made ours have zero spice. I would go back but specify that I want the spice.Special Features:
- Great Asian modern restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2014Very happy I found this place. Service was good, excellent wine and cocktail selections and fantastic vibrant flavorful food around every corner. You could even go just for appetizers and be content.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2014Overall, we were happy with our meal. We're vegetarians and they make most of their entree dishes with tofu! Prices are very reasonable, good food and drinks, what more can you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Great ServiceKtSueDined on 3/18/2014The food at Spice28 was delicious! The ambiance is probably the best part though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worst service everfoodieVIPDined on 3/14/2014I went last Friday with a friend--it was the worst service I have ever had in my life. The waitress was so bad, it just seemed like she just walked in and they handed her an apron and said she could work. We had to ask for waters for the table TWICE, and they came AFTER our appetizers were served. She also had no knowledge of alcoholic beverages whatsoever and I was given the wrong order for food and drinks several times. To top it all off, she gave us the wrong check. The food was good, but not worth going back for such terrible service. Very disappointing.
- After work celebrationowenmonty1VIPDined on 3/14/2014I scheduled an early celebration dinner for after our department's full day retreat . We had been looking forward to the Dan Dan noodles with their Coconut bombs, Bengali IPA and grey goose Martinis. The appetizers were so good we doubled up and went light on entres. Two sakes later we had pineapple fried rice , shrimp, and tuna. The only slip up was my delicious Sea Bass which came 20 minutes after everyone was finished . The house offered deserts as an apology which we cheerfully accepted. Coming back with a party of 8 Monday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pan-Asian placeMeestaSeedsDined on 3/12/2014Dined here after reading some reviews on yelp and open table. Was a little skeptical at first seeing as the place was nearly empty. Turns out, it was nice that it wasn't crowded. Food was excellent with large portions. Our server, Alex, was very nice and attentive. The dandan noodles were my favorite but I also like the ahi tuna dumplings. The sea bass was cooked perfectly and was very tasty. We also had some kind of dry pepper chicken. While it was good for what it was, I don't think I could recommend it and wouldn't eat it again. Left kind of a weird aftertaste. I would definitely eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, potential to be noisyldoughDined on 3/9/2014The food was very flavorful. The service was great. I went at an off-peak time, and even with only 4 other tables full, it was pretty loud between people talking and music (which I think is mostly due to the design of the dining room). I can definitely see the potential for it to be noisy when the restaurant is full, as I read in other reviews. Overall the food was great, and I had an enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- good food!mgf1020VIPDined on 3/8/2014Our food was very good, but the service was a little slow. We had to wait for quite a while to get our drinks as we saw the finished drinks sitting at the bar, but our server did not bring them over right away...we had to ask. I think the the server was new adn seemed unsure of himself, but overall the dining exeperience was good.Special Features: