Spice - 1st Ave
1479 First Ave.
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Spice - 1st Ave
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spicethainyc.com/spice/home/index.html#
- Phone: 2127446374
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:30pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:30pm,
Friday - Saturday: 3:30pm - 11:30am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Takeout, Wine
A word from Spice - 1st Ave
Spice was first established in 1997 in the upper eastside with the concept to Americanize Thai food in a place with a modern decor. After enjoying our flavorful Thai food, sip on a Passion Fruit Bellini, Lynchee Martini or a half Carafe of refreshing Pink Asian Sangria. Our hope is that our specialty drinks will make you feel like you are on a beautiful beach in Thailand.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spice - 1st Ave reviews from OpenTable diners
- Large Group for Birthday DinnerSeemaDined on 8/10/2013We had a large group about 18 people for a birthday dinner. Even though half the restaurant was empty they had a hard time accommodating all of us. The food was average but the service was poor. There was an extra charge $2 per person for bringing in cake/cupcakes for the group of which everyone did not eat. There were only 12 cupcakes and 18 people. They did not serve the cake or any of the dishes or silverware for this but charged the extra money. When discussed with the management they gave a rude remark saying they did not appreciate our business. This was after paying the bill of $435 dollars for the entire party! I would not recommend this place for its service or hospitality. Especially not for a large group of people.Special Features:
- Food and service excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/8/2013I will definitely return. Lovely staff, very helpful and the good was terrific.Special Features:
- Clean, simple restaurant spaceSherylVIPDined on 6/12/2013Clean, simple restaurant space with a fabulous lunch menu -- including a free appetizer of your choice. Many options, tasty food (duck wrap appetizer was excellent) and very friendly, accommodating service. Definitely recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately, this locationOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/10/2013Unfortunately, this location has gone dramatically downhill since it moved to 1st avenue from 2nd avenue. Don't know what happened but I would not return to this Spice location. Other locations still have great food and ambience. This one needs a lot of work in the kitchen and needs an increase of staff on the floor!
- New York SavvyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/7/2013Definitely a New York restaurant with a loud ambiance and close knit quarters. I became friends with the people seated next to me. However they did not interrupt me while I was eating and the food and service were both outstanding. The portions are adequate, but not too large. The appetizers are good to be shared by two people. Again the food is delicious.Special Features:
- great prices for great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/5/2013great prices for great food. accommodated our open table reservation and were ready for us when we got thereSpecial Features:
- Poor service. Jasmine RicecdNYC10021VIPDined on 3/1/2013Poor service. Jasmine Rice is too small for Main Entree. Will never go back again to this place.
- COLD PLACE in Winter, Food HOTOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/25/2013The food was exceptional, and the waiter was great, but the host at the door was on the phone the whole time, while the poor waiters were trying to seat people. Unorganized. Also, the place was freezing near the door. It was cold outside and the did nothing to remedy that.
- The experience was good, butkmstVIPDined on 1/19/2013The experience was good, but not great. We thought the ambience of the location on the West Side was nicer. The bar dominates the space here.
- Delicious and very affordableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2013Delicious and very affordable Thai dishes! Very light on the chicken in the chicken padthai. i literally found one peice. The lunch portion will have you wanting more! Order the dinner and you'll have left overs! But overall good food.Special Features:
- Always good food. On a busyFromawayVIPDined on 1/18/2013Always good food. On a busy night service can get a little random but the food makes up for it.Special Features:
- The woman at the front deskOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/12/2013The woman at the front desk kept calling, worrying about my large reservation and made my group wait to sit, even though in the end our table had been free for a half hour. I had to ask another person to send us to the table. She sent all other groups right away to their table. Other than that the food and drinks were all wonderful, there was a lot of us but our food came in a timely manner. The waiter remembered everything that we ask for with no problem. The place is also small but I had a table of 13 people, so it was still alright for groups.Special Features:
- I found my food was very good;OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/11/2013I found my food was very good; however, my boyfriend felt that his Curry dish was not as described. Decently priced drinks is also a plus in NYC. Definitely will go back!Special Features:
- Our experience at Spice wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Our experience at Spice was avarage bordering on dismal. Its a small space with no more than 10 tables. We had a 7:30 reservation for a group of 6. When we came in, the restaurant wasnt even busy. We got menus when we were seated. As the minutes ticked away, a server finally showed up after 20 mins for our drinks order. By the time our table had our drinks an hour had passed. A group sitting directly next to us drinks AND food before us, even though we came in way before them! We had to remind the waitress several times and finally she got the point after an hour and service improved. The food was not great at all. I wouldnt have tipped except of course, it was automatically added. look elsewhere for Thai food, you can definitely do better
- Decent, but not anything special.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/15/2012We had to wait about 15 minutes even with a reservation. The waitstaff service was fast and the appetizers were good, but my entree was so-so. My friend's entrees were decent, but mine was really dry. I ordered the Honey Grilled Duck and I only 1/4 of it. I usually love duck.
- Terrible service. We got thereLocalReviewerVIPDined on 11/29/2012Terrible service. We got there at 7:30 on a Tuesday, and left at 9:50. We did not order any drinks and had 2 apps, and 2 entrees. Absolutely no reason that should take almost three hours, especially when the two top next to us (also 2) turnever over THREE TIMES while we were sitting there. Also one dish of each course was disappointing too: the curry puff appetizer tasted like it had been defrosted, and the "crispy pork" was a bland, chewy blob. Dumplings and pad thai were fine albeit completely expected.
- Tasty food but terrible hostessOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2012Tasty food but terrible hostess and mediocre server. Will hit up another location next time.
- What a great find! WonderfulFromawayVIPDined on 10/20/2012What a great find! Wonderful Thai food, nice surroundings and quiet enough for conversation. Portions were almost too big but were still good as left overs. After only one visit it has become one of our neighborhood favorites!Special Features:
- Went on a 2nd date to thisOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2012Went on a 2nd date to this restaurant for a 1st time. We both consider ourselves food critics. This place is inexpensive, has great food and good service. The bar is generous too. It's casual dinning. Reccomend for a date night out to dinner and a movie, etc.Special Features:
- great food but ...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/5/2012great food! huge portions (can easily be shared) and very spicy inattentive service. stingy about using their a/c, uncomfortably warm in summer.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/7/2012We had a great time... We love Thai food and were not disappointed. Food was good and service very friendly.The only slightly negative note was that I was sitting on one of there benches and whenever the person next to me was moving, I was bouncing!!! And since she moved a lot I bounced a lot :).Special Features: