980 North Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.spiaggiarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3122802750x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Tony Mantuano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Our events venue one floor above the dining room, is available for all your business or social entertaining needs. Customized to your preferences and wired for meetings and conferences, guests are afforded the opportunity to choose and personalize their menu. From intimate dinners and corporate events to weddings, social functions and celebrations, Spiaggia Private Events offers breathtaking views and modern Italian dining for groups of 110 guests.
- Cross Street: Oak Street
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Discounted parking is available for the main dining room of Spiaggia in the One Magnificent Mile building (entrance on northwest corner of Walton and Michigan, just west of Michigan Avenue) at 120 E. Walton.
From there, the elevator can be taken up to Level 2. An additional parking option is located in the building directly across the street at 1000 N Lake Shore Drive.
A word from Spiaggia
As Chicago’s only four-star Italian restaurant as rated by the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Magazine, the critically-acclaimed Spiaggia continues to evolve and modernize while remaining a leader for creative Italian cuisine. A complete redesign of the Dining Room and addition of the Spiaggia Lounge, paired with it's iconic views of Lake Michigan and Michigan Avenue, provide a setting unlike any other. Guests may explore a tasting menu, choose an a la carte experience and enjoy dramatically presented dishes and cocktails aperitivo-style in the Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Spiaggia reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (124)fit for foodies (111)notable wine list (102)romantic (96)scenic view (96)neighborhood gem (24)hot spot (19)good for groups (10)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- unexpected great Chef, deserves 2 ☆OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014Largest Italian wine list i ever seen, the young lady sommelier is outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is our 3rd time at this restaurant. The food was wonderful and the service was good.Special Features:
- The best restaurant in ChicagoKZMcDDined on 9/12/2014When asked my favorite restaurant in Chicago . . . Spiaggia. This is our first visit since the remodel and the vibe is fabulous. Still a special experience, beautiful atmosphere, great service, and spectacular food. Now, it's a bit less stuffy. The loosening of dress code has not impacted the ambiance; rather it has made it more comfortable. It was a wonderful, relaxing, and fulfilling evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AngeVIPDined on 9/10/2014Superb service and food. But the decor was spare and lackluster. White table cloths may be passé, but if we are spending 200$ on a meal, I don't want to feel like I'm eating at Panera Bread. The lighting was grim--as opposed to dim, which would be romantic. We did love the black titanium stemware though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014If you want to impress friends then I suggest Spaiggia. Great decor, very classy and contemporary. We had a window table, Views of the lake probably better in winter with no leaves on the trees. Great menu, hard to decide what to have. Great presentation and the ravioli was totally delicious, amazing flavours. Would re visit.Special Features:
- Always a PleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014It is wonderful to walk to such an excellent restaurant which is in our neighborhood. The food, service and ambiance are the best. The menu is creative without being cute. All the ingredients used are of the highest quality. We thank the kitchen and serving staff for a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/6/2014Beautiful restaurant, attentive staff but food is not up to par considering the entrees on the menu. Was expecting a good culinary experience but the dishes were "off" either to due to heavy use of salt drowning out the flavors or just being bland. Unfortunately the food presented did not match the attentiveness of wait staff nor the ambiance of the restaurant itself. For the price, the quality of food simply did not rise to the occasion
- Great food if you have $ to burnOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014The food was great, service wonderful, not too loud, but the portions small and extremely overpriced. Maybe try Café SpiaggiaSpecial Features:
- Highlight if our Chicago vacation!!KatypieDined on 9/6/2014Spiaggia was absolutely amazing! The food was truly art and also incredibly delicious. All of our dishes were so creative and innovative....a genius twist on classic Italian. Such a special memory for me and my husband! The best dining experience we have ever had hands down. The service was wonderful as well. The ambience and view were both great. I would highly recommend Spiaggia...it's an experience not to be missed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointinghiexpectDined on 9/6/2014The setting is lovely, the food very good but the lack of reasonably priced wine options (a $125 bottle of wine was described as an "entry" option to a particular varietal--and the prices for most options were double, triple, quadruple that...) and service that alternated between pleasant and seeming to forget our table entirely made the experience less than great. We won't be returning soon.Special Features:
- Oustanding Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014We dined at Spiaggia in celebration of our 43rd anniversary. We were warmly greeted and wished Happy Anniversary by the host. We had requested a seat by the windows and were seated there promptly. Our server was friendly and anticipated our every need. All wine and food was brought at an appropriate pace. We were not rushed in any way and were made to feel very special. The food was amazing. Our order included the gnocchi, ravioetto, turbo, and strip loin. All of these dishes were extremely well prepared and beautifully presented. Wine pairings, suggested by the sommelier, were excellent. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Always a treatDktenorDined on 9/5/2014Spiaggia is one of the best in town. The new renovation is upscale but I miss the intimacy of the old layout.Special Features:
- Great Renewal of a ClassicSpringfieldDined on 9/5/2014Excellent place! And really as good as before the renovation but with a more contemporary and relaxed set. The gnocchi are as good as I ever remember! The attention to detail and service is actually improved, but prices have gone up. Expect to spend 70-85 USD per person for a 2 course meal without wine or taxes (add 40 and up for wine + 18% service + taxes) but if you like a contemporary twist to Italian meals is well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40th Birthday Perfection...J3ssicaJam3sDined on 9/5/2014On my online reservation, I mentioned that it was my wife's 40th birthday and that I wanted it to be special. Upon arrival, the service was perfection. Multiple staff members stopped at our table and wished my wife a happy birthday. When the menu was delivered, they had pre-printed "Happy 40th Birthday" on the front. Regarding the food, this is not a "comfort food" environment. Ordering was a bit challenging but the staff quickly helped us overcome our uncertainty. The food was deliciously complex. This was one of the most elegant dining experiences we have ever had. The wine list was amazing and the staff also was very helpful in making selections here. I would highly recommend Spiaggia for your next special occasion.Special Features:
- Watch out for "recommendations"ExpensiveRecosVIPDined on 9/4/2014Food and ambiance were terrific as always. In the case of recommendations by waiters - watchout - they come at a cost. During our first visit, when asked for a beer suggestion, the waiter described a special feature beer that was delicious, but was excessively priced. On our most recent visit, I selected a wine only to be told that is was not available - but that there were two or three alternates they would suggest - and guess what - they came with a >30% higher price point. The food was great - but the price tag will always be more than you expect.Special Features:
- Spiaggia continues to excel!lansingmitchDined on 8/31/2014We come into Chicago from Lansing MI once or twice a year. We typically try 1 or 2 new places (we dined at River Roast - moderate pricing, a bit louder / more boisterous... great value, worth another visit) & 1 or 2 old favorites. I've probably dined at Spiaggia a dozen times over the past 15 years. I know that some folks complain about the portion sizes & others about the prices but I think it's totally worth it. This time I grazed - I did the scallop, fois gras ravioli & the truffled gnocchi. The gnocchi would be on my list of favorite dishes ANYWHERE and that includes Alain Ducasse and other Michelin rated restaurants. Our server was David, the sommelier Anika and the team is always there but not overbearing - the service rocks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dining ExperienceJPS1VIPDined on 8/31/2014From start to finish the food, wine, and service was EXCELLENT! Highly recommend the delicious tasting menu with wine pairings. Each course was timed perfectly. The chef accomodated a few allergies with substitutions. The remodel is beautiful, very modern, and stylish- down to napkins and flatware. Passionate about great food and great wine sums up the attitude of every member of the Spiaggia Team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed Spiaggial We are not sure how many others could afford a $4.00 tall, slender Coke and question some of the expenses. Our appetizers and first entrees were excellent. That said, who knew a simple Capresse Salad would cost $20??? A little extreme, we believe. However, given that it was our anniversary, we indulged. Other than the app and first course, we declined due to price.Special Features:
- A Special PlacceSplPlcDined on 8/23/2014The service was top rate and the food very unique. Great special occasion restaurant with a great view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Modern AmbianceSpiaggiaDined on 8/22/2014The food was exceptional. Ambiance is minimal and modern, staff professional and attentive. Spiaggia is a perfect location for a special occasion, romantic evening, or foodie indulgence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014We were very excited to hear of Spiaggia's four star rating and wanted to experience their "reopening" after the renovations. Food was very good but service was not even at the level of a two star restaurant. A huge delay in ordering and in the presentation of the food courses. Waiters' dress code should be consistent, it came off as sloppy. A very expensive dinner tab for a disappointing evening.Special Features:
- ANTONIODined on 8/19/2014BEAUTIFUL FOOD, OUTSTANDING SERVICE, MAKING EVERYTHING TO ACCOMODATE OUR NEEDS, WINE SUGGESTIONS WERE A PERFECT MATCHSpecial Features:
- Special time at SpiaggiaDRGilbDined on 8/19/2014Dining at Spiaggia is special and was perfect for celebrating our wedding anniversary. We requested a nice table for two with a view and it was delivered (Thanks OpenTable). We also noted that it was our anniversary and the desert presentation was upgraded from six delightful morsels to twelve, complements of the chef. The food was extraordinary, though not what I would call typically Italian, the chianti was very good for the low price of $90 on Spiaggia's expansive and expensive wine list, and the service was very good, polite and formal. Overall, a wonderful two-hour celebration. Thanks!Special Features:
- New Face Great Food and ServiceFreqTravelerVIPDined on 8/19/2014You never know after the renovation if the diner will receive the same experience. All is well at Spiaggia. Food as delicious as ever and the service spot on!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceEdwardBarriosDined on 8/19/2014We enjoyed the 6-course meal. The service was great, from the host, wait staff, sommelier, et al.Special Features:
- Thank you SpiaggiaFantasticDined on 8/17/2014Wow! As an avid foodie it is not often one bite of food stands out as remarkable -- try the yellow fin crudo and prepare yourself! OUTSTANDING!Special Features:
- Fantastic Evening!GoodFoodLoversDined on 8/17/2014My wife and I celebrated our 35th anniversary dinner at Spiaggia. Great food with attentive service including sommelier, Carlos Diaz. Wonderful evening and we would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, worse ambianceGreen123Dined on 8/16/2014Compared to the previous Spiaggia, the food and service remain outstanding. The renovation is is good if you like plain brown tables in a very noisy environment filled with sound reflecting surfaces. And the special occasion room is not sound isolated. We had a wedding going on and it's music contributed to the general background.Special Features:
- Pleasant ChangeUnderwhelmedVIPDined on 8/16/2014We have dined at Spiaggia in the past, and we were very sad to see it close for renovations, but the change has been worth it. Very nicely updated space and the Menu seems like they are having a little more fun. Still have a lot of the classics on the menu, but there are some really interesting culinary experimentations that I will be returning for. Looking forward to dining again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningvad1984Dined on 8/16/2014Everything about my experience at Spiaggia was fantastic - the food, the service, the ambiance, etc. I was there to celebrate my 30th birthday, and the team at Spiaggia went above and beyond to make my dinner extra special. Be sure to order the foie gras ravioli - you won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PretentiousPattyDined on 8/16/2014Unlike every single time I have been to Spiagga as for many, many years, I was disappointed. When I was in Chicago a year ago, I went for dinner, had a delightful waiter and great food. It was not inexpensive but was well worth every penny. From the table I was texting my friends about how wonderful it was. Until last week, that had always been my experience there. Last Saturday all four of us thought our waiter was not very nice, sort of snotty and pretentious. W thought the whole entire thing was pretentious. I find it a complete turn-off when a menu says something like "chlorophyll" instead od lettuce or greens. The entire menu was full of descriptions like that. What a joke! Just tell it like it is.Special Features:
- OutstandingA2VinceVIPDined on 8/15/2014The "total experience" is great. Everything from the attentive yet unobtrusive staff, the fabulous food and the overall ambience. Had the tasting menu with the wine pairing. It was a fabulous, well-designed pairing and made for a wonderful evening in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingSouthSubReviewerDined on 8/14/2014Food was just OK. Nothing I put in my mouth made me say "wow." Everything tasted fine but not delicious. Very bland. Portions are so tiny you will need a second meal after dining here. I was told this is the best Italian restaurant in the city but definitely not. Unless someone else is paying for your dinner, skip it.Special Features:
- Overpriced foodTitoyreinisDined on 8/1/2014A person me and my wife met recommended us Spiaggia cafe but we ended up at the restaurant not realizing the Cafe was next door. The service by the staff was very good and pleasant but really the food was way overpriced and not of our liking at all. Also the menu choices were very limited and hard to understand. We had overall a very good dining experience in most of our trip un chicago except in this restaurant mainly for the food taste, portions and ridiculous price. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying good money for a good dinner but this definitely wasn't our style at all. The service was very good though but then again is the least you could expect for such high prices. The location and ambiance was good just not the food.Special Features:
- Boringumn1960VIPDined on 7/26/2014It simply was boring!!!! The food, if you like fancy looks but no taste, it would be perfect.Special Features:
- Night at SpiaggiaereckertDined on 7/26/2014I took my wife to dinner at Spiaggia for her birthday on our recent trip to Chicago. The atmosphere was great, the food was great, the wine was great, the service was great, the whole experience was great! Thank you Spiaggia for making her birthday dinner special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2014Get the gnocchi or ravioli. The best we've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary ExperienceThought4FoodVIPDined on 7/23/2014The only thing better than the service was the food! Delicious blend of unexpected flavors. Smaller portions, but we didn't leave hungry! As soon as I stood up to find a restroom, there was a waitress at my side ready to show me the way! Top notch!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/20/2014Excellent in every respect albeit pricy. The servers were knowledgable and helpful without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealPaulDined on 7/19/2014Spiaggia lived up to its reputation on our last visit. Food was top notch - gnocchi and foie gras ravioli were both some of the better pasta dishes I've had. Nothing too special about the bread/crisps before the meal, but the gamberi and desserts were also flavorful and interesting. Service was extremely attentive, only qualm would be the slight pushiness to order an additional third course when all we ordered was pasta due to not being extremely hungry. Finally, the ambiance is great - good work on the refurbished, light interior and of course the views through the huge windows were perfect on a Saturday evening.Special Features: