980 North Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.spiaggiarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3122802750x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Tony Mantuano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Our events venue one floor above the dining room, is available for all your business or social entertaining needs. Customized to your preferences and wired for meetings and conferences, guests are afforded the opportunity to choose and personalize their menu. From intimate dinners and corporate events to weddings, social functions and celebrations, Spiaggia Private Events offers breathtaking views and modern Italian dining for groups of 110 guests.
- Cross Street: Oak Street
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Discounted parking is available for the main dining room of Spiaggia in the One Magnificent Mile building (entrance on northwest corner of Walton and Michigan, just west of Michigan Avenue) at 120 E. Walton.
From there, the elevator can be taken up to Level 2. An additional parking option is located in the building directly across the street at 1000 N Lake Shore Drive.
A word from Spiaggia
As Chicago’s only four-star Italian restaurant as rated by the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Magazine, the critically-acclaimed Spiaggia continues to evolve and modernize while remaining a leader for creative Italian cuisine. A complete redesign of the Dining Room and addition of the Spiaggia Lounge, paired with it's iconic views of Lake Michigan and Michigan Avenue, provide a setting unlike any other. Guests may explore a tasting menu, choose an a la carte experience and enjoy dramatically presented dishes and cocktails aperitivo-style in the Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Spiaggia reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (122)fit for foodies (113)notable wine list (94)romantic (86)scenic view (83)neighborhood gem (16)hot spot (14)good for groups (9)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Always Glad to be at SpiaggaFreqTravelerVIPDined on 10/21/2014When in Chicago I like to have a meal here. The quality of ingredients is splendid but since the redo things seem to be a bit more frantic than in the old days or maybe it was just the nightSpecial Features:
- great service, ok foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Our service was excellent, everything I would expect from a restaurant of this caliber. Unfortunately the food did not match up to the expectations. As a vegetarian, our waiter recommended for me to order a main from the secondi menu, I chose the gnocchi and was assured that it is delicious. Instead it was so salty that it nearly burned my mouth, both of my dining commissions tried it (without my saying it was salty first) and both noticed how bad it was. The beet salad I had as a starter was mediocre at best, the beets were just not flavorful at all, I've had much better in California where I live. My companions both enjoyed their meals, but for the price, and reputation, we all expected better.
- Amazing transformation!!chgomomX2VIPDined on 10/18/2014Our last experience at the stuffy Spiaggia was memorable ......and NOT in a positive way! But our return this past weekend was amazing. The service (as usual) was spot on.......!! We asked for some assistance selecting wine...she was very friendly and selected a few amazing and perfect wines!! The food was outstanding.....everyone at our table ordered a different main course (we did not do the chef tasting) and everybody loved theirs and their 'tastes' of the other dishes. I would highly recommend revisiting the new Spiaggia!! There were a few allergies at the table and they were very willing to accommodate!!Special Features:
- Absolutely incredible!EvaseyesDined on 10/16/2014The food and wine here are incomparable! Thank you for yet another memorable dining experience, Spiaggia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWSOMEswileyfoodyDined on 10/16/2014Flew in from out of state specifically to try Spiaggia for a special dinner with my one and only. Was excellent. I had emailed and spoken with the staff in the days prior to arriving and they had set up the table and met all of my special requests. All was as planned upon our arrival. Champagne, roses and a handwritten card among other items awaited our arrival. The food and presentation was exquisite! Perfection! I cannot say enough about the experience we had. This was my/our fist dinner at Spiaggia and it will not be our last. Was worth the travel to Chicago! THANK YOU Spiaggia!Special Features:
- Great meal!kymanDined on 10/12/2014In town for a conference, and enjoyed a wonderful meal at Spiaggia. The wine selections, while pricey, were quite extensive. Food was perfectly prepared and service was spot-on. The sommelier did an especially nice job helping us to pair wines with our food selections.Special Features:
- Nice view and decor, too expensiveInttravelerDined on 10/12/2014Salon is beautifully decorated and their whites and blacks really set your mood to live a special occasion. Where I do not get it is why they have to behave so snobbish. We had a 19:15 reservation and tried to move it to 20:15, to complete some businesses. Since we never got confirmation for this change, we showed at 7:15 sharp, when informed that our reservation was actually moved, so we will have to wait in the bar. All right, our fault to not confirm the change but then we could see there were 3 or 4 empty tables, and remained so until the time we were sited...at 20:15! Dudes, you are going to charge us for the cocktails, no matter what, why not set the table for your already present patrons? No show on time, no table? That is cheapSpecial Features:
- NEED TO GET THEIR ACT TOGETHEROpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/10/2014There were lots of servers but most seemed untrained and our waiter did not know how to describe the entrees and drew a blank on three. The wine stewart was not familiar with the wine list and the staff seems to be more interested in chatting than servicing the clients. We had reserved way in advance and were placed in a booth near the bar. If they want to be a Michelin star they need to get their act together
- outstanding dinner experienceBriggiDined on 10/8/2014We had a wonderful evening at Spiaggia, the food was outstanding, the wine list extensive, the service impeccable and the newly renovated restaurant a pleasure to be in. All in all a wonderful and memorable evening.Special Features:
- Delicious & Beautifullly PresentedOnvacationVIPDined on 10/8/2014The scallop and fois gras appetizer was sooooo good, and the tiny desserts was cute and tasty.Special Features:
- Best for high rollers.tadaDined on 10/8/2014Sure, it's expensive, as are so many. But you'd better be a high-rolling business customer to get the best treatment. First, our request for a window table was ignored, and yet the very window table that was available was given to someone else twenty minutes later. Then our waiter tried to pawn off a lower-price bottle of wine as the one we had ordered. Apparently they were out of what we ordered, but he clearly assumed we would not know the difference. In short - if you are out to wow out-of-town customers, great place. If you there to be respected and valued for the hundreds of dollars you will spend on one dinner... perhaps try another location.Special Features:
- TennismikeDined on 10/6/2014Over priced in general, wine prices 3x retail and then someSpecial Features:
- The best of the best!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/4/2014Perfection on every level. Every bite was heaven, every sense was engaged. The presentation, the depth if the flavors, the textures, the smells... This is the top tier of fine dining. We had a magical anniversary dinner here and it was worth every penny.Special Features:
- Disappointed with updatesLookingforanexcellentmealDined on 10/4/2014Have been to Spiaggia 5 times & found it quite enjoyable.Not this time.If you want to attract the"in"crowd then you have done the right thing.But doubt you will see Michelin star next time.The music was a little loud & choice was that of a looped bar scene music-making one feel rushed & hyper.Service was good but not as good as before & I wasn't wild about khakis & plaid shirts some servers wearing while others wore suits-I assume to show the serving hierarchy but come on when you've decided to have no dress code for your customers(which is fine if they want that).Food choices were more limited:beet salad ok,risotto excellent,veal chop ok,would have preferred full size dessert.Feeling of a highclass restaurant is no longer there.Special Features:
- Tasting menudlm1Dined on 10/3/2014Average food, good wine. We were both very disappointed in the quality of the tasting menu. I wouldn't recommend it or go back.Special Features:
- RidiculousWHS1Dined on 9/27/2014It was if we were in a satirical movie about a pretentious chef serving a sprinkle, glaze, and fairy dust over a whisper of platitude. Ridiculously small servings of color and interpretation presented as food type substances. If you enjoy going to a restaurant after an expensive meal of sour cheese served over four grape tomatoes followed by ten milligrams of admittedly very tasty rice then this is place for you. Otherwise, I would stay home and get the same experience by eating a sardine on melba toast with your eyes closed. A fine restaurant gone bat chic.
- Daughter's birthdayBignightoutDined on 9/27/2014My daughter the vegetarian asked the chef to freelance on a dish, and the grilled veggies and mushrooms were excellent. Rest of the food was quite good, and the gelato and sorbet for dessert fabulous.Special Features:
- Won't ReturnSJ59VIPDined on 9/25/2014Sorry to report that the former glory of this restaurant is long gone. We returned after several years to celebrate a birthday. Service timing was off and inexcusable for a restaurant of this level. The menu has lost the beauty and joy that it once provided, replaced by very small portions of average and over salted food...for high prices. We won't be returning. There are just so many better options in Chicago these days, and it seems to me that in trying to catch up with some of the newer places, Spiaggia has failed to be itself and to compete with others.
- EcstasyEatiepeopleDined on 9/23/2014The food was beautiful, well presented and absolutely delicious. The service was especially great. I don't like waiters hovering over me but I appreciate being taken good care of. This was the most attentive staff, I was left feeling important and cared about. The visit was a great experience.Special Features:
- OutstandingnomdecenaVIPDined on 9/22/2014Business dinner from a la carte menu with very attentive service. Ordered excellent Italian Mayer Lagrein. Waiter then thoughtfully brought tasting of Californian Lagrein for comparison. The risotto and chiarterra pasta were fantastic. Pasta was presented in unusual china bowl that had indentation for easy twirling. Veal chop's presentation was edible art; long bone attached with greens and cheese wafer on top. Pork was superb and covered in veal au jus. House made gelato and sorbetos were very good, particularly banana with chocolate chips. Go and listen to the waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suz320Dined on 9/22/2014The restaurant service is top notch service and the food is extremely upscale, phenomenal. The lounge was a bit disappointing service wise and for the wine pour.Special Features:
- luv2dineVIPDined on 9/21/2014A great experience, albeit very expensive. I did the chef's menu with wine pairing. All of the wines were perfectly paired with each tasting course. Each course was beautifully presented and quality ingredients were used. For the $300 price, for one person, I would have liked to see more "wow" on my taste buds. But that said, the whole dining experience was lovely and warrants a special occasion visit. I would return once a year.
- DisappointinghappyeaterVIPDined on 9/21/2014The service was perfect, the wine was excellent, the food was disappointing. At this price point, the food needs to be a steady yum, yum. The scallop appetizer was a B+, the chitarra was a c-, the veal chop was a little fatty and undercooked, the roast pork main was an A and the desserts were a B. Happier at Bar Toma or Terzo Piano or Piccolo Sogno, to name just a few.
- OVERRATEDgingerpupDined on 9/20/2014My daughter and I dined at Spiaggia during my weekend visit with her. I was not impressed with the presentation OR the flavors. In my opinion, the chef tries too hard to create novel combinations of ingredients. I have dined at some of the best restaurants in the world, and have an appreciation for creative tastes incorporated into offerings on a menu. I would not recommend this restaurant. The dishes had NO resemblance to Italian food.Special Features:
- Nice but PriceyShelDined on 9/20/2014Food was good; service was good; ambiance was good - now if the final bill had been good instead of outrageous it would have been 5 star!Special Features:
- Tasting MenulooplisaVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had the tasting menu with the wine pairing on Saturday night. The food and wine were outstanding, the service not so much. They really dropped the ball on serving/timing. We also ordered a round of cocktails as soon as we sat down, and didn't even get half way through them when they started serving the first course. Loved the food, disappointed with the service.Special Features:
- Beautiful Renovation!Jennie35Dined on 9/20/2014We all enjoyed our evening at Spiaggia, but I am not sure I would return. The renovation is beautiful and the setting looking out the large windows onto Michigan Ave and the lake is great. We had some things which were exceptional and some that were not. The amuse bouche was a prosciutto and peach dish and was just sublime. My gnocchi was fantastic as well. My main course was described as suckling pig. I was not expecting sweetbread. I feel like a warning should come with that. I gave it a fair shake, but it was just not good. My husband, who is always up for anything, agreed. One of my sons loved the salmon. The pastries for dessert were fine, but nothing great. The waiter brought some complimentary gelato out at the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good experienceGaynellVIPDined on 9/19/2014My sister & I were visiting Chicago and wanted to try this restaurant. We knew it was upscale when we made the reservation. It was a good experience but very pricey.Special Features:
- Top Notch RestoCreativeDined on 9/18/2014The food was really outstanding. Very attentive and helpful waiters. Extensive wine list. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Must Try RestaurantDLubinVIPDined on 9/17/2014Of the hundreds of restaurants I've frequented in Chicago, many of which I write about and review on my and other websites, this is my favorite. The food is amazing, refreshed decor gorgeous, and staff extremely helpful. I have never had better gnocchi (including in Italy), kampachi, or gelati (salted caramel). Spiaggia is dependably outstanding, unlike many "hipper" alternatives. I strongly recommend this exceptional restaurant.Special Features:
- unexpected great Chef, deserves 2 ☆starinspectorDined on 9/14/2014Largest Italian wine list i ever seen, the young lady sommelier is outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is our 3rd time at this restaurant. The food was wonderful and the service was good.Special Features:
- The best restaurant in ChicagoKZMcDDined on 9/12/2014When asked my favorite restaurant in Chicago . . . Spiaggia. This is our first visit since the remodel and the vibe is fabulous. Still a special experience, beautiful atmosphere, great service, and spectacular food. Now, it's a bit less stuffy. The loosening of dress code has not impacted the ambiance; rather it has made it more comfortable. It was a wonderful, relaxing, and fulfilling evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AngeVIPDined on 9/10/2014Superb service and food. But the decor was spare and lackluster. White table cloths may be passé, but if we are spending 200$ on a meal, I don't want to feel like I'm eating at Panera Bread. The lighting was grim--as opposed to dim, which would be romantic. We did love the black titanium stemware though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014If you want to impress friends then I suggest Spaiggia. Great decor, very classy and contemporary. We had a window table, Views of the lake probably better in winter with no leaves on the trees. Great menu, hard to decide what to have. Great presentation and the ravioli was totally delicious, amazing flavours. Would re visit.Special Features:
- Always a PleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014It is wonderful to walk to such an excellent restaurant which is in our neighborhood. The food, service and ambiance are the best. The menu is creative without being cute. All the ingredients used are of the highest quality. We thank the kitchen and serving staff for a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/6/2014Beautiful restaurant, attentive staff but food is not up to par considering the entrees on the menu. Was expecting a good culinary experience but the dishes were "off" either to due to heavy use of salt drowning out the flavors or just being bland. Unfortunately the food presented did not match the attentiveness of wait staff nor the ambiance of the restaurant itself. For the price, the quality of food simply did not rise to the occasion
- Great food if you have $ to burnOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014The food was great, service wonderful, not too loud, but the portions small and extremely overpriced. Maybe try Café SpiaggiaSpecial Features:
- Highlight if our Chicago vacation!!KatypieDined on 9/6/2014Spiaggia was absolutely amazing! The food was truly art and also incredibly delicious. All of our dishes were so creative and innovative....a genius twist on classic Italian. Such a special memory for me and my husband! The best dining experience we have ever had hands down. The service was wonderful as well. The ambience and view were both great. I would highly recommend Spiaggia...it's an experience not to be missed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointinghiexpectDined on 9/6/2014The setting is lovely, the food very good but the lack of reasonably priced wine options (a $125 bottle of wine was described as an "entry" option to a particular varietal--and the prices for most options were double, triple, quadruple that...) and service that alternated between pleasant and seeming to forget our table entirely made the experience less than great. We won't be returning soon.Special Features: