980 North Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.spiaggiarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (312) 280-2750
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Tony Mantuano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Our events venue one floor above the dining room, is available for all your business or social entertaining needs. Customized to your preferences and wired for meetings and conferences, guests are afforded the opportunity to choose and personalize their menu. From intimate dinners and corporate events to weddings, social functions and celebrations, Spiaggia Private Events offers breathtaking views and modern Italian dining for groups of 110 guests.
- Cross Street: Oak Street
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: The valet is located near 121 E. Oak street near Tod's.
$14 for up to 3 hours and $18 after 3 hours.
Additional parking is available in the One Magnificent Mile building (entrance on northwest corner of Walton and Michigan, just west of Michigan Avenue) at 120 E. Walton.
From there, the elevator can be taken up to Level 2.
A word from Spiaggia
As Chicago’s only four-star Italian restaurant as rated by the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Magazine, the critically-acclaimed Spiaggia continues to evolve and modernize while remaining a leader for creative Italian cuisine. A complete redesign of the Dining Room and addition of the Spiaggia Lounge, paired with it's iconic views of Lake Michigan and Michigan Avenue, provide a setting unlike any other. Guests may explore a tasting menu, choose an a la carte experience and enjoy dramatically presented dishes and cocktails aperitivo-style in the Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spiaggia reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (124)fit for foodies (116)notable wine list (93)romantic (90)scenic view (83)neighborhood gem (19)good for groups (13)hot spot (13)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- GrandCuisineVIPDined on 11/23/2014An amazing dining experience. Cuisine, wine and service came together perfectly! The new renovation of the room is absolutely beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, overpriced winefloridianDined on 11/15/2014Took a very significant other to Spiaggia. Nice environment, good service, very good and somewhat unusual food. Tagliolini was bland, everything else (diver scallop, tagliatelle, cervo, ..) was excellent with some unique presentations and flavors. As others have reported, wine prices are extortionate to the point of reducing the pleasure of dining. Looking in advance at the wine list, I was interested in a Gattinara at $160. A search showed that Binney's (Chicago wine store) had the exact vintage, regular price $45, on sale for $40. These are typical Spiaggia markups. I often simply refuse to order wine in protest, but this was to be a special meal, so we had Champagne followed by a red, by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect nightperfectDined on 11/13/2014We went to spiaggia for my mothers birthday hoping to show her a wonderful night. Spiaggia was even better than my expectations. Flawless service, perfect food, and beautiful view. They made sure to make her feel special and she loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for couplesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/12/2014Our review is based on our experience as a party of two. Our table, and it seems most tables for two, are sandwiched between booths for 4 or 5 and tables for 4. This arrangement does not make for a quiet evening of conversation when the patrons at these other tables are boisterous. The window tables that overlook the city are for parties of three or four. The food and service are quite good, although the price point is certainly on the upper end. All in all not a place for couples, but one for larger groups and those on expense accounts.
- Celebrate Good TimesChicagoJoeDined on 11/7/2014Went for our 10 year wedding anniversary and we were treated well. Food was great. Staff attentive and helpful without being overbearing. They assisted us in navigating an intimidating wine list and make some nice menu choices. Perfect for special occasions. The Carbobara was spectacular, the charcuterie excellent and steak cooked to perfection. Try the salted caramel gelato. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I never wirte reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014The dinner was great. I will be going here again! The Carpaccio was AMAZING!!! very very nice restaurant.Special Features:
- Spectacular dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014We had the tasting menu with the white truffles and the wine flight. Pretty pricy, but one of the best meals I have had.Special Features:
- DecadenceSpiaggiaDined on 11/3/2014This was one of the best, no - wait, this was the best meal I have ever had. It was super expensive (over $300 for 1 person included 3 courses with wine pairing and tip.) However, I did not have any buyers remorse. White truffles are in season, and you can smell it's rich lovely earthiness. I highly recommend this restaurant for those looking for an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime experience; or more than once if you can afford it.Special Features:
- EXcellentPapermanVIPDined on 11/3/2014Everything was excellent!! The food was out of this world, the waiters and staff were all top shelf. Told an important client for dinner and we were all treated like royalty. A little pricey but worth every penny!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner, October 31, 2014. Specialoutoftowner1Dined on 10/31/2014One entree was barely warm and was sent back to be heated. It was pork. The pasta with langostinos, etc, also had hot pepper added which was not noted on the menu. I would not have ordered this dish had I know it had hot pepper in it. Server offered to replace it, but I declined. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpiaggiabenlVIPDined on 10/29/2014over the top prices for better than average food and excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Not a good valueRickDined on 10/29/2014This restaurant was highly rated for its food and ambiance. The ambiance was very nice but the food was just fair, especially for the price. Part of my issue is that I am not a big truffle fan and most selections were offered with truffles. And while I ordered without truffles the whole restaurant smelled like truffles. The wine selection is all Italian which restricts pairing.
- Terrific RestaurantHungrygypsy65Dined on 10/28/2014Our meal here was wonderful and the service was great. We had a nice table by the window which was a nice addition and the staff was very helpful on wine choices as well as preparing the dish without certain ingredients that I could not eat (mushrooms), and still made it absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- Mostly Hits, Few MissesCherylDined on 10/26/2014After mixed reviews, we were pleased to have a generally outstanding meal. While service started slow, it was excellent. Wine selections were superb. The antipasti's were terrific. The crudo had a wonderful mix of spicy, salty, citrus, and fresh. Pastas were outstanding. Despite not recommending the carbonara, it was fantastic. The tagliatelle with langoustines had a marvelous sauce, but the pasta was a bit tough and there was virtually no langoustine - the little on the plate was overcooked. The branzino was wonderful - but the pickling flavors in the vegetables and the sauce competed with the delicious fish. Desserts were fun, but so-so. Stick with the sorbets and gelatos - which were terrific.Special Features:
- BlissfulCoolbreezeVIPDined on 10/26/2014Spiaggia serves food you will not get anywhere else, in an elegant setting, and with impeccable service. I was merely visiting Chicago, which has many excellent choices, and the meal at Spiaggia was superb, with nuanced and brilliant flavors. The dishes are small but exquisite. I had raw venison, more or less to dare myself, and it was heavenly. The pasta was lighter than any I've eaten, and my duck was perfect.Special Features:
- Remodel too modernAliciamarieDined on 10/25/2014Was here 8 years ago and loved! Newly remodeled, No table cloths!? Really? Did not have that same vibe as I had before.. Food was good but not above avagre .. Wine was good .. Not as romantic as I remember it to be .. I was disappointedSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Great food and wine pairing. D Courses on tasting menu got larger as it progressed. Plenty of great food and variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNettieDined on 10/25/2014Overall small portions, my dish was so rare, returned to kitchen and other guests completed dinner before I started mine. The white fish was such a small portion our guest made a joke of it. Hated no table cloths, we had to suggest to the waiter to wipe the table between servings. Always loved Spiaggi, will not be my first choice again, very pricey for portions.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDINGOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014Great venue! My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at Spiaggia. OUTSTANDING covers all aspects.Special Features:
- Below expectationsKingofingsDined on 10/23/2014I was there two years ago and had a magnificent meal and service to match. Unfortunately, this time, the food was mediocre as well as the service. The food was heavily salted and the waiter did not come by in order to check on our satisfaction. Wow this restaurant still remains very good, it did not live up to my expectations and has a long way to go to return to its top statusSpecial Features:
- Always Glad to be at SpiaggaFreqTravelerVIPDined on 10/21/2014When in Chicago I like to have a meal here. The quality of ingredients is splendid but since the redo things seem to be a bit more frantic than in the old days or maybe it was just the nightSpecial Features:
- great service, ok foodCaitlinDined on 10/21/2014Our service was excellent, everything I would expect from a restaurant of this caliber. Unfortunately the food did not match up to the expectations. As a vegetarian, our waiter recommended for me to order a main from the secondi menu, I chose the gnocchi and was assured that it is delicious. Instead it was so salty that it nearly burned my mouth, both of my dining commissions tried it (without my saying it was salty first) and both noticed how bad it was. The beet salad I had as a starter was mediocre at best, the beets were just not flavorful at all, I've had much better in California where I live. My companions both enjoyed their meals, but for the price, and reputation, we all expected better.
- Perfect for Special OccasionsBenjaminDined on 10/18/2014This is the ideal place to celebrating a special occasion with a small group of friends and family. The food and service were exceptional. While the website says dress/sport coats for men are not required, looking around the dining room would suggest they are highly recommended since most of the men were wearing them. Other than the feeling of being under dressed, it was a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing transformation!!chgomomX2VIPDined on 10/18/2014Our last experience at the stuffy Spiaggia was memorable ......and NOT in a positive way! But our return this past weekend was amazing. The service (as usual) was spot on.......!! We asked for some assistance selecting wine...she was very friendly and selected a few amazing and perfect wines!! The food was outstanding.....everyone at our table ordered a different main course (we did not do the chef tasting) and everybody loved theirs and their 'tastes' of the other dishes. I would highly recommend revisiting the new Spiaggia!! There were a few allergies at the table and they were very willing to accommodate!!Special Features:
- Absolutely incredible!EvaseyesDined on 10/16/2014The food and wine here are incomparable! Thank you for yet another memorable dining experience, Spiaggia!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWSOMEswileyfoodyDined on 10/16/2014Flew in from out of state specifically to try Spiaggia for a special dinner with my one and only. Was excellent. I had emailed and spoken with the staff in the days prior to arriving and they had set up the table and met all of my special requests. All was as planned upon our arrival. Champagne, roses and a handwritten card among other items awaited our arrival. The food and presentation was exquisite! Perfection! I cannot say enough about the experience we had. This was my/our fist dinner at Spiaggia and it will not be our last. Was worth the travel to Chicago! THANK YOU Spiaggia!Special Features:
- Great meal!kymanDined on 10/12/2014In town for a conference, and enjoyed a wonderful meal at Spiaggia. The wine selections, while pricey, were quite extensive. Food was perfectly prepared and service was spot-on. The sommelier did an especially nice job helping us to pair wines with our food selections.Special Features:
- Nice view and decor, too expensiveInttravelerDined on 10/12/2014Salon is beautifully decorated and their whites and blacks really set your mood to live a special occasion. Where I do not get it is why they have to behave so snobbish. We had a 19:15 reservation and tried to move it to 20:15, to complete some businesses. Since we never got confirmation for this change, we showed at 7:15 sharp, when informed that our reservation was actually moved, so we will have to wait in the bar. All right, our fault to not confirm the change but then we could see there were 3 or 4 empty tables, and remained so until the time we were sited...at 20:15! Dudes, you are going to charge us for the cocktails, no matter what, why not set the table for your already present patrons? No show on time, no table? That is cheapSpecial Features:
- NEED TO GET THEIR ACT TOGETHEROpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/10/2014There were lots of servers but most seemed untrained and our waiter did not know how to describe the entrees and drew a blank on three. The wine stewart was not familiar with the wine list and the staff seems to be more interested in chatting than servicing the clients. We had reserved way in advance and were placed in a booth near the bar. If they want to be a Michelin star they need to get their act together
- outstanding dinner experienceBriggiDined on 10/8/2014We had a wonderful evening at Spiaggia, the food was outstanding, the wine list extensive, the service impeccable and the newly renovated restaurant a pleasure to be in. All in all a wonderful and memorable evening.Special Features:
- Delicious & Beautifullly PresentedOnvacationVIPDined on 10/8/2014The scallop and fois gras appetizer was sooooo good, and the tiny desserts was cute and tasty.Special Features:
- Best for high rollers.tadaDined on 10/8/2014Sure, it's expensive, as are so many. But you'd better be a high-rolling business customer to get the best treatment. First, our request for a window table was ignored, and yet the very window table that was available was given to someone else twenty minutes later. Then our waiter tried to pawn off a lower-price bottle of wine as the one we had ordered. Apparently they were out of what we ordered, but he clearly assumed we would not know the difference. In short - if you are out to wow out-of-town customers, great place. If you there to be respected and valued for the hundreds of dollars you will spend on one dinner... perhaps try another location.Special Features:
- TennismikeDined on 10/6/2014Over priced in general, wine prices 3x retail and then someSpecial Features:
- The best of the best!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/4/2014Perfection on every level. Every bite was heaven, every sense was engaged. The presentation, the depth if the flavors, the textures, the smells... This is the top tier of fine dining. We had a magical anniversary dinner here and it was worth every penny.Special Features:
- Disappointed with updatesLookingforanexcellentmealDined on 10/4/2014Have been to Spiaggia 5 times & found it quite enjoyable.Not this time.If you want to attract the"in"crowd then you have done the right thing.But doubt you will see Michelin star next time.The music was a little loud & choice was that of a looped bar scene music-making one feel rushed & hyper.Service was good but not as good as before & I wasn't wild about khakis & plaid shirts some servers wearing while others wore suits-I assume to show the serving hierarchy but come on when you've decided to have no dress code for your customers(which is fine if they want that).Food choices were more limited:beet salad ok,risotto excellent,veal chop ok,would have preferred full size dessert.Feeling of a highclass restaurant is no longer there.Special Features:
- Tasting menudlm1VIPDined on 10/3/2014Average food, good wine. We were both very disappointed in the quality of the tasting menu. I wouldn't recommend it or go back.Special Features:
- RidiculousWHS1Dined on 9/27/2014It was if we were in a satirical movie about a pretentious chef serving a sprinkle, glaze, and fairy dust over a whisper of platitude. Ridiculously small servings of color and interpretation presented as food type substances. If you enjoy going to a restaurant after an expensive meal of sour cheese served over four grape tomatoes followed by ten milligrams of admittedly very tasty rice then this is place for you. Otherwise, I would stay home and get the same experience by eating a sardine on melba toast with your eyes closed. A fine restaurant gone bat chic.
- Daughter's birthdayBignightoutDined on 9/27/2014My daughter the vegetarian asked the chef to freelance on a dish, and the grilled veggies and mushrooms were excellent. Rest of the food was quite good, and the gelato and sorbet for dessert fabulous.Special Features:
- Won't ReturnSJ59VIPDined on 9/25/2014Sorry to report that the former glory of this restaurant is long gone. We returned after several years to celebrate a birthday. Service timing was off and inexcusable for a restaurant of this level. The menu has lost the beauty and joy that it once provided, replaced by very small portions of average and over salted food...for high prices. We won't be returning. There are just so many better options in Chicago these days, and it seems to me that in trying to catch up with some of the newer places, Spiaggia has failed to be itself and to compete with others.
- EcstasyEatiepeopleDined on 9/23/2014The food was beautiful, well presented and absolutely delicious. The service was especially great. I don't like waiters hovering over me but I appreciate being taken good care of. This was the most attentive staff, I was left feeling important and cared about. The visit was a great experience.Special Features: