645 Middle Country Rd.
Saint James, NY 11780Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spezianewyork.com/
- Phone: (631) 265-9228
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Spezia
Fine Italian cuisine is what you'll find here along a wonderful glass of wine. Together with a relaxing Italian setting you'll find that I'll be hard not to go back.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spezia reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (18)good for groups (17)special occasion (15)romantic (12)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Would returnMisterEd50Dined on 11/8/2014Food very good and reasonably priced. Service a bit erratic (slow bringing salad, soup and appetizers) but overall OK.Special Features:
- Nice evening outbigeats1Dined on 11/7/2014Or dinner at Spezza was wonderful. The appetizers (antipasto and seafood salad) were excellent. The dinners were delicious as well. We had the stuffed pork chop which was tasty but a little dry and the crab crusted salmon which was also delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alyson MacombAllieCatDined on 11/6/2014This restaurant is a gem. We went because it was restaurant week and usually that week most restaurant give smaller portions. Not here! The food was delicious and the staff was so professional. We would absolutely come here again!Special Features:
- SteveDined on 11/5/2014Food was okay. Waiter was no where to be found after he brought our drinks. Bus staff was very attentive. Not a bad experience, but not great either.Special Features:
- Great ServiceCathyDined on 11/2/2014We recently went to Spezia for the first time. We were warmly greeted when we arrived and enjoyed professional service throughout the evening. The waitstaff was very attentive without getting in the way. The dinner was very good. The flan for dessert was a great way to finish the meal!Special Features:
- steakDined on 11/1/2014Outstanding Service and Food. Always a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014Food was okay nothing very special. Rice balls were overdone.my husbands hot seafood appetizer was okay nothing amazing. Bread was as reviews states fair. Salmon with Leblanc sauce was okay nothing fantastic. My husband veal dish with cheese ontop he said sauce was nothing great abit blah. Water for tea was awful the Italian cheesecake was good. Not the finest place to eat for the prices you pay
- Consistently goodJurazVIPDined on 10/18/2014You can count on Spezia for an enjoyable dining experience. They have remained consistently good in their food and service. Every time we visit this restaurant, we are very pleased and leave with a smile. My pasta with seafood was delicious and my husband enjoyed the swordfish entree. We will definitely return again. Excellent service!Special Features:
- Any Day Now, Any DayBillVIPDined on 10/10/2014Our reservation was for 7:15 and arrived on time. The greeter checked her computer and proceeded to seat us. The restaurant was a flurry of activity with wait staff and managers constantly buzzing around, but they didn't seem to accomplish much. For our party of three, our request was simple, some non-alcoholic beverages, one appetizer, three entrees. The appetizer was delivered after a bit of a wait. At 8:00 we started joking about getting up and leaving. At 8:30 my wife flagged the waiter and asked about our food. In less than two minutes he brought out our plates, which were probably sitting in the back. My wife's pasta meal was supposed to have fresh tomatoes and basil, it looked like a tomato sauce with parsley. They comped us for it.
- Worth a visitHateCilantroVIPDined on 10/4/2014The food was delicious and the portion were big. The mushroom risotto was excellent. The only complaint was that there were three errors on my bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great FindjoyfulVIPDined on 10/4/2014Why haven't we eaten here before? Nice bar but most people as it turned out were waiting to be seated for dinner, as we were. The ten minute wait was worth it. The service and food were very good. We started with the mixed seafood served with a delicious marinara. The dish was plentiful, and the selection of calamari, shrimp and baked clams was tender and tasty. As an entree I had the mushroom risotto. It was a big portion and I thoroughly enjoyed it even the next nite warmed up. My husband had the stuffed pork chop and he raved over the tender flavorful chop and the potato side. We shared a tarfufo. We were not rushed and were able to enjoy our wine between courses. Small observation. Trade in the foil wrapped butter for fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spezia was a delightDeedeeDined on 10/4/2014We went to Spezia after reading reviews online. We loved Spezia. The food was very good. We both loved the rice balls. My husband had beef braciole which he thoroughly enjoyed. I had the veal osso bucco. It was also excellent. The sauce was flavorful, yet not heavy or overbearing. The risotto served with the osso bucco was tasty. The wait staff put the experience over the top. They treated us as if we were regulars. Our waiter was charming. They couldn't do enough for us. That's the way to run a restaurant! The waiter brought my husband the braciole even though it wasn't on the menu Saturday evening. We will be back. We are recommending the restaurant to our friends and family as well.Special Features:
- okOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/1/2014The menu is not particularly creative. We were not offered the wine menu and $9.00 for a nothing-special house wine is a bit hefty. The dining room lacks style and feels old. This restaurant, when Orlandos, offered unique specialties and crisp service. It is now ordinary and offers, at best, indifferent service.
- Good LasagnaKubesVIPDined on 9/19/2014We both ordered the Lasagna and really enjoyed it. Will be returning to try the veal chop, as recommended by Newsday.Special Features:
- Great ExpreienceFreddietheKDined on 9/13/2014This was our first time visiting the restaurant and had tried it because we had gotten a groupon. We were very happy we did! Great food and very good service. Friendly staff. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Spezia is spectacularMtmphDined on 9/6/2014Food was uniformly spectacular, perhaps the best meal I have ever had in the Smithtown/ St James area! We had the Stuffed Pork Chop and Salmon: just wow! Though Service was friendly and attentive, a salad was forgotten, but we did not mind since we were brought fried zucchini matchsticks which was a great surprise. Cocktails were strong, as was the coffee. Tiramisu was authentic and perfect. Bill was pleasant surprise, reasonable for the quality of this wonderful meal. Forget the salad, we'll be back!Special Features:
- Never disappointedletseatoutVIPDined on 8/30/2014As per usual both the food and the service were excellent.Special Features:
- good local placegooditalianDined on 8/9/2014I was able to have the chef make me something that wasn't on the menu which I appreciate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedDaisydinerDined on 8/8/2014Service was very poor. Had to wait five minutes for a fork than had to wait for grated cheese. All but one meal for our party of six was placed in front of the wrong person. Food was not so great. Pasta not aldente.
- Much better the 2nd time...KS631VIPDined on 7/31/2014Last time we were there on a busy Saturday night. Food was very good, but service was slow & poor. This time, the food was as good but the service was MUCH BETTER. They weren't busy and the service was prompt and attentive. We'll return but not at busy times. Alex was an excellent host.
- Classic Italian style restaurantD8nightDined on 7/27/2014Food was average, but the service was great. They added an after dinner drink on the house which was a big bonus. We used a groupon so the value was good. Good for couples or small families. Quiet, Italian style restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is good but takes foreverMikemVIPDined on 7/26/2014the food was very good, but by the time it got there we were not really hungry anymore it was so long and we ate bread.Special Features:
- The following 34 reviews are from the Spezia reviews archive.
- Bon appetit!JurazVIPDined on 7/12/2014We truly enjoy dining at Spezia. The food is delicious and consistent . The service is excellent. They go out of their way to make your dining experience pleasureable.We will definitely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappoints!STEVENFROMSETAUKETNEWYORKVIPDined on 6/13/2014The owner, Alex and head waiter, Mike always deliver good food and service! I always go for the 2 pound lobster oreganata and my wife loves the pasta!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ServiceletseatoutVIPDined on 6/7/2014This is the 4th time back and just love everything we order. The service is always very attentive. The only problem this past Saturday was that the air conditioning was not working too well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed on 2nd visitKS631VIPDined on 5/31/2014We invited another couple to dine with us based upon a much better 1st visit. A busy Saturday evening, we waited a long time for the entrees and appetizers. Others seated after us were served before us. Why us? We were advised that the 2 lb lobster special we ordered was holding up the order because of many of the same was being served to other tables. The staff seemed harried and a bit confused; Alex mistakenly brought over desserts to our table while we were still waiting for the entrees. No offer of more bread or anything else to hold us over. My wife asked for a comp round of drinks based upon the poor service; done. Had to ask??? Awkward and embarrassing. The food was very good. Will return, but not on Saturday and only by ourselves.
- Great FooddianeddVIPDined on 5/16/2014Busy night when we dined and slow service. But food was worth the wait. Will definitely dine at this establishment again. New Owners/New Chef.Special Features:
- Delicious!!STEVENFROMSETAUKETNEWYORKVIPDined on 5/15/2014Mike, our waiter was awesome! The owner, Alex, always in the dining room making sure everything is perfect!! First class service from appetizers to dessert! We has the lobster oreganata style! Can't wait to go back!!
- Our fave! Another Great Night.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014This is our favorite neighborhood Italian restaurant and we have celebrated many special occasions along with regular family night dinners here...Always enjoy ourselves. Thank You Alex.Special Features:
- good local italian spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014An old-world style Italian restaurant, good food, large portions, and a generally pleasant place to go.Special Features:
- Classy Establishment.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Great Italian restaurant on the island without having to travel to the city! This is a classy establishment. Excellent food and very profesional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingMaryRoseDined on 5/8/2014Best Italian Restaurant there is! Food was amazing! From the bread they put on the table to.the dessert. Everything tasted so yummy. The service was outstanding. Very friendly staff. The owner was present and greeted tables which makes you feel.at home.You can tell everything is homemade..I definately recommend Spezia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2014Great food and Service! This is one of my favorite Italian places and also the fact of how accommodating and helpful the owner was. I have dined here on several occasions and always loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2014We were a group of 8 and were very dissappointed with our dining experience. We told the waiter that we had theater tickets and needed to be out in 1 !/2 hours. Two of our friends are vegetarians who ordered a mushroom entree. It came with sausage which was not mentioned in the menu. They did replace the items, but slowly. We waited one hour for our entrees. When we asked if we could order dessert to get us out quickly, our waiter told us no problem, we could order when we finished. We ended up not having coffee and took our desserts with us.
- Family of sevenFamilyfun47Dined on 5/3/2014Not what we expected after reading NY Times review, although some of the reviews by patrons was spot on. It wasn't that there was any one thing that stood out, food was nicely presented and some dishes were enjoyable but as my daughter said who lives in the area there was nothing special and she wouldn't be back. Nice touch with the bruschetta at the beginning but it was just tossed down like it was something they had to get through. I was hoping for better.
- One Word: Awfulluv2dineVIPDined on 5/2/2014My party of 4 had high hopes for this restaurant, especially since it is relatively new. They tout high reviews, including a huge banner out front that it is reviewed by NY Times. In a nutshell, service was horrendous - after our waiter took our order, we never saw him again. Kitchen staff delivered our meals and the bus boys handled everything else. No one stopped over even once to ask how our meal was. Water glasses remained empty. Besides the appetizers, the entrees and desserts were unedible. Our 4 meals were as follows: Chicken was dry and chewy, Pork Chops were overcooked and dry, Steak was awful - after 2 bites, I stopped eating, Veal was tasteless. Desserts were even worse - supermarket cakes are better. Do not go!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/1/2014Not horrible just not memorable. Seemed understaffed, our waiter appeared to be the bar tender as well.
- dissapointingfridayfamilyDined on 4/25/2014Generally if you go with a Fridays special it should be well prepared. The special appetizer Stone Crabs was cooked to death dry my Halibut was the same. Would you believe my Italian cheesecake followed suit. Never again.
- FANTASTIC!STEVENFROMSETAUKETNEWYORKVIPDined on 4/25/2014Friendly service, delicious food and the owner always nearby making everybody's experience a good one! Try the polenta appetizer and veal chop!
- You Get What You Pay ForPri927Dined on 4/20/2014You get what you pay for is so true...this restaurant was probably one of the best restaurants around. Food was delicious, wait staff very very friendly and very informative. This was one of my first Easters out to dinner and im so glad that we chose Spezia...they didnt rush us out at all...we will definately be back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.