645 Middle Country Rd.
Saint James, NY 11780Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spezianewyork.com/
- Phone: 6312659228
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Spezia
Fine Italian cuisine is what you'll find here along a wonderful glass of wine. Together with a relaxing Italian setting you'll find that I'll be hard not to go back.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spezia reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)romantic (12)fit for foodies (11)good for groups (10)special occasion (9)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- good local placegooditalianDined on 8/9/2014I was able to have the chef make me something that wasn't on the menu which I appreciate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedDaisydinerDined on 8/8/2014Service was very poor. Had to wait five minutes for a fork than had to wait for grated cheese. All but one meal for our party of six was placed in front of the wrong person. Food was not so great. Pasta not aldente.
- Much better the 2nd time...KS631VIPDined on 7/31/2014Last time we were there on a busy Saturday night. Food was very good, but service was slow & poor. This time, the food was as good but the service was MUCH BETTER. They weren't busy and the service was prompt and attentive. We'll return but not at busy times. Alex was an excellent host.
- Classic Italian style restaurantD8nightDined on 7/27/2014Food was average, but the service was great. They added an after dinner drink on the house which was a big bonus. We used a groupon so the value was good. Good for couples or small families. Quiet, Italian style restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is good but takes foreverMikemVIPDined on 7/26/2014the food was very good, but by the time it got there we were not really hungry anymore it was so long and we ate bread.Special Features:
- Bon appetit!JurazVIPDined on 7/12/2014We truly enjoy dining at Spezia. The food is delicious and consistent . The service is excellent. They go out of their way to make your dining experience pleasureable.We will definitely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappoints!STEVENFROMSETAUKETNEWYORKVIPDined on 6/13/2014The owner, Alex and head waiter, Mike always deliver good food and service! I always go for the 2 pound lobster oreganata and my wife loves the pasta!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ServiceletseatoutVIPDined on 6/7/2014This is the 4th time back and just love everything we order. The service is always very attentive. The only problem this past Saturday was that the air conditioning was not working too well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed on 2nd visitKS631VIPDined on 5/31/2014We invited another couple to dine with us based upon a much better 1st visit. A busy Saturday evening, we waited a long time for the entrees and appetizers. Others seated after us were served before us. Why us? We were advised that the 2 lb lobster special we ordered was holding up the order because of many of the same was being served to other tables. The staff seemed harried and a bit confused; Alex mistakenly brought over desserts to our table while we were still waiting for the entrees. No offer of more bread or anything else to hold us over. My wife asked for a comp round of drinks based upon the poor service; done. Had to ask??? Awkward and embarrassing. The food was very good. Will return, but not on Saturday and only by ourselves.
- Great FooddianeddVIPDined on 5/16/2014Busy night when we dined and slow service. But food was worth the wait. Will definitely dine at this establishment again. New Owners/New Chef.Special Features:
- Delicious!!STEVENFROMSETAUKETNEWYORKVIPDined on 5/15/2014Mike, our waiter was awesome! The owner, Alex, always in the dining room making sure everything is perfect!! First class service from appetizers to dessert! We has the lobster oreganata style! Can't wait to go back!!
- Our fave! Another Great Night.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014This is our favorite neighborhood Italian restaurant and we have celebrated many special occasions along with regular family night dinners here...Always enjoy ourselves. Thank You Alex.Special Features:
- good local italian spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014An old-world style Italian restaurant, good food, large portions, and a generally pleasant place to go.Special Features:
- Classy Establishment.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Great Italian restaurant on the island without having to travel to the city! This is a classy establishment. Excellent food and very profesional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingMaryRoseDined on 5/8/2014Best Italian Restaurant there is! Food was amazing! From the bread they put on the table to.the dessert. Everything tasted so yummy. The service was outstanding. Very friendly staff. The owner was present and greeted tables which makes you feel.at home.You can tell everything is homemade..I definately recommend Spezia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2014Great food and Service! This is one of my favorite Italian places and also the fact of how accommodating and helpful the owner was. I have dined here on several occasions and always loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2014We were a group of 8 and were very dissappointed with our dining experience. We told the waiter that we had theater tickets and needed to be out in 1 !/2 hours. Two of our friends are vegetarians who ordered a mushroom entree. It came with sausage which was not mentioned in the menu. They did replace the items, but slowly. We waited one hour for our entrees. When we asked if we could order dessert to get us out quickly, our waiter told us no problem, we could order when we finished. We ended up not having coffee and took our desserts with us.
- Family of sevenFamilyfun47Dined on 5/3/2014Not what we expected after reading NY Times review, although some of the reviews by patrons was spot on. It wasn't that there was any one thing that stood out, food was nicely presented and some dishes were enjoyable but as my daughter said who lives in the area there was nothing special and she wouldn't be back. Nice touch with the bruschetta at the beginning but it was just tossed down like it was something they had to get through. I was hoping for better.
- One Word: Awfulluv2dineVIPDined on 5/2/2014My party of 4 had high hopes for this restaurant, especially since it is relatively new. They tout high reviews, including a huge banner out front that it is reviewed by NY Times. In a nutshell, service was horrendous - after our waiter took our order, we never saw him again. Kitchen staff delivered our meals and the bus boys handled everything else. No one stopped over even once to ask how our meal was. Water glasses remained empty. Besides the appetizers, the entrees and desserts were unedible. Our 4 meals were as follows: Chicken was dry and chewy, Pork Chops were overcooked and dry, Steak was awful - after 2 bites, I stopped eating, Veal was tasteless. Desserts were even worse - supermarket cakes are better. Do not go!
- The following 20 reviews are from the Spezia reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/1/2014Not horrible just not memorable. Seemed understaffed, our waiter appeared to be the bar tender as well.
- dissapointingfridayfamilyDined on 4/25/2014Generally if you go with a Fridays special it should be well prepared. The special appetizer Stone Crabs was cooked to death dry my Halibut was the same. Would you believe my Italian cheesecake followed suit. Never again.
- FANTASTIC!STEVENFROMSETAUKETNEWYORKVIPDined on 4/25/2014Friendly service, delicious food and the owner always nearby making everybody's experience a good one! Try the polenta appetizer and veal chop!
- You Get What You Pay ForPri927Dined on 4/20/2014You get what you pay for is so true...this restaurant was probably one of the best restaurants around. Food was delicious, wait staff very very friendly and very informative. This was one of my first Easters out to dinner and im so glad that we chose Spezia...they didnt rush us out at all...we will definately be back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014I originally made a reservation for 2 of us, then on Easter, called them and asked if we could add 6 more to our reservation and they were more than accommodating. It was our friends' first time at Spezia and they want to go back. They said the lasagne was excellent and my husband loved the salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed!STEVENFROMSETAUKETNEWYORKVIPDined on 4/10/2014Food and Service was excellent! Complimentary zucchini sticks were delicious! We'll be back!
- So-soDoieDined on 3/30/2014Prix fixe dinner. Escargot appetizer delicious. Hunk of bread in basket not appetizing. Veal scallopini drowned in cheese. Very few asparagus underneath. Green beans too oily. Cheesecake very good. Coffee undrinkable. Rating: Fair I expected more after the rave review in the NY Times. They must have ordered a la carte.
- Great staff, wonderful attitude,TomWDined on 3/25/2014Great staff, wonderful attitude, we will definitely go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday evening dinnerJanellDined on 3/23/2014The service was very good, servers were attentive. It was restaurant week and the specials were numerous. We went because of the Newsday article on their lasagna. However, they didn't have any. My husband was a little disappointed. The oso bucco special was amazing. It melted in my mouth, the marrow was wonderful too. Everyone enjoyed their meal. We will definitely return and hopefully they will not run out of the lasagna.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great.DannyDined on 3/14/2014Greatness is hard to find. Food, Service and The whole place was great.Special Features:
- Supper clubOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/8/2014Our group meets 4 times a year. We require a round table. Spezia was an excellent place for our supper club. Food was delicious and the service was attentive.Special Features:
- New ideas coupled with traditionSuecastDined on 3/8/2014We found the menu choices interesting and enjoyable. The lasagne was very good as was the rigatoni melanzane. One person in our party had penne ala vodka made to order and was pleased with her dish. Another person had a spaghetti with crab meat. All in all the food was well prepared and the traditional type items had a new twist. That being said,we weren't completely wowed by anything, but definitely pleased.Special Features:
- Very attentive service, friendlyDiamondsDined on 3/1/2014Very attentive service, friendly staff, presentation of food was excellent and most importantly, the food tasted good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a 6:30 reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/16/2014We had a 6:30 reservation on a Sunday night for a table for 8. When we checked in they seemed surprise that we were there and our table was not ready. We ordered drinks at the bar and the bartender was less than enthusiastic! He appeared annoyed and made faces as we ordered our drinks. Our table was not ready till at least 7:20. They did not make any attempts to accommodate us or offer us anything. The food was ok. Some dishes too salty to eat.
- Front of the house service is badJeffDined on 2/14/2014No host/hostess station. Had 8:30 reservations on a Friday. No one greeted us. I finally asked a waiter where to check in with the reservation. There IS no one to check in with. The proprietor apparently keeps all the reservations logged in his brain. Waited about 40 minutes at a crowded bar which is basically a hallway through which servers and patrons must pass. Very uncomfortable. Same thing for four other couples, all standing around looking at each other since there is no waiting area. We were just about to leave when, as if sensing our imminent exit, someone finally seated us. Our food was good, but not worth the lousy front of the house service and the wait. They have no idea how to run a restaurant.
- ehhhfoodieronkonkomaDined on 2/14/2014overbooked. seated us without giving us menus. "regular" customer skipped the line and took a table before we got sat even though we had reservation. waiter nowhere to be found. appetizers took 45 min to arrive.
- Good Food Poor Servicejenan4Dined on 2/14/2014We had reservations for Valentine's Day at 7pm. We arrived a few minutes prior and still had to wait about 15 minutes. We were then brought to our table and 3 waiters/servers came to the table. One gave us the menu, another took our bar order and the third took our dinner order. We did not know who our actual waiter was. Our drinks came out almost 20 minutes later and was removed from our bill. The food was good but the waiters at other tables explained specials. We were not given any information regarding specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you Alex for opening this gemShowguyVIPDined on 2/14/2014Simple review. Food is wonderful and inventive. Service is wonderful. The portions are substantial the prices are reasonable and the specials are original and inventive. The staff makes you feel like family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT SERVICE AND EXCELLENTJOJOBERNDined on 2/8/2014EXCELLENT SERVICE AND EXCELLENT FOOD EVERYTIME I DINE AT SPEZIA STAFF IS ALWAYS ATTENTIVESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingariel97Dined on 1/28/2014Have dinner at Spezia an you will never be disappointed. The wait staff (especially Mike) takes great care of you and the food is amazing. I recommend the 2lb lobster special! I have never had a bad meal there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.