Spenger's Fresh Fish Grotto
1919 Fourth Street
Berkeley, CA 94710Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Spenger's Fresh Fish Grotto
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spengers.com/
- Phone: (510) 845-7771
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am-3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 3:00pm-10:00pm Friday-Saturday: 3:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Patrick Kehler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: University Ave.
- Public Transit: We are located a few blocks from many AC Transit Bus lines. The closest Bart stations is about 1 mile away.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We validate for parking in the lot located across the street from the restaurant. 1 1/2 hours free before 5pm, 3 hours free after 5pm.
A word from Spenger's Fresh Fish Grotto
Spenger's Fresh Fish Grotto's menu features over thirty selections of seafood, fresh fish, shellfish and more from the Bay Area, Pacific Ocean and other regions around the globe. The classic, traditional presentation of the menu items, combined with professional, knowledgeable service and the unique atmosphere make for a truly memorable dining experience. The restaurant features five private dining rooms with a nautical theme, seating groups from 25 up to 250 and receptions up to 400. Banquet rooms feature porthole windows, antique memorabilia, and hand-crafted glass chandeliers that complement the teak walls and brass fittings. Corporate and social groups alike will enjoy the highest quality fresh food along with gracious and professional service in this unique and exciting setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Spenger's Fresh Fish Grotto - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Spenger's Fresh Fish Grotto reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (59)special occasion (51)neighborhood gem (42)great for lunch (36)fit for foodies (32)kid-friendly (23)vibrant bar scene (18)notable wine list (15)romantic (14)great for brunch (9)late-night find (6)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Birthday LuncheonWitchiewomanDined on 11/14/2014We haven't been to Spenger's in a very long time. We decided to make reservations for lunch for a friends birthday! We made the RIGHT choice! The food was over-the-top great and the service was even better! We have decided that this is going to be our 'go to' place for lunch at least once a month now! Once a month only because it is a little out of the way for us, but well worth the travel time to get there!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better tonightEATS4BB3VIPDined on 11/10/2014The stuffed Salmon, Trout, and Seafood Fettuccine were all well seasoned and tasty.Special Features:
- Still GoingEATS4BB3VIPDined on 11/9/2014Tonight most of food tonight was under seasoned, could have used a little salt and pepper on the starches and the veggies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeafoodNavyVetDined on 11/9/2014Best fish grotto in the East Bay! Have been coming here since 1988.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always enjoy eating thereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2014steamed clams tender and tasty, Caesar salad delicious - no shortage of dressing - lobster bisque outstanding! - swordfish rich, tasty, meaty, salmon almost overdone but still delicious & juicy, disappointment = French bread not hot, too full for any dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeneDined on 11/9/2014The food was very tasty with good size portions. Even with a reservation we waited 25 minutes with no seating available for the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's not bad, but....PhantomDiner1Dined on 11/9/2014The only bad thing about the restaurant is that it has NO windows. Another negative is the noise. It's very loud, but tolerable. The food and service are good. In this visit, my brother and I went for the veterans special. While everyone else were seated at 4-place tables, we were seated at the smallest table I have ever seen. The table also shared a support post. The next person to be seated was a single person, who, you guessed it, got a 4-place table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you, SpengersAppreciativeVetDined on 11/9/2014Spenger's and their parent company, McCormick & Schick's, hold a wonderful annual recognition of military members current and past each Veteran's Day. My wife and I enjoyed it immensely. Your alder plank salmon was wonderful. Thank you!Special Features:
- LilyDined on 11/9/2014Excellent salmon and sole dinners. My husband's dinner was on the Vet's Menu. Very generous of the restaurant to honor the Vet's Speaks well of them as a company.Special Features:
- diningdollyDined on 11/9/2014Out dinner was just great. Our server was attentive. Lovely evening and dining experience!Special Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/9/2014My wife and I dine there quite often and enjoy it very much. The food is good and the staff is very hands on, I recommend it to everyone.Special Features:
- Veterans menu had small portions lOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014I was expecting prawns and got shrimp, I thought I was at Long John Silvers,
- Not the same place we used to goPs04Dined on 11/8/2014We went late, 9:45 but they offered reservations. Must have been understaffed by then. Nice waitress but she disappeared for LONG periods of time. Got up to find her twice. Long delays at every step. Finally got out entrees, one was dropped on floor. Accidents happen but the poor thing was doing everything without enough help. She and management tried to make up for it by compong some food but it was pretty bad overall. My sole was undercooked, steak was undercooked... I probably won't return...
- Expensive, nice place though.OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 11/8/2014Saturday nights get very busy, service was a bit slow, it seemed they were understaffed. Food was under hot lights for quite a while by appearance once dropped at our table. We were celebrating a birthday, no dessert offered but you can order and pay. Great Crème Brulee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food bad serviceSoftballmomVIPDined on 10/31/2014We like to meet friends and family for happy hours and dinners at this restaurant. We will meet up at the bar and when all of us are here, we will go to the dining area. Sometimes when we have so much fun we decided to stay at the dining area next to the bar. When we told the wait staff we decided to stay, I noticed they canceled my reservation at OpenTable. This happens many times. We were still dining at this restaurant and have receipts to prove. Why can't restaurant honor the reservation? I love this restaurant but this is the second time we have bad service from their staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient and efficientReneeSVIPDined on 10/30/2014We had an excellent dinner at Spenger's. The service was excellent with a server who was clearly tuned to our needs and able to answer questions, etc. The food was well prepared and very tasty. We enjoyed the service and the meal from appetizers to dessert. It was a relaxing meal and also within our time frame so we could get to our concert on time. We will definitely reserve a table for our next concert date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- forgot how GOOD this place is!MaryVIPDined on 10/26/2014Went last night with my mom and an out of town guest - everything was GREAT. Had a rib eye steak with mashed potatoes and it couldn't have been better! Mom had fish & chips and our guest had shrimp scampi....everyone was happy!
- Enjoyable EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/24/2014Service was great and the meal lived up to the reviews I had read.Special Features:
- birthday celebration dinner...NOTJeseryGirlInCADined on 10/23/2014This was supposed to be a birthday celebration dinner for my aunt… Not impressed with the oysters Her order came out wrong (waitress took the wrong order) and my brocollini was stone cold… The steak I had was seasoned well and that was the only thing about the entire meal that was decent. Even though we brought a small cake with us to cap off the night, we left without even cutting the cake or taking any pictures.
- Spengers..... not what it should beserve2allVIPDined on 10/21/2014Should have gotten 1,000 points but didnt. Service quite poor..we were always looking for our waiter. Food came without all ingredients (eg fish tacos without the dipping sauce). Seemed like the waiter was also the bartender. Louie salads were $23 and $24 each and very pedestrian. This is not what Spengers used to be. The place needs to be completely overhauled. And Open Table needs to make good on its 1,000 point reservation list.Special Features:
- As touristy as Berkeley getsTheNikonKidDined on 10/12/2014Service wasn't just slow, it was cold and a little bit dumb. Food was so-so. Doubt I'd go back. If not for the "since 1890" vibe and cool historic photos, it would just be a big, bad restaurant.
- Disappointed after fond memoriesluv2dine2Dined on 10/11/2014After regularly dining here with great enjoyment many years ago, I was disappointed with my recent experience. My memory of fresh fish expertly prepared was unsupported by the reality of overbreaded and overcooked results. Service was lacking as well. Not friendly and attentive as long ago but my waiter essentially ignored my table after ordering. He was obviously displeased after I refused his insistent recommendations for accompanying my meal with wine (in anticipation of a long drive yet ahead of me). However, I did expect him to reappear at periodic intervals for the perfunctory check-in or to present the final bill. The evening (as well as the second star rating) was salvaged by a personable front desk staff and the busser.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014The service (Daniel) was excellent and the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndarVIPDined on 10/8/2014We have been going her for 50 years; however, we were very disappointed. Our server was very young, inexperienced. The menu has been pared a great deal since we last dined her giving much fewer choices. The drinks were watery and took forever to arrive at the table. The food service was very slow.
- Consistently first ratePanebVIPDined on 10/5/2014Our group meets for dinner here once a month after a campus lecture to entertain our speaker. They are always impressed with Spenger's. Everything is fresh, can be altered to meet your dietary needs, and cooked to order. We used to have speakers who didn't care for seafood, but they have added meat items to the menu, so now everyone can be accommodated. Wines are reasonably priced. The service is always great, our favorite server, Rumeena, is always cheerful, helpful and extremely efficient. They really do groups well here.Special Features:
- Spengers Fish Grottoucaggie91Dined on 10/4/2014We had an excellent reunion with the kitchen at the restaurant. we always eat at Spengers when we visit Bay Area.Special Features:
- A shadow of it's former selfZiaclesDined on 10/2/2014This isn;t Spengars anymore, it's Long John Silvers. :-(
- Always GoodmcbaglesoutDined on 10/2/2014Went to Spenger's for my father-in-law's 84th birthday and everyone there gave him such sp ciao treatment. The food was wonderful as always and you definitely got what you pay for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dineroutVIPDined on 9/28/2014We've eaten at Spengers numerous times (before and after McCormick's took it over). All of the seafood items (linguine & clams, shrimp scampi and bouillabaisse) ordered were very fresh and delicious! The oysters on half shell were the best! The clam chowder was not hot (all soups should be).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMangiaDined on 9/28/2014The food was mediocre at best. Pleasant atmosphere but that was about it. I realize is has become part of McCormick and Schmidt ......but it is supposed to be a fish restaurant. If that is the case, the fish should be excellent. This is the San Frnacisco Bay Area. They can do better with quality and service.
- DisappointedREJUVINATE707VIPDined on 9/27/2014I went to Spenger's a year ago - and vowed never to go there again....but I took out of town friend after the CAL game... and was even more disappointed.... you have to understand... I grew up in Berkeley and EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT for years we had dinner there - when I was a child and young adult.... back in the days when food and service was ABSOLUTE.... it is a shame that the quality of the food has gone from very good to fair- at best - and the service.... I have had better service at hof brau's .... very disappointing from a life long Berkeleyian.... Hopefully some day an individual will take it back and not have a chain restaurant running it.
- Spengers - expensive!foodie4funDined on 9/27/2014Hadn't been here in years, went after a Cal game. Sat in a nice booth, easy to hear each other. Four people - $400 (2 hors d'oeuvres, 4 dinners, 2 desserts, bottle of wine and one cocktail each). Food was okay, nothing special. Definitely overpriced. Waiter was sort of nervous, hovered too much, then disappeared when bill came. There are way better places to go.
- Would not go again.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Overpriced overpriced overpriced. Asked for quiet spot and was sat next to the bar. Moved to another room much better.Had to ask for more bread--that tasted dry and was only given one butter for two people. Asked for more bread and butter. There were no specials on this menu on Saturday and even the appetizers were overpriced--16 ???? Heard a disagreement between the waiter and hostess that was uncomfortable. Crab was great on salad but there was not much of it. Ordered a latte for 4.50 and had to give it back. It was bitter,tasted old and was horrible. they said they were all like that. not good. Spangers could really do better. So much better in the past. The wine(7 dollars for house wine, and not much of it in glass, was great.)
- Inger's Dining ExperienceIngerBDined on 9/26/2014I have been enjoying Spengers for years; we recently had dinner on a Friday night, and it was superb. The food was fantastic, the presentation was superb, and the martini's were spot on, just the way I like them!Special Features:
- A good dining experienceReneeSVIPDined on 9/26/2014We enjoy our meals at Spenger's and have added Spenger's as a dinner destination before our concerts at Zellerbach in Berkeley. This meal did not disappoint. I tried their fall features and found the kale salad exceptional. Tasty and well presented, I will definitely have it again at our next visit. Their clam chowder is always satisfying and enjoyable. The other dishes were good, but nothing special. Service was excellent, and overall we had another good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureMeekoB94501VIPDined on 9/24/2014Food is always excellent, the service is as well. Wednesday nights $1 oysters on the half shell and/or peel-n-luv prawns (we enjoy both by the dozen) is a no-brainer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Than Ever!!!Young72Dined on 9/20/2014We were early for our reservation so waited in the bar where the staff was very attentive. No Dubonnet on hand, but the champagne cocktails were delicious!!! Over the years we dined at Spenger's as children, as newly weds, with family, and with friends. Truly, each visit has been better than the last!!! Had been a year or so since we were there and this visit was just delightful. Andre made several stops at our table, making us feel like we were guests in his home, adding tremendously to the enjoyment of the evening!!! The food...we do not have words. Presentation was a 10! Taste was 10 plus!!! And the wait staff was knowledgeable, helpful, and accessible!!! So try it again!!! You will be WOWed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ppmolliesedonaDined on 9/19/2014I don't believe after eating there that Spenger's is owned by the same company. I was there along time ago several times and it was great. Haven't been for quite a few years. The service was terrible, we had to keep looking for our waitress and we were there at the beginning of the lunch period, 11:45 AM. Also, our food was very disappointing. My sisters Fish & Chips was OK. I had Oysters Rockefeller and it was awful. I believe they just boiled the oysters and all they did was mix spinach with a white sauce, there was no cheese and there was absolutely no flavor. All I tasted was a mouthful of spinach. I had to look for the oysters. This dish that had only 4 oysters that I couldn't find cost me $19.99.
- Disappointingjust4dinnerDined on 9/13/2014We were seated next to a large party and our waitress was working both of our tables. We were a party of 4. The drinks took too long to come out, our food was cold and we were definitely not her priority. I understand large groups and the staffs need to accommodate them but I won't be sitting next to a large party again. We were ignored most of the time and we were there probably 45 minutes longer than we should have been.
- like an old friend!optionsnotDined on 9/13/2014We hadn't eaten at Spengers in several years and thought it would be fun to try it again! We couldn't have been happier that we did! My wife had the catfish with sweet potato fries and coleslaw and everything was delicious! I have been coming to Spengers for probably 30 plus years and the only dish I've had is the breaded calamari and it was excellent! The mash potatoes and the asparagus were as good as they come! It is always nice to find a restaurant that is able to provide a good meal at a fair price and do it for a long time! Additionally, our server, a young woman, was very knowledgeable and provided great service!Special Features: