Spenger's Fresh Fish Grotto
1919 Fourth Street
Berkeley, CA 94710Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Spenger's Fresh Fish Grotto
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spengers.com/
- Phone: 5108457771x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am-3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 3:00pm-10:00pm Friday-Saturday: 3:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Patrick Kehler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: University Ave.
- Public Transit: We are located a few blocks from many AC Transit Bus lines. The closest Bart stations is about 1 mile away.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We validate for parking in the lot located across the street from the restaurant. 1 1/2 hours free before 5pm, 3 hours free after 5pm.
A word from Spenger's Fresh Fish Grotto
Spenger's Fresh Fish Grotto's menu features over thirty selections of seafood, fresh fish, shellfish and more from the Bay Area, Pacific Ocean and other regions around the globe. The classic, traditional presentation of the menu items, combined with professional, knowledgeable service and the unique atmosphere make for a truly memorable dining experience. The restaurant features five private dining rooms with a nautical theme, seating groups from 25 up to 250 and receptions up to 400. Banquet rooms feature porthole windows, antique memorabilia, and hand-crafted glass chandeliers that complement the teak walls and brass fittings. Corporate and social groups alike will enjoy the highest quality fresh food along with gracious and professional service in this unique and exciting setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Spenger's Fresh Fish Grotto - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Spenger's Fresh Fish Grotto reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)special occasion (51)good for groups (50)great for lunch (41)kid-friendly (29)fit for foodies (22)great for brunch (19)romantic (18)notable wine list (16)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (8)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- bpbwVIPDined on 8/28/2014Since Landry's took over this venerable old place, the food is always excellent. The service is always good but if you are a Landry's member, it is truly top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love the food but ....MemlouiseVIPDined on 8/28/2014This was my first time to Spenger's. I loved my blue cheese salad and stuffed shrimp! Service was attentive but a bit forgetful. I will go here again and try many of the other inviting items on the menu. That said, the other 3 people I was with - all of whom had been to Spenger's before and consider it "touristy" - were not happy with much of anything, except the salmon which was great, they said. I'm not sure if they gave it a fair shot or not. The menu is not "fancy" nor is it consistently healthy. The "creamed spinach" was very creamy and covered in cheese and my friends couldn't eat it. The waitress said, "it's an acquired taste." That's probably right - this is the type of place that feels comfortable and homey, even the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- visiting family dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Visiting our med school student nephew with family of seven, asked about great seafood restaurant locally. Drawing on past working experience in the Bay area, immediately thought of Spengers, my favorite spot for fresh, exciting local seafoods. Wonderful dining experience for all of the visting family. Don't be 'put off' by the rustic, nautical exterior, a 5 star experience awaits you inside, don't miss it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014This is supposed to be a seafood restaurant but the fish was not fresh, the shrimp was bad, the food was overpriced for the the quality and quantity. We have to return the pasta becasue it was dry. It was bad.Special Features:
- Overpriced for what it isOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/23/2014For the quality of the ambiance and the B level service, it is overpriced. Basically, a good restaurant that should be priced about 20% less.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014Excellent food; friendly service and overall a good deal for the price.Special Features:
- Fresh FishJerryVIPDined on 8/11/2014Always the freshest fish and best selection - never disappointsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014I choose Spengers to celebrate my daughters birthday with the family, unfortunately I was unaware thart Brunch was no longer served on Sunday. The wait staff was rushed even though ther was only a few tables filled. The food wasn't very good to say the least my salmon was cold, my daughters oysters were slimy and had to be sent back to the kitchen. The waitress said " had another customer complain about them as well." My family has been going to Spengers for many years and loved it however I don't think I will ever go back after this recent experience.Special Features:
- WaikoloaDined on 8/9/2014Wonderful old time restaurant with lovely nautical decor.Special Features:
- Spenger's is spantastic2wiceisniceDined on 7/31/2014I had a friend visiting from out of state and he enjoyed it!! Food and service was great! I had linguini with clams and loved it, very flavorful & plentiful!! My friend ate the andouille sausage with rigatoni and it too was great. I love the history and ambiance! I will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PattysrDined on 7/30/2014Haven't been there for forty years. Enjoyed seeing it again.Special Features:
- Living in the pastDough0909Dined on 7/29/2014Sprengers used to be the spot to go to. Tons of people being served great food. This place is now dead. Only a few patrons in the resturant and an old building. Don't waste your time or money. Find a better resturant....maybe In and Out.
- Salmon Saute - specialGloriaVIPDined on 7/29/2014I think of Spengers as overpriced. They have added a well-priced lunch feature; that is, $14.99 for 2 courses. I had the salmon saute which was absolutely delicious -- mushroom and salmon in a good sauce; however, white rice is not healthy food-- should serve healthy brown rice instead!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Met my uncle and aunt who were here traveling from arizona and they really enjoyed the calamari steak which they both had. My wife enjoyed the salmon sandwich although the catch was not as fresh as same sandwich she had previous day out of bodega bay. I had the fried shrimp , numerous in quantity and waitress very accomadating in change of extras. Service was good and it became a busy afternoon ,after 1.Special Features:
- CfoodfanVIPDined on 7/25/2014Waiter was determined to get us out within 0.5 hour. Not appreciated.Special Features:
- Not so Hot~klhrDined on 7/19/2014Service was AWFUL - there were 6 of us and we had a very unhelpful, unresponsive waitress. Food was pretty good but not great. Maybe just a bad night (or wait-person), but I wouldn't recommend it unless you sit at the bar and watch sppaorts.
- averageiteeitupVIPDined on 7/18/2014The service was fair. The food was expensive and not very tasty. The portions were very small. The menu selections were limited. We have gone to this restaurant for many years and watched the overall quality decline steadily and the popularity decline as well. We were there on a Friday night and the restaurant wasn't half full. Sad to see.
- RahdooDined on 7/18/2014Everything about our trip to Spengers was awesome. The food, service and wine list were spot on. We could not say a bad thing; other than the Manager opted to repair the table behind us with a power screw driver during lunch service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spengers Still!OldBlueDined on 7/17/2014Despite the ownership change several years ago Spengers is a lot like stepping into a time machine. The history, ships models, and marlin have been here since I graduated from Cal in 1970. Menu is old school and good. Service is good. Always try to sneak in a dinner when I come back to Berkeley.Special Features:
- Disappointing dinnerAnonymousVIPDined on 7/15/2014I was disappointed by the food and service. Long times where the waitress didn't check on us, and that was after waiting a long time (even though we HAD reservations!). I might go back for happy hour, but dinner was a huge disappointment! My tri tip was full of gristle and carrots were dry and undercooked. I appreciate them not oversalting the veggies, but wish my carrots were cooked properly. Sad.
- Great last minute for large groupOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/13/2014I had a last minute dinner to host. This place was great for accommodating our large group at the last minute. The pricing was good and the server was very kind and attentive when there at the table. However, we did go a long period of time without being checked on. The food was okay.Special Features:
- Not quite Spenger's I grew up withJayJDined on 7/9/2014I was born and raised in the Bay Area and was a frequent (3-4 times a month) diner for over 10 years at Spenger's. The plate I grew up on was their famous popcorn shrimp. When I left the Bay Area the restaurant was closed down and was on the verge of being torn down. I am glad that someone came in and kept it for its historical significance to the Berkeley Marina. I was happy to see that a lot fo the decor still existed and it was very well preserved and tastefully remodeled. Unfortunately, the menu has changed a lot and the "taste" I grew up their has been significantly changed. I wasn't to fond of it and the prices have skyrocketed. Thank you for the memory but I don't think I will be returning anytime soon.Special Features:
- ElenkaDined on 7/6/2014We have been coming to Spengers for 3 decades, always good food, fun time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice meal, great serviceKenBDined on 7/4/20144th of July, decided to eat fish for dinner. Made reservation within 30 minutes and say promptly. Wife had stuffed salmon and I had grilled salmon. Both were perfect. Shared wedge salad, again, very good. Waitress was outstanding, she was exceptionally attentive, checking on us frequently but not obtrusive. The restaurant has been acquired by Landry's, you can feel, see the positive influence in the menu and service. We'll be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/4/2014The attentive and smoothly professional service was the salient element of our visit, and very much appreciated. The pomegranate dressing was an excellent substitution for my non-cesar salad - yummy! My husband says thumbs up on the white clam chowder. My shrimp scampi was the best I'd every had, and presentation was great. Husband says his Oregon rock cod was very good. Husband's up-side-down apple pie was good, but I did not like my Quato Leches cake at all. The description sounded irresistible, but the actual cake was dense and spongey, and the "leche" was syrupy. I love tes leches cake, and this is not the same genre.
- Good, but not GreatEATS4BB3VIPDined on 6/30/2014I am working my way through the menu of dishes I like, found the Oregon Rockfish to NOT be very Cajun, with a FEW small pieces of blue crab. My dining partner had a dish that is consistently good, the Stuffed Pacific Salmon, we shared the spinach/beet salad and the Shrimp Kiss. All dishes but the so called Cajun Rockfish were very good.Special Features:
- DisappointingFoodie4lifeDined on 6/29/2014Going downhill. Not consistently good across the menu. Too thick breading on fried fish; small portion on calamari dore though it was tasty. Chowder very good. Bread good. Still like the place as a unique local historical venue. But improve the food overall.Special Features:
- Nostalgic seafood restaurantTeebdayDined on 6/28/2014Good food and good service. Very comfortable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Family FavoriteDSueDined on 6/28/2014Decided to celebrate my sister's birthday since we used to come here as kids. We had a really nice green salad with walnuts and delicious grilled salmon. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- about spengers berkerleythankskdVIPDined on 6/26/2014my salmon mushroom mix was tasty and well prepared; the spinich asperagras dip with pita bread triangles was particularly delightful, far better than the typical restaurant dip. service was quie good other than a rather long wait for the dip to par with a lovely reisling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spengers is Coming BackJimLockardVIPDined on 6/21/2014After some disappointing years (we visit the area from LA), Spengers has found itself again as part of the McCormick & Schmick/Lawreys group. A friend and I had a very good lunch - everything fresh, a noteworthy wine list, and excellent service. I really enjoy these classic seafood or steak places, and the ambiance at Spenglers is just what I like. Recommend.Special Features:
- Bread is excellentelviraModestoDined on 6/21/2014Family & friend get together at Spenger's resulted in mixed reviews over food. Sandabs & filet of sole were mushy & tasteless, although the latter was swimming in butter & capers. Hamburger & popcorn shrimp ("Scatter") were good. We all agreed the bread was excellent, especially with butter patties rather than the whipped butter.
- Needs Restaurant ImpossiblejeckleinVIPDined on 6/14/2014It has been years since I was here. We were staying in a hotel nearby so, I thought it would be nice to dine at Spengers since it is been around for years. Well, yes it has been around for years without a single update. The place is worn and terribly out of date. We were seated in the back room that was like sitting in grandma's cabin. The food was marginal. The petrale of sole was soaked in oil that had turned ranset. The scampi was rubbery and also floating in bad oil. We order a bottle of wine but that selection was not in stock. So I ordered something a replacement. When the bill came I was charged for the more expensive first bottle of wine. They did correct the bill but by this point, we could get out of the place fast enough.
- improve crab dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2014I was disappointed that the crab cakes were not all crab but mushed crab and shrimp and that they were deep fried. Isn't there enough crab in the bay area to have pure, fresh lump crab cakes?
- Great Dining ExperienceKerriDined on 6/13/2014I hadn't been to Spenger's for many years and was happy with the service and food that we had. Seemed even better than it used to be and the service was faster than it used to be too. Would definitely go back again if we are in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flexible StaffCranberryDined on 6/11/2014Our Sacramento hiking club chose Spenger's for a Bay Bridge Trail post-hike late lunch. We made reservations and had to change the number and arrival time. Spenger's was very flexible in accommodating our changing group size and arrival time. The staff made sure our parking tickets were validated and provided us with boxes and bags to carry home our leftovers from their generous servings. Most of us had the grilled cod sandwich with fries, which was very good. Spenger's decor is full of Bay Area memories in addition to their yummy seafood.Special Features:
- Needs an Update, BadlyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/7/2014This place had it's heyday at least 40 years ago and it shows on the menu and decor. We arrived on time, got seated, noticed it was extremely hot and stuffy. Asked for the A/C to be turned up & apparently they did, it cooled off. Had to ask for our bottle of wine to be opened. Waiter didn't know how to cut the foil, stood there picking at it with the end of the corkscrew. Here comes lukewarm chowder for my b/f. Sent it back as I enjoyed my wedge salad. His chowder came warmed up & not good, didn't eat it. Not done with appetizers when main course arrived. (Ugh) My swordfish was good, tiny bit dry but no biggie. B/f had seafood fettuccine which he said was okay. Waiter never came by to refill wine. B/f spent next day on the toilet. :-(
- the best place for fishRenny1Dined on 6/7/2014(Why did two stars light up when I clicked only one?)
- SpengersOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/2014I love this restaurant for its history and its style. I used to be a regular when I lived in the Bay Area decades ago. When I returned recently, I was disappointed in the food, however. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't terrific. There were 9 of us and we had a very quiet table in a very quiet room, so we had a great time. But the food was not wonderful. My salmon was overcooked, the rice nondescript;I appreciated that the vegetables were crunchy (that's a plus in my book)...the selection is so much smaller than in the old, old days and it's pretty pricey. I think the sole got got good reviews from the diners and the catfish, too. I still love Spengers as a place and for all the memories. Good service, nice people.Special Features:
- food okOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2014got the stuffed shrimp -- way too bready; veggies were cold. wait staff may be overworked, it took a while for her to come back with our drink orders and the appetizer, but we weren't in a hurry.