Spencer's For Steaks and Chops
Hilton Salt Lake City
255 S. West Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84101Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Spencer's For Steaks and Chops
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.spencersforsteaksandchops.com/saltlake/
- Phone: 8012384748x
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily, Lunch: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Lounge serves food until 11:00pm daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chef James Plant
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Spencer's is also available for special events - parties, meetings and socials are just a few of the ways we can WOW your guests. Give us a call and we will help you plan and execute that unforgettable event so that you can just sit back, relax and enjoy.
A word from Spencer's For Steaks and Chops
Spencer's for Steaks & Chops has been voted Best Steakhouse by Salt Lake Magazine for eight consecutive years. We invite you to join us and enjoy our exclusive USDA Prime grade Black Angus Beef served by our professional and knowledgeable staff. Spencer's also offers over 300 wine selections which have been recognized by Wine Spectator and voted "Best Wine List in Utah" by Salt Lake City Magazine. Allow Spencer's to show you how to enjoy succulent steaks with style! Come see us for lunch or dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Spencer's For Steaks and Chops - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Spencer's For Steaks and Chops reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (25)special occasion (25)fit for foodies (13)notable wine list (12)good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Birthday Dinner Huge SuccessWmHallDined on 10/11/2014Spencers' is simply the best for steaks there is. They take the time to find out exactly what temperature of steak you want and then just prepare it. For Medium Rare we asked did we want medium red or pink. This alone shows that you are in a restaurant that cares about their meat. The side dishes just complimented the dinner and so did the choice of wine as suggested by the waiter. Just a great experience all the way that one should have in this type of a restaurant.Special Features:
- Good food; Decent ServiceCakersDined on 10/2/2014We went for a birthday celebration which was on our open table reservation. We had drinks & the pork belly to start. Both were good. For dinner we ordered the bone-in ribeye & filet trio with creamed corn. The creamed corn was excellent. Both steaks were cooked perfectly. As we were eating, we overheard a different waiter tell a patron at his table happy birthday. He then stated an appetizer of his choice & dessert were free for his birthday. We were surprised to hear this, as our waiter wasn't very personable nor acknowledged the birthday. Another waiter talked to his table & spent time with them. Our waiter barely came by our table. The inconsistencies in servers was really disappointing. Other than that, the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was not goodDinerDined on 10/1/2014When you pay $180 for a meal, you expect it to be outstanding. In this case, our food was worse than a diner. The steak was horribly undercooked and extremely fatty. So much so, that it seemed like there was more fat then meat. The mashed potatoes were cold and didn't taste very good. The creamed spinach was ok. Generally speaking, it was a horrible dining experience. I get better food at Denny's. It really feels like a rip-off when you pay that much money. And, it was my birthday, so kinda ruined that. Stick to Ruth's Chris. Exponentially better.
- Engagement Dinner!FoodG2Dined on 9/26/2014Excellent! My Fiance and I both had the Wagyu beef steak. Medium rare with peppercorn sauce on the side. Crab Cakes and Caprese salad. Pinot Grigio for the appetizer course and a Malbec with our steaks. A perfect night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/19/2014First steak house I've been to that no juices came out of the steaks. We had filet and ribeye steaks. The ribeye was lacking on flavor. Filets were adequate, sides were good. Service was somewhat slow. There are much better steak house to have dinner at than Spencer's.
- Great night at Spencer'sZionWinoDined on 9/10/2014If you are interested in finding the best steakhouse in SLC, then Spencer's is where you want to go. All prime-grade beef; fantastic, creative side dishes; diverse wine list; and excellent service.Special Features:
- All Around ExceptionalelliebDined on 9/6/2014The wait staff was incredibly attentive and knowledgeable. Our waiter was friendly professional and poised. Food was excellent and served in a timely and proper manner. Appetizers were perfectly balanced and wonderful (scallops and calamari) I had the elk and my date had the three way steak and everything was cooked perfectly and amazingly delicious. Even the potatoes were notable-perfectly buttery and the perfect balance of garlic. Wine was tasty and the list wasn't too intimidating for those not as knowledgeable on the subject. Manager cam around to check and was very friendly and courteous. It was obvious he had a hand in the entire restaurant and knew each menu item very well. Wonderful experience and would recommend to anyone!Special Features:
- Seems to be sliding84093VIPDined on 9/6/2014We have eaten at this restaurant many times over the last few years but the last couple of time we were there it has really began to slide. 1st the ribeye was not even a good cut very disappointing. However, the biggest issue was the waiter deciding to add an automatic 21% tip there was 4 adult and 2 small children and I know that typically they add a tip to party of 8 or more but NOW 6 or More? And the audacity to add 21%. I always tip 20% plus but if offends me that the waiter assumes he is worth 21%. Whenever we had out of town guests we always took them to Spencers, we have season tickets at the theater around the corner and always had dinner before the shows. So for a couple of years we were regular customers
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014This was my second visit and it was AMAZING! Service was perfect food was perfect.Special Features:
- ReliablemeandBDined on 9/4/2014Spencer's is always reliable for very good food, quiet, lovely atmosphere, and great service. They've expanded the menu somewhat, and we had a new kind of creamed corn that was delicious, but it is hard not to settle on one of their delicious, perfectly prepared steaks. Expensive, but worth it.Special Features:
- Horribly overpricedDude84Dined on 9/4/2014All the appetizers were drenched in oil. My salmon wasn't even cooked and was 35 dollars and my 42 dollar steak was worth 15 dollars. Spencer's was the most overpriced steak house I've been to and one of the worst quality steak houses I've been to.Special Features:
- Boys night outfonghDined on 9/2/2014Once every six months, or so, our group of four gets a yen for a massive infusion of beef. If the mood strikes you, we heartily recommend Spencer's. Bone-in rib-eye is absolutely the way to go. Caesar salad, a couple of sides(two of them for four big eaters is plenty). Don't mess around with the "fillers", as the above will leave you sated. Service is always excellent. We prefer to bring at least a couple of bottles of wine from our own cellars, but when running low, the wine list here is commendable. Possibly a dessert or two to share, and perhaps a port to top off the evening. We've been this route 8-10 times over the past few years and have never been disappointed(with the possible exception of the stories flowing about our table).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dinner SpotLRD1Dined on 9/2/2014We were very impressed with our first dinner at Spencer's. The Spencer salad was very good, as was the Classic Caesar (I love anchovies and they were missing which surprised me but delicious nonetheless). My husband had the Cowboy steak which was out of this world. Cooked to absolute perfection. I had the half lobster tail and scallops and all was fantastic. The only constructive comment is on the Calamari, it was good but was missing a little something. Go in knowing this will be an excellent (and expensive) dining experience that will be memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Screaming Kids PleaseSamthesheepdogDined on 8/30/2014On our visit to Spencer's the food, service, and drinks were again excellent. This restaurant is one of my favorites will continue to be. On this occasion however the normal quiet, relaxed atmosphere of Spencer's was shattered by a very young child's screaming. Mind you this was not a normal level of child like noises or talking. This was insistent, continued, uncomfortable screaming, much like a young child who is feverish and teething or perhaps ill. I don't blame the child as it was obvious the parents were not only inconsiderate of other diners in the restaurant but more importantly very inconsiderate of their child who was obviously in some distress and not simply acting out.Special Features:
- AmazedBmickDined on 8/23/2014I moved away from SLC in 2002 and Spencer's was my fine dinning place of choice. I lived in Las Vegas until for the past 12 years and there was only a handful of fine dinning restaurants there that can complete with Spencer's. I was amazed though to see that the prices were around the same as I remembered them 12 years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphere, but....beenaroundtheblockDined on 8/23/2014We really enjoyed the food. It was just my wife and I and it was very romantic and a great place to eat for just two. The waiter was great, came around enough, but wasn't overly bothersome. However, it was a little pricey. I am willing to pay extra for the experience, but I felt it was over priced. It was a Saturday night and not too busy, and that may be the reason why. I have been to NYC and the quality and price was very comparable, but this is Salt Lake City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average Food for Above Average $$NoviceFoodieDined on 8/12/2014Spencer's is an al a carte menu for all items and they are priced fairly high. Least expensive steak on the menu is about $42. Prepared to treat myself, I had ordered the Wagyu Tenderloin for about $60. Disappointingly, they had run out of that cut of beef. I settled for the New York Strip. The meat was well prepared, but lacked good seasoning. The side dishes were the best part of my meal (smashed potatoes and creamed spinach). The drinks were delicious -- very small for $15 a drink. I am not from Salt Lake City, but that may have something to do with the rules around serving alcoholic beverages in the state of Utah. The total cost of the meal for two of us was just over $200. I've had far better selection and steak for the same costSpecial Features:
- Anniversary Treat!KyleDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I had our 10th Anniversary dinner at Spencers. This was our first time there and what a perfect choice it was. Service and Food were perfect. The staff, from the hostess, waiter, manager, and executive chef, each came by to wish us a happy anniversary. Everything was 5+ stars!Special Features:
- VERY GOOD FOOD & SERVICEDickVIPDined on 7/5/2014WE WERE ON A ONE NIGHT STAY AND I HAD THE 12 OZ. FILET AND MY WIFE HAD THE SALMON. BOTH WERE VERY GOOD AND THE WAITER, JAKE, WAS VERY GOOD. WHEN WE RETURN, WE WILL EAT HERE AGAIN.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinnerYummy4urtummyDined on 6/28/2014We have been a few times over the years and never disappointed. This is one of Salt Lakes gems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best crab cakes!SLCeatDined on 6/24/2014My wife and business associates have always loved Spencer's. Their food is great and always as ordered. One downside to this is that the waiters can be a little slow at servicing you. I find my drink empty more often than I like and if there is anything else needed it's tough to even see them in the area at times to wave them down.Special Features:
- The following 401 reviews are from the Spencer's For Steaks and Chops reviews archive.
- Good ServiceBrookelinDined on 6/21/2014When me and my husband went we both ordered the bacon wrapped scallops as an appetizer. After watching the table next to us receive their appetizers, and then their meals, with no sign of our scallops I was a bit annoyed. It wasn't long however before the manager came out and apologized for the delay and informed us that our scallops were on the house because of the long wait. We had not asked to be comped, and we hadn't been acting annoyed or put out about it, so I was very impressed that she took the initiative to make sure we had a good dining experience. Once the food did make it out to us it was fantastic. I do wish they had a few more side dish options, but the ones we tried were very good.Special Features:
- Spencer's review June 2014goodeatDined on 6/7/2014We went for our anniversary. And the food was amazing the portions. Are large the service was right on it but expect To spend a pretty penny we spent 200 just for the 2 of usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Gem in Salt Lake CityPickyFromChicagoDined on 6/1/2014I had NO idea such a delightful place existed in SLC. The service, from the free valet parking, to the hostess, to the wait staff was spectacular. The food was AMAZING. Sure it's expensive, but in Utah "expensive" does NOT equal "extraordinary." The staff went out of their way to accommodate us. We were having an early dinner on Sunday before a show. The staff did everything flawlessly and subtly to move us along on our timeline (which we only had to explain once.) The ambiance is dark, oak, refined. The tables are "low" (which was a bit odd) but everything else made it eventually not noticeable. I have a new favorite place in Salt Lake City.Special Features:
- Last night in TownBrichCRADined on 5/10/2014We really wanted something special for our last night on our first trip to Salt Lake City. Wary as the restaurant was in the Hilton, but this place did not disappoint. Old world, handsome décor. Knowledgeable and efficient wait staff. The food was outstanding. Not very many places actually prepare a steak "Pittsburgh style" and this place cooked it perfectly. All in all the food was so good that I felt badly that I just couldn't finish it all.Special Features:
- bliss62luvgoodfoodDined on 4/25/2014oustanding menu with best steaks in town and the kind of service i havent seen in salt lake in 20 yrs of dining absolutely fabulous wine selection hands down my favorite restaurant pricey but worth every pennySpecial Features:
- Never2Dined on 4/24/2014Beautiful restaurant, the food was somewhat disappointingSpecial Features:
- What a Steak Should be.trentrockportDined on 4/18/2014Seldom am I willing to part with fifty dollars for a steak. But for a perfectly aged, perfectly prepared steak, I eagerly do so. Spencer's knows good steak. Period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thumbs up and thumbs downOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014Our evening meal was rather early at 5 pm, so there were not a lot of people there. The music was mellow and created a romantic mood. The vegetables were cooked to perfection and my husband enjoyed his steak immensely. I, however, was not as pleased. portion wise was excellent, but quality was not as good. Mostly I thought that charging separately for the vegetables, while charging such high price for the steak alone, was not only unexpected, but presumptuous, as the quality of the steak alone did not warrant the price, then adding additional pricing for the vegetables, just added insult to injury. The service was excellent, so improve the quality or adjust your prices to reflect the quality is my recommendation. Better crockery a must.Special Features:
- In Good FashionJLJazzDined on 4/3/2014This Spencer's competes head to head with any of the top notch Chop Houses. Rich in ambience and with great food and service, you can't miss with this choice.Special Features:
- Had high expectationsHDMac99Dined on 3/6/2014We were a bit disappointed with the overall experience. Spencer's is next door to Ruth's Chris where we have eaten several times. In food, service, and ambiance, Ruth's Chris was our clear favorite. We had the filet which was a little undercooked and lacked flavor. The sides ( green beans almandine, smashed potatoes) were excellent. The service was adequate, but nothing special. We were never even asked if we wanted a second drink, and our food was gone before anyone asked if it was cooked alright. Since the price is about the same as Ruth's Chris, I doubt we'll go back to Spencer's.Special Features:
- Great steaksleeplessinslcDined on 3/6/2014Quality of steak, appetizer, and side were very good. Quiet atmosphere with attentive service. Prices aren't cheap, but for a gigh end streak / chop house, the prices were as expected. The orders at out table we the fillet, New York, and rib eye with everyone making positive comments on the quality and preparation of our orders. I will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing4letternicknameDined on 3/1/2014Visited on a Saturday evening with reservations. Arrived 20 mins early to check-in and enjoy a drink before dinner. The bar was not well stocked and as such we couldn't get our first two drink selections. Both selections were for common rye whiskies that are available everywhere we go. Finally settled on a scotch that they did have in stock. As we finished our drinks I went back to the host to tell her we were ready anytime, still 5 mins before our reservation time. The host had forgotten about us and we proceeded to wait another 15 -20 mins to be seated. Our server was friendly but very busy since he was getting seated an extra table. When we ordered our first selection, the green beans, we were told they were out.Special Features:
- Intimate diningSandiDined on 2/28/2014The environment was very nice and the food was excellent. The server seemed a bit harried and I didn't see that there was a really large crowd. I'm wondering if he was one of only a few servers and had to take care of a number of tables. Other than that, it was really nice. It's also conveniently located so you can walk around downtown after dinner.Special Features:
- Awesome food, slow serviceAnonDined on 2/21/2014This was my second time eating at Spencer's in the past month, and both times I was disappointed with the attentiveness of the server. The steaks, sides, and apps were all amazing; however we found ourselves parched waiting for drinks while waiting for food. We were there for three hours, and a good portion of that time was waiting without a server checking in to see if we wanted drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waiter serviceUjazz1127Dined on 2/15/2014The waiter was awesome. He was checking in on us and we didn't have to wait for anything. The food was ok. For the amount of the food there is other steak houses that better steak for same priceSpecial Features:
- Perfect for ValentinesBahkekaDined on 2/14/2014We had an amazing dinner with attentive service in quiet dark ambiance. We tried the calamari for a starter. It was perfect with no hint of chewiness. My husband had the ribeye and it was done to perfection. I had the Wagyu tenderloin with onions and mushrooms, fabulous! We also shared the smashed garlic potatoes. They were delicious. We were informed of special menu items and attended to without being overly interrupted. I would recommend Spencer's for all special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeQT801Dined on 2/14/2014Great food, service and ambiance. One of our favorite places to go for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific steakSpurfyDined on 2/14/2014We had a great Valentine's dinner here. My steak was out of this world, and the waiter was knowledgeable enough to warn us that Spencer's undercooks - if I normally get a medium I should order a medium well. I took his suggestion and it was cooked to perfection. The mushrooms were wonderful, husband thoroughly enjoyed his lamb, and the chocolate not-cake with homemade ice cream was to die for. Very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!trailrunrDined on 2/12/2014Team dinner for our office to celebrate our great accomplishments. Really special. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.