2424 Lincoln Ave
Alameda, CA 94501Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.speisekammer.com/
- Phone: 5105221300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner Tuesday - Sunday
Closed on Mondays
open at 11:30 - serving lunch until 3pm
Bar menu in between lunch & dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, German, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Peter Kahl
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Speisekammer offers full catering featuring German and European food. Holiday parties, Oktoberfest parties, Weddings, Birthdays, Anniversaries, Office Parties.
Speisekammer has many repeat clients including the German Consulate of SF. Peter Kahl is a European trained chef and his skills are not limited to German cuisine.
In-house we can accommodate groups of 2-200.
The back room seats 60 people and has a projection screen TV with wireless internet for company presentations.
Ask for Cindy to plan you event - email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: There is a private room for up to 60 people. Private parties from 10 - 200 people available. Rental of the entire restaurant is possible for larger events.
- Private Party Contact: Cindy Kahl 5105221300
- Entertainment: Live music Fri and Sat nights (and some Thursdays)
8:30 - no cover charge
- Special Events:
Closed on July 4th
Closed on Thanksgiving
Closed on Christmas Eve
Closed on Christmas Day
- Cross Street: Park St.
- Public Transit: A.C. Transit, Park & Lincoln
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: The lot is available until full and is located to the immediate right of the restaurant. After 6:00pm, parking across the street at Oil Changers is allowed.
Also - The library on the other side of Park St. has a parking lot
A word from Speisekammer
Speisekammer serves up the best German cuisine this side of the pond! Cooking up original German recipes, pouring an outstanding selection of German beer, crafty cocktails and an extensive wine selection, Peter and Cindy will provide you with an experience you'll be eager to repeat. Listen to local musicians play Thursday through Saturday. Come by and sit in the Biergarten or by the fireplace and enjoy what's on tap!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Speisekammer - Best Restaurants in Alameda ›
Speisekammer reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (63)great for outdoor dining (55)good for groups (50)kid-friendly (44)great for lunch (33)fit for foodies (30)vibrant bar scene (27)special occasion (24)hot spot (12)great for brunch (10)romantic (9)notable wine list (9)late-night find (6)Show More
- Gem in the roughSullyDined on 8/23/2014Was introduced to Speisekammer by a friend who lives in Jack London Square (I'm in Fremont). Was not expecting much but have to say that the food was outstanding and the pricing was great. Traditional German food with a large variety to pick from on their menu. Eating in the front of the building is the best, out back is more for families with kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NzuckDined on 8/23/2014Great potato pancakes and awesome German beers on rap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- danke schöngraceDined on 8/22/2014Friendly, lively atmosphere. Authentic, delicious German food: Wiener Schnitzel, creamy Spätzle and beet salad are a wonderful combination. Portions are HUGE. Full bar. Excellent service. Staff works together to ensure rapid service to all. Delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cateintracyDined on 8/22/2014Excellent food, friendly staff, locals too. Went to hear music and enjoy the food, got exactly what I went for.
- Amazing German foodthankfulldinnerDined on 8/12/2014If you are looking for authentic German food this is the place. The menu is very complete with lots of variety - hard time choosing so we ordered half orders so we could taste everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greaat German FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014The food was excellent. The beer ist great. The Band was great. A bitt noisy from the table next to us. Good service. Would recommend this restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delightfulPariscopeVIPDined on 8/2/2014The German dishes are spot-on. I think they may have the best sauerkraut I've ever tasted and my partner and I both think it's the best German food we've had in the Bay Area. I love the crispiness of the Wienerschnitzel. Potatoes are done with onions and bacon. I've never had a dish that wasn't excellently prepared. Wines are reasonably priced and well chosen. The service is efficient, friendly, and charming.Special Features:
- Great German food and beer!MargaretBVIPDined on 7/27/2014The beer list is impressive. The menu contains all the traditional German food you would expect, plus a few vegetarian options that are delicious. I had the veggie strudel and my daughters had the cheese spaetzle. Both were delicious. The traditional German entrees were also very good,Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014food was as expected: spaetzle wtih ham & wienerschnitzlel were good. chicken dish was overcooked and DRY. pretty good beer list but need to include sour beers. ambience was not german (steins on a shelf and posters are not enough), making the experience seem inauthentic & "off." just a few touches & details would make a huge difference. our server (from maui) was likable and helpful. many patrons were dressed waaaay down. almost seemed like they came straight from outdoor chores/activities. unappetizing! parking was difficult. probably won't return.
- One of the best in Alameda!PunkieVIPDined on 7/19/2014We have been dining at Speisekammer for years and have always had the BEST experiences. The food is phenomenal and the service is generally wonderful. We love bringing out of town guests or going in groups to celebrate birthdays or other special occasions. We love that it's so kid-friendly too! We also enjoy the live music on Fridays and Saturdays. They really know how to showcase good local music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best !!BoBoDined on 7/19/2014I'll keep this simple....some of the BEST German food this side of Germany !! We drive from San Francisco JUST to eat here !! And, ALWAYS wonderful !!! RUN...don't walk to Speisekammer !!!Special Features:
- Always reliableRegularDined on 7/18/2014We come here regularly and are never disappointed. Best German food in the area.Special Features:
- 1, 2, g'suffa!gonzoDined on 7/18/2014Excellent selection of German food & beer. Full bar. Music is great on live entertainment nights and its not polka: Rockabilly, jazz, country, blues, Irish drinking songs, sea shanties, etc. - many different groups - check the schedule: http://www.speisekammer.com/music.pdfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tinkDined on 7/10/2014Potato pancakes -- great! Sausage -- very good! salad -- very good! Schnitzel -- dry, too much coating, tasteless! Will probably go again to try one more dish that isn't brat-based. Otherwise, it's a great place for brats, beer and very friendly ambiance. (And I will definitely tell this to anyone who asks for a recommendation.)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better this timeWeEatOutVIPDined on 6/29/2014We've been to Speisekammer at least 4 times for dinner. Our last visit suffered from an inattentive server, but this visit was back to the high standard we have come to expect. Food is excellent and the German beers are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Germany fpodwunderbarDined on 6/24/2014Beirgarten. Good spot. Tasty food and imported beer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude hostess and so-so serviceMayaDined on 6/21/2014Reservation was for 9:15. Arrived at 9:11 and was scolded by the hostess that we were too early and they weren't ready for us. Huh?? We don't mind waiting for a little while, but do you have to make us feel unwanted? The service was so-so. Seems like we were an after thought to the larger table that was sat 15 minutes after us.
- MmmFoodDined on 6/21/2014A wonderful date night out- delicious food, great beer, and an exciting ambiance. Although we waited for a table- and the hostess's attention- despite a reservation, our waitress quickly made up any shortage in the service department. We settled in with two brews from an expansive draft list and started with the potato pancakes- perfect golden brown and served with a succulent apple compote (much better than the standard applesauce garnish) and a tasty beet soup. Dinner came another beer later: mouth-watering creamy spatzle and bacon (and the taste to match) and a very flavorful (if a bit salty) sauerbraten with exquisitely pickled red cabbage. Pair the attentive waitress and delicious food with live jazz, and you have a perfect night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- And they have great food!CapnEddyDined on 6/21/2014We went to Speisekammer primarily to hear one of our favorite musical groups, however, the food and service was beyond our expectations. We advised our server that we weren't in a big hurry and just wanted a leisurely dinner while listening to the band. She paced the dinner perfectly, brought our beverages in a timely fashion, and made several suggestions from the daily and standard menu. My wife ordered the halibut special, which was done perfectly, and I had the delicious jagerschnitzel, which was better than any I have had in Germany. We usually don't do desert, but our server suggested that we try the apfelstrudel with homemade ice cream - it was superb. Finally, the check was surprisingly affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cant go wrong with this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/19/2014Great German food. I have yet to have a bad meal here in my years of dining with them. The staff is always super friendly they have an amazing beer selection, a great patio for when its warm enough to sit outside and a beautiful fire place in the back for cold nights. A+ all aroundSpecial Features:
- Wonderful neighborhood spotSF415Dined on 6/18/2014Speisekammer is a great neighborhood spot for any type of meal, whether you want to come with friends or by yourself. Really nice, down-to-earth atmosphere with welcoming and caring service. I thought it was kind of funny because what they call the "beer garden" out front really looks like it used to be the patio of a former taqueria… just a funny combination. ;-) Homestyle food with lots of space to enjoy sports on TV, or a quiet meal in the corner. I also really enjoyed the fact that there were people there of all ages and all ethnicities. For German food! Would definitely come back again.Special Features:
- Very Nice PlaceFamilyDinner2014Dined on 6/18/2014Went for a memorial dinner for my brother and the place fit the needs perfectly. However, we found the service to be a bit slow. One poor girl handling the whole room of tables. Could have used help.Special Features:
- Perenial Favorite!NightOutDined on 6/13/2014Out-of-town friends wanted to take us out for dinner "pick your favorite place"....so we did. The food is always good with an interesting menu. They chose different entrees then half way thru the meal switched plates...very cute. They would love to eat here again. My steak was a bit overcooked, which surprised me; usually the orders are perfect. However, I won't let that stop me from coming back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Hearty FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014Good Food, Good Service, Nice Place, Good Food, Good Service, Nice Place, Good Food, Good Service, Nice Place, Good Food, Good Service, Nice Place, Good Food, Good Service, Nice Place, Good Food, Good Service, Nice Place, Good Food, Good Service, Nice PlaceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED SPEISEKAMMER!!amaazingracebDined on 6/3/2014I thoroughly enjoyed the gravlax, and the lovely bread dumpling in a delicious mushroom sauce; my husband raved about his potato-leek soup, and his bounteous portion of lamb shanks. Our waiter was personable and efficient. We'll definitely return. A delightful evening all around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- festive atmospheredbromonDined on 5/31/2014I brought my parents here, and now they want to go back every time they visit. They have a large German beer selection, the food is good, and the atmosphere is festive. The music, when they have it, makes you move in your seat as you are smiling and enjoying your dinner. The music does make it a little hard to talk if you are by the band, so if you may want to sit in one of the back rooms if you don't want to listen to the music.Special Features:
- Glad We Tried ItOutnAboutDined on 5/29/2014We've been wanting to try this restaurant for a while and are glad we did. It was a fine experience and we would probably come back. Our experience with the food was mixed. We both had sauerbrauten. I enjoyed it more than my wife. We agreed on the desserts. They were excellent. Parking is an issue even with their small parking area, so plan a little extra time to find a place and walk to the restaurant. It is obviously a popular spot.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014German restaurants aren't as omnipresent as others, so I'm always happy to find one--and this one was GOOD! The menu has everything you would expect being an American--potato pancakes, sausages, spaetzle, apfel strudel, weinerschnitzel, great beer selection--and others I hadn't heard of that seem authentic. All of the food was excellent. It was pretty dead on a Memorial Day Sunday night ~8pm, which was fine for us. Compare that to a German restaurant we went to in SF, where we waited an hour for a table in a tiny, loud room. Service lost 1 star as at the end the waitress seemed to be totally done--I'm not sure if we did something (used a LivingSocial deal?) or if she got some bad news, but her attitude completely changed once we paid.Special Features:
- A gem in AlamedaCheapThrillsDined on 5/23/2014Great hearty German food, with a good wine list featuring German Rieslings and a deep and well chosen beer selection. The best part is they book music on weekends by some of the best local bands: a little blues, a little gypsy jazz, a little country, and all free-no cover. Should be better known.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reviewing speisekammerGeminiDined on 5/23/2014Love this place; the hostess was very accommodating when we wanted to sit outside, even though we had reserved a table inside, at 6:30 on a Friday night. When it was getting chilly, we asked if it was possible to be seated inside. The hostess found us a table right away. We were lucky that it wasn't as crowded as it usually is on a Friday night, possibly it being Memorial Weekend and crowds being out of town but the hostess still deserves many accolades for her help. Waitstaff friendly, delicious food, one of the best restaurants this small city has to offer. Crazy crowded during Oktoberfest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good beersFrankDined on 5/17/2014We love this restaurant, it has a unique atmosphere, good food and great music on some days.Special Features:
- Mix it up a bit, please?LeslieDined on 5/17/2014It's been a few years since our last visit to local spot, Speisekammer. It's still a good restaurant but we've evolved our tastes a bit and generally enjoy new places or tend to do repeat visits to restaurants with consistent quality but a bit more experimental. The vegetarian offerings here are the same as they were 12+ years ago. I remember back then feeling gratitude for the one entree and sides...but I've been to Germany since then -- and ate at first rate vegetarian restaurants -- and the SF Bay Area has lots of restaurants with interesting vegetarian options. I invite the chef to broaden his horizons...why not put a German twist on another vegetarian option? Why not make pea soup without meat? And you got rid of the German bread? ;-(Special Features:
- Fun 2 order as Mezze plates &share!MeekoB94501VIPDined on 5/11/2014The sausage/smoked pork chop platter couldn't be passed up, gravlax good (a bit tough and heavy on the dill sauce), potato pancakes great. Make sure to know their modified menu if going late in the afternoon. Great service and food, as always.Special Features:
- Germany on the baydineouttoomuchDined on 5/11/2014This may be my favorite Alameda restaurant. Very good modern German food with friendly service in authentic European style. They have a very comfortable bar with many beer, wine, and cocktail choices. Eclectic styles of live music with no cover charge on weekend nights. The customers seem to be a blend of friendly locals and international ex-pats. I feel a little guilty not giving them five stars but I'm afraid the prices will go up and I won't be able to get in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014We had Mother's Day lunch here and the food was good. Most of us had the Sauerbraten and it was tender and sauce was quite good. The service was good. Really not much to complain about.Special Features:
- Great, authentic German foodEsschmektDined on 5/10/2014Everything tasted great and was cooked to perfect. Highly recommend this restaurant for the food. It gets a little loud as more people arrive, but not unpleasantly do. Every time I've been there, small children have been present, but this hasn't spoiled an evening so far.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceRsGoOutToEatDined on 5/9/2014Went there on a recommendation of a friend and loved it! Never had German food and we really liked it. Loved that we could talk without telling across the table. Super evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day LunchJoyceKarenDined on 5/9/2014My kid took me here. I have been here many times before. It is outstanding!! Marco, our server was wonderful. Food is always good. My kid loved the beer. I will continue this place on the top of my list!!!Special Features:
- Satisfied My Cravings!eyesofslateDined on 5/2/2014As a craft beer junkie and lover of German food, I knew I had to try Speisekammer. While it took me a while to make my way there, it did not disappoint. With a great selection of beers from Germany (and one Pacific Northwest IPA for those who need hops) that tasted fresh, and not overexposed, that alone was worth the drive. The food was excellent as well, with the beef and cabbage roulade being my favorite of the 3 dishes we tried.Special Features:
- The following 504 reviews are from the Speisekammer reviews archive.
- Our favorite!FaschnizztzelDined on 4/30/2014Speisekammer was brought to our attention by some very good friends, about 4 years ago...it's been a love affair, ever since! We adore Speisekammer, from the comfortable setting, to the outdoor seating, to the fantastic wait staff, to the food which is absolutely spectacular! We love the Weiner Schnitzel, the potato pancakes, and sausages...wife's fave is the cabbage! This place rocks!Special Features: