2424 Lincoln Ave
Alameda, CA 94501Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.speisekammer.com/
- Phone: (510) 522-1300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner Tuesday - Sunday
Closed on Mondays
open at 11:30 - serving lunch until 3pm
Bar menu in between lunch & dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, German, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Peter Kahl
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Speisekammer offers full catering featuring German and European food. Holiday parties, Oktoberfest parties, Weddings, Birthdays, Anniversaries, Office Parties.
Speisekammer has many repeat clients including the German Consulate of SF. Peter Kahl is a European trained chef and his skills are not limited to German cuisine.
In-house we can accommodate groups of 2-200.
The back room seats 60 people and has a projection screen TV with wireless internet for company presentations.
Ask for Cindy to plan you event - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: There is a private room for up to 60 people. Private parties from 10 - 200 people available. Rental of the entire restaurant is possible for larger events.
- Private Party Contact: Cindy Kahl 5105221300
- Entertainment: Live music Fri and Sat nights (and some Thursdays)
8:30 - no cover charge
- Special Events:
Closed on July 4th
Closed on Thanksgiving
Closed on Christmas Eve
Closed on Christmas Day
- Cross Street: Park St.
- Public Transit: A.C. Transit, Park & Lincoln
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: The lot is available until full and is located to the immediate right of the restaurant. After 6:00pm, parking across the street at Oil Changers is allowed.
Also - The library on the other side of Park St. has a parking lot
A word from Speisekammer
Speisekammer serves up the best German cuisine this side of the pond! Cooking up original German recipes, pouring an outstanding selection of German beer, crafty cocktails and an extensive wine selection, Peter and Cindy will provide you with an experience you'll be eager to repeat. Listen to local musicians play Thursday through Saturday. Come by and sit in the Biergarten or by the fireplace and enjoy what's on tap!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Speisekammer - Best Restaurants in Alameda ›
Speisekammer reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (38)great for outdoor dining (36)good for groups (29)fit for foodies (26)kid-friendly (24)vibrant bar scene (22)special occasion (20)great for lunch (11)romantic (10)hot spot (9)notable wine list (7)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Nice restaurant with German style food and beerNickDined on 11/18/2014My wife and I had dinner here on 11/18/2014. Our server was also managing the bar. He was so efficient and pleasant in spite of being busy, he must have been the owner (but we are not certain). The two beers we ordered were served in steins and were superb. The mixed salad plates were quite nice and the small size was quite large. My wife ordered the large mixed grill meat platter which she found excellent. Being from Europe, she knows what these types of things are supposed to be like. My roasted half chicken was good, but the accompanying broccoli was not cooked quite enough. The complimentary birthday apple strudel was the best I have ever had. Decor was not great but the atmosphere was relaxing. Our server had the perfect balance of being attentive and not overly intrusive, and making sure we had everything we needed in a timely manner. We highly recommend this place for those who want to try this type of food and beer, and expect to be back someday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat, Drink and Be Merry!ChrisDined on 11/14/2014Always fun to stop in at Speisekammer for a little German delicacy or full fledged meal like gramma used to whip up! Big bonus to have local music on the weekends, dog friendly beer garden for those sunny days and a full bar with fabulous cocktails and beer. Make sure to put this one on your list for once a week dining out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the beer, stay for the food.AmyC123Dined on 11/14/2014Everyone who served us was warm, welcoming, and very helpful. Our dinner was delicious, and the dessert and cocktails that followed really took the cake, so to speak! (that's a hint to order the German chocolate)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food BUT Too Noisy!LILQLTRDined on 10/26/2014As always, the food was hot and delicious. The server was the best we've ever had. Really outstanding for our group of 13. We asked for a table in the quiet room, in the back by the fireplace. Last minute we were moved because they set up a TV back there for the World Series. Ok, no problem. However, there was also a fund raiser being held to support some local businesses that were recently burned out. No problem! We were more than happy to chip in. And, it was a vibrant Sunday evening dinner crowd. No problem there either. But, all mixed together made for one of the noisiest restaurants I've ever been in. Our friends were not impressed with the restaurant despite the great food. Way too much atmosphere for them!Special Features:
- Continuing excellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014We've been to Speisekammer a number of times and it never fails to please. This time, we had a native German friend with us and she loved it as much as we did. Try it - you'll like it!
- FoodVIPDined on 10/25/2014Good food and good wait staff. Aloof, slow bartenders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite German food!KP28Dined on 10/15/2014If you are out in the Bay area and want a taste of homemade german food, go to Speisekammer! The service was exceptional throughout our dining experience. The drinks are powerful and tasty. You won't be disappointed. The food was by far, the best german cuisine I've ever tasted! That is saying a lot since we live in New York and have access to some terrific german restaurants back home. My sister and I believe this is the best german food we've ever tasted outside of Germany. The potato pancakes are wonderful - crisp and flavorful. We also ordered the ghoulash, lamb chops, pork tenderloins, pork chop and the sauerbraten. All of it was awesome! Great find in the Bay area.Special Features:
- Fantastic...AGAIN!MDeVitoDined on 10/11/2014We absolutely LOVE Speisekammer! Always perfect service, excellent food, and bustling energy everywhere. Exquisite food, each dish was perfection, and delicious! The kids ate everything on their plates, we had to seriously try hard to stop, as everything was so good, we overate to be certain. Delightful wait staff, thoughtful and caring...it is without a doubt, our favorite restaurant. Thanks Speisekammer!!!Special Features:
- October birthdaygreatfoodrocksDined on 10/10/2014This is the second time my husband has chosen to spend his October birthday at Speisekammer, he likes the Oktoberfest vibe, even if we're not there during the overt Oktoberfest observances. The food is fantastic, the beer list is great, and, best of all, the restaurant can easily accommodate pretty big groups. We were nine people, and not all arrived at the same time, one in fact came long after we'd given up on him, and the serving staff seemed able to handle us plus several other fairly large and rowdy groups. I particularly liked the schweinebraten, which I had not had before.Special Features:
- Deja Vu OctoberFestJoefusDined on 10/7/2014We returned for this year's OctoberFest dining experience. The food was delicious and prepared to our specifications. The wait staff was attentive and responsive to our needs. The OctoberFest beer offerings were the Schofer Grapefruit and the Erdinger Fest with their grapefruit and citrus notes respectively. The wife enjoyed the Tafelspitz (poached Tri-Tip in horseradish sauce) and I enjoyed the medium-rare NY Steak. We shared the Black Forest Ham and Melon appetizer. I also had a bowl of the Soup of the Day of Split Peas which was pleasantly seasoned. We were stuffed by the ample portions, so no dessert. Afterwards, we walked up and down Park St and noticed the advertisements for the upcoming annual Zombie Crawl. A very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great German FoodMetoDined on 9/20/2014We greatly enjoyed our meal and had plenty to take home. There was a good selection of German beers to pick from. The only downside is finding a place to park near the restaurant.Special Features:
- great restaurantdining4usDined on 9/20/2014Lovely birthday celebration, great food, and great place to take small child. Will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent German CuisineJaysonDined on 9/12/2014This place is absolutely amazing. It's every bit as delicious as Suppenküche in SF. The Cheese and Fruit plate is an outstanding appetizer. The Sauerbraten and Jägerschnitzel are amazing. I love to split the Gegrillte Fleischplatte, too. It's all just awesome. And they have an incredible selection of German Beers. Just go already.Special Features:
- SpeisekammerCAnneDined on 9/5/2014The food was fantastic, enjoyable wine list, pleasant service, very much 1950s German. Very loud though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was comforting and tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/4/2014I've been here twice, once with extended family, once for just dinner with my wife. Both times the service was just "okay." The second time was better than the first, but it felt like it was not attentive enough. (i.e. we had to flag down the server for refills, check on food delivery, etc.) The food was good, but the service could use a little improvement, a little bit would go a long way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you want German, this is it!MemlouiseVIPDined on 9/2/2014Wow. Great food, great service, great ambiance. This is not "classy" or "romantic" but it's fun as hell with so much to explore on the menu. It's was extremely quiet while we were there - too much so. The place begs for vibrant, social sharing over great German people's food and beer! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in the roughSullyVIPDined on 8/23/2014Was introduced to Speisekammer by a friend who lives in Jack London Square (I'm in Fremont). Was not expecting much but have to say that the food was outstanding and the pricing was great. Traditional German food with a large variety to pick from on their menu. Eating in the front of the building is the best, out back is more for families with kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NzuckDined on 8/23/2014Great potato pancakes and awesome German beers on rap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- danke schöngraceDined on 8/22/2014Friendly, lively atmosphere. Authentic, delicious German food: Wiener Schnitzel, creamy Spätzle and beet salad are a wonderful combination. Portions are HUGE. Full bar. Excellent service. Staff works together to ensure rapid service to all. Delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cateintracyDined on 8/22/2014Excellent food, friendly staff, locals too. Went to hear music and enjoy the food, got exactly what I went for.
- Amazing German foodthankfulldinnerDined on 8/12/2014If you are looking for authentic German food this is the place. The menu is very complete with lots of variety - hard time choosing so we ordered half orders so we could taste everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greaat German FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014The food was excellent. The beer ist great. The Band was great. A bitt noisy from the table next to us. Good service. Would recommend this restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delightfulPariscopeVIPDined on 8/2/2014The German dishes are spot-on. I think they may have the best sauerkraut I've ever tasted and my partner and I both think it's the best German food we've had in the Bay Area. I love the crispiness of the Wienerschnitzel. Potatoes are done with onions and bacon. I've never had a dish that wasn't excellently prepared. Wines are reasonably priced and well chosen. The service is efficient, friendly, and charming.Special Features:
- The following 536 reviews are from the Speisekammer reviews archive.
- Great German food and beer!MargaretBVIPDined on 7/27/2014The beer list is impressive. The menu contains all the traditional German food you would expect, plus a few vegetarian options that are delicious. I had the veggie strudel and my daughters had the cheese spaetzle. Both were delicious. The traditional German entrees were also very good,Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014food was as expected: spaetzle wtih ham & wienerschnitzlel were good. chicken dish was overcooked and DRY. pretty good beer list but need to include sour beers. ambience was not german (steins on a shelf and posters are not enough), making the experience seem inauthentic & "off." just a few touches & details would make a huge difference. our server (from maui) was likable and helpful. many patrons were dressed waaaay down. almost seemed like they came straight from outdoor chores/activities. unappetizing! parking was difficult. probably won't return.
- One of the best in Alameda!PunkieVIPDined on 7/19/2014We have been dining at Speisekammer for years and have always had the BEST experiences. The food is phenomenal and the service is generally wonderful. We love bringing out of town guests or going in groups to celebrate birthdays or other special occasions. We love that it's so kid-friendly too! We also enjoy the live music on Fridays and Saturdays. They really know how to showcase good local music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best !!BoBoDined on 7/19/2014I'll keep this simple....some of the BEST German food this side of Germany !! We drive from San Francisco JUST to eat here !! And, ALWAYS wonderful !!! RUN...don't walk to Speisekammer !!!Special Features:
- Always reliableRegularDined on 7/18/2014We come here regularly and are never disappointed. Best German food in the area.Special Features:
- 1, 2, g'suffa!gonzoDined on 7/18/2014Excellent selection of German food & beer. Full bar. Music is great on live entertainment nights and its not polka: Rockabilly, jazz, country, blues, Irish drinking songs, sea shanties, etc. - many different groups - check the schedule: http://www.speisekammer.com/music.pdfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tinkDined on 7/10/2014Potato pancakes -- great! Sausage -- very good! salad -- very good! Schnitzel -- dry, too much coating, tasteless! Will probably go again to try one more dish that isn't brat-based. Otherwise, it's a great place for brats, beer and very friendly ambiance. (And I will definitely tell this to anyone who asks for a recommendation.)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better this timeWeEatOutVIPDined on 6/29/2014We've been to Speisekammer at least 4 times for dinner. Our last visit suffered from an inattentive server, but this visit was back to the high standard we have come to expect. Food is excellent and the German beers are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Germany fpodwunderbarDined on 6/24/2014Beirgarten. Good spot. Tasty food and imported beer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude hostess and so-so serviceMayaDined on 6/21/2014Reservation was for 9:15. Arrived at 9:11 and was scolded by the hostess that we were too early and they weren't ready for us. Huh?? We don't mind waiting for a little while, but do you have to make us feel unwanted? The service was so-so. Seems like we were an after thought to the larger table that was sat 15 minutes after us.
- MmmFoodDined on 6/21/2014A wonderful date night out- delicious food, great beer, and an exciting ambiance. Although we waited for a table- and the hostess's attention- despite a reservation, our waitress quickly made up any shortage in the service department. We settled in with two brews from an expansive draft list and started with the potato pancakes- perfect golden brown and served with a succulent apple compote (much better than the standard applesauce garnish) and a tasty beet soup. Dinner came another beer later: mouth-watering creamy spatzle and bacon (and the taste to match) and a very flavorful (if a bit salty) sauerbraten with exquisitely pickled red cabbage. Pair the attentive waitress and delicious food with live jazz, and you have a perfect night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- And they have great food!CapnEddyDined on 6/21/2014We went to Speisekammer primarily to hear one of our favorite musical groups, however, the food and service was beyond our expectations. We advised our server that we weren't in a big hurry and just wanted a leisurely dinner while listening to the band. She paced the dinner perfectly, brought our beverages in a timely fashion, and made several suggestions from the daily and standard menu. My wife ordered the halibut special, which was done perfectly, and I had the delicious jagerschnitzel, which was better than any I have had in Germany. We usually don't do desert, but our server suggested that we try the apfelstrudel with homemade ice cream - it was superb. Finally, the check was surprisingly affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cant go wrong with this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/19/2014Great German food. I have yet to have a bad meal here in my years of dining with them. The staff is always super friendly they have an amazing beer selection, a great patio for when its warm enough to sit outside and a beautiful fire place in the back for cold nights. A+ all aroundSpecial Features:
- Wonderful neighborhood spotSF415Dined on 6/18/2014Speisekammer is a great neighborhood spot for any type of meal, whether you want to come with friends or by yourself. Really nice, down-to-earth atmosphere with welcoming and caring service. I thought it was kind of funny because what they call the "beer garden" out front really looks like it used to be the patio of a former taqueria… just a funny combination. ;-) Homestyle food with lots of space to enjoy sports on TV, or a quiet meal in the corner. I also really enjoyed the fact that there were people there of all ages and all ethnicities. For German food! Would definitely come back again.Special Features:
- Very Nice PlaceFamilyDinner2014Dined on 6/18/2014Went for a memorial dinner for my brother and the place fit the needs perfectly. However, we found the service to be a bit slow. One poor girl handling the whole room of tables. Could have used help.Special Features:
- Perenial Favorite!NightOutDined on 6/13/2014Out-of-town friends wanted to take us out for dinner "pick your favorite place"....so we did. The food is always good with an interesting menu. They chose different entrees then half way thru the meal switched plates...very cute. They would love to eat here again. My steak was a bit overcooked, which surprised me; usually the orders are perfect. However, I won't let that stop me from coming back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Hearty FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014Good Food, Good Service, Nice Place, Good Food, Good Service, Nice Place, Good Food, Good Service, Nice Place, Good Food, Good Service, Nice Place, Good Food, Good Service, Nice Place, Good Food, Good Service, Nice Place, Good Food, Good Service, Nice PlaceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.