Speckled Hen Tavern
9475 Philips Highway
Jacksonville, FL 32256Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Speckled Hen Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.speckledhentavern.com/
- Phone: 9045380811
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 4:00-9:00 Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: On and offsite catering is offered. We can offer party sized portions from our regular menu or work with you to develop a custom menu for your event
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining for up to 50 guests can be accommodated.
- Private Party Contact: Craig Briner 9045380811
- Entertainment: Acoustic music every Friday from 7 - 10. Check our website, www.speckledhentavern.com, for upcoming musicians.
A word from Speckled Hen Tavern
The Speckled Hen Tavern and Grille is Jacksonville's perfect combination of casual warm elegance and sophisticated Southern comfort food with a "twist". Everything is prepared from scratch and is made to order using fresh, seasonal ingredients. All of our dishes are complimented by our extensive craft beer and specialty wine list. Don't forget to start with one of our signature cocktails! Whether you're enjoying the pecan crusted scallops, shrimp and grits, truffle fries, or a quick bite at lunch we hope you and enjoy and become our newest regular. Make sure to join us early and enjoy our daily happy hour from 3:30 - 6:30.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Speckled Hen Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2013This was my first time eating there and it came highly recommended from some friends. I found the menu limiting and the prices too high for that kind of food and we will not even talk about the lady that was playing there on Friday night and how loud she was. We could not carry on a conversation because of this. I am not sure why they think that music like that is needed right during the dinner hours. 9 or 10 would be perfect. We ended up having to move tables so that at least we could all hear each other and try and have a conversation. Doubt I would ever go back. The place is also very small to try and carry that kind of entertainment. She did have a nice voice but it was not the right place.Special Features:
- Gave this place a shot forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/23/2013Gave this place a shot for date night after reading the menu of this "Southern Gastropub". The highlight of the place is of course the food, they put their own spin on classic Southern dishes. Duck enchilada appetizer was succulent. Another highlight is the extensive import beer list and imaginative cocktails. Their Spring Burger fits the very definition of what an artisan burger should be. The waitress was very friendly and all smiles. The decor could use some sprucing up.Special Features:
- when it opened, it alwaysmaportsVIPDined on 2/23/2013when it opened, it always was full on weekends. this past saturday, it was nearly empty when we arrived at 7pm. the food was just passable. i ordered the new york strip, but was served a ribeye that was full of gristle. the twice baked potato was dry. the service was good, but did no make up for the poor food. no wonder the place was nearly empty.
- The atmosphere is a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/20/2013The atmosphere is a great place for a casual dinner. Good beer selection and prices & live music on Friday nights! We had an attentive server, but the food didn't "wow" us. We started with the crawfish bites--fried perfectly, and the habenero aoili was tasty. I ordered the basil pesto gnocchi. The sauce was very good, it had sauteed veggies and wasn't too oily, but the gnocchi tasted bland. They were basically flavorless without the sauce. We also tried the Spring Burger, which had wonderful toppings (avocado!) but again it needed a little seasoning. Charred tomato salsa was served on the side, and that was very good. A decent place to have dinner if you're in this area, but room for improvement.
- I took my girlfriend for ValentinesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013I took my girlfriend for Valentines and everything was perfect. Tina, our waitress, was right on top of things, and the food was out of this world.Special Features:
- Steak special was a poor cutOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2013Steak special was a poor cut of filet and the dinner was served warm but not hot. My wife's fish special was okay, very average.
- The reservation did not makeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/29/2013The reservation did not make it to the restaurant. The food was okay the chicken was over cooked and the meats in the shrimp and grits were dry. The sever was very young and a little inexperencied. Being this was are first time we will give it another try on a different night. But not a place that was like WOW we need to go back right away.
- empressedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/9/2013The food was awesome and the drinks were great and the price was exceptionalSpecial Features:
- Great food!Traveler14VIPDined on 1/4/2013everything was great, the performer was really good but they should look for a balance between the size of the space and the volume of the microphone. It was really too loud, just the performer not the crowd noise, for the space. On a Friday nite there was maybe 25 people and she was singing so loud we couldn't hear the waitress, again the crowd wasn't noisy at all.Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012We went there for New Years Eve dinner. The specials were outstanding, the Grouper was just perfect and the Shrimp appetizer was to die for. The server was knowledgable and attentive. We really enjoyed our dining experience.Special Features:
- Great variety of Beers fromRNC11254Dined on 12/29/2012Great variety of Beers from all over. Menu changes frequently, always some great choices.Special Features:
- Speckled Hen is yummyAlisaVIPDined on 12/28/2012The food was outstanding. The menu is well-rounded and interesting. Even the kids' menu was more interesting than most. Try the crawfish. Normally I avoid them since they're so much work, but not here! They're cleaned. ready to eat and delicious!Special Features:
- Food was very good, we hadmjcjDined on 12/22/2012Food was very good, we had the chops and flank steak and both were well prepared and presented. The girls had a martini that tasted like Christmas in a glass! We'll go again even though it's a little bit of a drive from home to get there.
- Loved the food! AbsolutelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/20/2012Loved the food! Absolutely loved the house vodka infusions. We went just to try the cinnamon pear vodka infusion as a friend described it as "Christmas in a Glass" and after trying it...we agree.Special Features:
- since the new ownership tookmaportsVIPDined on 11/17/2012since the new ownership took over, the menu has changed and food quality has gone down. the stuffed chicken was dry and overcooked. food used to be much better.
- First time at the joint, andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012First time at the joint, and we were thoroughly impressed. Food was great, beer and wine selection was superb, but it was the ambiance that was the charmer. Who would have thought such a unique look and feel could be found in a strip mall?Special Features:
- Very nice!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012Cool atmosphere, nice bar, several flat screens to catch the game or the news. Even has a small arcade for the kids. The food is quiet good, flavorful and well executed. Will return!Special Features:
- Brunch was a HUGE fail-don't bothererinroseDined on 10/28/2012I've been here a few times and have enjoyed it, so was excited to try our first brunch there. I brought a group of 10 of us in and have to say that I was very, very disappointed. The menu was mostly lunch/dinner items...a few of them with eggs added in to make them a bit more "brunch-y." There were a few omelets and one egg dish. The online menu made reference to pancakes, but they were not on the menu in the restaurant. Our server did not know the menu. You were out of anduille, which made a lot of your menu obsolete. My Bloody Mary was good, but I shouldn't be charged the same for a virgin as a non. This was an awful brunch experience and I spent most of it apologizing to my guests that I brought them there. Big fail.
- My husband and I discoveredpeeweeVIPDined on 10/19/2012My husband and I discovered Speckled Hen at the end of August and we have dined there five times since. The food is amazing and prices are completely reasonable. Every time we have gone, we have both tried something different and have never been disappointed. This particular visit was on a Friday night and the live music was fun and energetic! We are looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Great food. Great atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012Great food. Great atmosphere. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- The food needs improvement.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012The food needs improvement. I ordered one of the specials; the hangar steak. I ordered it medium rare and it came med. well and was dry. My dad ordered the pork loin. It was dry and hard to cut. Atmosphere good and good vibe but food is fair to bad.
- Witholding final judgementOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2012One of my son's had reccomended we try this local bar/eatery. Unfortunately we were a bit disappointed... perhaps simply because the food didn't live up to what we were expecting. We will try it again simply because we like to support local establishments with the hope that our first experience was an anomoly
- A great spot to bring outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/10/2012A great spot to bring out of town guests! Truffled fries and duck quesadilla were excellent. The meatloaf was so-so, but the ahi tuna salad was delicious. We definitely will be back.Special Features:
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/17/2012Love the selection of wine and beer. The food is always amazing. Love the duck fries...you must try.Special Features:
- This is my second visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/2/2012This is my second visit to the Speckled Hen. I was looking forward to the Truffle Parmesan Fries since they were really good on my first visit. I was disappointed when the server advised that they were out of parmesan and offered romano cheese instead. The fries were dry and the cheese was a dusting of what I would have to assume was romano cheese out of a can. I also ordered the Basil Pesto Gnocci for dinner. Again, disappointed in the lack of flavor. The rest of my group enjoyed their dinner, but it failed in comparison to my first visit.Special Features:
- The food at Speckled Hen isOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/1/2012The food at Speckled Hen is good and the southern cooking is certainly comfortable. I prefer the restaurant for lunch over dinner, as the decor and southern feel seem more upscale bar-b-q joint than fine dining establishment. Speckled Hen is definitely worth a visit to find out for yourself.Special Features:
- An Interesting Dinner DateBrendaVIPDined on 5/21/2012Attentive, unpretentious, accommodating and smart about food and beverage preferences. The Chef adjusted seasonings to suit us without a hassle. Kudos!Special Features:
- We've passed this restaurantMellDined on 5/13/2012We've passed this restaurant many times, but finally decided to try it for Mother's Day. The food was excellent, service wasn't bad and we would definitely return again! Gotta love the $2 mimosasa on Sunday brunch :)Special Features:
- Comfortable English pub feelOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2012Comfortable English pub feel ... but with terrific food. Great beer selection.Special Features:
- Overall good group diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/28/2012Overall good group dining experience. Most of the entrees ordered were good to very good.Special Features:
- My husband and I are regularsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/21/2012My husband and I are regulars at Speckled Hen, but our dinner on Saturday night was the best we have ever had there! To start, we had a new appetizer on the menu, the fried brussel sprouts. They were delicious, and the sauce that came with them had the perfect amount of heat to compliment the brussel sprouts. For my entree, I had the scallops with the corn and tomato salsa, which was amazing. My husband had the monkfish special, which he really enjoyed as well. We are definitely looking forward to trying some of the other new menu items during our next visit!Special Features:
- Loved the fun menu. FromOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012Loved the fun menu. From the Tavern fires, to the goat cheese salad, we were impressed by the flavor and the combinations.Special Features:
- Decent tavern fare at reasonableOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/14/2012Decent tavern fare at reasonable prices with great service. Good place to go to watch sporting events without the loud crowds. I would stay away from the fancy specials and stick with the classic dishes.
- Here's my thing - I've eatenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/8/2012Here's my thing - I've eaten here many times. It seems more now that they're trying to make this a snooty dining experience. It was before, a nice bar with great beer, unique cuisine, and a good old burger. But I paid $8 for the tiniest cup of mediocre tomato soup, and literally a bite of sandwich. For $8 at Chart House, I'd get twice the food, and better. Step up, or you will fail. I for one will consider other places next time. Sad, I used to love Speckled Hen. My drink was good, though. At least your bar remained in touch.
- Never had better serviceLadyDiVIPDined on 4/3/2012I don't think I've ever had better service than at the Speckled Hen Tavern. The beer selection was nothing short of amazing. The food was wonderful. We had appetizers and desserts. My favorite appetizer was the Mac and Cheese; you've got to try it. The banana foster cheesecake was an amazing desert.Special Features:
- Always an excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/24/2012Always an excellent experience and one of our favorites.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/12/2012Visited The Speckled Hen earlier this week, after reading the many great reviews. All in all, I have to say that our visit was just average. The food was good, as was the service, but the nondescript decor, and very noisy Jaycees meeting that was being held in the adjoining room, made the overall experience just barely average. On the positive side, the menu has some unique "Southern Style' dishes on it, and our waitress was knowledgable and attentive. On the down side, the booths are much too small for 4 adults to comfortably fit into, the menu although unique is small and rather limited, the price for the traditional 'comfort food' is quite high, ($150.00 for 4 people)and once inside, looks the same as any other restaurant.Special Features:
- They are trying too hard toOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/10/2012They are trying too hard to be "gourmet" southern but it is missing the mark as food quality is not great especially for the high prices. They should simplify the recipes. Service, while friendy, was a bit pretentious. Impressive beer selection.
- This was my second visit.PignoliJDined on 3/10/2012This was my second visit. I had the shrimp and grits on my first visit and that dish was quite good. The second time out I had the scallops and my spouse had the catch of the day. The portion sizes were small, the flavors just didn't work for either of us, and the presentation was just so-so. And there was no salt or pepper on any of the tables. Perhaps extra seasoning wasn't necessary but I thought it was just a little presumptuous to not even offer them. I had been anxious to try Speckled Hen a second time, but after this visit, it's off my list. Folks who are addicted to Food TV might think this place is the greatest. I'm not convinced.Special Features:
- The food was delicious, butOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/1/2012The food was delicious, but I was very disappointed by the rude server! We may go back and give it another try with another server.Special Features: