Spear Steak and Seafood House
800 W 6th St.
Los Angeles, CA 90017Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Spear Steak and Seafood House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spearrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (213) 688-3000
- Hours of Operation:
Daily Monday-Friday: 11:00am - 2:00am
Monday - Saturday 11:00 am - 2:00 am
Daily M-F: 3:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chef Partner: Greg Paul
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Flower
- Public Transit: 7th Street Metro Center Station is less than two blocks away, making arriving via Red Line convenient.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet available from 4:00pm to 2:00am, beneath the building. Entrance is on the West side of Flower Street between 6th and Wilshire. A service charge of $7 applies.
A word from Spear Steak and Seafood House
The centerpiece of Spear lies in our global-inspired, contemporary Californian cuisine focused on fine artisanal- and locally-sourced ingredients. To complement the menu, our wine list boasts a broad range of approachable, food-friendly selections from around the world. Our cocktail offerings apply the concepts of ingredient-driven mixology to classics and new standards, alike - a reflection of the very spirit of Spear.Continued
With a striking dining room, fireside patios, open kitchen and three private/semi-private spaces, Spear has the perfect setting for any dining event.
With a striking dining room, fireside patios, open kitchen and three private/semi-private spaces, Spear has the perfect setting for any dining event.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Spear Steak and Seafood House - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Spear Steak and Seafood House reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)good for groups (30)great for outdoor dining (23)special occasion (22)great for lunch (21)hot spot (19)neighborhood gem (18)romantic (16)vibrant bar scene (13)notable wine list (9)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Not bad ... eclectic menu & good wine listFoodLuvrVIPDined on 11/18/2014First time there, but the few dishes we tried were very good (sushi, Sea bass, and Salmon). Very attentive service. Will definitely try again. Was told their Happy Hour is pretty nice as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 11/14/2014Service was a bit slow and it was a bit loud in the restaurant. Other than that the food was delicious. The snow crab beignets were different but delicious. The grilled artichoke was a good appetizer. The short rib osso buco was tender and delicious. The bone-in ribeye was very well flavored and didn't need any sauce. It was nice they included the bone marrow. The key lime pie with the candied peel was a good dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointing. one of the worst steaksmichaelVIPDined on 11/12/2014very disappointing. the worst steak ever. the rest of the meal was equally tastless. they should learn how to cook
- Nice for lunchDianeDined on 11/3/2014My companion and I started with the brussel sprout salad. It was very tasty with walnut and red grape halves and just enough blue (or gorgonzola, I don't remember which from the menu) and balsamic to balance the sweet and savory but not be overbearing. The French dip and chicken club sandwiches were delicious. We also shared French fries that came with 3 different aiolis; garlic, lobster and green chili. Each of them were good and the green chili had a nice spiciness to it. The dessert offerings are slim with only 3 choices that they have to tell you verbally because they aren't printed on the menu. Nothing sounded good enough to give up the calories.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014This was our first visit. The staff was very friendly and attentive. My wife ordered a singapore sling expecting a fruity cocktail. The waitress did say in advance that the drink had smokey pinapple vs. regular pineapple. She tried in anyway and ended up sending it back. The manager came over and apologized (not necessary as she was warned). Her cosmo and my martini were served in champange glasses. A bit strange. The steaks were good and cooked perfectly. The garlic mashed didn't seem to have any garlic, but were creamy. The rustic carrots were a nice change of pace. It appears they are trying hard, but things were just a bit off like they haven't hit their stride. We were only two of eight diners in the restaurant .Special Features:
- Office Group LunchKristiq2Dined on 10/31/2014Nice lunch for the office group. Reservations at 1:30 had us as one of only a few tables dining. Lobster roll was yummy.Special Features:
- DavidDavidHDined on 10/28/2014My wife and I came for a nice birthday dinner to be able to sit and talk but could find no quiet table in the place except the lounge but it did not have tables suitable for dinning. We then went and sat to eat in the bar. After 20 minutes and no one came up to serve us, we simply got up and left and took a taxi to another restaurant. What an awful experience.
- B-Day LunchJoycevVIPDined on 10/27/2014Another place that fit the bill for our B-Day celebrations! This time was for Marisol's B-Day! The decor was modern and very pretty. Marisol ordered the Seafood Pasta w/ shrimp, clams, mussels & calamari in a spicy tomato sauce. It looked good and she said it was. I had the Crispy Pork Belly Sandwich w/ crispy shallots, pickled vegetable slaw, cilantro & a Chinese BBQ sauce. It was really tasty. Cassie F., the vegetarian of the group ordered the Brussels Sprouts, cauliflower. Both veggie dishes were really tasty. Our server brought out a complimentary dessert for Marisol and we sang Happy Birthday to her. The room that we were in had great acoustics because if I do say so myself, we sounded great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/23/2014Food was savory and not overly rich. All service staff was friendly and helpful; definitely not saccharine nor aloof. Was a party of 2 and had 3 courses (appetizer, entree and dessert.) Definitely open to eating here again. I'd warn the ladies not to wear high heels--the valet parking is underground and there is a steep slope one has to walk to get to the restaurant.Special Features:
- great option. for lunchDineLAVIPDined on 10/16/2014I didn't realize there is a dining room behind the outdoor seating at the front of the restaurant. The dining room is comfortable and quieter, and the food and service are excellent. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpearTheotherluckDined on 10/3/2014My girlfriend and I ate at Spear before seeing a show downtown. The restaurant was nice and we were seated right away, the service was average at best, we only saw our server a few times. We were checked in on by two different managers but even one of them forgot our request for a second drink. Our artichoke was very undercooked. My fish and broccolinni were cold. My girlfriend loved the braised short ribs and both cocktails she tried. Would not return.Special Features:
- Amazing Happy Hourluv2dineDined on 10/3/2014A must go to place for HH! Everything my friends and I ordered were pretty good. Service was great!Special Features:
- Good experience Avg. high end foodReviewmachineDined on 10/3/2014We went here for a special occasion. It was a very nice place with good customer service. They had a variety of items you could choose from. From casual burgers to $96 steaks. We ordered a filet mignon and crab legs which were both over $30. Food was average compared to other filets and king crab legs we have had previously. Meat for both were tender, but the taste was very average. Overall, we had a great time and good experience and we would definitely go back for a more casual experience, not necessarily for special occasion.I would recommend this to a friend.
- JUST A LITTLE OFF TARGETDBDTDined on 9/30/2014Still a beautiful restaurant inside and out. Smart to have a host downstairs now. Food and drinks were tasty and worth coming back. Our service was just fine when he came around but not particularly attentive throughout our visit. Will give it another month or two before trying again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale ComfortLuvDiningOutVIPDined on 9/30/2014Beautiful open design with high ceilings and lots of light. Very fashionable decor and ambiance. Appealing California cuisine menu emphasizing steaks and seafood. Pizzas are great and the Salmon was perfect. Very attentive and capable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK to GREAT FOOD, EXCELLENT SERVICETacitusDined on 9/29/2014The location was nice, the parking easy to get to. The décor was industrial, but layered with wood and low lighting for a soft glow. The fries were excellent (crisp on the outside - baked potato poofie on the inside), the BBQ shrimp not good at all (textural mess and unsightly as well - the flavors were not balanced and the sauce was not strong enough to stand up to the blast of cilantro). The soup was fantastic and the drinks were perfect. It is the outstanding service that will entice me to return. They advised, made suggestions, and were attentive.Special Features:
- Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/24/2014Heard Spear recently opened and wanted to try a new place for monthly dinner with family/friends. Got lucky and a private room was available so set up was perfect: cozy setting/great service/food was excellent. Had hostess and two managers come to visit and never was without someone asking if we needed anything for more than a few minutes throughout dinner. Will definitely come back!Special Features:
- Just GreatRJArzolaVIPDined on 9/16/2014Great food, great service, wonderful atmosphere. Just go, you'll enjoy it.Special Features:
- Soft opening; could use workdowntownworkerDined on 9/15/2014I understand it was a soft opening, so take this all with a grain of salt. The server was not as helpful as we would prefer. She didn't know what kind of dressings the restaurant had (I asked for a balsamic vinagrette, and just got balsami vinegar). We were hoping the banh mi pizza would be sharable and she said it was a dinner item and would be too small to share amongst 5 people. Overall the presentation and ambiance was good, but the food fell short of expectations both in portion size and flavor. For the fries, it would be better not to stuff the bottom of the cup with paper to give the impression you are getting more when you realize you are getting very little. All our salads did not have barely any dressing on them.
- DeliciousDads80thDined on 9/13/2014I had a yummy birthday dinner with my husband and good friends. I'm not an oyster person, but they were really good! The Oso Buco melted in your mouth and the filet with lobster butter was also a winner. Bread pudding for dessert is a must - lots of caramel and pecans, no raisins. The cocktails sounded really good but that was the least impressive part of the meal. They do have an impressive single malt whiskey list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseHLvFDined on 8/8/2014We decided to choose a new restaurant to try downtown and Le Ka was delightful. Fantastic cocktails, nice menu, not-crazy prices, a beautiful room and unbelievably great service. (No really: our waiter was the perfect blend of familiar and funny but not too much + great service skills.) Must have the twice fried french fries--awesome. Also loved the grilled cesar. The pizza we tried was yum. The 2 pastas we tried were a tiny bit off -- made in-house (good) but cooked to a slightly too al dente level. But overall a delightful evening and a wonderful new find.Special Features:
- MannyatStylistSuiteDined on 8/1/2014Clean, fun, great lighting, attentive server, friendly, and especially good food. Great for groups. And take late reservation. Thank you for the great experience, and all of my friends love it. Will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 187 reviews are from the Spear Steak and Seafood House reviews archive.
- Excellent fresh foodJaneVIPDined on 7/29/2014The menu is changes daily and is combo French and Asian . Our party had the Branzino (sea bass) , Cod, and Duck. The duck was the best but all was very good. I suggest the famous bread pudding for dessert. Service and ambiance was excellent. We were there for a late dinner and selected this restaurant as a result of the 1000 bonus point offer. It will well worth it!Special Features:
- Nice ambiencevisitorDined on 7/10/2014Food was wonderful. Different flavors and combinations. Service could have been less rushed. Waitress removed plates before asking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FSUJennVIPDined on 6/27/2014It was a nice lunch. The food was delicious, get the short rib sandwich! The service was a bit slow though for lunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Place!HappyFoodieDined on 6/20/2014Food was very good. Had multiple small plates, all tasty! The staff was very attentive and fun. I will definitely be back!!Special Features:
- Great AmbianceSalvDined on 6/17/2014I love the atmosphere, it was great for business lunch.Special Features:
- EnjoyableRJArzolaVIPDined on 6/17/2014If you like great food, well prepared and a good portion, this is the place. Everything we had was absolutely delicious and the prices were very reasonable. I'm definitely going back.Special Features:
- Nice relaxing atmosphere, good foodFunandfoodDined on 6/6/2014Great place for a relaxing lunch in a hectic work day. Treat yourself to the Bread Pudding! Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Great Service.SnowstormVIPDined on 6/3/2014Had a great night at Le Ka. Went on a quiet Tuesday night, and enjoyed the ambiance with good service and food. The drinks were AMAZING. And reasonably priced. The Brussels sprouts were the best I've had yet (and I love those little green veggies). The server was friendly and funny. The wait staff kept our water glasses full and the empty plates out of eyesight without disrupting our conversation. I'll be back!Special Features:
- a little dead on the weekendLAOmnivoreDined on 5/31/2014Nice menu, great service, very tasty food. Decor is a little too airport club lounge and the live jazz trio gave it the feeling of a cocktail hour at a wedding. Easy to get a table on a Saturday night, but some more filled tables would've added some energy.
- Definitely will returnsherbear33VIPDined on 5/31/2014Great food and service -- several seafood dishes and all were devine. Love the jazz, patio, etc. etc. I've recommended to several people already. How did I not know about this place? Well, I do now. You should do.Special Features:
- Well worth the drive!JenniPDined on 5/31/2014I found out about Le Ka via a deal voucher site and am so glad I bought in! We opted to sit outside on the patio and had a lovely view of the downtown LA high rise buildings. Despite being on a major street in DTLA, the noise level wasn't bad at all! The service was amazing: attentive without being obtrusive. The drinks were unique and well-made. The food is without comparison. We had a duck pizza drizzled with a passion fruit emulsion...AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/29/2014Great food, good wine selection,service was good too. The restaurant was lovely, very good ambiance ... the steak was not cook perfectly the first time but they change it right away but instead of redoing it they cook it more ...was faster but... Otherwise food was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful placemerpDined on 5/27/2014Le ka is a gorgeous space! Great for happy hour with a very nice outdoor area. Service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Main course?Goldie55Dined on 5/23/2014I thought that the main course of scallops which was $24 or $29 should have more than 3 scallops! My mothers BBQ shrimp appetizer had 3 shrimp!Special Features:
- First time, will be backOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/20/2014This was my first time a Le Ka and I am really happy I went. There were six of us and three of us ordered the albacore burger - it was very good. It came with either soup or salad, and two of us had the broccholini soup, which was good. The service was friendly and the atmosphere nice. The restaurant it's very nice. The only down side is that they did not acknowledge our birthdays and we thought we were going to have desert on the house because of our birthdays, but nothing. :( We had three deserts, one of them the bread pudding - that was my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb/outstanding service by AnnaOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/17/2014Truely the best service we ever received from Anna, the assistant manager for the evening. She is a star who is very geniune and responsive to our concern, which had made our evening unforgettable. Her stellar customer service skill is phenomenal. She will excel in all business arenas because she has possessed the skills which she could turn the a unpleasant situation 180 degree to the best. Anna, please keep it up and we are confident that you'll be a true star in any restaurant business.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2014This place is relaxed an elegant. Modern contemporary with a little live Jazz band playing in the main room. Highly recommend this for date nights and causal dinning out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!mikef11Dined on 5/11/2014Came here for Mother's Day brunch and was very impressed! It was the first time here for everyone in my party (all 5 of us) and we were all delighted. When we arrived it was kind of on the quiet side because brunch was almost over. The manager came over and introduced himself to me and he was very kind and gracious for our business. He insisted we were absolutely fine to dine as long as we'd like. We sat outside and enjoyed the nice weather on the great patio. All the Mother's (my mom and grandma and my other half's mother) were very happy with the place. The food was absolutely delicious, every single item was melt in your mouth goodness. This place is stellar and deserves as many 5 stars as it can get. I will definitely be back!Special Features: