769 Laurel Street
San Carlos, CA 94070Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spassosc.com/
- Phone: 6505925886
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch:monday to friday 11:30-2:30 Saturday and Sunday 11:30-3:30
Dinner:monday to Friday 5:00-10:00 Saturday 3:30-10:00 Sunday 3:30-9:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: ramiro nolazco
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, BYO Liquor, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We can cater your special events; please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Hold your next special event at Spasso.
We can arrange the tables any way you want. The dining room can accommodate 58 guests. Please call for details and pricing.
- Private Party Contact: Kurt 6505339662
A word from Spasso
Spasso features Italian, Mediterranean cuisine and Tapas. Spasso has been a new favorite neighborhood destination located in San Carlos on Laurel Street. Spasso features an extensive Napa Valley and Italian wine selection, and a full bar with specialized cocktails are available. Our waitstaff are consistently friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. And, the atmosphere is lively and exciting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spasso reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)great for outdoor dining (23)special occasion (21)fit for foodies (18)great for lunch (17)good for groups (15)notable wine list (11)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (6)romantic (6)hot spot (5)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Well Done!mastewaDined on 9/26/20141st date, excellent waiter suggested surprise appetizers, great bottle of wine, outdoor dining, well done!Special Features:
- Come for the appetizers then leavethansVIPDined on 9/20/2014This restaurant was a major disappointment. They seem to have 2 waiters for the entire restaurant and they need at least 4. I can understand why they have 2 because on the night when we had a 7:30 reservation, it seemed like everybody else did as well. As a matter of fact they had no reservations after 7:30. We arrived a bit early and the only way we could be seated anywhere near on time was if we were willing to sit outside which we weren't so we weren't seated, until 7:50 and we were the first 7:30 reservations to be seated. They took our drink service quickly, we ordered a bottle of wine. Then we waited half an hour to have our dinner orders taken. The appetizers were excellent, the rest of the meal was mediocre at best.
- Always a great experienceLJHADined on 9/10/2014I've had lunches and dinners many times over the years. The food always surprises me with its goodness, and the service is superb. Love this place, and so happy its nearby.
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/5/2014Fresh salads Delicious"grilled" calamari ( much better than fried) The Friday night special with scallops and pasta is divine. The pasta was tasty and done to perfectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HmmmPickyEaterDined on 9/3/2014I've eaten here multiple times and in the past the food has been excellent. I took a work group here and for the first time I had the impression that the chef was trying way too hard to make fancy food taste good. it was not bad, but also nothing to write home about if you can understand that comment. Service was great. Our waiter, as well as the rest of the service team, was very attentive and spot on
- ChrisPDined on 8/30/2014Excellent food and waiter. Manager honored a 6 year old gift certificate, which was very nice. Noise level was too high because we were seated near a loud party. However would really recommend restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love their food!LindyVIPDined on 8/18/2014I have eaten here several times and have never been disappointed. They have a great selection of tapas and starters, which I love. I've tried their bruschettas, the mushroom polenta (yum), the polenta cubes, and their grill eggplant caprese. All were delicious! My friend wanted the warm cabbage salad which didn't sound appealing to me but I think I ate 2/3 of it - it was amazing! Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- eileenVIPDined on 8/17/2014The food and the service was excellent. Our waitress was very nice attentive and professionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good serviceDinesoutoftenVIPDined on 8/9/2014Good was good. Hostess lacked enthusiasm. Service was excellent. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eanderDined on 7/27/2014an enjoyable experience. First time there. Would be happy to recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant!JaneDined on 7/26/2014Loved our dinner at Spasso. I have a seafood allergy and our waiter very graciously created an appetizer sampler plate without seafood that I could enjoy with the rest of my group. We each had a different dinner, veal, fish, lamb and each dinner was excellent. The wait staff was friendly and always available to us. This was our first visit but it won't be our last.Special Features:
- Had a great time for bday dinnerowinegarDined on 7/19/2014The staff were extremely friendly. They were great with my 2 kids and served their meals first and dessert while my husband and I enjoyed our dinner. The only reason I did not give them 5 stars is because it took a little too long for our main dish to arrive.Special Features:
- RonRonnieDined on 7/12/2014Good selection of entrees. The lamb was superb. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- ForzaCurly2Dined on 6/28/2014Every time we go it's always great food and great serviceSpecial Features:
- Outstanding food excellent servicefoodieDined on 6/26/2014I used the Yep reviews and selected this restaurant for dining with out of town visitors on a Thursday night. The place was bustling but the staff was attentive and the service was excellent. The food was outstanding, we loved the appetizers (crab cakes, eggplant and portobello), our dinner (salmon, clams, special of the day fish) and desserts (new york cheese cake and bread pudding). I will recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is good; Food is so sobruincalVIPDined on 6/21/2014Service was good and our server was very polite. However, the food is below expectation. We ordered seafood linguini and Spasso chicken bolognese. The pastas were over cooked and were very soft. The bolognese sause was very watery without any flavors. More spices should have added to the dishes to enhance the taste.
- My favorite spotLucy7083VIPDined on 6/15/2014I love this restaurant. Whether I am alone or with friends the food and service is excellent.Special Features:
- Disappointing experience this time.Dmeaness1Dined on 6/1/2014We've eaten here before and the experience was very positive. The ambiance, service, cocktails and food were good. We thought we'd found our "go to" place only to be disappointed with our next visit. The food was fair, the waiter was entertaining and attentive in the beginning but I ended up bussing our table and had to ask the hostess who was busy chatting with the bartender for our check. The hostess that sat us was not the same as the one at the end of our meal. The gal that greeted us and sat us was the best thing about the restaurant sadly.
- The following 503 reviews are from the Spasso reviews archive.
- Special occasion/ any occasionkirsDined on 5/24/2014Spasso continues to be one of our favorite neighborhood restaurants. Kurt and his staff are wonderful and the food is always amazing. Thy cartered our sons First Communion and everyone raved about the food. We bring out of town guests and we go just because.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodloverforlife64Dined on 5/23/2014Wonderful Lamb. Very delicious crab cakes. I usually go to Spasso when I visit my family in San Carlos. They are consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, better & best !OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014WONDERFUL SERVICE, SUPERIOR FOOD, AND VERY GOOD AMBIANCE!Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood restaurant!ThePetiteFoodieDined on 5/11/2014This was my first time at Spasso. We were greeted as we walked in and promptly escorted to our table. The staff were attentive, the food is delicious. We had the calamari appetizer and ordered three different pasta dishes as entrees. Each dish was delicious, and everyone was happy! I ordered the tiramisu for dessert, and it was a perfect ending to my nice meal. Spasso is a great neighborhood restaurant and I will definitely be back when I'm in the mood for Italian food and prefer to dine locally!Special Features:
- I eat here often and...hungryladyDined on 5/11/2014we purposely asked for a table outside because it can get really loud inside. However, the staff made the outside distractingly loud. There was a constant banging of dishes as they hastily cleared tables and dragging tables and chairs all over the pavement to reconfigure for the next seating. This happened 8 or 10 times in the 90 minutes we were dining and was distracting and repeatedly interrupting of our conversation. It is completely preventable and disrespectful to all those dining outside. Have to say the food was a disappointment this time which it usually is not. Lamb pita had lovely bread but contained only a few bits of overcooked and dry lamb that looked left from a previous cooking. Desserts lovely!Special Features:
- Good Neighborhood RestaurantjksancarlosVIPDined on 5/5/2014We come here fairly often as it is convenient and they have free corkage on Sundays and Mondays. The food is good as is the service. Seating could be better and it is usually quite loud. Don't expect a quiet romantic spot and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- a very nice luncheileenVIPDined on 5/4/2014the food was excellent and the service was wonderful. our waiter was very nice and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delight !PamAVIPDined on 5/3/2014You can always count on SPASSO to provide a delightful dining experience. The food is consistently excellent and nicely presented. The service is attentive and friendly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/28/2014A wonderful Pork Chop entree, super Caesar Salad, with very fresh and crisp lettuce. Great Decaf Coffee, which is hard to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/26/2014I had a lovely experience at Spasso's! The service was excellent and for maost part, the food was delicious. I ordered the halibut with mashed potatoes and there seemed to be a funny taste with the sauce and with the mashed potatoes. Otherwise, everything was fabulous. Thank-you!Special Features:
- We were thrilled!KittyGirlDined on 4/24/2014My husband and I met another couple here for dinner one evening. We had never been here before, but they had been and recommended it. The food was amazing! We shared a polenta appetizer that was delicious! I had the fish special of the evening; it was seabass and it was moist, flavorful, and seasoned just right. My husband ordered scallops and they were cooked perfectly. We had some really good food, friendly and attentive service, and GREAT company with whom to enjoy it! We WILL be back... And, eventually, we will try everything on their menu!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiencetzep202Dined on 4/21/2014Went with a friend for lunch. The decor was very nice and being that it wasn't too crowded, the noise level was low. We both had the warm cabbage salad with chicken. It was very good except the chicken was a bit dry. The service was excellent. I would go again to try the other things on the menu.Special Features:
- I love SpassoJLFergVIPDined on 4/21/2014The service is always friendly and first-rate. The food is always delicious. The drinks are always refreshing. Dining here feels like a celebration. We often go with small plates (crab spring rolls, piquollo peppers, polenta cubes, the beef carpaccio) and drink wine or champagne and end with a split piece of cheesecake and coffee. This is a delightful place to sit at an outside table and watch the passing people and their dogs.Special Features:
- Was great, now not so greatNorahVIPDined on 4/9/2014Service is still the best. Great ambiance. For some reason the food doesn't taste as good as it once did.Special Features:
- Don't rush usOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/5/2014Great experience overall - enjoyed the food, great menu choices, ambiance was comfortable, server was helpful and funny, and the wine we had was delicious. The only note I would recommend for improvement is to not be so quick to rush our plates away after dinner. We had one person at our table who really likes to take her time eating. There were 5 attempts to take her plate away before she was done - all different people trying to be helpful, but after the 2nd request, it felt less helpful and more like they're pushing to get us out the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was our 57th wedding anniversarypokeyDined on 4/3/2014It was our 57th wedding anniversary and we had an enjoyable time. Had dinner with family. Food was good. It was early enough that it wasn`t too noisy. Later on it tends to be extremely loud.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationLornaViDined on 3/23/2014My husband made this res for us to celebrate my birthday! The food was great, we brought our own bottle of wine and because it was a Sunday the corkage was free. We did order cocktails and they we're relish. The service was great ( I do t like to feel rushed). The only complaint was that there was a large party next to us, of 10 people that were a little noises but not a big deal to me. I would definitely go back. I had the lamb (delish) my husband the pork chop which was tastey though slightly sweet with raisins in the sauce. The gran marnier creme brûlée was a great ending to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceAtoZVIPDined on 3/22/2014Been coming to Spasso for some time now. Friendly staff and good foodSpecial Features:
- great sevice,good food,very satisfymmdmDined on 3/20/2014We had a 8pm dinner on a Thursday night and the place was packed. The service was great. Our waiter was very nice, make sure all of us are taken care of, accommodating of our requests. Food is good, not like wow wow. We ordered calamari and mozzarella eggplant. Both are good, but need little bit more salt for the calamari. Seafood pasta has MORE seafood than pasta which worth the $ you paid. Although, we all love pasta, but absolutely no complain about the portion of the food. Descent size. Dessert, we ordered the chocolate lava cake, tiramisu, bread pudding. Out of all, surprisingly, bread pudding score the dessert. All of us were very happy with the overall experience. We will definitely good back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OliviaVIPDined on 3/14/2014We love this restaurant! The food was phenominal! Great service and not too hard on the pocketbook:-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual Dining at it's BestBooperNJDined on 3/12/2014I made an early afternoon reservation for a business dinner and was more than pleasantly surprised. From the flatbread tapas to the entrees, the food was superb. Menu offers a great balance of old favorites and new trends as well as healthy choices. Our server was charming, and made some great suggestions. Meal was well-paced. It was the perfect end to a long day. I will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- revisitedbanjoDined on 3/12/2014My most recent visit was a disappointment. It was extremely noisy. Good was OK, service was OK, but it is a change from several previous visits where everything was very good. A change in the wrong direction.