New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://spassonyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 858-3838
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm-10:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm. Sunday: 5:30pm-10pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12pm - 3pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12pm - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Edward Carew
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Spasso NYC
Spasso is a rustic, neighborhood eatery in the heart of the West Village, with a seasonal menu inspired by food and wine from across Europe and the Mediterranean.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spasso NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (15)romantic (13)great for outdoor dining (10)great for brunch (9)good for groups (7)special occasion (6)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Near perfection...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2014Went back to Spasso for a 2nd time this weekend and, if possible, was even better than my first visit. Really cute atmosphere with great service and amazing food. I've been there now for brunch and dinner and the only thing that wasn't perfect was a salad I ordered without bleu cheese came out with cheese. However, they realized the mistake and corrected it immediately. Just found out that they have live music on Saturday, Sunday and Mondays too, so we stuck around for some Sunday night jazz and drinks which was awesome! Really love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indifferent servicetastyVIPDined on 11/8/2014We've been to Spasso and have always enjoyed it. We frequently take our out of town guests here. We haven't been in a while and had a very disappointing experience. In short, our waiter just could have cared less. Appetizers were forgotten, wine bottle were left on the table unopened for 15 minutes, food was cold, .. the list goes on. Such a shame as it used to be such a warm place. Oh, the 50+ couple making out at their table for 30 mins wasn't exactly the mood we were looking for either.
- Would go againSeelyaDined on 10/24/2014Not inexpensive, but a nice option for a last-minute change of plans on a Friday night. Pleasant ambiance, gets a bit loud at full capacity (just the acoustics--it's not that they're blasting music). Excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyRedAdManDined on 10/17/2014It was a little pricey for what it was. Service was spotty.
- Great!DineWell1Dined on 9/28/2014I've eaten there quite a few times for brunch and it's never disappointing.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood placefdrnycVIPDined on 9/27/2014We had a nice meal sitting outside on a Saturday night. They were out of the pasta dish we wanted to order so my husband had the spaghetti w/ eggplant. It was solid. The octopus app was average. The octopus was warm but the vegetables were cold from the fridge. There wasn't a lot of flavor in the dish. We loved the homemade stracciatella cheese. We were disappointed to see glasses of wine for $17 which was recommended by the server. On the other hand, the house red and white were just fine at $9/glass. The outside tables are dog-friendly. The music inside was blasting--impossible to hear anything. We would go back since it's close by but we would not go here for a really special meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spot!ANNIEVIPDined on 9/20/2014Food, service, and ambience are all perfect as long as you don't mind some loud beats while you eat!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/14/2014The boozy brunch deal on the weekends is a steal - $34 for a side, main course and unlimited mimosas. I brought out of town visitors here and they loved it. The ricotta pancakes are excellent.Special Features:
- We love SpassomarzanneDined on 9/13/2014The food is fantastic. Truly everything on the menu is delicious. It's seasonal and changes regularly. Fantastic Kale Salad, fried oyster special, the chicken is to die for! Delicious pastas! Ingredients are beautiful, seasonal. Ed, the chef/owner really cares about quality. The ambiance is warm and sophisticated. The wait staff is knowledgeable, super nice. We had our rehearsal dinner here so this is always a special treat for us to dine here.Special Features:
- Neighborhood findSnapscarolineVIPDined on 8/20/2014I love this little gem in the west village. great italian food with reasonable prices and amazing service. My waitress was incredibly helpful in suggesting a new wine that I loved and was patient when my friends couldn't make a menu decision. All around always a great place to dine al fresco in the west village.Special Features:
- Waited foreverFoodloverVIPDined on 8/13/2014My son in law raved about the place. We went. Limited menu. Food not great. Steak was like chewing gum. Kitchen so slow, they took a significant percentage off our bill w/out even asking. I wouldn't recommend this place and I never usually complain.
- JamieVIPDined on 8/3/2014Recently changed the menu which now has less pasta options which is unfortunate because there pasta is always delicious! Rigatoni Pork Ragu was really delicious! Always happy when dining here.Special Features:
- FinallyWrkdinVIPDined on 8/1/2014I finally went to Spasso after hearing so much about it. It is a neighborhood gem, and lives up to its reputation. Great for a Sunday meal or for a chill night with an out of town guest.Special Features:
- The following 115 reviews are from the Spasso NYC reviews archive.
- Not worth returningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/23/2014First visit 2 years ago was a pleasant dinner experience overall. Now I found Spasso unreasonably expensive for the overall return in product, service and experience. Will not return.
- Spasso RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014The food and service were very good. However, there was too much noise and a bad practice of packing in guests one next to the other instead of interspersing guests so that there will be some privacy and quiet time at least in the beginning of the meal for those of us who are early diners.Special Features:
- An average red sauce restaurantAnthonyVIPDined on 7/21/2014No need to go out of the way. There are restaurants like this in every neighborhood.
- Hudson Street CharmerVillageDinerVIPDined on 7/13/2014Second visit to Spasso and second good experience. We were seated promptly at a nice window table and served immediately. For starters we had the summer vegetable salad (excellent), the chicken meatballs (good) and the octopus (good). Main courses were trout (excellent), rigatoni (excellent) and roast chicken (good). Spasso has lots of wines by the glass and we found a nice Rhone and a good Pinot Grigio (although it was not properly chilled). The atmosphere on a summer Sunday evening was lively but not intrusive and we had no problem conversing. Dessert of cherry sherbet was slightly disappointing. The service is friendly and willing but slightly incompetent. Price with wine, dessert, coffee and tip was a fair $90 pp. We would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Place...Mostlynickname1VIPDined on 7/12/2014Food was excellent; well prepared and nicely served. Servers were friendly and mostly responsive. However, style is somewhat miserly; small portions (a saucer-sized amount of very fine gazpacho for $10, instead of a bowl) and a ridiculous $4 charge for bread, which, while good bread, consisted of only 4 half-slices, and butter brought with it only on request. Top-notch wine list had nothing under $40/bottle and needs a few more choices in the $40-50 range.Special Features:
- $26 for pasta??bobkatDined on 7/10/2014We have eaten several excellent lunches and dinners at Spasso, with their seasonal menus always interesting and beautifully prepared. And have paid a bit more than old Villagers like to pay. HOWEVER when pasta runs into the $20+ dollar range (and there was nothing like truffles or other très cher ingredients involved), the restaurant management needs to get a grip. The whole food scene in the West Village is ridiculous and Spasso is just one example.Special Features:
- Great get together placeOrcayVIPDined on 6/23/2014Had dinner here with 2 friends and we enjoyed the food. Our waitress made a few good recommendations. I ordered the lamp chop and it was one of the best lamp chops I ever had. My friend ordered the swordfish and it was cooked perfectly. The swordfish came out tender and that was an awesome surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth itUwsDinerDined on 6/10/2014Great ambience, excellent service and food. The trout and the straciatelli cheese were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good atmosphere..not very good foodsevenhillsDined on 6/8/2014We were group of four ppl.it was my choice to go to Spasso..becuse i have been here before. Appetizers were very good but none of us were very happy with entrées.we were very happy with our waiter she was very helpfull and very knowledged about menu.real pro..i would recommend Spasso for early evening spot with decent wine selection and good appetizer...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite spotmarzanneDined on 6/7/2014This is a wonderful restaurant. The food is consistently delicious and the staff is welcoming and knowledgeable. The chef uses the best seasonal ingredients. The pastas and salads are outstanding and the chicken is to die for. We wend back with some friends for our 6-month wedding anniversary (we had our rehearsal dinner here) and had a wonderful time. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu.Special Features:
- Modern & AuthenticMissKyleaVIPDined on 5/18/2014Spasso doesn't disappoint - we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and had another amazing meal here. The quality of produce is outstanding, interesting combinations, and always consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in west villageSkt18Dined on 5/16/2014Lively but not noisy. Excellent apps especially the homemade meatballs and Stracciatella cheese with beets. Wait staff couldn't be more attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service? What service?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/11/2014Food was great, the service was horrible. I would really like to recommend this restaurant to friends but they will hate the service.Special Features:
- What is happening?FoodieDined on 5/7/2014Wondering what is going on. One day during the Tribeca Film Festival they were closed for lunch with no reason. Then the night we went, they required cash only, saying their computer was down. The hostess seemed confused about which table to give us, even though all window seats were empty and one was set for 4 and we had to wait several minutes. Once settled, the evening turned out much more comfortable.Special Features:
- Great find in the West Village!EVFoodieVIPDined on 4/9/2014Absolutely loved our experience at Spasso. The waitress was attentive and knowledgeable and the food was delicious. We ordered the gluten free pasta and were pleasantly surprised with the quality.Special Features:
- Continues to be great!chrisandwashVIPDined on 2/21/2014Went to Spasso last minute with my sister and, as usual, it did not disappoint. Wine list is a little pricey, but the house wine is reasonably priced and very good. Food is fresh and is very good every time I visit. Thanks for being a great neighborhood place!Special Features:
- Amazing Ricotta PancakesJamie2499VIPDined on 2/15/2014The ricotta pancakes rival Maialino's. They are so amazing that I've come back twice already specifically just for those.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placeNYCmumVIPDined on 2/7/2014Place was crowded on a Friday night, they tried to accommodate us to stay longer, but you can feel that they are waiting for your table. Food was good, fun place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodSpeechDined on 2/4/2014Delicious appetizers and pasta. Very innovative preparation. All in our party of four are sophisticated foodies and we enjoyed everything. A real find. A great go to place to sit at bar and have drinks and appetizers as well as dinner. Our server was helpful and funny as well. We enjoyed the entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time here and stillJamieVIPDined on 1/30/2014Third time here and still enjoy it. Have never had a bad meal yet. The stracciatella is delicious, and the pasta is always tasty! The bomboloni were really good as well! Hip, cool, lively spot!Special Features:
- Delicious dinner!LindsayDined on 1/19/2014Have been to this restaurant a couple of times and have loved it every time! Staff is very friendly and food is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in being averageJcooperDined on 1/11/2014Nothing special was the gist of Adam Platt's review in NY Mag and he's right. It's pretty bad.Special Features:
- Nice job this timeAustinVIPDined on 1/3/2014Only issue was a bored server and poor water service. Everything else was top-notch as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chair Kickingly GreatChrisVIPDined on 12/28/2013Even if a meal is excellent, when your chair is continually kicked throughout an evening it takes away from the great service and ambiance. I sat with my friend near the bar next to other two-tops and my chair was kicked a good 3 dozen times. Fix your tables, Spasso. It's called seating design. Other NYC restaurants with less space seem to be able to handle this concept.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service disappointingkatdDined on 12/7/2013My friend and I came to Spasso for dinner on Saturday night. The food was delicious and the hostess was lovely. However - and this is a big however - the service once we were seated was terrible. We actually had to stop someone to ask to have our water glasses filled and stop somebody else in order to order a glass of wine. When our waitress finally came over, she did not even introduce herself, she just asked if we were ready to order. We both ordered pasta entrees and nobody came over to offer us fresh pepper or grated cheese. Lastly, we were not offered coffee or dessert. The waitress simply brought us the check. The experience was cold and impersonal. What a shame.Special Features:
- Fabulous food but very noisy!suzieVIPDined on 11/15/2013Very festive scene. Highlights were the brussels sprouts and pasta dishes. A bit too expensive and extremely noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hearty eatingBawledVIPDined on 10/18/2013Small but hearty, tasty portions. Service was superb. Staff is friendly, very helpful. Bustling area with much foot traffic passing outdoor diners and window. Good spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.